Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I wouldn't skip the entirety of Season 1, but you can definitely cherry-pick it more than the rest of the series.

You can totally skip the pilot though. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

When the Fashion It So blog finally runs out of TNG episodes I'm sure Babylon 5 will be right up their alley.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Data Graham posted:

You know they had to make the agonizing decision between courting the people who wanted properly framed two- and three-shots where you can't see film grain the size of baseballs, and placating the people who had just bought super-expensive HDTVs and would flood them with letters about how I PAID FOR WIDESCREEN, I DIDN'T PAY FOR NO GOL DANG BLACK BARS ON THE SIDES OF THE SCREEN

These are the same people who spend a thousand dollars on a new couch and then never take the plastic off.

I think I remember hearing the same complaints about the TNG remaster. The messaging was probably better there though, most people probably understood pretty quickly why it was kept in 4:3.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

It's like Swedish meatballs: every civilization has its own Day of the Dead.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I had the exact same thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKL_I4pJs84

I've been thinking about doing a rewatch myself, but some parts of the Earth arc are going to be really uncomfortable right now.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

We are all Cool Ranch Kosh.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Gaius Baltar might be partway there, but maybe not all the way.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

If Claudia Christian is all over the next round of Elder Scrolls and Fallout games like she was in Skyrim and Fallout 4, maybe she can pull some strings.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I'm just realizing that a bunch of Sheridan lines could be mixed with a bunch of Sam Jackson lines and it would be really hard to tell the difference.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Ivanova and Chekov would spend the whole crossover discussing all the cool poo poo Russians invented.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Vorlons ruin everything.

It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

We are all Gosh.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

A B5 reboot could be kinda interesting just to see if it follows the original B5 exactly or if it takes some of the intended story paths which had to be rewritten, like maybe we'd get more Sinclair, more Na'Toth, all Lyta and no Talia, or Talia with resolution, a longer civil war arc, tighter Minbari and telepath arcs... all kinds of stuff.

But it all falls apart once I try to imagine a recasted G'Kar. It can't be done.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Now that's a lot of Zima.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The Gathering is a weird ill-fitting pilot for B5 in similar ways as The Cage was to TOS. It's something probably best watched way later out of morbid curiosity or if you're a completist but a poor choice to kick off a fresh rewatch or to introduce new viewers unless they're extremely patient. Season 1 revisits most of The Gathering's relevant arc pieces anyway if I remember correctly.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

McSpanky posted:

If you can't handle Babylon 5 at its worst you don't deserve it at its best :colbert:

This is how people trick themselves and others into watching seven seasons of Voyager.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Does the music get any better? That's really the only cringey part to me.

Christopher Franke was definitely hitting those synths a lot harder in Season 1. There are a few cold open stingers in there that would scare my cat. This improves almost immediately in Season 2 and keeps improving.

It feels like roughly the same progression early TNG's scores made across their first few seasons.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I wish all sci-fi TV would do the B5 thing and roll an entirely new opening credits sequence every season.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

A buddy of mine is watching B5 for the first time on Comet and doing a pretty good job pointing out guest stars I've somehow never noticed in three or four runs, such as Jessica Walter as a random senator in Season 2. It's pretty fun to have a fair number of fresh eyes on this show after so long.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Vavrek posted:

I believe JMS said something to the effect that he wanted episodes to provoke discussions or, if possible, fistfights.

Considering some of the arguments I've been getting into lately with friends on their first B5 runs, mostly about Londo, I can totally believe this.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Everyone's left-handed because Babylon 5 takes place on the Enterprise's holodeck.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

dreadmojo posted:

I think Talia's actor jumped ship.

I vaguely remember years later she turned up as an anchor on CNN Headline News of all places and Jon Stewart made fun of her once. Unless that was a fever dream I had.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Tomalak's final appearance was amazing because Andreas was in full G'Kar mode. He only had a couple lines, but he delivered them with that same Narn bombast.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The 2004 edition is probably the one with the big book-like DVD cases, if so I'm betting the 2009 edition switched to the slimmer version. I doubt they made any changes to the transfer or even added new bonus features.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Narsham posted:

How about WHORU?

GDSNTME might get you into trouble.

