Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Captain Rufus posted:

I just had the worst Facebook discussion with a friend. Pat the NES Punk did a video on Wolverine and the digital war crime known as X MEN. You know, one of the worst commercially released NES era Videogames ever loving made that was released in the USA. LJN deciding to ruin every comic book and videogame fan's holiday with this abortion that singlehandedly proves the Nintendo Seal of Quality was complete horseshit.

My friend was upset and is DEFENDING this game.

Jesus loving wept. I mean infamous Kusoges like Friday the 13th NES, NES Spelunker? They have potential and some good ideas mired by critical flaws but X Men? Only the slow torture of everyone who allowed that weekend ruining pile of Nurgle's Rot until they plead for the sweet release of death that should never be granted no matter how many bloody tears they shed would forgive that evil unleashed upon the world. :doom:

(Course my friend is one of those who thinks everything he loved as a child is automatically great now and forever in spite of all evidence proving that like all of us he had generally terrible taste as a kid because we all didn't know any better. And he also has shared dumb poo poo a minute's Googling would lead to Snopes and prove false. And then not even go "Oops my bad!". Guy is one of the genuinely one of the loveliest people you will ever meet but ye gods can he be dumb as a goddamned brick. :smith: )

Defending NES X Men. I've seen it all.

Vvvv geez. You sure do get salty on a fuckload of people in this thread don't you? vvvvvvv

your dumb freakout posts would be (very) slightly less embarrassing if you could talk like a normal person instead of like you somehow got kidnapped and held hostage in an early 2000s video game message board until today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

breakers is cool

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I've only beaten NES GnG but I feel it's actually pretty good until the last two levels take a real sharp dive into the ground. The first four are definitely hard, but it mostly feels like your fault when you die. Then the second-to-last level has enemies constantly and randomly spawning all over the screen and the last level requires you to wait for the random AI to do exact behaviors in order to progress.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm playing the 3ds chibi robo game, and it's really good, but the real world products are jarring and the long in game descriptions are essentially commercials. Were the other games in the series like that?

Nope, also the other Chibi-Robo games are actually good

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Clearly someone's never played Pikmin 2.

Pikmin 2 handles the product placement stuff way better because all the text is optional and it's a tiny spaceman trying to figure out what the hell a battery is, Chibi-Robo Zip Lash makes you sit through like a solid minute of I LOVE THE DELICIOUS TASTE OF Dubble Bubble Twist GumŪ, ALL THE CHEWYNESS OF GUM BUT WITH A TWIST every time you give someone something

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 26, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Just about any other emulation solution is better and cheaper than getting a Retron and if you absolutely need to engage with your carts in some way then just like place them on top of your computer or RetroPie or whatever and make believe, that's basically what you're doing with the Retron anyway.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Get Breakdown.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

The Game Boy Micro is good, and my friend

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Phantasium posted:

It... it still happens guys don't give up on your search.

Are you supposed to pair it with the composite cables?

i hate you so much

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

people who don't know about good emulation talking like they do and saying things like "well mario 64 ran on my pentium 3" and "* worked perfectly on my psp" is extremely my poo poo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Dr. Dos posted:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/795770131800473600

Donation drive for some undumped Satellaview stuff including a Kirby game

please donate to save the kirby games.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

the kirbs got saved

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/796016016262168576

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Flicky's better.

hosed up

Miles McCloud posted:

GAME

POKEMON
cock version

5.79 on aliexpress TONIGHT ONLY.

a friend of mine recently got a copy of this and dumped it because it wasn't readily available online for some weird reason, and then i played through it on stream. it's very special

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

d0s posted:

we said super nintendo or S.N.E.S or super NES. I never heard it called "snez" at any point when I was a kid

these are the only correct ways to say it and if you pronounce "snes" as a word you're a monster

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I'm mildly curious about what happens when you try to trade pokemon with people playing on the regular cart.

It's just a text and level layout hack of Red so it'll work fine. Judging by the ingame trades they didn't change any of the generic "now trading" text to anything funny either. i played all of it on the world wide web, again

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I try not to throw my stream/stream archives in here much because it feels weird (look that last post was an exception regarding a weirdly specific thing ok) but I played an insane Lethal Enforcers ripoff on my random MAME stream called Under Fire and I have to show it to people. It's Taito trying to do LE like a year later but with about 3 different voice clips and what I can only describe as "half the graphics" and I love it. This video is timestamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsQaMghKiE&t=5278s

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

streets of rage 3's soundtrack seems like exactly the kind of thing someone who collects video game soundtrack vinyls would love

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

jfc, a friend of mine stopped in a pawn shop and apparently the security guard was like "hey you know anyone who wants a super nintendo" and produced a box with a snes and like 60 games. he bought it for $100 and, in addition to pretty much all the big nintendo games and some good 3rd party stuff, there's poo poo like dracula x and demon's crest in there. i'm stupid fuckin jealous

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

But on the other hand flash solutions are just paying extra to pirate when one could just emulate all of it cheaper if not free. gently caress, a Cheapass 30 dollar Straight Talk phone from Walmart runs ps1 emulation at full speed.

lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I bought a Dreamcast last month, and I had been taking the VMU out to save battery. The past couple times I played the VMU beeped at me after shutting the console down and removing it. I had to redo the whole date and time thing for the VMU.

