Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Grundulum posted:

Did anything worth mentioning happen over the weekend?

Well, in the same 48 hour period Trump got trapped in an elevator and then proceeded to verbally attack the firefighter who rescued him in a speech at a rally 30 minutes later, nude pictures of his wife were leaked to the New York Post who subsequently published them on their front page and it's very possible that Trump's office either leaked them or approved of their printing, Trump has been engaged in a very public and damaging feud with the father of a Gold Star winning veteran who was killed in Iraq, Trump has been complaining about the debate schedule with seems to be a prelude to him backing out and has possibly been caught lying about whether the NFL contacted him to complain about the dates of the presidential debates, and gave an interview that strongly suggested he doesn't actually know what's happening in Crimea with respect to the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.

If you knew all of these things happened then I imagine you're pretty caught up with the events of the weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I... I keep telling myself to not be surprised by things anymore.

Listing things in some sort of chronological order like this has so much more impact than watching each train wreck one at a time. because, among those different stories that occurred in just 2 days there's so much more nuance and detail to be explored. Like the fact that the firefighter trump smeared was civilian of the year a couple of years ago for his response during a mass casualty event (and the fact that the elevator failed due to mechanical interference from Trump's own security detail) or the transcript pertaining to the answers he gave to the question of Crimea (seriously read it, it's a thing of beauty) actually copies, word for word, the responses he gave when he was confronted with the same question in an interview several months ago.

Like, everything that happens is uniquely bad but each thing is also a thread that you can pull at to reveal even more poo poo. Every single crisis seems specifically engineered to be as depraved and damaging as possible. This election is amazing...

Serrath fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 1, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Charlz Guybon posted:

Did his security detail really gently caress up the elevator? :catstare:

quote:

Trump's security team was given control of the hotel's elevators during the event, said Perry Sanders Jr., an attorney who co-owns the hotel.

After the occupants were rescued, technicians for the company that services the elevator determined that the machine became stuck because someone turned the manual key while the car was in motion, Sanders said.

From ABC news

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

emdash posted:

Today's polls so far. :eyepop:

Anyone else remember that map of Trump's pathway to victory and, in addition to a generous collection of swing states, it included NH out of nowhere?

Good times...

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

I'm slowly starting to fall into the "he never intended to actually win the nomination and now he's busily sabotaging himself in a panic"-theory camp watching this idiot

Honestly, I think attributing some intent to his actions over the last few weeks based on outcomes really adds a layer of explanation which isn't needed. Everything that's happened in Trump's campaign is easily accountable by the fact that he's inexperienced as a politician - he's not sabotaging himself, he's just being himself and it turns out "himself" is really bad at this politics thing.

He's conducting himself in the same manner now as he did in the primaries and he conducted himself in the primaries consistent to his business and personal history. In 2012 he was the leader of the birther movement, his pettiness and tenuous relationship with the truth is very well documented throughout his life, so his conduct now really shouldn't come as any surprise. To say he's intentionally acting this way to sabotage his campaign implies that he's acting differently now than he did a month ago or a year ago or a decade ago. He's just Trump, Trumping it up as he's always Trumped before. The only difference now is that the media coverage is both wider due to his position as a nominee and more sharp due to the media actually challenging him recently.

This pivot to the middle people were predicting would require he have some skill and experience at moderating himself but he's shown no inclination or ability to do that before and he has a recorded history of decades of public statements behind him. Maybe if he was a politician to begin with, he might have developed the skill and experience required to do this but he's not, he's a businessman with 70 years experience acting in the exact same manner.

He's not sabotaging himself. He just has no political instinct or ability and is floundering around in exactly the manner that you would expect someone without political ability to do when made the nominee of a major party.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 11, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is it. there's no special plan on trump's part, he's just a chronic liar (or at the very least hides behind imprecise speech so that he can never be held accountable) and he's withering under the spotlight

This is also why all the posts about him "slipping up" and calling Hillary various derogatory names is also unlikely. If he's one thing, he's consistent; people are shocked by him because his consistency is causing him to lose by a wide margin so they look for Machiavellian, 12-d chess explanations because the idea that he's just really bad at politicking doesn't occur to them (after all, he won the primary). The problem is when you take that explanation too far and presume that he's <so> incompetent that he'll just lose it and call his opponent the c-word. He's very competent at being Trump. He's very good at hiding his speech behind imprecise language and then attacking his critics for reading one possible interpretation. He's good at this because that's what he's been doing for years, his comment about Megan Kelly "blood coming out of her whatever" wasn't a slip-up, it was Trump doing what he's good at - saying what he wants but hiding behind a thin layer of plausible deniability.

