Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does anyone actually follow the entire thread in crazy 1k-per-day mode? I tried and couldn't. Did anything worth mentioning happen over the weekend? I had made it to the 29th when this thread opened.

Edit: the entire poem should be in the OP, not just the punchline in the title. For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Serrath posted:

Well, in the same 48 hour period Trump got trapped in an elevator and then proceeded to verbally attack the firefighter who rescued him in a speech at a rally 30 minutes later, nude pictures of his wife were leaked to the New York Post who subsequently published them on their front page and it's very possible that Trump's office either leaked them or approved of their printing, Trump has been engaged in a very public and damaging feud with the father of a Gold Star winning veteran who was killed in Iraq, Trump has been complaining about the debate schedule with seems to be a prelude to him backing out and has possibly been caught lying about whether the NFL contacted him to complain about the dates of the presidential debates, and gave an interview that strongly suggested he doesn't actually know what's happening in Crimea with respect to the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.

If you knew all of these things happened then I imagine you're pretty caught up with the events of the weekend

You rear end in a top hat. I was going to say that these were obvious jokes, but the longer I kept reading the more grounded in reality they seemed.

Time to go back and skim those last 50 pages, I guess!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Serrath posted:

Well, in the same 48 hour period Trump got trapped in an elevator and then proceeded to verbally attack the firefighter who rescued him in a speech at a rally 30 minutes later, nude pictures of his wife were leaked to the New York Post who subsequently published them on their front page and it's very possible that Trump's office either leaked them or approved of their printing, Trump has been engaged in a very public and damaging feud with the father of a Gold Star winning veteran who was killed in Iraq, Trump has been complaining about the debate schedule with seems to be a prelude to him backing out and has possibly been caught lying about whether the NFL contacted him to complain about the dates of the presidential debates, and gave an interview that strongly suggested he doesn't actually know what's happening in Crimea with respect to the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.

If you knew all of these things happened then I imagine you're pretty caught up with the events of the weekend

Jesus Christ, none of this was a joke. I apologize for doubting you, Serrath.

Now back to page 4 to keep reading.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
At some point in the past five days, articles have been posted with the following information:

(1) Clinton worked with, and her foundation has ties to, a company that also has done shady poo poo in the Middle East
(2) Trump has been financed by, repeatedly, Russian oligarchs or people closely related to them

I'll be damned if I'm going to go searching through 90 pages on my phone to find the two articles, but can anyone tell me what the distinction is between the two cases? Both involve guilt by association and claims of malfeasance due to possible continued financial ties to individuals/groups that are probably not friendly to US interests.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can't be serious, right? This is sounds like SovCit junk.

I got curious, and it does appear to be bullshit.

http://blog.myscoutstuff.org/2012/05/a-gold-fringe-infringement-on-the-american-flag/

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

At her worst, Hillary is almost as bad as Donald.

Try harder.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

These are great.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I know we go through a lot of polls in this thread but the recent ABC/WaPo one asked some interesting questions about respondents' perceptions of the presidential candidates, so it may be worth going through in more detail.

Comparing this result to voting intentions is very interesting since it seems like there's a group of potential Trump voters that don't think he's qualified, while a significant number of non-Clinton supporters still think she's qualified to be president. Looks like only the hardcore Clinton haters answer no to this question, understandably--she's insanely qualified.

Thanks for the effortpost. I rarely have time to drill down into polls like you just did, and I certainly don't have the expertise to construct any sort of narrative from the numbers.

Did this poll give any sort of breakdown about how people answered the two questions above? Are there any people who think both candidates are qualified? Any who think neither?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

vyelkin posted:

it's suspicious how much these numbers line up with each other. There's surely some overlap, but it looks an awful lot like the people who think one candidate is unqualified think the other one is qualified

That's what I noticed, and why I asked the question. Thanks for checking.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

Flip the cause and effect- Georgia flipping would be a side effect of the nation as a whole being ready to give Hillary a landslide.

I can live with that outcome.

I seriously feel bad for my principled conservative friends this election. If the situation were reversed and I had to choose between an apocalyptically bad candidate and someone who is my political opposite in almost every sense, I'm not sure what I would do.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

One thing to note is that peak power usage is during the day so when the sun is shining and making people use the AC it's also charging the solar panels on the roof. A lazy dream of mine is to put solar panels on the flat roofs of big box stores and warehouses and distribution centers to provide power during peak hours.

