Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Serrath posted:

Well, in the same 48 hour period Trump got trapped in an elevator and then proceeded to verbally attack the firefighter who rescued him in a speech at a rally 30 minutes later, nude pictures of his wife were leaked to the New York Post who subsequently published them on their front page and it's very possible that Trump's office either leaked them or approved of their printing, Trump has been engaged in a very public and damaging feud with the father of a Gold Star winning veteran who was killed in Iraq, Trump has been complaining about the debate schedule with seems to be a prelude to him backing out and has possibly been caught lying about whether the NFL contacted him to complain about the dates of the presidential debates, and gave an interview that strongly suggested he doesn't actually know what's happening in Crimea with respect to the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.

If you knew all of these things happened then I imagine you're pretty caught up with the events of the weekend

I... I keep telling myself to not be surprised by things anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

sarmhan posted:

Thank you Trump for torpedoing your campaign in the most effective way I could have imagined.

‘This Will Be The End Of Trump’s Campaign,’ Says Increasingly Nervous Man For Seventh Time This Year

This article is from December.

I won't believe it's over until Hillary swears in.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, this lovely state may actually flip if the Hispanic community goes out big this year. Doubly so if the Native community decides to say no to Trump. Sun City and the white rural areas aren't going to stop that.

Arizona might be really exciting!

In Maricopa County, I have high hopes for a new recorder after the fuckup of the Presidential Preference Primary.

I spent all day hanging out with voters, and there were a ton of people who were voting for the first time, and said that Trump was their motivation.

Several times a car slowly drove by and some guy leaned out the window to yell "gently caress TRUMP!" and got fairly enthusiastic cheers from the crowd.

These were different people in different cars, all independently acting.

At that location, line was closed at 7. Last vote was cast shortly after 11.

People were showing up and being turned away for being late until about 8.

People are really loving scared of Trump.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Higher turnout in Arizona gets rid of Arpaio.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah they're idiots if they think Jill Stein is anything but an antiscience hack at this point.

I don't think that Jill Stein is an anti science hack. I think her base is antiscience and if she makes a firm statement in support of vaccines without any caveats about the FDA being corrupted, they'll turn on her.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is the Clinton Foundation a CIA front or something?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Munkeymon posted:

What if it's DWS?

Wouldn't be surprising. The email leak has shown that the DNC has repeatedly tried to rig the election in favor of Democratic candidates.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Riosan posted:

I can almost believe GA, but AZ is in play too? You're making GBS threads me.

Would anyone be interested in an AZ thread, here or in YCS?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ImpAtom posted:

Clinton will probably drop a bit once Trump stops making GBS threads the bed daily. It would be entirely implausible for her lead to remain this large all the way to election day if just because even Trump is unlikely to make mistakes 24/7.

No. If Trump's mistakes were video games, this election would be a year long Steam Summer Sale, where every single day you log in and are like "Fallout 4 for $1.33! Sure! Plus the DLC for $0.67." Every single day, over and over again since last year. And you don't ever really get a chance to finish any games because you keep buying more.

If he stops loving up, we're gonna look at the backlog and find one or two of the best games and do an elder scrolls style binge.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I assume any judge would grant a motion to withdraw, right?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Oh god, I hope that this marks a shift in the way the media is approaching the Trump campaign.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been thinking about this Trump Purple Heart thing. I don't think he can back down, but if he had a shred of common sense, he'd have that medal mounted in a nice display, with a portrait of that veteran. He'd then hang it up in his office in a conspicuous place. Then, he'd arrange for an interview or a photoshoot where you can see it in the background.
After that, if necessary, he'd leak to some smaller news site that it's visible, or make some sort of meme about it and get it spread virally. He'd then arrange for someone to ask him about it, and brush it off with something like "Look, I brought it up at my speech because I was blown away by the gesture, but to be honest, this is a personal thing between me and that veteran. I put that up in my office so that I can have a constant reminder of what's really important. If you have a problem with that you can take a hike."

But Trump is Trump, so I won't be surprised if he starts trying to collect as many Purple Hearts as possible.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

straight up brolic posted:

If he had a shred of common sense he would not have accepted the purple heart

True, but he can't undo that, and he can't admit he's wrong.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PhazonLink posted:

He should start wearing it.

Oh god, I hope so.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Jill Stein would be able to easily end the vaccine thing by making a statement in support of vaccines without any qualifications or equivocation.

Something as simple as: "Vaccines are a critical part of basic healthcare, and I fully endorse the CDC vaccine schedule."

She could even do: "I have serious concerns about the influence that industry has within the FDA and CDC, but that should not be interpreted as distrust of vaccines. Vaccinate yourself and vaccinate your children."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Yinlock posted:

That would destroy her base though. And why would someone ever put the well-being of children over their personal political agenda?

Of course, so she won't do it, so this isn't a bullshit issue. She can put this to rest, she just won't.
I'm not going to ask for Jill's vaccine records or proof that she's vaccinated her son. That'd be birther level stuff.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a person who's won two Precinct Committeperson elections, I've technically won the same number of elections for office as Jill Stein.

Edit:

To be fair, Lexington has a population of 31,394. My precinct has a population of about 6000 and I only represent Democrats.