What is happening?

Battery's dead.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How are they playing GBA on an N64? No way am I watching that 1 hour video.

I haven't watched it either but you can play GBA games on an N64 with a Wideboy64 AGB, which was used at trade shows of the time to get GBA games up on a TV. I've wanted one for a good long while but, as with everything, it's too drat expensive these days.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

To me the Genesis sound chip was capable of reaching higher highs and lower lows than the SNES's and even though it was way easier for devs to hit some rock fuckin' bottom lows, the highs hit high enough for me to like it better and the most important thing to remember they're both very different things and anyone who calls either bad is a huge dumbo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

d0s posted:

those people are insane

snes sparkster is absolutely better than genesis sparkster. like sure it's boring but at least it's not dogshit like genesis version.

rocket knight adventures is still so much better than both that it doesn't matter anyway

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Wario World is, sadly, aggressively mediocre.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Skyward Sword's controls were perfectly fine for me. Now, the game you used those controls to play on the other hand...

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

So I wrote a whole big thing about the company behind the upcoming Windjammers PS4 port and I figure at least a couple of you here would probably be interested in it. http://coolgreat.website/post/155770371870/why-dotemu-has-me-worried-about-windjammers-on-the

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

every time sega trio discussion comes up i remember how glad i am i jumped on that first batch

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

use 240p test suite, follow a guide for calibrating color bars, don't try to match up pictures between displays (especially lcd to crt what). it's really that simple

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

So I started streaming random arcade games again last night and got ESWAT and boy, that's a real fun and goofy rear end game. Doesn't overstay its welcome, solid action, a bunch of dumb poo poo happening (you get to be a policeman in a robot suit and kick a monster truck to death), it's pretty great. Playing the arcade version made me go and take more than a passing glance at the Genesis version but it seemed just as boring as I'd always thought ESWAT looked, which is why I never bothered with the arcade version in the first place. Anyway, play ESWAT.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 10, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

azurite posted:

Where's the best place to start in the Yakuza series?

If you don't mind jumping around a bit between newer and more dated gameplay and just want to experience Yakuza, Yakuza 0 just came out in the US for the PS4 and is the perfect place to start. It's a prequel, obviously, so you don't need to know anything about the series and it's also very good. A remake of Yakuza 1 called Kiwami that ties into 0 is coming out later this year as well. Going back to 2 and 3 after those might be rough (2 from a gameplay refinement standpoint and 3 from a it's kinda boring and still not all that refined standpoint) but if you don't care about experiencing the gradual improvement of the systems, Yakuza 0 is the way to go.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 11, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

shoulda took out the rest too

e: just having a pretty decent variation of max man buried in the middle of this 5 minute sea of other sor3 sounding garbage is really funny to me

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 13, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

d0s posted:

edit: also it resulted in hilarious situations like nintendo getting caught out warezing their own games

i personally like this one a lot https://tcrf.net/Wolfenstein_3D_(Game_Boy_Advance)#Cracktro

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

d0s posted:

Well as long as they don't send impossamole and alfred chicken

please help alfred find his girlfriend and/or the watering cans

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

MvC1 is way more cohesive and 1000% better at being a fan-service thing but MvC2 is just like a million times more fun to play

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I finally got to play a Super System at MAGFest this year. They're weird and cool but oh man the controller. On the one hand it's loving rad because it's just a giant microswitched SNES controller, but on the otherhand it's an uncomfortable nightmare because it's a GIANT angular locked-in-place SNES controller. Didn't stop me from playing through all of Knight League in F-Zero though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know if Frank's going to pimp his new venture here so I'll do it for him: he's officially launched a non-profit org to work full-time on the preservation of games and game history and you can help fund their work via Patreon or one-off donations:

http://gamehistory.org/

https://www.patreon.com/gamehistoryorg

This is the only Patreon I support aside from that one dude translating PC-98 games that stopped taking donations and disappeared a couple months back

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Awww maaaaan.

Yeah, he seemed like he was busy with other stuff so i'm hoping he'll eventually be back and let me give money at him again

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

never trust a weed doer, it's illegal

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I remember slowly writing roms to a parallel port Zip disk. Holy poo poo 100mb of portable roms was mind blowing back then.

And to sorta combine the two recent topics, back when I was in high school my mom worked at the library of my old middle school so I'd just dick around in there when I got out. I ended up installing a torrent client to a computer and using that to download a ton of anime in the background since they never turned them off. Every day after school I would slowly load as much of it as I could onto a couple of Zip disks, then bring them home and copy them onto my computer. Eventually one of them broke and got a corrupted episode of Chobits stuck on it forever, which made me extra mad cause that show ended up being garbo. Even with the one disk all of this was still faster and more efficient than doing it at home on my connection.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

My favorite thing about Keith Courage is and always will be the "oh god we gotta un-anime this" backstory comic. http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/367/retro-scan-special-edition-keith-courage-in-alpha-zones-comic

hello son it is i, gundam dad. gundad

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

d0s posted:

hell has frozen over, I found an ok deal on an old game at a thrift store in a major metropolitan area in 2017

The Best One

• Locked thread