Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Lol at people totally fine with 30fps. Good future example for companies- no more need to optimize games because people will be fine with poo poo locks! That and you probably didn't put some money into a good enough computer to expect good performance.

Same stuff with preorder exclusives, in game microtransactions - same group of people who don't really care if their game is filled with crap and make fun of others for wanting a quality product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

CJacobs posted:

I would rather they shoot for a stable 30 that they know they can hit than a variable 60 that fluctuates like a rollercoaster. That's my logic, take it or leave it. :shrug:

edit: Also, it does not cost you any extra money to play a game at 30fps, that is a pretty fallacious arguing point my man

This isn't the console market though... people have different setups that range from not being able to run the game to being to run it 60+. Why lock out a good portion of consumers? Like literally every other game on the PC doesn't have this lock and leaves it up to you to set the settings or upgrade your computer to the power you prefer.

The point that I made is that if people are fine with stuff like this, it will continue to perpetuate. Why spend development budget on PC optimization when people will be fine with 30FPS? Why spend money on developing extra content when you can create microtransaction to make the $$?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Nobody is locked out of playing a videogame by it being targeted at 30 fps. You're only locked out if you choose to have a moral standing against it. It's a self-imposed barrier. I agree that it is better to leave it in the hands of the end-user to tweak their own settings but the only people it's locking out are snooty dudes who turn up their nose at "console plebs".

edit: the problem with allowing people to take 100% advantage of their hardware is exactly what you said. Everybody's computer is different, and if you try to make it so everybody can play your game by totally unrestricting it, it's gonna be a madhouse. Limits like this are a way for the developers to make sure that everyone can play it without throwing caution to the wind.

I don't know, PC Game developers have managed to have unlocked FPS games for 20+ years without the market crashing and just now we need to start adding restrictions? Lack of logic bro.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

What I mean is that if they lifted all the restrictions they put, then sure, people could play it at 60 fps and it'd wiggle back and forth between 60 and 30 and they'd complain about that instead. No matter what they do, they cannot win with how their game is or isn't poorly optimized, so what's the point of condemning them for making the safe and obvious choice??

I don't understand this reasoning considering like all PC games are like that. Your PC sucks? It will oscillate between 20-40. Turn down the settings. Your PC is great? 60+ FPS (if optimized well.)

The only time they get poo poo is if it's badly optimized and you have a beastmode computer and it runs at 30, but capping it at 30 doesn't really fix that but makes it glaringly obvious there isn't optimization to let it run 30+ on configs.

Point being is they will get poo poo if they badly optimize it whether or not they lock the FPS, so they should just unlock it because that's what everyone else does. (if I was them I'd let it run unlocked and hope that theres enough bizarro configs out there that run it great and peeps can be like "Hey dudes my setup runs great")

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

Is the game good?

Imagine the 30FPS line stamping on a human face forever, that's how good it is.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo and Tomb Raider (all '96 PC releases) were, at the time, held to a 60fps standard?

("Decade" is 10 years, so "decades" is a minimum 20 years back.)

I have never before seen people fight so hard for regression in technology and development. It is true, Idiocracy has arrived.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

From the dev's reaction, it sounds like the fps lock was unintended so I don't see the point in arguing about how it's leading to the downfall of gaming as a whoke

PR evasion while they figure out how to fix the shitstorm.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

A game engine internally developed at 2k is not the same as DOOM. It's likely they hit a time crunch and, like CJacobs said, had to choose between shipping something that dropped frames excessively, or ran stable at 30fps locked in. The dev's have ack'd the public response to this and said a fix is on the way. There is nothing to complain about jesus christ.

Lol.

Anyways, I can't really remember the last time I played a game under 60FPS. PC privilege I guess :(

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

wjs5 posted:

Ahh the slippery slope argument awesome.

It would be funny if it wasn't true: see the influx of microtransactions and DLC's the past few years. Not hard to prove.

Oh and preorders.

Oh and early access.

Why is it hard to extend that to: "hey gamers don't really care about FPS, so why spend resources to have 60+"?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

wjs5 posted:

Huh I could have sworn DOOM came out not to long ago and didnt have any real issue and is amazing.

Of course it did well, and then you have the disasters of preorders and early access that did not do well. Your point?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

That's a very interesting take on my comment. Not really based on reality, unfortunately, but interesting nonetheless.

