Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cat Mattress posted:

It's actually a good question since the gamer demographics are much more balanced across genders than the stereotypes say. You'd think there would be a lot of sexy dude overhauls for the horny straight women out there.

I can't explain it either but I think part of it is the availability of mods to base your work on. Most follower mods have a foundation of a lot of other mods and if the selection isn't very wide, it's pretty tough to make something worth releasing.

I'm not an expert on followers in Skyrim by any means so this might be totally wrong though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

KakerMix posted:

I'm the difference in polygon count between her cleavage and her pillow

gotta economize on polygons somewhere!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

HoboTech posted:

Yeah there's whole sections of the Nordic list you can just cruise right on by and be better off for it.

it's true, I tend to start by skipping all of it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

timn posted:

From the comments, apparently the main SKSE source is supposed to be closed even though it's made freely available for troubleshooting (how does that work?).

allowing people to see your source doesn't mean you also have to allow free and open licensing rights. It's like Microsoft putting proprietary code up on github; it's still theirs even if you can see it.

that is, just because it's available to view publicly doesn't automatically make it open-source; that's two different things.

however will this result in any legal action haha no

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 27, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dyndolod, yeah. I don't know the tuco guide well enough to say if that's it specifically but "distant meshes look weird" is a strong contender for needing to rebuild LOD billboards

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

docbeard posted:

There really aren't modpacks. The reasons why are, well, contentious, but it basically comes down to no one wanting to do the hard work of maintaining such a thing for the reward of being screamed at by lunatic modders and lunatic users alike.

apparently one of the features the nexus people are putting into Vortex is essentially a dial-a-modpack setup where (presumably) you download an index file and it goes and pulls each mod from nexus for you and sorts them out in the right order.

this might actually work - you'll be able to get updated versions when released, mod authors get their individual download numbers for stats/epeen/whatever and I'm sure at least five of the crankiest jerkoffs have already written long posts about how it's horrible and yet the nexus is doing it anyway, so it might even happen.

e: that said if it's "export your specific load order into a mod pack" expect about ten times as many low-rent mod pack uploads as there are followers and presets as we have now, I'm gonna have to figure out how to block that entire category from search ...

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 9, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Raygereio posted:

So apparently the Nexus is looking at mod packs. They send out a survey to modders asking for feedback.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeaNnHaZ0QJCKiUPvVLvw4RgmyecmGmOwOOylTubazsiMbT2w/formResponse

I made sure to take this and say I was 100% on board with mod packs and I'm looking forward to them. it's both true and will annoy angry grogs like Arthmoor, who is losing his poo poo over it (and Vortex, and everything else)

i don't see any problem with, essentially, automating a bunch of clicking download links. It sounds like an actually good compromise: Authors get their download numbers and endorsements, modpacks are the new low-effort upload spam instead of Racemenu presets, and following the STEP guide gets a whole shitload easier.

the sticking points (I think) are anything requiring merged patches and hopefully there will be some notification to mod authors which of their mods are included in mod packs - but hopefully no way to opt out of being added to modpacks because that's just going to ruin the entire concept from day one. like let's pretend I have a mod you add to your "Worst Mods Ever" modpack, I should get a little notice saying hey, your mod is in Raygereio's Worst Mods Ever modpack! and that's it.

bonus points if the download statistics indicate whether the download was direct, or via modpack (and which) so authors can know which modpacks they might want to care about.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 18, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Raygereio posted:

It was a really dumb idea from the Nexus to call it "mod packs".

They know. The survey asks what you think a mod pack means, what connotation that has for you, describes what this download thing is and asks what you would call it instead.

It puts “mod pack” in quotes every time to drive home it’s the placeholder term.

That said I think it’s not as bad as you. If a mod pack is a one stop “download - install - play game” type of thing, so is this. The only difference is a behind the scenes download of 45 files instead of a giant 7zip or whatever but the net result of both is a mod order.

It’s also relevant that TES modding isn’t the extent of their goals. I doubt stardew valley mods have the same arcane bullshit requirements TES does, for example

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

lmao

that excuse is the least believable lie i've read all morning. Yes, of course the reason people like wabbajack is automated installs as opposed to a different file extension. congratulations on coming to this stunning insight, usleep guy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

So, it looks like when you set up a body every single man or every single woman is going to have that body. Is there any way to like, load in different body shapes for different races?

Yes it's possible but you need a mod which targets different mesh paths for each race. I know these exist, but making your own probably isn't that hard either. Then you just build the appropriate body_0 and body_1 nifs with Bodyslide and put them where the mod expects them to be and there you go.

the real problem is clothing; that's all going to use the default vanilla shape without a lot more work (imagine the above process for all clothes in the game)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Pages lets you take a repository and do all the work of serving it as a website. I would not suggest gh-pages as the first introduction to github to a brand new user. Within the realm of github products, gist is probably good enough - just take the existing post and convert to markdown syntax, copy and paste into a gist, and save.

I question whether any github product is the right fit but I'm just providing an option here

e: both of them support revision without changing the public URL of whatever your end result is, though

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 21, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Gadfly posted:

Deviating from a mod list is heavily discouraged by anyone trying to support people in using said mod list. Saying something like, "You deviated from the mod list. We're not going to help you," is basically like saying gtfo. These are just facts, not me being disingenuous :shrug:

think about this though - now you're deciding on someone else's behalf "it's not an insane amount of work" for a modlist creator to understand and be able to discuss custom editing of their list to the extent they can find a video (which may not exist) to provide foolproof instructions for editing literally anything on their list exactly to someone else's personal taste.

you're putting a very uncharitable spin on a mod list creator choosing not to be the font of all wisdom on everything even tangentially related to their list, that's not really 'just facts' so much as it is 'your interpretation' so....you're being kinda disingenuous.

in a perfect world would people understand all this and take personal responsibility if they choose to go off list? yeah but we don't live in that one.

e: put shortly, mod list authors should be responsible for their lists, so if something's broken it's on them, but if you want to go off list, you should be responsible for that. would it be nice if people cooperated without blame? Yes! Is it plausible? lmao not in the TES fandom

Midnight Voyager posted:

Speaking of mod lists.

so it's already in like 5 collections right?

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 17, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

The part of the OP about "modpacks? never" is looking silly enough that I'd like to update it. Anyone want to do a post about Wabbajack that I can add?

"modpacks? they're more likely than you think"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wiltsghost posted:

if you don't want too much added

Still has 600 mods

these two things are in no way compatible

I took a quick look at the docs though and it's got a whole lot of texture packs which bump up the count and it's not 600 dumb gameplay tweaks but also 600 mods is still 600 mods :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 17, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

For what it's worth a lot of SE mods get backported to LE; I imagine AE backported to SE backported to LE will be a lot less common because that's way too many ports, but AE/SE versions are quite likely if the pattern holds. And if you get SE versions, porting to VR shouldn't be bad?

I also think this is too many versions of Skyrim, but that ship has long sailed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I always forget I have access to that forum and can go read it. I should go peruse the last few months for any hilarity, I'm sure it won't be hard to find.

e: lmao it wasn't hard to find at all

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

celestial teapot posted:

Not ideal since download stats aren't unique (I think?) but I'm working on that

nexus tracks both, so you should be able to get it somewhere. I looked in the network response loading the page and there's a huge CSV file somewhere in there which has a bunch of rows like this:
code:
that matches up with mod ID, total DL, unique DL, total views (it's Inigo, for reference - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40960)

mod ID: 40960
total DLs: 1,226,833
Unique DLs: 505,226
Total Views: 5,085,839