Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is it true video games are bad for you? I am not a violent person, and I do NOT want to become one, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wizgot posted:

Quick question. Which is better, Super Mario Land 2 or 3?

But yeah OK 2 is the better of the pair you mentioned. 3 is pretty dry for a Wario game.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I saw a guy walking around wearing an Illusion of Gaia shirt like a decade ago and I have never been so envious of a piece of merch.

Probably woulda stopped him and demanded to know more if it had been Terranigma, tho

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Back in 2005 I softmodded an Xbox and swapped in a 120GB HDD without needing to buy a game or a special cable or anything, but all I remember about the instructions I followed is that I spent an entire afternoon repeatedly failing to hotswap the hard drive at just the right moment, so $8 worth of James Bond and USB adapter is the smart way to do it probably

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Phantasia GBA owns for translating "ragnarok" as "kangaroo" because someone ran the script through microsoft word spell check real quick and didn't notice that change

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

I was kind of exaggerating for comedic effect. (As I am wont to do.) It's a very very very bad game. So bad. Like Hydlide is better. Spelunker. Arcade Pit Fighter. Time Killers. No for the record I did not post my rage hate on my Facebook when I linked to the Pat video. Which I merely did to my own wall as it was nice to see someone who also suffered through that pos. I think AVGN also might have endured it? Or Projared? My friend did not really approve. But he is pure nostalgia goggles for everything. But watching him see or play things from his childhood causes him to try to excuse their awfulness. One thing I shared directly with him was the recent Phelous Transformers stupidity countdown. He tried to defend CARBOMBYA. It was not good. Yet he hates Beast Wars because it's not G1. Which is heresy. (He makes amazingly dumb excuses when he fucks up. Something he used to do quite often. Instead of apologizing when he pissed us off for his latest derp.)

It still blows my mind somebody could like that game at all. I will have to ask him how old he was when he first played it and how long has it been since he played it last? I am betting 10 years old played it and 25 years ago.

I mean it's just pop culture poo poo either way so it's just harmless fun really. He can like it if he wishes. Imma still give him friendly ribbing over it. I did show him the AVGN Festers Quest video back in the day because he said he loved that game. His reactions were adorable.

That's Rufus' lesson for the day kids: your childhood loves were probably stupid. Cherish the memories but don't try refreshing them. That leads to pain and wondering why you were supposed to root for the Nerds in Revenge of the Nerds. :psyduck:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I did this and I remember being worried that I'd suck at gamecube games when they first revealed its controller

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

flyboi posted:

Always integer scale please your pixels will thank you
There are a lot of people running around on SA with improperly scaled sprite avatars and it makes me want to smash a bro I tell you what!!!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

And the first release of the MGS Twin Snakes. Best MGS release IMO.
Twin Snakes only ever came out on the Gamecube.

Also, uh, debatable

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Discount Viscount posted:

It's slightly convoluted or at least undocumented. IIRC you have to boot up with the nunchuk and a GCN controller plugged in and then just unplug the nunchuk once you're in the playable part of the game or something. Switches over to the laser pointer instead of the crosshair and you can go to town just as before.
I've only ever played the Wii version of RE4. Halfway through my second playthrough I discovered I could use a GCN pad and I lasted all of five minutes before deciding I hated it and it ruined my enjoyment of the game. It's a game I'd really love to play again someday and I've been tempted to pick up the PS4 version but seriously I dread the idea of aiming with the stick.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

i think this was his answer

it took him over 90 hours to complete, because you have to learn how to play the piano to finish the entire game

but if you already know how to play piano maybe it's a piece of cake
What is the "Mattel or Nes versions of the Nintendo Entertainment System" text on the label referring to?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

xenogears and dream theater :awesome:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

UK RESISTANCE is still the best UK games thing.
:rip:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I remember there was still a little bit of that in N64 Magazine before it became NGC/Ngamer/whatever it is now. Every issue included a fake cheat code/unlockable that they specifically said was bogus – even going to the trouble of mocking up a convincing-looking fake screenshot of a VW beetle in F-Zero X or whatever each month – and they had a few surreal comics and letters features in there too. Like, the guy who answered reader mail would just call you a dumb twit for writing in, stuff like that. Also one time they gave some shovelware game a 1/10 and the whole review was just the word "dump" :allears:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

Everyone laughed at the kid who pronounced Ryu's name ROO and Guile's name GOOLEY when they were clearly supposed to be REEYOO and GWILLY.
Suddenly reminded of people pronouncing psychic "physic" during the pokemon red/blue days

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Day one of the Midwest gaming classic was good times

AH nice, they should make armbands that also say that too, maybe with black text set in a nice neat white circle. imo

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Your username is pretty on the nose, huh?
Wow, way to tell everyone you don't know how hats work

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm at a barcade and YouTube user metaljesusrocks is here.
that dude seems OK, but bc of his handle I always get him confused with that other Gamer Coolguy who uses his ridiculous collection shelf as a backdrop for all his rant-into-the-camera videos + only ever wears metal band shirts + talks like an 11yo who just figured out he can get away with saying gently caress on the internet

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Alphaomegasin?
Had to google that but haha yeah that's him.

I just wish everyone could be more like LGR, that guy is so good it's crazy

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Buy me Death Duel or go to hell

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Just curious, did you use a Supercard with it? Like the original/early Supercard that had the huge box that stuck out of the slot?

My big fat launch DS's port is pretty much totally hosed now and only works with the Supercard. If I put a regular DS card in, it just slips out again.