I'm curious how much energy big box stores like Best Buy or Target use. The Best Buy in my hometown looks like it has a footprint of 50x75 meters, or just shy of 4,000 m^2. According to a British website, each 7 m^2 is approximately 1 kW of power delivered, which is presumably averaged over the course of a full sunup-sundown period. That's about 500 kW of power right there, even if you live in the frozen north and get about the same amount of sunlight as England does. What kind of dent does 500 kW put in the power consumption of all those demo units, lights, and climate control?

Edit: I found this PDF suggesting that for a slightly smaller Best Buy, a 250,000 kWh/yr reduction in energy usage (about 56 kW if averaged over a 12-hour opening period) represents 25% savings. So my back-of-the envelope estimate has my local Best Buy producing, on average, double the amount of energy it produces. I am now sure I am not using the correct numbers somewhere, because I can't imagine a chain like Best Buy willingly paying for electricity when they could be producing it and getting paid by utilities.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Ivanpah was the big test of this theory and it was a failure, the plant burns natural gas in order to keep the temperatures up, and several times more than they expected. I think there's a couple more big concentrated solar thermal plants in the works and maybe they'll do better, but who knows.

But if the NG is burned to bootstrap the solar production, and ultimately Ivanpah generates more electricity than the NG plant could have with the same amount of fuel, that's still a win for solar, right? Obviously it would be better to use less natural gas, but at least it's being used efficiently to jumpstart a solar plant. (Edit: a win from an environmental standpoint, if not an economic one.)

Didn't we have a power generation thread at some point? This is really fascinating stuff, but only tangentially related to US politics.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pakled posted:

In which the Texas GOP, so blinded by their hatred of Hillary that they believe she looks bad in any situation, accidentally endorses her.

Help me out, someone. I have never been able to figure out why John Lithgow was allowed into the room for this event.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Thanks. The world is a bit less magical knowing a TV star wasn't actually in the room for the OBL killing, but it's nice to know who it really is.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

emdash posted:

polls so far today :getin:

For the record, here are the PA congressional district leanings, per Wikipedia: R12, R10, R9, R6, R6, R6, R6, R6, R5, R2, R1, R1, E0, D4, D12, D16, D25, D39(!!).

If a Clinton +7 result translated to down ticket races, that's 10 House seats that switch control.

Get out the drat vote, people, and maybe this goes from a curbstomping to a wave election.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

aBagorn posted:

That E0 district (PA 7) is made up of the not Chester portions of Delaware County, and parts of Berkson and Chester counties, all full of "working class whites" that I fully expect Trump to clean up.

How does a district full of Trump voters translate into no lean for either party?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

I just don't know at this point. I feel like the political race has turned into some sort of political fanfic, but then went best seller despite how poorly written and stupid it is. Reality is stranger than fiction.

Fifty Shades of Orange?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

By literally rules lawyering on the fact that Congress didn't explicitly say "barriers to public or private infrastructure investment" the 6th Circuit claimed that the statement was unclear enough to justify declaring the laws presumably valid.

That said, the controlling precedent from 2004, Nixon v. Missouri Municipal League, isn't getting overturned (8-1 with only Stevens dissenting), so I wouldn't hold my breath for a good outcome.

Thanks for bringing this up. It seemed like far and away the shakiest part of the majority's opinion when I read through as EwokEntourage requested. It reads like something a child might try: "Go clean your room" "You didn't specify whether I had to clean my desk and/or the floor, so technically by cleaning my desk I did what you asked".

If appealed to the Supreme Court, I have to imagine that this is what the arguments will focus on, because it seemed pulled out of the air for the sole purpose of ruling in favor of the telcos.

I suppose this is what Antonin Scalia must have felt like when reading the opinions that progressively legalized same-sex marriage.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hillary Clinton’s completely unfounded claim that Russia was behind the passing to WikiLeaks of Democratic National Committee documents was breathtakingly cynical...

Source your quotes. Which one of washingtonsblog, beforeitsnews, theflippintruth, or therussophile did you scrape this from?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea I'm sure they pulled a well known cannon of construction and a 25 year old Supreme Court case out of the air to base their decision on.

Also lol at complaining that a loving federal appeals court is "rules lawyering".

I don't have a problem with the test that the Circuit Court applied; I just think it was incorrectly applied. It is crystal clear to me that a directive to promote infrastructure investment makes no distinction between public and private ventures (absent some context elsewhere, which I did not notice in the opinion), in the same sense that a law saying that car headlights must be functional clearly applies to both the left and right headlight. The claim of "rules lawyering" is that in order to arrive at their conclusion, the court had to invent ambiguity in the text almost out of whole cloth.

Edit to add: under the court's reasoning, how can we be sure that the FCC is even supposed to promote private infrastructure investment? It doesn't explicitly say "private" in section 706, so it must not be allowed!

