Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

almost done with the pre-sequel glad there isnt a borderlands 3 rip gearbox in peace

i only have 14 games left from the summer sale to play. i'm gonna start Dex next and i'm also playing rpgmaker game Stargazer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm done with tales games too many bland experiences with them and their clunky outdated battle and menu systems.
Ys games are just so much more engaging and feel so much better to play as far as japanese action rpgs go imo.
I tried playing Tales of Symphonia and the combat was so bad. hit hit hit special, wait, hit hit hit special, wait, over and over and over

its hard to compare anything with Ys tho cause that's as good as it gets

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel as though, lately, video games are Good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Symphonia is like 15 years old and has the worst combat out of all of the 3D ones.

Comparing Tales to Ys is apples and oranges, Takes are traditional JRPG's that have more actiony combat, Ys is an an action RPG that accidentally has a story.
I wish there was a good JRPG with actionny 'encounters', I didnt enjoy Symphonia, or Star Ocean 3 which are like that. I want to try Radiata Stories at some point. The only game like that that I've enjoyed enough to beat was Devil Summoner: 1920s demon detective samurai agency

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So, we're about halfway through Generation 8 of Consoles, how's everyone feeling about it? Are video games still good? Is this the last gen? What are the standout titles?
A lot of the standout titles of this generation for me have been on PC or Nintendo.

Strider 2014
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Tales From the Borderlands
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Mario & Luigi Dream Team (I really liked it, I know a lot of people dont like it as much)
Why Am I Dead at Sea
Undertale
Stanley Parable
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Environmental Station Alpha
Shantae & the Pirate's Curse
Full Bore
Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
Professor Layton & the Azran Legacy
Etrian Odyssey 4
Invisible Inc
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Life is Strange
Ori & the Blind Forest
Sherlock Crimes & Punishments
The Swapper
The Talos Principle
Technobabylon
Contradiction: Spot the Liar
Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein: The New Order/Old Blood
Shovel Knight
Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo
Fire Emblem Awakening
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
DKC Returns Tropical Freeze
SMT IV

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 2, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mankind divided will have "aug lives matter" in it this will go great

they didnt even use correct grammar

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://store.steampowered.com/app/503300/?snr=1_5_9__205

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

good news firstaidkite http://store.steampowered.com/app/495910/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

precision posted:

It's weird how in the past couple years the poles have flipped and now indie games are more predictable than AAA games.

e: which isn't to say they're bad games, but the subject matter is gettin stale
i'll talk about this for a little bit

The gigantic rise of indie games came from many genres being under-represented (or not represented at all) on the video gaming landscape. With any phenomenon you are going to have your me-toos and "oh there's money in it huh?" people. There are now a billion indie platformers but there was a time around 10 years ago when it felt like platformers were dead as a genre. When the concept of a 'story game' was The Path, and the only way to find point and click adventures was to go to Adventure Game Studios' forums.

Just the sheer deluge of indie games now is at such a higher rate, it reminds me of the 1990 era of PC gaming. You have your Monuments of Mars sure but you also have your Moraff's Pinball. Remember shareware CDs and how they'd boast about having OVER 1000 GAMES on them? That was that era's Humble Bundle. When I was a kid we had a shareware CD that had a virus on it and I kept stupidly loving up my computer because I kept wanting to play the one game on the CD that I really liked.

I think you take the good with the bad because for a while the top PC download sites were Happy Puppy (run by a bad person) and Home of the Underdogs where freeware, abandonware and piracy intermixed (not that I have a problem with piracy anymore). It's now so much easier to find the good stuff compared to when you either had to take a chance on poo poo or wait for a client like Tiggit to arrive (rip Tiggit).

The innovation will keep coming but it's always single thinkers that burst onto the scene and then others get inspired to do their own takes. That's how it always goes.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 3, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CrashCat posted:

good god Moraff, I swear I put in tons of hours in Moraff's lovely dungeon game not even realizing how much better alternatives there were
Back in the 90s the only way to judge shareware was popularity because there wasn't like, a comprehensive indie gaming review scene back then. PCG/CGW only cared about the important titles.

How many people must have suffered through Ken's Labyrinth not knowing that DOOM existed... (actually that's not fair because DOOM shareware actually was sold in computer stores so it had a lot of visibility)

That's the other hosed up thing is that if you didn't have BBS access you sometimes had to buy shareware from a store that otherwise was meant to be given away for free.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm surprised that there isn't some blatant undertale knockoff on steam yet. I guess it's a bit too complex for people to just quickly me-too like they can with FNAF-likes or survival games or retro platformers
there aren't literal knockoffs but I'd say princess remedy and anodyne have some small similarities

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its like trump they can't just shut up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Polygon spoke to the game’s executive art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête during E3 2015, when new trailers for Mankind Divided engendered industry discomfort. He, like Vu, waved off criticisms as "completely ridiculous."