He's not going to deviate from his Trump-script; he's been consistent now for decades, the problem is just that the person he consistently is happens to be a person who is really bad at running for elected office.

Expect the debates to just be more of the same; casual dismissal of opponent arguments, half truths, puerile nicknames that brush against the border of being stunningly offensive without crossing it, and being generally boorish. Honestly, his campaign is progressing in exactly the trajectory that anyone familiar with his history could have predicted. He didn't spontaneously emerge from the ether, fully formed at 70 years of age and speaking and acting in this way; he has a lifetime of recorded speech which follows this exact, consistent pattern. And he's going to keep doing this same thing until November and he's going to keep doing it after November.

It's to deny his history to assume he'll get better (indicated by moderating his tone) or get worse (indicated by slipping up and communicating his insinuations in a direct way).

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Arcanen posted:

You're all somehow forgetting that Trump crushed the primary and was hailed as a political genius by many here.

I largely agree but I think it's also important to note that he crushed the primary by consistently winning 40% vote shares in winner-take-all states in a crowded primary field. His personality style was/is perfectly suited to a 7-person race because in such a race, the goal of being the loudest rear end in a top hat on stage is just as important as having the best policies. People talk about courting the protest vote which is true to an extent but I don't think you can discount the startling psychological effect of being the most recognisable name on a ballot consisting of 4+ politicians who are otherwise interchangeable in policy.

Which bring us to today because his style suited to winning primaries wholly underequips him to win a general election. But he won't learn and he won't pivot, not just because he's won so far so he should just keep going, but because he <can't> pivot because pivoting is a skill developed through years of developing as a politician and he's not a politician. He's just himself, he's intransigent because transience is a skill developed like any other skill and nothing in his life has required he develop or refine that skill.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

I recall reading this in 2013 but I'd forgotten the particulars. Holy poo poo was this worth reading again in light of current events.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Air is lava! posted:

What would you say is a fair compromise? He really hates Clinton, to the point of using the words "It was proven that she committed high treason." And as much as I hate to admit it, I think hes actually pro-Trump, rather than anti-Hillary.

Betting odds were 1.3 last week which I thought was fair enough that I put a second bet on Hilary to win, I'd argue that's a fair amount (I say this as someone who makes a lot of political bets).

I was lucky to have a $2500 bet on Hilary to win the presidency matched at 1.9 in the early days of the primaries (when sanders was still in and the republican race was an 8 person clown car).

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
Can someone explain what a Goyler is, to the uninitiated? Google is of little help

Re: Trump shaking up his staff, I don't get where this anxiety that this could increase his vote share could come from. When he hired Manafort, people were worried about the same thing but Trump's going to Trump whether it's Lewandowski, Manafort, or the Breitbart clan holding the reigns. Even if they could craft a message that would hit the perfect combination of buzz words and anxieties to capture Trump 150% of the white vote, propelling him into power, he's demonstrated again and again that his political instincts are terrible and it's unlikely he could remain on message (even when that message is more closely aligned with his usual rhetoric). He has demonstrated absolutely no capacity or proclivity to follow anyone's advice before, why would people suddenly believe, now, that Breitbart news will be any more successful than the campaign staff they've replaced?

Trump is losing because he's Trump. It has nothing to do with the advisers he surrounds himself with because, whether their advice is good or bad, he ignores it anyway.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

CelestialScribe posted:

If Trump stays on message

People have been qualifying predictions with these 5 words for the last 12 months... There has never been a period in his entire life lasting longer than 24 hours where this qualification has ended up being relevant to any argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think that he me listen to them because they're not political people, they're media people. He may not listen to them long term, but he may learn a thing or two.

I canvassed my thoughts on this in a post a couple days ago but he has no history of learning from his mistakes, taking advice, or thoughtful reflection before regardless of who the messenger is. To start now would go against 70 years of recorded public statements made by this person. Whether they're media people or not, he's demonstrated himself to be an intransigent man of very rigid and fixed beliefs and actions. His lack of political experience and insight makes any change to his approach virtually impossible for him; he's going to, again and again, fall back into a habit of continuing this same pattern of behaviour. People are shocked at the things he's said so far but something that has been demonstrated through this election cycle and a 10 year history of tweets and 40 year history being in the public eye is that he's profoundly consistent, to his detriment.

I see no evidence that he'll change this consistency because I frankly think he doesn't know how. His entire election platform has flown in exactly the trajectory that anyone familiar with him before he ran would have predicted. The only surprising thing about this election is how successful he's been but these have never been the actions of a measured and cunning political operative.

• Locked thread