Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
how is it that we have a new thread and I already have 4 pages to catch up on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

BattleMoose posted:

I am going to UK/France soon. Part of my trip I certainly plan on going through the Normandy beaches and maybe spending a night in Caen and so forth. Have people here been through that area before? Can you tell me if there are anything specific I should go to/do? Even if its a little out of the way and worth it, very interested. Will also be in Paris.

Thanks!

If you have the time you should stop in Bayeux for half a day or so, it's maybe 25-30 kilometers NW of Caen. They have a pretty good WW2 museum but what you should really check out is the Bayeux Tapestry. In my opinion it's one of those "can't miss" things in Normandy if you're a history buff.

I only stopped in Caen to see the fortress there, but that was neat too.

In Paris you should definitely go to the French Army museum. There are six or seven different exhibits focusing on different time periods or themes, and the entire place is really fuckin' cool.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it seems to me like the kind of person who could afford a horse would also be able to afford "real" weapons

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ice Fist posted:

This is the best thing

the Perusine war was serious business

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, it's trying to convey a sense of scale to a non-expert audience. I'm even willing to roll with their choice in statistics for that, since the over-all intent is to create an impression of the magnitude of the casualties.

I've done something similar in Holocaust classes i've taught, going really in depth on one person's life story so they get involved and have at least some emotional reaction when they find out they died, then talking about how many people from that person's village died, how many were killed in the action she died in, how many similar massacres happened that year in Eastern Europe, and then stepping it up to total dead in the Holocaust. If you just start out with "Six Million" people can't wrap their skulls around it, but if you step it up starting with units that they can grasp the enormity slowly trickles in.

I'd be really interested to hear more about how you do this, like a specific story.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the Union Army was the most powerful standing army on Earth in April 1865. Obviously that changed rapidly during demobilization, but was this true? It would make sense considering the US had just finished fighting a total war against the Southern States.

That was John Keegan, I want to say. I can see the argument for it, but it's kind of impossible to prove if it's true or not.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want to read this horrible book now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Professor Shark posted:

Was there a special term used for those soldiers who would go around after a battle with spears and kill the wounded, similarly to how a soldier on guard duty is termed a "sentry"?

I'm pretty sure that this was actually a fairly rare occurrence, and that when wounded soldiers were killed on the battlefield it was usually by people looting the bodies.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Professor Shark posted:

I just assumed they did it based on movies, I thought it was a way of making sure injured soldier didn't make their way back to the enemy

If you couldn't get off the field yourself, and weren't helped, you were probably going to bleed out anyway. I'd imagine that in a lot of cases, killing severely wounded opponents left on the field would probably be merciful.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

and American cavalry just generally not being as good at that particular job as in Napoleonic armies.

why was this, do you think? I know for much of it's history the US was heavily forested, and cavalry was more often used as scouting/raiding roles, or for fighting indians, so did we never really develop the same kind of heavy cavalry tradition as European armies?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
its one of those laser turrets from the Hoth battle in Empire Strikes Back

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Have you read or encountered "This Vast Southern Empire"? I picked it up the other week and a lot of its argument centers around how slavery was seen by its supporters as the future of the US economy, in a kind of triumphalist narrative. The paternalism was there as well of course but it was also viewed in extremely cold-blooded geopolitical terms. For example, the southerners heavily criticized Brazilian and Caribbean slavery for its high mortality, more because they feared it would provoke Great Britain's abolitionist streak into an aggressive foreign policy than any concern for slaves' wellbeing.

I've read this as well. It's very good, if anyone is on the fence.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Wait were you at the launch

Nah, I was out of town but I wanted to go. I heard his episode on Chapo Trap House and ended up picking it up a few weeks later.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it was sort of the other way around because while maille is time consuming to make, it's not especially difficult. Whereas plate armour requires a skilled smith.