On the other hand, her election was for one precinct out of 9. so she represents about 3-4000 people.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 7, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It was really weird how a guy who joined the Democratic party after 25 years in congress as an independent didn't magically transform half of the DNC apparatchik into Bernie supporters. Unfair.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wish I'd had access to the member list of a bunch of Bernie Sanders Facebook groups throughout the cycle.

I would guess that the more moderate Sanders supporters have been thoroughly scared off from their old Sanders groups by the radical crazies who are basically just posting Breitbart articles and Rothschilds conspiracy stuff.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DaveWoo posted:

538.com just updated its Nowcast.

This almost certainly won't actually happen, but it's still fun to imagine

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When Frank loving Luntz thinks you're too far to the right, you're way out in right field.

I think I saw some attacks on Luntz a while back as him being an establishment RINO. He seems like a pretty mercenary guy so if the party isn't loyal to him, he doesn't have any reason to pull punches.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I didn't know that the consulate was a secret location.

I always thought it was a prominent building that the Ambassador was openly operating out of.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What gets me excited is the idea that the RNC is going to have to put money into what should be safe states.

Arizona should be a state where the Republican candidate can show up, do a photo op with Sheriff Joe and sells shirts at a giant rally.

Now it's a battleground and there'll be BLM protestors outside stealing his thunder.

This is the best election.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tumble posted:

I wonder if Trump's ego can actually withstand the humiliation of losing badly.

My prediction is he bounces back the next day, and spends the next eight years twittershitting on Hillary.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if instead, I make a facebook group that is mostly people who have similar political views as I do, maybe a youtube channel, a twitter, newsletter etc.
Then I announce via all those channels that I'm doing a poll and get 1000 respondents.
That's like a 4% error rate if I did my math right!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

iospace posted:

When is the Arizona primary anyway?

Right now.

Early ballots are mailed out, election day is on the 30th.

I say right now because early voting is a substantial portion of the vote.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

McCain does not have "arizona by the balls." He's been consistently close in polling and facing a tough primary.

I don't know how much campaign signs count for, but if signs could vote, Kelli Ward would be winning.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

theflyingorc posted:

UGHHHH imagine playing Catan with Trump he'd be so obnoxious when trading

I think he'd go whole hog into building the longest road so it wouldn't be a huge problem.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have a different theory:

Did Singer Montell Jordan Predict The Rise Of The Islamic State Back In 1995?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

gfsincere posted:

Know who I want to vote for? The person that makes it illegal to discriminate against felons in housing. I know that's a potentially fatal thing for a politician to say, but I can't rent an apartment in Atlanta even though I make 6 figures and have good credit because I punched a cop (while filming them beat a black person they pulled over) 10 years ago. Sorry to vent but that's bullshit and if they love to pull that whole "tough on crime but make it so people who have committed crimes can integrate back into society" bullshit, it needs to be backed by actual policy. I've never had a problem with getting a job. This is literally the first time my criminal record has come up in 10 years. Never had a problem in either Chicago or NYC.

Have you talked to a lawyer about your options?

Maybe you can get a pardon.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've noticed that there's billboards from both Castle megastore and Hustler in Phoenix.

Hustler's slogan is "Summer just got hotter"
Castle's is "If you can't stand the heat, stay in the bedroom."

I don't know about anyone else, but when I see "Summer just got hotter" I'm like "gently caress no!"

Edit: Thought this was the Phoenix thread.
Both stores sell lingerie and other stuff
Hustler is a newcomer in the area, they just opened a new store.
Castle has been around for a long time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know what would be funnier:

Trump announces his plan, and it truly is a simple, obvious solution that makes total sense now that he mentions it, and we're all baffled as to why we didn't do it in the first place.

Or.

Donald Trump announces a nuanced, carefully researched plan that clearly shows he has a detailed understanding of the politics involved.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Our world being a simulation is becoming more and more reasonable.

Some goony motherfucker is trying to make the most insane election ever. He's even exporting characters from other timelines, like the one where the 2000 election didn't get rigged, and importing them into our timeline, just to amp up the insanity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm watching without sound. What was up with that halfassed clap as he walked off?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We ignore the poo poo out of a lot of events, but for her it's probably a political decision.

I'm looking forward to the winter Olympics to watch some curling.

Now that's a spectator sport!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'd agree with how she's been treated since, what, 1991/2? Even Laura Bush didn't get that level of scrutiny, and she, you know, killed a dude.

I had to look that up.

Hillary, you need to up your game. Snopes has the score at 1/0

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a resident of Arizona, I hope you all appreciate our long term project to concentrate as many racist seniors into Sun City as possible.

We're nearing phase two, where we lower a concrete sarcophagus over the entire retirement community.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheBizzness posted:

Did I miss where someone posted about Trump saying black people "live in poverty, so what do they have to lose?" By voting for him?

Because I didn't see it and god drat is this guy something.

It actually makes sense if you understand that this is basically his sales pitch to poor white Americans.

The problem is that Black people actually know what they have to lose.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Freakazoid_ posted:

If I ever have kids, my game plan is to pick names from Castlevania. Half of them are european enough to not look like I named them after video games.

Gonna name my child "Kid Dracula"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When I was in the Navy, I went to school with Mars Millennium Falcon Starcruiser.

• Locked thread