Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iospace posted:

As I said in the Trump thread, it feels the only member of the GOP who comes out ahead here is going to be Kasich. He didn't endorse and he's leaving a trail of evidence that he was against Trump from the get go. Barring a magical win from Trump, Kasich wins in the long run.

Cruz, too. He's pretty clearly angling for a 2020 run. Possibly Kasich, too, his gimmick in the primary this election was being the Sane Dude, which depending on how this election and the response thereto goes might be much more appealing to the GOP base in four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

computer parts posted:

It seems like a lot of people here aren't aware of that fact, what with the "I wish there was a religious Left" posts you get occasionally.

And for reference, there is a religious left. There are lots of Christian churches that are socially liberal, condone and perform same-sex marriages, strongly support racial minorities even in white-majority individual churches, and are often even economically liberal.

People like that black pastor from the DNC are among the very few times we get in the news.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dirt posted:

Sexually harassed at work? Just go find a new job!

This election is insane.

Trump is so loving determined to lose women and minorities it's incredible. Jury's still out if he's as out of touch as the Romneys, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pakled posted:

Kerry was leading the polls in Florida as recently as a week before the 2004 election. Anyone who falls for that tactic is a loving idiot.

Hillary's already leading down here in Florida. Gee, who would've thought an extremely Hispanic-heavy state would be turning steadily more blue?

Voldemort suppressing voters extensively - which is admittedly a very real possibility - is the only way Trump wins Florida. And even then, Voldemort will drop Trump like a sack of potatoes the moment supporting Trump ceases to be profitable for him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Those voter suppression tactics are being owned in court at least.

Not sure if Florida's gets raked though.

Not by our state courts at least. Their response to active voter suppression during the last governor's election was "lol who cares."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

Trump actually goes into an interview where the reporter asks him about the border conflict between two small but geopolitically important countries which don't exist, and just answers with the same "We're looking into that, we're looking into a lot of things in the conflict such as where it intersects with our influence and presence in the region" before Stephen Colbert leaps out from behind a door and explains in his trademark gleeful tone that those countries actually have never existed.

If Trump somehow ends up on TV with the likes of Oliver or Stewart, you know this is going to happen. "Agrabah vs Durotar, what are your views on this important but troubled international border?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The emote you want is :happened:

I think we're kind of lucky Hillary is the nominee this year. She's the ideal Trump counter: a perpetually calm, level-headed person who can play the adult in the room and never sweats or budges an inch under intense pressure. Trump can scream at her all day long and she'll just smile calmly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RZA Encryption posted:

Did anything ever happen with that potentially imaginary woman that did the Melania/Michelle speech plagiarism? Is she real?

No one knows or cares. First the DNC butchered Trump like a Christmas hog, then Trump started Trumping and the media smelled blood in the water. Melania's small potatoes aside from her twin potatoes which the whole world knows now are fairly impressive.

Edit: Patriotism is the DNC, nationalism is the RNC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

gregday posted:

His narcissistic addiction tendencies have led him to run for the office of the president but his con man skills are still not up to the task so he is imploding.

And his political opponent is one of the most unflappable, stone-faced people in the country.

I'm still mildly terrified of what Trump represents, but it's goddamn satisfying to see him implode like this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

berserker posted:

I'll be honest though I'm not so sure about this after that one encounter between Hillary and that BLM protester.

I think Hillary is vulnerable to be taken off-guard when she's not expecting it, but Trump is gonna Trump and Hillary knows it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Seeric posted:

As much as I'd be inclined to say that skipping out on a debate seems like it would obviously be the more damaging move, I'm beginning to suspect that showing up for a debate, at least the first time around, would actually damage him more, but not necessarily because of anything he says. Debates are held in front of a live audience, presumably consisting of supporters of both candidates, and Trump has managed to cultivate a mob-like, cult-like following whose members get high on hatred and bloodlust and whose extremism seems to still somehow be escalating. While the most blatantly unhinged people will almost certainly get turned away at the door, this would be the first time that they'd be in the same room as the Hillary Clinton and her supporters as she attacks their idol of worship.

I doubt that there would be any physical violence, but I also can't imagine the majority of Trump's base refraining from boos, hate speech, and shouting some truly vile things into the silence on national television even if it means they get kicked out or detained. After all, many of them hate political correctness with a fiery passion and seem to well and truly believe that showing even one ounce of politeness or a single shred of basic decency, regardless of the context, is a sign of trying to be politically correct because they are incapable of understanding that not everyone around them is motivated by a black pit of hatred and anger the way they themselves are.