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 11, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

They don't have to find a clear statement for what it does or doesn't allow or require. They just have to see if there is a clear statement for what the fcc wants to do. If you say 2+2=6, I don't have to tell you what it really equals to say you are wrong. To preempt a traditional state right, such as home rule, it must be a clear intention of congress to do so. The 1996 act doesn't have this clear statement. Sorry.

Do you disagree with this?

To the first point: my problem is that, as I recall that paragraph being written, the same reasoning could be used to strike down an FCC attempt to promote private investment. (I know that wasn't the question before the court, but surely the court ought to consider future consequences of their rulings?) Have a meeting to run to, so can't check whether I am remembering correctly right now.

To the second point: I don't remember seeing that sentence in the document. It does address most of my concerns, although it doesn't completely satisfy me.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
There appears to be a very very vocal part of the "progressive/left-leaning" population who believes that Hillary Clinton and the DNC cannot, axiomatically cannot, do anything good. Anything that Clinton says is either a lie to earn her votes (if they agree with it), or her true opinion that will be enacted as soon as she is in office (if they disagree). Among my friends list, these people went hard for Sanders and are now equally enthusiastic for Jill loving Stein.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 12, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Sorry for not letting tribalism blind us to the ills of the Clinton clique, I guess?

That said, my fellow Bernie supporters in my metropolitan area seem to be about ⅓ in favor of toeing the party line, ⅓ in favor of Stein, ⅙ in favor of Johnson, and another ⅙ split between a general protest vote and not voting. I'm in the latter group, myself—Stein's an anti-nuclear, anti-GMO, and anti-vaccine kook whose greatest achievement in life is running for president a half dozen times with nothing to show for it; John's a conservative scumbag with little to no good ideas for the country; and Clinton is the embodiment of the braindead entitlement of our political class that has led the country to the political climate we find ourselves in today. That's only going to get worse once she assumes the presidency.

I chose my words very carefully. This is not letting party allegiance blind me to differences in policy. I am aware that Clinton doesn't match all of my personal political beliefs. The people I was describing have shown no indication that Clinton matches any of theirs, in spite of claiming the mantle of progressivism.

On a personal note, it's getting incredibly frustrating, because they spam their Facebook wall with more poo poo than I can easily research and rebuff, and it's slowly drawing other friends into their insane tinfoil circle.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Donkwich posted:

I do remain optimistic that the Dems can retake middle America with the right messaging and base of support. If Arkansas can vote for a minimum wage increase, and if Kansas has had enough of the GOP destroying everything to potentially turn blue, there's definitely room for the Dems to make some headway and evaporate the GOP's systemic Senate advantage.

Uh, what? Systemic House advantage, sure, but you can't gerrymander the Senate. Unless you're talking about Senators being elected in off-years under a Democratic president, which doesn't seem like a systemic advantage so much as a chance alignment.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bushiz posted:

Assange has been promising that he's got a huge stash of information that would bring down EVERYTHING and he's just waiting for the right moment to send it out basically since the day anyone heard of him.

Does anyone have a list of these non-events handy? It might come in handy the next time someone I know brings up Wikileaks.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Barudak posted:

Is she the one that had an affair with Tony Blair or am I mixing up wives?

Yes.

quote:

Reminder that we live in a universe where

-- A US presidential candidate hired a campaign manager, pro-bono, with a checkered past and possible ties to Russian oligarchs
-- Shortly after this individual joined the campaign, the candidate made a series of bizarre policy statements that break from his party's tradition but would benefit Russian interests if implemented
-- Months later, news breaks that said campaign manager still maintains an office in former Soviet bloc country, where he recently helped to install pro-Putin leadership
-- Also, secret ledgers reveal that the pro-Putin Ukrainian government paid said manager almost $13 million, of which just $63,000 was reported as income to the IRS

And WHILE all this is breaking, actually simultaneously,

-- the daughter of said presidential hopeful is on a vacation with the (unconfirmed, but widely believed) girlfriend of Vladimir Putin
-- (said girlfriend is also the ex-wife of Fox News owner Rupert Murdoch, who initiated divorce proceedings because he believed she might be having an affair with Tony Blair)

------------------
All of these things are true.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

You want debate prep against Trump, you debate prep with me.

:vince:

I might pay actual money to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Someone a while back posted an article talking about what Clinton's first 100 days might include, as well as her transition team. I am having the damnedest time finding that article on my own, so can someone help me out?

I, too, have friends who seized on Salazar's appointment as a(nother) signal that Clinton is unredeemable. I'm not worried about convincing them, I'm worried about them demoralizing our mutual friends who don't have the same unhealthy obsession with politics that I/we do.

• Locked thread