Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ImpAtom posted:

They're rabbits? I thought they were some kind of lizard.

Gen 1, more than any other generation, was really fond of mixing and matching animals. The Nidos look like some kind of cross between a rabbit, rhino, and dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Catalina posted:

That is pure :psyduck:
Burning your games on a charcoal grill, that's one thing. Totally relatable, and I'm sure we've all done it once or twice in our lives. But trading your games in for Gamestop prices? Pure insanity.

It's practically the same thing, really.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Haunter
Gas Pokémon
5'03" / 1.6m

Gengar
Shadow Pokémon
4'11" / 1.5m

I can't answer the why for you, why is anything?

Haunter is basically a cloud while Gengar collapses into a form with real mass, I guess.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Someone’s enjoying his unofficial mascot status.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Mimikyu is never established as a dead thing, it's just some lovecraftian horror that drives you insane when you look at it. Hoopa is kind of like that too, it's not a dead thing it's just from another dimension.

Some ghost types are actually dead people like Phantump and Yamask.

Some are cursed objects like Honedge and Banette.

And some are just vaguely spirtual or...I dunno sneaky I guess like ghost type Oricorio and Decidueye.

The whole situation, like most things in Pokemon, is very confusing and best not thought about too hard.

It's probably best to think of Ghosts that are obviously living, physical creatures as basically mediums. They use spirit-based or shadowy powers they because they come innately to the animal. That or they come from some spiritual other world. Decidueye gets its Ghost type because it is deeply connected with darkness as an owl and archer as well as its basis as a Hawaiian guardian spirit. Alolan Marrowak gets its power because it learned to commune with the bones it carries out of desperation in the more hostile for its original Ground type area of Alola.

If you're wondering how that makes them substantially different than Psychic, I refer you to the whole Ground/Rock split for types with very little differentiation.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 6, 2018

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

That's like half of that Elite Four idiot's team, just Pokemon that slightly resemble dragons, my Play Rough move went to WASTE.

When you come back he has a bit more dragons because he also includes Alolan Exeggutor

It's not like Agatha was any better. Why they decided to make two of the Elite Four to specialize in types that only had three members with, at best, one actual move.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Why are some Pokémon “normal”?

“Normal” has always translated as “doesn’t fit anywhere else” to me.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

Genwunners might not buy the game because MUH NOSTALGIA NINETIES. GF is just easing new stuff in.

That and it's the only way you're getting Dark types.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Ash rules. Just a ton of sustained character growth of you watch the whole series. I love him, great role model for kids. He's brave, good sportsmanship, strong sense of fairness and right and wrong, loyal to friends. I am very happy to watch his adventures with my five year old. Very positive model of like an ideal child.

My five year old was a loving mess when Litten's Stoutland friend died though. Holy poo poo that episode hit hard.

He still should have been replaced a decade ago. As of now, he’s the most generic of 90s era anime protagonists.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Latios/Latis codes:

A86ZJUM6e6XGL8W6

A86ZJW28HYCJWQHZ

Zekrom/Reshiram

A869L6e6PRH5F5l7

A969L6G8F22C6JAE

A869L6G8xTZ544RA

I got the first Lati code, thanks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I got stuck in my first play through of Blue for ten minutes because I couldn’t tell that the little mat was the door of my house. I then failed to catch a single thing because I ended up grinding my Charmander until it evolved before I got the tutorial on how to catch Pokémon. On the next play through, I failed right at the league because I didn’t know how to swap out Pokémon and just ran out of PP for my Blastoise.

I was a very slow learner with the series as a little kid. My utter incompetence as a child is what made me tolerate the over abundance of tutorials in later games.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I’m still not sure why they decided to make a Pokémon whose entire gimmick is evolution a mascot in its first stage like Pikachu.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Well unlike Pikachu they're actually trying to include the evolutions also

They have been pushing Alolan Raichu pretty hard, but only after two decades of trying to pretend the original version doesn’t exist.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Golden Gael posted:

Not gonna press if this is out of bounds, but is there some way to still get Platinum online without an Action Replay, specifically to try and collect old WonderCards like the Rotom form changes?

Nope. The servers are long gone.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Uh wait the anime had TWO Mewtwos? That's hosed up

It was right before XY came out and they wanted to advertise Mega Mewtwo. Apparently, Team Plasma mysteriously created an exact duplicate of Mewtwo despite having no connections to the original project. It had a feminine voice, could mega evolve on its own, and fought off a team of five Gensect that they also made for no real reason. The movies long ago stopped bothering to come up with a logical reason for anything showing up and just put in whatever new Pokémon Gamefreak wants to advertise today.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I played Pokémon Blue and then Gold when I was younger and the Pokémon craze was at its full height. Out of nostalgia I decided to pick up Blue and Crystal on the 3DS VC and played them.