This is correct. Mail (hamata) was a lot less difficult to produce despite being time consuming, and more importantly, it's easier to repair and maintain. Some historians believe that segmentata, while functional, wasn't something that was actually used in battle very often and was more like something they'd wear on parade. That's not to say it was never worn in battle, because it was, but mail was much more utilitarian and widespread for day-to-day stuff.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

StashAugustine posted:

What's the ~official milhist opinion~ on Mosby, while we're on ACW cavalry generals

Mosby was cool as hell

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think the monuments should be swept under the rug and ignored like that isn't an ugly part of our history, but I don't think they should be displayed publicly either. Are they being trashed or just relocated to The Museum of Assholes or something?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Telsa Cola posted:

Im completely fine with the monuments being swept under the rug. Its not like the very real impacts it has had and does have on people are going to fade anytime soon so saying its going to cause people to forget or hide it does not make sense to me.

Also I hope they don't store the statues. Its a terrible idea for multiple reasons.

no

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ainsley McTree posted:

good luck with your racist new governor, virginia

he's polling at like 7% within the republican candidates alone (and VA leans dem now anyway) so I think we get to avoid this guy, thanks

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SlothfulCobra posted:

What were the reasons that average southerners were given to go off and fight for slaves that they themselves probably would never own unless they were wealthy, and probably kept their wages down? I feel kinda bad about these dead men being risen up today as martyrs for a cause that didn't properly develop until after they were dead.

Because their local aristocrat was raising a regiment to defend their homes from the invader or something along those lines. The south was almost feudal in a lot of ways.

In other areas where it was less plantation-dominated, it was a sense of duty to the state. For a long time (and even still today to some extent) people identified with their state more than as American. You were Pennsylvanian, Virginian, or Georgian first, American second.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Elyv posted:

Does anyone know a book that's a good introduction to the various Turko-Mongolian steppe groups/culture, whether it's the Xiongnu, Gokturks, Avars, Khazars, or others? If that's too broad, does anyone know of a good work on one of them? I've been reading some stuff and listening to podcasts on the period roughly between 600-1000 and I'm realizing that I know absolutely nothing about them and they seem pretty significant.

I read "Empires of the Silk Road" a couple of years ago: https://www.amazon.com/Empires-Silk-Road-History-Central/dp/0691150346

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, and I didn't really agree with some of the conclusions he ended up at, but overall it was a decent read.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Seven Years War is the real World War 1 in my opinion

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My guess is that he's referring to the Nullification crisis, but he's too retarded to articulate his thoughts properly.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
*while being stabbed with a bayonet* um excuse me wtf

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've always been under the impression that Nazi Germany was pretty much hosed when the US formally entered the war simply due to the massive industrial capabilities and population that could conceivably be put into battle. Like, sure, if they beat the Soviets maybe the war drags on longer, but it seems like the US + British Empire would still be enough to win assuming things in the Pacific go more-or-less the same as they actually did.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Tias posted:

So, dumb facebook debate had me wondering, how many wars have French fought( for ease, let's say post-ancien regime), and how many of them have they won? Roughly speaking.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It really depends on how you divide it up. Is Napoleon one lost war or many winning wars capped off by a defeat?

And how do you classify wars where they were part of a coalition of allies? They were a part of the allied forces in the Crimean War, and they were an extremely important factor in the Allies winning World War 1. WW2 didn't go nearly as well but Charles de Gaulle and thousands of others fought with the allies the whole war.

Where does that joke originate from anyway? I'd imagine it's from before the early 2000s but I feel like it really became popular again after they refused to participate in the Iraq invasion.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i'm going to start a gofundme for a drinking experiment and i expect you all to contribute. thanks in advance.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
PS - Hattori Hanzo the swordsmith is not a real person, it's a guy made up for Kill Bill.

Well that's not quite true. There were several real-life Hattori Hanzo's, the most famous of which was a samurai from Iga province during the Sengoku period, who served Tokugawa Ieyasu, and was head of the ninja clans. This is cooler than making swords, in my opinion.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JcDent posted:

EDIT: Reviews of boar spears by guys who actually use them to hunt boars. Americans are crazy, why try to spear a boar when you can shoot it with a gun?

because its cool

also most American "boars" are really feral pigs, which are still dangerous but I think they're generally a lot smaller. We have actual boars too though because rich assholes imported them from Europe to hunt in the 1900s and they escaped.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
deadliest warrior was a cool show. also very stupid, and inaccurate a lot of the time, but cool.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SeanBeansShako posted:

They really just wanted to hit things with weapons but got bored of soda bottles/dead pigs and their mothers were angry at the mess on the carpets every drat time!