"It’s a form of art, the people outside don’t think it’s art; it’s just 'stupid games,'" he said. "We’re fighting against those people. And then when we’re dealing with serious subjects suddenly we’re treated as little kids that are just doing video games again."

STOP CRITICIZING OUR GAME, ITS ART

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Palpek posted:

Is this about that one concept art piece or something more substantial?
the art statement was about their use of the phrase "mechanical apartheid" but today they've now come out and said that 'Aug Lives Matter' is not a BLM reference, it's a coincidence and they came up with it first. also see the bizarre "neutral take on segregation" statement above

like if you're gonna do something then fuckin own it, don't trip over yourself trying to half-rear end walk it back

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stexils posted:

i mean i get what theyre trying to say but their pr person clearly has no idea how to word things, which id think would be the primary requirement for being a pr person
the way they word it makes it sound like they're going to prove both sides of loving segregation which would be Bioshock Infinite 2.0

i dont THINK they're that stupid but they are definitely head up rear end at the very least

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

I can't believe that a Deus Ex game would use cobtemporary real-world groups and symbols for its story. I mean, what's next, making your plot be about Big Pharma at a time when health care is dominating modern politics? Using secessionist anti-government militias when literally hundreds of people are being killed by them across the country? Dedicating like a third of your game to a war between rival coffee chains when Starbucks are popping up on every street corner?
It's not about contemporary real-world groups though, they claim it's just a coincidence

they're not owning it so you can't make that argument

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that said I am looking at nintendo's youtube whitelist for lets plays

it's surprising how many copyrights they dont own. like I know there are rights issues with the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy, but apparently they don't own Kirby either (HAL does I guess?). no kirby games on the whitelist, no Smash games on the whitelist, no Pokemon on the white list, no obscure Nintendo-published games like Drill Dozer on the white list, no super mario RPG on the whitelist (Square), no Mother/Earthbound on the whitelist

but they do own star fox adventures and that's on the whitelist even though rare made it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Capcom ports of their old stuff are doing really well for them so I'd expect a lot more of that.
they need to port the Breath of Fire series to Steam starting with Dragon Quarter the Best one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

There were also those weird captain n comics that had samus in them as this extremely forward lady who was so forward in her advances that she made captain n uncomfortable

samus what is happening to your anatomy in panel 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just download M2R as soon as it goes live so you dont have to worry about it. it'll end up getting mirrored anyway

Nintendo sends out C&Ds if it is competing with something they are selling. they send C&Ds to Mario remakes because they're on Virtual Console, they went after Zelda Maker because, presumably, it's an idea they likely intend on exploring themselves. I maintain that Mother 4 will not get very far unless they change their name because free as it is, the naming is intentionally misleading, and that's one of the few examples where Nintendo could actually argue in court for damages because of misrepresentation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ventana posted:

That would require Nintendo to care about anything about Mother in relation to the West.

:smith:
they'll care in the sense that they released Earthbound 0 last year

if they renamed themselves to Father 4 or something I doubt they'd give a gently caress. they didnt give a gently caress about Star Fox Animated after they renamed it and called the main character Fawks McClaeioud

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have shadows of mordor still installed because i got the GOTY version so i still have the DLC campaigns to do

but drat its like 50 gigs installed and i dont get how, the world size isnt large the textures arent megatextures. it must be the cutscenes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fffffffffffuuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFsJyRX2m4

its obv just a prototype right now and they need to better integrate the tiles into the game world but the animation is lookin good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want them to put out a Metroid Maker with their engine.
Nintendo went after Zelda Maker so they shouldnt

(although they left Zelda Classic alone because I guess it's been on the internet for a decade already so there'd be no point)

someone did release this for game developers though: https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-free-game-templates/metroidvania-game-kit-1319

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There are people who say "they have to protect their copyright or it'll hurt them in court" but that only applies to trademark and:

1) they have done NOTHING to litigate against the use of the term Metroidvania which is far more damaging to their trademark
2) even if it did apply to copyright, Nintendo has allowed Zelda Classic and its thousands of fan-made campaigns to exist for over a decade without doing anything, and it hasn't affected their ability to create from or defend their Zelda IP

besides, copyright law is outdated and in need of reform, and AM2R keeps people talking about Metroid which is only good for nintendo and their probably bad federation force game

i don't think they can argue damages or misrepresentation here

I still think Mother 4 is in trouble if they don't change their name though

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 8, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

btw everyone should try Zelda Classic at some point http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

soooo many community-made zelda games

this one looks cool http://www.zeldaclassic.com/viewquest.php?q=341

this engine/community has been online for over, what, 15 years maybe? it could be argued it is blatant infringement of Zelda which is on Virtual Console and Nintendo has never gone after it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 8, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not even sure what your Metroidvania argument is since Metroidvania is just a term used to describe a genre, not the name of a game or something.
a genericized trademark can refer to a class of product and Nintendo has basically failed to protect the Metroid name from being used commercially by other games as part of their brand. like, I don't know what the legal precedent is when it comes to portmanteaus but I doubt it would fly in court if Nintendo were to actually push against it. they just haven't bothered to