So, you're saying that the default standard for gaming decades ago was not, in fact 60fps? (Please note that I'm not saying, as Kontradz above seems to have assumed, that 30fps is fine and dandy and we should all devolve back it immediately :toot:.)

Actually, my systems back at that time were either Amiga or hand-me-down 586 v/Voodoo 1, so I wasn't paying attention to ULTIMATE MAX FPS discussions, but then again, I wasn't seeing a lot of column space or electrons being devoted to the issue either. <shrug>

Guess I'll be looking around at the reviews/actual non-sponsored play videos/goon reports/maybe getting some hands-on at an upcoming LAN party, because I could use some 1960s iron to horse around N'awlins streets and assholes to murder. :getin:

Oh man we got an old-timer - sorry for misunderstanding you sensei.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Great Joe posted:

GIFs don't go faster than 50 FPS, dingus.

I'm sorry your browser sucks.(Chrome master race)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Great Joe posted:

The least frame delay supported by Chrome is 0.02 seconds. 50FPS.

Now, here's a comparison that works. 60 on the left half, 30 on the right half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StaSYlxp9v0

I'm switching back to Netscape.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

man what the heck happened to this thread...

30FPS happened.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Bought it against my better judgement and hard crashed 3 times before I could even get through the tutorial opening, one so bad I had to restart my comp. Welp this is why Steam has refunds I guess :shrug:

Hey man, crashes are just part of PC gaming - why do you expect the devs to have a game that runs without crashes on every spec? It's impossible. 2K tried their best :(

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

incorporeal posted:

Ah yes. Adults crying about a game they don't have to buy are the rational people. Sure.

Lol I don't get it, they hosed up the launch of a PC game and we're criticizing them. People like you come in and defend the company, like what? Are you working for 2K? Are you a game dev offended people are criticizing them? I don't really care if this game flops or not, but I have a right to criticize the poo poo out of it left and right as I see fit. (and you have a right to cry because of me)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

incorporeal posted:

When did I defend 2k?

"Adults crying about a game they don't have to buy are the rational people. Sure."

You're implying people who are criticizing the game are adults who are just crying about it. Not because the game has flaws, but just because we're crybabies. Instead, we should just not buy the game. I get that, I support that - but I'm not crying, I'm just pointing out how dumb this release is.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

incorporeal posted:

Well. Yeah. I can see that as defending 2k. But I'm not. I just don't think video games are worth being so upset about. Not worth any of this.

I wouldn't consider shitposting on an entertainment forum as "being so upset." At least I'm not.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

If anything this thread's convinced me to reinstall Mafia 1, that poo poo doesn't get old.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

littleorv posted:

Well Mafia III has been out for a while now so I guess I'll come check out the thread for some opinions on the game and decide whether I'll buy it in the morning

Oh FPS chat, great.

Wait, what is this?!

:yikes:

Mafia 3 unlocks in like an hour for me, I thought this thing had a global release time? You guys all pirating or something?

(Maybe that's why you guys don't give a poo poo about quality, who cares when it's free LOL)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Out for a while? Did a bunch of people get early access to the game somehow? It shows as being unlocked in an hour for me.

High five

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Davoren posted:

I paid $32 for this game, if you didn't shop around for the best deal that's on you.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Mouse works fine for me, just tested

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

John Romero posted:

get a grown up job

Working at gamestop doesn't count as a real job homie.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Oh, that's the game we're playing! OK, my turn:

"gently caress off sonny, adults are talking here."

Now that I'm back at work, I can't access those sites, but I did look at the sega-16 one - one thing I noticed about that list was that there were a hell of a lot of "can do 60fps at one point, otherwise not"-type entries. And I've never been a console player, but I'm suspecting it's not a list of mostly FPS games, so they're not the genre in question and can thus be discounted.

All I did was pick three big-name "should be up to the 60fps standard of 1996" PC games from this listing that I recognized as needing more graphical oomph than Zork: Nemesis, for instance. (Also ones I've either played or seen played - I've no idea how hard SimCopter would have pushed the video card's capabilities, for example.)

"The standard on PC gaming clearly isn't 60 fps." Really? Let me refresh your memory here:

The *ability* to hit 60fps does not make it the *standard*, especially 20 years ago.