The media has already begun to pick up on the words and shouts of people on Trump's own rallies as a reflection of the type of nation he is leading us towards, but similar words or worse being shouted during one of the official debates would really make the message ring home for a whole bunch of people I think.

See also "HATE TRUMPS LOVE!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

It's BS but it's still going to give RNC strategists ulcers.

Also, pink Mississippi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Cuban ex-pats are such awful people that it makes Castro look better by comparison.

They're getting better. The younger generations don't get what the big deal is and think grandpa is being crazy, and some of the ex-pats are coming around to the normalization of relations. I've heard a couple at the church I go to say they didn't like it at first, but now they'd like to go see their homeland one last time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zerilan posted:

Still hoping the oppo research just turns out to be some sort of definitive proof that Trump's net worth is under 1 billion.

If they have it, I imagine that's one of their "in case of emergency, reveal on national tv" options.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yinlock posted:

Thank you for this Patriot Freedom Update. JNN.

Hillary becoming President is going to uproot basically all of the complete loving lunatics at once isn't it.

Especially hot on Obama's heels, and doubly so if it's the curb stomp of Trump it's currently looking like it will be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

She won't ever ever do this, there's more of a chance she tries to put a moderate in there as to not anger Republicans or to secure her "legacy" as a unifier.

I think it's more likely that it will come down to just how badly the GOP pisses her off by the time she takes office.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/762400869858115588

Donald Trump: Other T

he seriously cannot let this baby thing go

Avenging slights and disrespect is one of the biggest reasons Trump is running for president in the first place, his way of showing the New York aristocracy that he really does belong and he thinks it will make them show him the respect he thinks he deserves.

Trump never forgets, or forgives, a slight against his pride.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nevvy Z posted:

Is this real? It seems fake.

This is the thing about Trump. It's really goddamn hard to tell what may be satire and what he might have actually said.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

North Florida. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump's campaign opened an office across the street from the Pulse nightclub, which I find gross, especially being that I live here.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/764280992068665345

Gross, yet also strangely appropriate that a GOP presidential campaign office would set up across the street from a popular gay nightclub. Orlando Grindr might get very interesting for the next few months. :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thaddius the Large posted:

It helps we have an air force base and a bunch of silos, but nothing else worth noting, so Montana was largely left intact after the Eugenics Wars of 1992-1996, making it a good location for Zefram Cochran to build his ship.
:goonsay:

Helps that his ship was converted from an ICBM and launched out of its silo. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr Christmas posted:

That and the fact that you can see a hurricane coming and prepare for it was the issue with Kartrina, not that Bush didn't do enough photo ops there.

Speaking as a Florida native... you'd be kind of surprised, honestly. Hurricanes are fickle beasts that we're still not good at tracking or predicting. Usually, you get about two days warning of where a hurricane is likely to make landfall, and even that's basically educated guesswork. Hurricanes go wherever they drat well please.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BUSH 2112 posted:

I never really thought about how black people get kind of doubly disenchanted with voting. Not only are the state governments (and sometimes the feds) always trying to make it harder, even if they can successfully cast a ballot, they really have only one choice. Even if they disagree with a Democratic candidate on abortion, same-sex marriage, or any number of other issues, the GOP is actively trying to harm their entire race. Obviously, not all black people see it that way, but it seems obvious that a majority do, at bare minimum. I can see how it would be a possibly subconscious disincentive to go and vote.

Or maybe I'm just a white guy talking out of his rear end, idk but it's pretty likely

This is the quandary facing a lot of ethnic and religious minorities - many of them trend strongly socially conservative, and either would be or actively were reliable GOP voting blocs if it weren't for how xenophobic the GOP has gotten. Muslims are a particularly striking example: before 9/11, American Muslims voted for the GOP upwards of 90%. They were well-educated, often affluent, and very socially conservative. Natural Republican voters. Then half the country started baying for their blood and American Muslims are now 90%+ voters for the Democrats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Chilis
Stews
Barbeque
Pizza
Pies

These are the things that will cause a second civil war in this country.

We made the chili dog.

You're welcome, planet Earth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iospace posted:

the FRC is still pretty active, given they got loving conversion therapy into the GOP platform.

They still have a lot of money and are one of the few reliable GOP voting blocs left.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dirt posted:

I like angry Hillary.