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I was talking trademark law and calling yourself a Metroidvania, I think that there is a case to be made that just because you smushed a trademark next to another set of syllables doesnt make it legally fine. if Sony was like "we have a new film, it's a Batmanazoid" i think DC/WB would definitely go 'uh hi excuse me? no'

Just putting "our game is inspired by Super Metroid" in the description is not a problem of any kind but that's not what I meant

like I'd say roguelike would totally be a genericized trademark if the original Rogue was trademarked (was it?? idk). bear in mind that actually holding a trademark requires paying yearly as opposed to copyright existing as soon as a work is made without having to send it to the library of congress

e: actually, I probably have DC/Marvel to thank for this argument because they're the ones who have a trademark for "Super Hero" which is nebulous and all-encompassing, a word used as genre, a word used not just for one product, etc.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 8, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

axleblaze posted:

I think having your product name be a description is something you can't really protect against. Like you can say DC would have a problem with your example but I can't think of any cases where that's actually happened while I can easily think of company names that have become descriptors for generic products and there was nothing they could do.
That's where this gets interesting. Nintendo in the 90s had to fight off their own name becoming a generic trademark. You most likely recall when EVERYTHING was called a Nintendo (or at least your parents might have called everything a Nintendo). Nintendo was able to fight off the erosion of their trademark by pushing the term "game console". So like, the reason that everyone says consoles now, is because Nintendo campaigned to ingrain it. I wish there was more about this online because Wikipedia only cites a couple of articles that mention it offhand, I'd love to know the particulars.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no, if they're using existing assets then that's infringement no matter what. like I want copyright law to be reformed but you still shouldn't just lift art/music assets unless you're transforming them in some way under fair use law. the trademark thing was just a discussion that derailed a bit. i listed it as one example of something nintendo doesnt give a gently caress about

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

They are using existing assets. They even talked about it on the AM2R stream that was going on earlier, how they used a lot of existing Zero MIssion assets but created new ones for the endgame.
Man... I can't defend that then. Like, Mother 4 is all new artwork, music, everything. Do it that way. I'm still concerned about that game because calling it Mother 4 is intentional misrepresentation but if they were to change their name I don't think Nintendo could do a dang thing

But -- like I said before. Zelda Classic. On the internet for over a decade. Uses Zelda assets. Calls itself Zelda. Many Zelda games made with it. Nintendo ain't care. I'm hoping the DMCA on Metroid Paradise is a troll and nothing more

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That Mario looks really weird, I don't want to thank THAT mario

e: btw how many people have been around the internet for soooome time, i mean like, the 90s. the way Nintendo is now is so different from how they used to be then. They used to shut down sites that merely mentioned emulators, like Zophar's Domain, even though they didn't host ROMs. REMEMBER ZOPHAR'S DOMAIN???

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I remember Zophar's Domain, it was where I got ZSNES from back when I was still using Netscape

edit: That's right, ZSNES, gently caress you SNES9X your interface is garbage
I wonder if archive.org still has the old SNES9x website from the mid-90s when they had an animated gif of Final Fantasy 6 to prove that it was a real emulator and not a fake

The days when you had to be sure an SNES emulator wasn't a prank/hoax

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I remember back when ZSNES had the bloody hand throwing up the middle finger as its pointer. Gone are those days.

edit: Or am I thinking of a NES emulator I can't remember the name of
You might be thinking of NESticle

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished stargazer. dont play it

best rpgmaker game is still Echoes of Aetheria so far

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476650/ :D

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's really weird that Sony put share/stream functionality into the PS4 but they're the only one of the Big 3 to not have an official Youtube Policy

I saw Housemarque tweet at them saying "uhh help?? people keep asking us and we don't know"

kinda f***cked up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also

https://twitter.com/nicholasadeleon/status/762755179133464576

(nintendo power archives are gone from archive.org)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it must have been so financially damaging for the nintendo power that doesn't exist anymore and is no longer sold, to have those archives up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Copyright Law of the United States tries to encourage the creation of art and culture by rewarding authors and artists with a set of exclusive rights.

Under the Copyright Clause, Congress has the power: To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

or the exclusive right to do nothing with them!!!!!!

• Locked thread