I think Blue holds up really well. My main gripes being the limited bag space and box system letting Pokémon get away because you don't know if one's full or not. The core battle mechanics are really solid and I guess that's why these games are still juggernauts today. The only thing different is that it's black and white on the 3DS and I remember there being some color on the Game Boy Color.

I recall Gold being better than Blue and playing through Crystal that wasn't just rose-colored glasses I was wearing. The backpack with it's different pockets (TMs are in order now!) is a huge step up in inventory management. Bill calling you to let you know a storage box is full is a great qol improvement. As is being able to ride through the area checkpoints on your bicycle. The holdable items is a nice addition to the battle system. The day/night cycle is cool. Oh and everything is in color and Pokémon do a little move when battles start. Which I don't think was in Gold.

TL:DR Pokémon is as fun as I remember it being when I was nine. I should play the new games sometime.

The new games are a lot more complicated than the originals, but it’s pretty much agreed on that they’re leagues ahead of the infamously broken OG Red and Blue. Even with the added complexity, there a many more resources to gain information from and the core gameplay is still simple enough that you don’t need any outside source to be good with it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

James Turner gave us Golurk, the best Pokemon in the game. He should forever be praised.

It needs a mega evolution that gives it wings, cannons, and rocket fists. Instead of the usual animation, it combines with the ancient expansion pack hidden away for the day it gained the Spiral Power to handle it. Just like a proper super-robot.

That is if Gamefreak decides to get back to making Megas instead of abandoning it and Z-moves for shinier gimmick.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

less laughter posted:

Poison should be SE against Water

Water needs to be taken down a peg, so sure.

If we’re on the topic, Electric should be weak to Grass and Fairy weak to Normal because fairies are usually fragile and the type is still too good. Ice should also resist Normal because if it’s rigid enough to be weak to Figthing, it should at least get a benefit. It could also resist Water.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Zekrom/Reshiram codes must be redeemed by Jan 28 (pretty certain that means 12:01 EST on 28th the code is no longer valid) for Gen 7 3DS games:

A869X7L4CFUSW7QY

A869X7QPWGT7QCUS

A869X7T4KG7RL25M

A869X7WLLEW23MHL

A869X7Z8TYHKFWQT

A869X7ZFFYDYAWQP

A869X82Y2UA8M9QL

A869X83AALT8PJA8

A86937DJAZ5UQKY4

A86937EQLSUGL4Q9

A86937N56GCLZQ77

A86937TGZ2E6UMH9

A869382328H8KW7C

I got the first Reshiram code, thanks.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Why the hell does Fearow look better than everything else here

Because they were willing to make it stylized while everything else is essentially just pictures of the Pokemon itself sprinkled in.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I feel like nothing should ever be weak to normal. That's the type's whole thing. If something was ever weak to normal literally every pokemon ever would suddenly have free super effective coverage against that type.

I can understand that, but I think it would really add to the feel that these Fairy types are fragile, unique creatures that usually stay hidden for good reason. It’d actually give you a reason to use Normal moves after the early game. If that is too extreme, then just let Normal types resist Fairy for the same reason they’re immune to Ghost: because they’re too “normal” to be impacted by the supernatural.

I still think that Grass should be immune to them. Mostly for thematic reasons (fairies would never harm nature), but also just because Grass could really, really use some buffs since it’s a starter type and Fairy could stand to be taken down a peg.

I am adamant that Grass should resist Rock and be strong against Electic, but that’s mostly because I want to improve a lot of the weaker types and limit some of the stronger ones. The type chart needs some serious overhaul for the sake of balance while remaing thematically appropriate.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Why is Flygon a ground type. Its pre-evos I understand but isn’t the thing basically a giant dragonfly

I’m cool with it’s current type, but have always wondered why it isn’t Bug since its entire line are insects. You’d think it’d go something like Bug/Ground Trapinch and Vibrava then become Bug/Dragon as Flygon.

I guess it keeps the Ground type because it’s associated with the desert and all, but it would probably be more fitting to have the unique combo of Bug/Dragon and swap its ability with something that makes it immune to sandstorms. As it is now, Garchomp totally overshadows it in both of its types statistically and behaviorally.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ground = Earth stuff attached to the ground.