But if you have real game, try BOOGEE and put a bucket sticker next to it.

ZOG

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

McSpanky posted:

The problem with doing "realistic" future pop culture is that, realistically, it should make as much sense and be as aesthetically pleasing to us as internet memes and K-pop would be to someone from the 1600s.

I was going to say that The Fifth Element maybe gets the closest to this with Ruby Rhod and the alien opera singer, but it only took like ten years for real world pop stars to start doing Ruby Rhod and alien opera singer stuff, and Bjork was pretty much already both of those things years earlier, so who knows. This might be one of those things that's nearly impossible to predict without accidentally dating your show and therefore should only be alluded to but never directly shown, like the band in Lower Decks.

The sci-fi adventure game Tacoma features minor references to a fictional future K-Pop supergroup called "One Vein" led by "Veiny Johnny" and now it's the only thing I can ever think of on the rare occasion that I see "future" and "K-Pop" in the same sentence

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

J33uk posted:

You know I've been sitting on a Londo 9 inch action figure for about 23 years.

Does it have the proper attributes

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

My mind immediately goes to Jeffrey Combs as Bester, even if Combs only had a single bit part on B5 before, decades of television conditioning will always bring his name to the front the fastest for sci-fi antagonist roles. Whoever played Number One/Bester's second in "Mind War" might also be fun to see again.

Boxleitner as President Clark would be a trip, as would Jurasik as either of the Centauri emperors, but at this point maybe he'd rather just be a human.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

The Shadow/Vorlon conflict seems like the thing that most has to change. That worked because it was never done before, but I don't think a second time with the same thing would be anywhere near as good.

"Ancient aliens fighting wars? That's just Mass Effect," someone will post a few years from now without thinking about it for more than five seconds

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

OnlyBans posted:

I'm a little concerned about modern short seasons. I'm watching at the Long Night of Londo Mollari on my rewatch right now and bottle episodes like that, Inquisitor, the Sheridan interrogation, the plague, etc. were all real highlights along with the more narrative-driven episodes. There isn't as much space for them in a show with fewer hours since there is a lot of ground to cover.

I think this is one area where being on CW gives them an advantage. On Netflix or pretty much any other streamer they might be capped at 8-13 episode seasons with an indeterminate offseason, but on CW I could see them getting anything between 16-22 episode orders, or whatever the standard is these days for networks. I've been a cable-cutter for almost a decade now, I haven't been keeping up with that end of things.

Then I guess the issue becomes how to stretch their budget over that many episodes, but at least that's not a new problem for JMS and Babylon 5, and I doubt a B5 reboot in 202X is going to look and feel any cheaper than, say, Star Trek Enterprise did in 2004 when its budget was slashed prior to cancellation, to say nothing of the Lost Tales DVD episodes.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Penn and Teller got the guest spot because they were popular in the 90s. Same with Scott Adams. I don't think we'll see any of them on this version.

I've been trying to think of who the modern version of Penn and Teller is and keep drawing a blank, maybe because their weird niche is mostly gone now, or maybe because anyone else trying that schtick these days is on YouTube somewhere and my cursed algorithm just hasn't caught up yet

It feels way more likely to me that none of those old cameo characters will return even with different actors. If there are any similar guest spots they should be new, written from scratch for a new set of people

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Just pregame for B5 by watching some Mind's Eye videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WehxxVDzYME

So this is what vaporwave videos have been stealing from for the last ten years

Some of the weirder CG things in early B5 would fit right in, like the Jason Ironheart transformation. Not too far off from some of the Alpha Centauri secret project completion videos either

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Issaries posted:

And it is completely faithful to original series, including using only Amiga video toasters for rendering all the cgi.
It took only 20 years to render it all.

Looking forward to Babylon 5 Beast Wars

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

babylon 5 done in the style of legend of the galactic heroes would be very nice

I just started LotGH recently and had similar thoughts. A ton of the Empire characters in particular feel like prototype Centauri, foppish and decadent and backstabby in similar amounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I think I actually like that design choice a lot. It's got the right feel, like a mix of late 90s anime and American animation styles booted into the 2020s and I can't really think of a better way to do it. Legit a little surprised.

Poor Lennier is pale as hell though