I started this line of commentary because I thought you might br frothing a bit, especially given the "standard for decades" bit. (Over-the-top frothing goes to Kontradaz, though. :golfclap:) But, maybe I missed the FPS Holy Wars of the early-to-mid-'90s, maybe I'd learn something new... or maybe not. Please keep defending your hill against the drat dirty low-FPS-havers, however, you're doing a fine job! :thumbsup:

Sounds like control issue will be the killer for me anyway, if the early comments are any indication. Maybe I should go ahead and try Mafia 2, sounds like the cops will chase you for traffic infractions other than hitting cop cars or pedestrians? Always thought that kind of thing should be modelled, actually.

Edit - ahahahah, I looked at the Giantbomb link quoted above - an unsourced, undated wiki (?) entry that pretty much says "welp, 60fps is the standard" and that's about it.

Nice meltdown.

Anyways, game seems good to me other than the 30fps crapoli. I don't have any control issues, the combat and controls are pretty tight and functional for me.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 7, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

AEMINAL posted:

tight?! how, trying to headshot people from cover is a joke, the ingame pointer chops around and does not follow the precise nature of a high DPI mouse at all. it's awful. it would be better at 60 fps+ but right now it's a joke

Idk, maybe I don't play enough shooters to be affected but I can headshot alright from cover. Using a wireless G602 mouse and a wireless couch keyboard, so odds should be stacked against me.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Maybe I'm low brow as gently caress, but the story has got me captivated. And the music... the music! Fantastic (that scene with Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" was sublime)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

After playing for a bit, I think the game would have been much better if all that filler missions between actual "story" missions were cut off. But then it might be ridiculously short...

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Lol, you literally complete missions to let you have access to confront a dude, and the guy is literally in the same place you just came from but with enemies refreshed. Suuch a waste of time.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

New PC patch: game runs flawlessly. Except now I get confused cuz they switched the enter car button from F to E.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

My biggest complaint about this game is that Clay won't stop wearing that drat ratty military jacket. It's hideous. Get some fashion sense Lincoln.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Davoren posted:

Not sure why people are ragging on this for being repetitive, its no more repetitive than any other open world game. The gunplay and story are excellent, and I've been fortunate enough to avoid the technical problems some people are having. Extremely pleased with this game so far.

I wouldn't have as big of an issue with it other than when you are taking over a district you have to literally repeat the same place at least two times for every district. GTA 5 wasn't like this, I don't remember Saints Row being like this, Just Cause series is pretty close but the whole point of that game is blowing poo poo up. I like this game, but I feel like it's become an MMO right now with brief pauses of cool story and then back to the grind.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Ahh, of course I wanted to repeat the huge bathhouse. And of course I wanted to repeat the crane mission. And the distillery. And the boatyard. I swear this is the first single-player game with such a level of repetition. Still fun but daaaamn.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Ahh, good Deus Ex reference devs ;)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

The repetition may suck, but drat the big mission setpieces make up for it (big hotel mission... drat good)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Do later rackets take longer? People complain about too much repetition but for these early racket missions I'm only having to do one side mission before it tells me I've done enough damage.

I would say yes. I've ran into things where I've done all the racket missions but then have to troll around the district looking for 1 of 2 randomly generated scenarios (i.e dudes on street selling weed or dudes in cars I gotta follow) to make up the last few $

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why is there a poltergeist following Lincoln around cutscenes constantly popping his collar?

In the boxing fight the referee was blocking me from getting out of the corner.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

lol if u think $30 or $60 is enough money to get upset about lmao get an adult job kid

When you say poo poo like this there should be a rule to put your salary and job lol.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Man either I suck at these types of games now or this game is harder than usual. Playing on medium and if I got a retaliation squad out on me it's hellish to fight them off, and enemy accuracy is better than I've seen in a game in a long time (i.e sprinting in other games means you don't really get hit much but you will get put down in this game if not in cover.) I like it this way though, the game hasn't really gotten easier as I've played and I'm still sticking to cover / running out of ammo / melee fighting and all that even in late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

In your case it sounds like you should just stop playing? And hopefully posting.

You clearly can't handle criticism of a game you play lol.

Getting close to the end here, it seems like the latter quarter or so feels less repetitive - at least the cool story missions are closer together it feels like.

• Locked thread