Rock = earth stuff you can throw.

That's why flying types are immune to ground attacks, but you can hit them super hard with rocks.

Still seems kind of redundant. A single Earth type would really be much simpler since the two are still really similar. Puls it would avoid the question as why why a thrown bone does nothing to a bird, but a stone of equal mass sends it crashing down, but talking about why immunities make no sense with certain moves would keep us here all day.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Golden Gael posted:

Dark/Ghost, Rock/Ground, and Grass/Bug are so functionally similar it really does make you wonder, but part of it is simply flavor.

Dark is usually physical, dirty fighting while Ghost has almost all the shadowy "energy" attacks, so they're different enough. It does see some overlap, though with moves like Night Daze.

I'm not so sure about Grass and Bug, but that's more because Bug has always been kind of a weird thing to make an entire type around. What makes something "Bug" elemental? At that point, why not toss in Reptile or Mammal as elements? That's not even getting into all the insectoid Pokemon that aren't given the type, but then we'd have to work with all the Grass types that aren't plants at all and that would spiral into endless arguing.

That said, I could still see all these pairs be combined into a Shadow, Earth, and Nature type, respectively.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 30, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

AFAIK for most of development there was no Dragon type, only Bird and Flying. Then they decided to make a custom dragon type for the Dratini line. They dumped Bird and combined it with Flying, which up til that point had been for dragon-likes instead of natural birds.

All the poo poo that should be dragons, like Aerodactyl and Gyarados, got left as Flying for some reason even though that type no longer denoted a dragon status.

That would explain a lot, honestly. Especially Lance being the Dragon-and-Things-That-Look-Like-Dragons-If-You-Squint.

Like the Rock/Ground, Bug/Grass, and even Psychic/Ghost divides, you’d think that Gamefreak would have learned to make things easier on themselves and just consolidate similar themes into one single type. No need for Bird and Flying when you could just make a Wind type and be done with it. At least on that last one, they actually caught it during development rather than taking over a decades to make the two distinct.

galagazombie posted:

That probably explains why Pidgey, Spearow and the like aren't just pure flying type. They would have originally been bird type but had to get put into flying, but they got normal stuck on them to keep them separate from the old flying but dragon types. It still bugs me they never made them pure flying. The normal typing only makes sense if there are pure flying types around that they seem more "normal" to in comparison. Hell the normal type in general seems almost obsolete. In Gen 1 it served as this baseline where most moves were normal and Typed stuff was the exception, but now the move pool has expanded so much it seems more like a way to penalize moves by giving them a typing that can never be super-effective. The only reason to even really have it around anymore it that there's really no way to describe say Herdier as anything but "a dog". Perhaps they should rename it to "typeless" or "N/A" or something.

Agreed. Normal worked better as the “doesn’t fit anywhere else” type, which is why you got plain old animals lumped in with pixies, a living program, and basically anything that happens to be pink. Then Fairy came along to take most of the weirder ones under its wing, leaving a type that is much easier to define. Now Normal actually does refer mostly to generic animals and basic moves that don’t have much defined forms (the handful of lasers and multi-element attacks notwithstanding).

There’s really no reason why there can’t be more pure Flying types given how readily everything else can have common mono-type representatives. It’s not like Pikachu is made of electricity, but it doesn’t have to lug around a Normal typing.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 4, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dehry posted:

Some code cards might still be good, but LGPE have replaced it as the current game.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1093193219154894849

GAH!! Kill it! Kill it fast!!

You’d be doing it a favor. It looks like it’s already had it’s soul devoured.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

dungeon cousin posted:

I wonder how they chose these 14 to be Poke-Valentine's. Are they the most popular male and female NPCs for each generation in Japan? Lillie is a sweetie but my choice for Gen VII girl would definitely be Olivia.

Yeah, but Lillie is pretty much the love interest for the Gen VII character in-story, so you can see why she got in. What I want to know is how Erika, by far the least memorable of the original Gym Leaders, got more popular than any other Gen I woman.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Pretty sure that Erika and Sabrina are the most popular Gen 1 girls in JP, since Erika is the quintessential yamato nadeshiko type and Sabrina is a cool ESPer.

Yeah, but to overwhelm Misty in popularity? I realize she’s been gone for a very long time, but even then you’d think she’d still have more relevance than a trainer who has never once done anything relavant in the fiction.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Gen 5 had the best rivals in Bianca, Cheren and N--all in one game!