I liked the squad vs squad battles where it was dumb poo poo like "George Washington and 5 guys stumble upon Napoleon and 5 of his guys"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SeanBeansShako posted:

Let me guess, Old Guard against Minutemen?

Was it inconclusive because technically that is the same era?

For the last season they switched to pitting famous generals against each other for some reason. So you got stuff like...well I'm just going to post the list because its good:
George Washington vs Napoleon
Joan of Arc vs William the Conqueror
US Army Rangers vs North Korean Special Ops
Genghis Khan vs Hannibal
Saddam Hussein vs Pol Pot
Theodore Roosevelt vs Lawrence of Arabia
Ivan the Terrible vs Hernan Cortes
Crazy Horse vs Pancho Villa
French Foreign Legion vs Gurkhas
Vampires vs Zombies

GotLag posted:

I don't think anything can top the IRA vs Taliban episode.

There was Nazi SS vs Viet Cong I think

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 26, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I know this is a silly discussion (legions vs samurai), but those are fun.

When most people think of samurai they're imagining the Ashikaga/Sengoku period. Any samurai army at that time would probably annihilate a Roman legion simply due to technology. I don't think legions would be able to stand up to cannons and rotating volley fire from matchlock-armed infantry.

Heian period samurai...Romans probably win? I dunno. They had trouble with horse archers though, and that was the primary method of samurai warfare at the time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fangz posted:

Samurai Horse Archers weren't actually terribly good though, I thought?

Yeah that's true. It was great for fighting lightly armed rebels, which is mostly what samurai did around then, but probably not as effective in a large pitched battle. Yumi bows are kind of a weird shape too, and I don't think they have the same kind of range as a composite bow, especially from horseback.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

PittTheElder posted:

The real problem with these is that there's so many variables and permutations that you can't factor in at all. Like maybe the Romans annihilate the samurai a few times, but on the Xth day (after the armies magically re-incarnate or something?) a new consul shows up and he does something dumb, or some low level samurai commander seizes an opportunity that was missed previously, or the battle happens 2 km away and the terrain dictates an entirely different course of the battle.

I guess we'll never know, until we can create and abuse time travel technology

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

OwlFancier posted:

Romans have forbidden technology: shields.

Samurai used shields for a long time, especially during the Heian period. At some point the Japanese ended up being embroiled in a bunch of wars with these people in the Northeastern part of Japan who predominantly fought as hit-and-run cavalry, so the samurai abandoned sword and shield infantry fighting and focused more on horse archery and mounted combat. In a lot of armor from that period you'll see huge shoulder pads which are designed to be shields basically latched onto your shoulder since your hands would be preoccupied with the bow.

Anyway they spent a long time fighting without shields and that just kind of became the style. They still never really abandoned them, shields were common to defend archers and musketeers, and infantry would use them to assault castles and stuff, but the samurai never picked them up again since the emphasis had more-or-less permanently shifted to focus on archery and swordsmanship. Another factor is peasant infantry was predominantly armed with long spears and pikes, which weren't easy to use with shields.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Maybe they wouldn't have even fought. Maybe the Romans show up and both sides decide "hey these guys seem pretty bad rear end" and maybe the Japanese go "hey we've always wanted to conquer Korea and invade China, are you in?"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

zoux posted:

Did Cornwallis have a good career besides getting owned by colonials?

Ya. He defeated a French invasion of Ireland and also was a big factor in the unification of Britain and Ireland, among other things.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Chicago hot dogs are garbage. This is my Alamo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Benagain posted:

Here's a helmet related question, I'm assuming that straps to keep the helmet off your head and absorb more of the blow came in around WW1 but do we have any evidence of their use before then?

Do you mean the straps in the helmet specifically or helmet padding in general? Because using some kind of padding in helmets has been in practice basically forever. The Greeks and Romans would wear leather caps or thick headbands under their helmets, for example.