[insert morality lesson about the evils of such devices here and how I had this coming]

... you know, I haven't played with my DS in a while, and I did just find the charger... I wouldn't mind firing it up again, I kinda miss it.

e. This fuckin' thing

Hah poo poo I forgot all about these things. Was that from before or after the DS cards that acted as a passthrough to let you load roms off a GBA cart?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lol that someone thought Xenophobe was a good name for a game. Lookin forward to Xenophobe 2: Racist

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I was thinking "Which Dream Theater album cover is this?" for way too long before I actually looked up and read your post. Now it's coming back to me.
Hahah no kidding, it really does look like a 90s DT cover. They don't make 'em like they used to. I'm talking about game ads and Dream Theater albums here

Reminds me: There's a magazine ad for Resident Evil 2 on the N64 that I vividly remember but I've never been able to find any trace of it online. Two page spread, bright sunny blue sky over a field of sunflowers, text reading "the sun has got his hat on, hip hip hip hooray, the sun has got his hat on, Resident Evil 2 is coming out on the Nintendo 64 today". No game logo, no RE character art, nothing. Just a field of sunflowers. I can't even remember what magazine it was in. No clue why but it's always stuck with me.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

univbee posted:

"Pretty much" nothing, if you get both the 1.5 and 2.5 bundle, and KH 2.8, you'll have absolutely every KH game made thus far.
Except for the ones where they stripped out the gameplay and turned them into several-hours-long cutscenes but I'm assuming that's because they weren't particularly good games

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is it better than FFIV?
I'm definitely in the minority feeling this way but like it a lot more than both IV and VI. Visually it sits somewhere between the two games (more detail than IV, less than VI, but consistently brighter and more vibrant colour palettes than both of them), and plot- and setting-wise it's nonsensical and incoherent even by FF standards, but the gameplay is probably my favourite in the series. Same kinda job system that I and III had but massively expanded and unlike those games it's actually still fun as gently caress in the year 2017. Play the GBA version.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Only Shallow posted:

They aren't all useful but I picked up this lot of goodies recently and am really excited for a few of them:

Got a clear OG Xbox devkit I want to use to run Chihiro games (requiring 128mb RAM), a Vita devkit that's useless because its activation is expired, a prototype Dualshock 4, a Gamecube TDEV, a RVT-T (Green Wii), a RVT-H (Wed Wii) that I still need to boot up and see if it contains any game builds, and a blue PSX DTL-H1101 debugger that I need to find a power supply for.
Is the DS4 proto the version with the Vita-style d-pad?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Only Shallow posted:

Yeah, and a mini USB jack. I don't own a PS4 so haven't tried it with anything yet. PC maybe?
drat, I'm jealous. And still pretty disappointed that they stuck to the old style dpad for the final design.

e: There don't seem to be many photos of the PS4 controller prototype online, and it looks like there isn't a single actual video of it on youtube. I'd be keen to see it in action if you're willing to go to the trouble at some point :)

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 3, 2017

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Well uh that's an internet meme I haven't seen in like a decade :stare:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ofecks posted:

I've been enjoying Jeremy Parish's chrontendo-like series. It'll be 2050 by the time he finishes all 3 systems, but I really like the mostly no-nonsense and in-depth approach.
I can't fault him for his super slick presentation and the level of detail he goes into but I just find the Chrontendo guy more likeable. poo poo I think I actually prefer the comparatively lo-fi style Chrontendo has in general, although maybe I'm just habituated to it after 50 episodes or whatever

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A couple of apparently previously unknown Saturn prototypes just surfaced. If I'm reading the machine translation correctly, the person who owns them is trying to sell them for €2500 apiece.

I really dig the second CDX-looking one.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

an FTP server on GamingForce
lol jesus :rip:

That place was dope, it was pretty much The Place for game music for at least a few years back in the mid-late 2000s, especially compared to the total shitshow that was Galbadia Hotel. I never gave a poo poo about lossless audio but maaaan there were so many people running FTPs full of flac/high bitrate mp3 rips of any OST you could think of. Also they had a pretty consistent stream of people registering to ask where all the MUGEN files were even though there was literally zero interest in it among the community there, I think what happened was someone made a thread saying "what even is MUGEN" and it wound up being a first page result when you googled the name.

Also maybe my favourite piece of forums drama ever was when a guy there got laughed off the site after he opened up his new 360 to dump a shitload of thermal paste all over the insides just in case it RROD'd, and posted a thread whining about Microsoft being incompetent when it wouldn't turn on afterwards :allears:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Where can I get a clip of the howling wind effect used in FF6 and Chrono Trigger that sounded like a weirdass digital WHOOoooOooOoOAAOOO noise on older versions of snes9x? That was the way I first experienced those games back in like '02-'04 and for the longest time I didn't realise that wasn't what it was supposed to sound like.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Only Shallow posted:

I've always thought it was the other way around. Micro USB ports have broken for me on a few devices, but never a Mini.

That's my favorite difference about the prototype Dual Shock 4 over the final design.

Thanks for the comparison photo, I think this might actually be the best one of its kind full stop :v: Seriously, I haven't had much luck finding detailed shots of the DS4 proto.

Triggers certainly got a lot better by the time they finalised the design, I can't imagine playing PS4 games with squishy PS3 style L2/R2 buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I read the article wrong - they have permission from Stardock (current owners of the IP) and have been working on a sequel for a while, they just can't use the name. Their deal is with Activision.
:woop:

UQM2 is great news; being able to support the devs without any money going to Wardell/Stardock is the cherry on top.

• Locked thread