Gym leaders who (all but the first town's) all contribute to the overall plot

An evil team that actually feels threatening

Best champion(s) (Alder+Iris, hell yea)

100% new designs (at least for BW1)

It felt the least lazy to me, especially in comparison to Gen 6's Mega Evolutions which are largely "what if X pokémon but spikes or dongles" and loser squad rivals/evil team. It's not perfect by any means, but I love the overall designs of the monsters/trainers/Unova the most. Also, triple/rotation battles were fun!

The only things that really bugged me in Gen V were the terrible available pokemon in the starting areas, the lackluster starters, and the endless hordes of drat dirty elemental apes. Other than that, it is kind of my favorite generation. If it could be updated and possibly have its policy towards older Pokémon relaxed, I’d be on it in a heartbeat.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Wait I thought it was supposed to be a Kangaroo? Or is this an anime thing?

Nope. The Pokedex says that their arms are rubbery and can stretch at will. They kind of have to: it's pretty hard to punch with arms that are normally about four inches long.

oddium posted:

his furs on a is obviously ash-greninja

You got it reversed. Ash-Greninja is a ninja frog trying to look like an immortal ten-year-old.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zuzie posted:

I'd like it if the Gen 8 games did away with Pokemarts and you needed to scavenge/cultivate your healing items, which consists of mostly berries. It might also re-purpose some of the berries in the game that still don't have a use outside of making Pokeblocks/Poffins.

I feel like you could just cut out the middle man of beans and pastries and just give your pokemon some of those useless berries as the treats in Refresh.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What if Gen 8 is caveman Pokemon where we gotta carve our own pokeballs out of Apricorns (in a touchscreen minigame) and we're fighting Neanderthals with their own Pokemon for survival? Which requires us to scavenge for berries/healing items

I wouldn’t mind some distant prequel games. You could go back to right as the Pokémon League system is being established and have to work with a system used prior to the things we take for granted in the series. Of course, for gameplay’s sake, the replacements would be mostly functionally identical.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YggiDee posted:

All I want is an auto-sort for the PC boxes

This, but also for Poké-Bank. Let me at least sort by type so I don’t have to scour my boxes for a quick swap.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Are there any antagonists as goofy and ineffectual as team skull in the the other gens? These dudes are funny as gently caress, always rapping at me and then pissing themselves when my starter mon KOs there poo poo. Team Skull for life.

Most of Team Galactic were complete morons who were deliberately kept in the dark about their boss’ plans, but the team itself was a threat because of the higher ups. So some came close, but Team Skull was designed in-story to be ineffectual and goofy so that the Aether Foundation could have a distraction from their real activities.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

if the monkey is music and the rabbit is sports what entertainment will the water thing be themed after

Visual arts?

Either way, I want to try the rabbit and monkey so bad.

I’m glad that they took one of my big complaints about Alola and fixed it by making a larger, more diverse area to play in. Tropical islands get old after a while.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CubeTheory posted:

How the heck did they miss making the rabbit grass type and naming it Scorburrow

Good question. I guess they were married to those three animals and we've already had a Fire monkey and lizard as starters so. :shrug:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I haven't seen the trailer yet, but i'm hype as gently caress. I just need to finish UM now and get all my Mon's from all my 3DS games ironed out and uploaded to the Pokmebank. Did they say that officially yet? That Switch will support the bank and we can migrate our favorite mons? This'll be the game that makes me get a Switch.

They haven't said anything yet, but I'm pretty sure that they'll at least try. Unless the game is so massively different that it's just impossible. Either way, don't assume that your thousands of buddies in storage are safe until said so.

Anyway, what are the chances that Scorbunny doesn't become Fighting in the future? It's got the bandage on its nose and a scrappy personality, so we all know how that tends to go in anime.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

too bad about incineroar

He decided playing Tiger Mask was more beneficial than cuteness. So far, it paid off enough to get him into Smash and more attention than his rival starters combined in the anime. Rowlet got all the merchandising deals, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

That's not balanced at all! Fairy beats both of the other two!

IIRC the only other set of three types with the exact same matchups among themselves as the existing starter trio is fire - rock - steel

Except neither Rock or Steel resist themselves and both resist Normal, which would make fighting either one with the basic moves a nightmare in early game while also having a huge advantage over Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

living through greninja once was bad enough

We all know that Gamefreak has never been shy about repeating themselves and hoping that lighting strikes twice. Look at the Pika-Clones and Zoroark.