It's one of the things I've most been looking forward to about the debates. There's not a soul alive less inclined to take poo poo from Trump in this election than Hillary Clinton, and Trump has never been good at playing defense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WampaLord posted:

This reads like a threat.

Yeah, not hard to read a silent "Or else" at the end of that tweet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr Christmas posted:

And really, how can black people not love being told the places they live are blasted hellscapes devoid of light and hope?

And Hillary addressed exactly this a couple days ago, responding with facts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Adequate posted:

I kind of have the same concern, but at the same time, where does the GOP go from here that can build them a winning Presidential strategy? They've tried regular old white guys and Obama murdered them both; they're not trying crazy old rear end in a top hat and at this stage we're just debating how bad Hilldawg's devastating chaos dunk will be. Another four years means the demographics shift a little more against the GOP. But they are constitutionally incapable of any meaningful shift towards policies that will actually win appreciable numbers of minority votes, because their base and the people who decide their candidates are all rabid white shitfuckers who chose Trump. They can have their base or they can try to court new groups, but few will be suckered by the latter path, and if it's actually a serious change in policies that really will sway lots of minorities, then they lose their base. Even if they don't vote Trumpsstaffel in 2020, a lot of them will stay home or at least fail to help GOTV efforts with money or work.

I mean, maybe they have an Obama-tier campaigner with incredible charisma waiting in the wings, but nobody could point to who that is today. And they'd have to have a good mind for policies as well, but the only people in the GOP who were trying to push serious, sane, widely-appealing policies in the primaries got crushed (Hi Jon Huntsman).

I think a big part of that question is going to be if anyone capable of winning the general will survive their primary. Rubio and Kasich - I think we can safely disregard Jeb at this point - probably could have put up a convincing fight against Hillary. Both got mauled in the primary by the likes of Trump and Cruz, and I don't think Cruz would be faring a whole lot better against Hillary right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vorebane posted:

From a few pages ago, but I missed this, if Hillary talked about solutions for inner cities, I'd like to read it, where was the speech at?

She didn't talk much about that directly beyond her plank of affordable college and loan forgiveness, but she pointed out that while things aren't what they should be for African-Americans, they're also nowhere near as bad as Trump's fear-mongering would have you believe. Here's her full speech, Hillary gets on stage around 7:40.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ego-bot posted:

What does everyone think about Kamala Harris? By 2024 she'll have had 8 years in the senate.

I think that will depend on how congress shakes out under Hillary, but going by her record so far I'd have no problem voting for her in eight years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eifert Posting posted:

This is an interesting discussion to have because it's hard to define in a lot of cases. For example you have a bunch of societies (Taino are the one coming to me but I know there are others) that prescribed significant social status to postmenopausal women but not pre and how do you qualify THAT?

But generally I roll my eyes when people prescribe human traits supposedly originating from pre-agricultural society. The people in this thread almost assuredly have hundreds of generations separating them from any such "genetic memory." I'll stick to blaming everyday society and the systematic inequality every agricultural society has shown for millenia, thanks.

Or stick with a personal feeling that Hillary just isn't the best public speaker in the world, especially next to the likes of Obama. I think Hillary will be a fine president and I voted for her in the primary, but I think she's a somewhat weak campaigner when she's not hammering Trump. By all accounts she's much more personable and at ease with small groups versus speaking to large crowds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Filthy Hans posted:

Calves like cantaloupes from carrying bags of rape across the border

http://i.imgur.com/GZEQYkG.gifv

Pictured: The GOP's idea of a real woman, apparently.

...This makes so many things suddenly make sense, thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pakled posted:

She is playing up both her and Kaine's religion, but it's positive interpretations of Christianity that they're focusing on. Social justice and compassion and charity, not the sort of things you see from the Right like the prosperity gospel and judgement and Christian identity.

And I can assure you that, speaking as someone who goes to a left-wing Christian church, it's been going over very well. There's a lot of frustration and even a bit of real anger in left-wing Christian denominations and churches over how Christianity in the public media means Tea Party, White Lives Matter, and Westboro Baptist.

It's part of why Tim Kaine has been going over so well with Hispanics, at least down here in Florida. Here's America's grandpa who speaks Spanish fluently, has done legit missionary work in poor countries, is a practicing Catholic, and draws a distinct line between what he believes religiously and what he believes is best governance. That last bit is very important for a lot of people.

• Locked thread