Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here's hoping the 1000 posts every day settles down to something more manageable until november.

Still wishing election season was over :smith:

Haha, no. We're just entering election season.

This thread is only going to accelerate as more posters get interested in politics throughout the late summer and fall. Plus, new posters brings new trolls, and each new troll causes at least a five page derail. And if two thread regulars can rehash an argument once a week, you should see two fresh-faced "woah politics, huh?" posters go at that same argument as if it's never been had before. And then see those people gradually become more than half the thread's population.

We won't have sub-1000-post days until December.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If Trump wins it'll stop when he finally clamps down on Internet access. So like a week or two after the elections.

(Presidents don't take power immediately after the election. They take power in late January, and are sworn in on my birthday. Which is just a coincidence, probably.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the now-cast is pretty amazing just to look at, but it doesn't mean much.

What really brings a grin to my face is that even the actual predictions are up to 73.2% and 69.4% (in polls and polls-plus respectively). 538 is a model that leans pretty hard into "who knows what will happen between now and November, better not stray too far from 50%" and even then it's giving 3-to-1 odds, with over three full months still to go.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Trump's been a joke for over twice as long as some first-time voters this year have been alive. He was already well-known and little-liked -- the tiny amount his image has changed for this election is surprising already.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't know anything about TPP's specifics, but it's really weird to read people who are normally leftist-seeming talking about how thin profit margins are, how a situation will ~probably be somewhere in between~ helping small business and helping the richest capital owners, and how if you loosen up restrictions on corporations and let markets run free it'll work out better for everyone.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

zoux posted:

Aw did we mis-signal our virtue again, oops.

What? Did I somehow enter a bizarro universe where the only two sides are libertarians and the alt-right, and I must choose a side? I'm gonna disclaim here that I'm a Hillary supporter with far-left ideals but incrementalist, in case it helps. My post before is genuine confusion, not some sort of concern trolling -- I actually just don't know anything about TPP and the rhetoric around it doesn't fit into my preconceptions about politics, so I'm looking for clarification.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

zoux posted:

I don't know anything about what you are talking about, but you aren't saying the right liberal sounding words.

Like, my mistake for wandering into a thread argument where people have already staked out their sides and all, but I'm being genuine here. I wasn't rushing in to side with Noam Chomsky using sarcasm, I was confused and stating my confusion.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, we're not telling them to adapt or die. Basic macroecon is. We're asking them to adapt and trying to formulate a plan to prevent them from dying, which is hard because it involves pushing back against the power of multinational businesses to oppose labor laws and environmentalism. At the end of the day though, if your job is no longer economically relevant and keeping it in place would be pointless, why should we? Not everyone needs to work and not everyone needs to do the same job their entire lives if that job is no longer necessary. If you have this deep emotional attachment to building widgets or mining rocks and refuse to move on, when those jobs are no longer needed in the US, what are we supposed to do about it?

Democratic politicians shouldn't lie to their constituencies and Hillary opposing TPP is stupid and pointless. BI NOW said it better than I could in the previous thread. But it's important to realize that these people aren't being forced to change because leftists asked them to, their being asked to change at the behest of multinational business and globalization too powerful for us to control. No one said it's (necessarily) a good thing that their lives are being disrupted, it merely is the reality of the situation. People also just have an unhealthy attachment to work.

If it's impossible to fight multinational businesses, and we'd have to fight multinational businesses to implement labor laws and environmentalism, then we're just truly and inevitably hosed.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Apparently the baby's mother came forward today and said Trump was "obviously joking". I mean, that makes sense, a mother at the rally was probably a trump supporter on the first place, and less likely to see his behavior in an unflattering light. And video footage of the moment is still genuinely off-putting, which was the real point in the first place. But the "feuding with a baby" point is probably going to die off now. (in time for the next wave of ridiculousness)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

sarmhan posted:

The polls have been consistently awful for Trump for the last 2 weeks so the models are converging. The polls-plus is just super conservative.

Yeah, even at 75% I'd guess the polls-plus model is getting nearish to its reasonable maximum this far out from the election. Basically who knows what might happen between now and November, sort of thing.

CelestialScribe posted:

She's going to lose North Carolina, Ohio and Florida.
Ahahahaha. Beautiful.

What polls are you un-skewing to get this? Or are you just certain that Trump's campaign will somehow turn around in the next few months?

Anyway, I'll counter your 270-to-win map with this one, I suppose.

Bad Moon posted:

My mother, who is a racist old korean lady who is slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun and has hated the Clintons since the 90s, pretty much went "welp gently caress that guy guess I'm voting Hilary" when I had a conversation about with her about Trump's ties to Putin who she hates even more.

She then started talking about how if the news (Fox of course) keeps saying the economy is bad, why does her Stocks app that came with her iphone keep having green numbers and a graph going up.

It was a :stare: moment for me as I've abandoned talking about politics with her since I was in Jr High.

This story made me very happy.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 15, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I think I kind of half get it from context but can anyone tell me what "arzy" means or refers to?

What Antti said, plus: It's named after a guy famous for arzying during the 2008 and 2012 election: http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2431

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, now you've made me sad again.

Stories of opinionated parents affect me because my parents' opinions are basicaly just very mild versions of my own. They finally came around to my "gently caress the police" opinion this year, the one issue where we fundamentally disagreed for the last decade, by admitting "too many police departments have a significant culture problem". Yawwn. My parents are too good.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hi, I tried to do my usual skimming thing, but that argument with gfsincere went on for too many tens of pages. So I started doing that thing I always tell myself I should do: skip to skim every third page, so that I can spot if discussion has welled up around a new major news item. But then I still wasn't making progress, and the slavery-and-eugenics arguments, while very interesting at first, were still basically repeating themsleves dozens and dozens of pages later. So I started skipping tens of pages at once, just looking for anything else.

But that wasn't fruitful, so now I'm here making a kind of post I usually go through great pains to avoid making: "Hi, couldn't keep up with the thread, what (else) did I miss?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Okay, someone explain Pepe to me. I've seen the "feels good/bad man" emotes here, but I've had no reference for how the meme evolved outside the walls of this esteemed forum, or otherwise. I just eventually started occasionally seeing image macros that were obviousy dozens of reference layers deep.

What is the conceptual association of this frog?

• Locked thread