Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So, after roughly a generation of WWE women being an afterthought, aside from 2-3 years of Lita and Trish getting good enough to have OK matches... Triple H in roughly 2014 or so goes "OK ladies, do pretty much whatever the gently caress you want. Also we don't care about look anymore much."

That has now developed into the women being in strong competition for best match on show on every PPV.

More than WWE starting its own version of ROH, I find this amazing.

Meltzer talks like he writes and after 10 loving minutes I only vaguely have an idea of what he was trying to say.

The short story I think is that once Vince completely ages out and his cronies lose power, this sort of wrestling will probably move up to the main roster instead of this weird Twilight Zone booking where the two-hour NXT PPV is orders of magnitude better than the Actual Show.

That being said, I think almost the entire roster is wrestling too hard at this point and we're going to end up with another rash of Dr. Youngblood's Magical Spinal Fusion Surgeries That No Really, Fixed Everything from the 2000-2002 period. This is exemplified to me in AJ deciding that he needed to take an avalanche AA for a non-title match on the middle of a card. That's OK I suppose if they intend him to never work with Cena again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spermgod posted:

I think they still care about look a lot. Also even since the NXT women started getting called up, vanishingly few women's matches have been in competition for MOTN on main roster PPVs.

They originally had issues with Charlotte apparently and Bayley is just ridiculously unlike the people they used to call up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You either die or live long enough to become Vince

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He would be doing fine if not for the near-constant injuries.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

I would rather the Wyatt Family get thrown off a cliff and disappear from TV forever

The hottest act of 2013, it's time to strike while the iron is hot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Triple posting to say: a year ago, 6 months ago, would a Roderick Strong debut have landed with a whisper?

WWE has made a dizzying array of pickups in the last year or two and not everyone is going to be a success story. There's only so many slots to fit into the broadcast.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm just really excited about anything order than the Owens/Rollins War of the Douchebags where nothing makes sense and the points don't matter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

He was very charismatic in the indies. He was great in Kings of Wrestling and the BDK, he was pretty over with his "Eyyyy" chants and very european gimmick. I'm confident he's just been subjected to bad writing his whole stint in WWE.

WWE is a meritocracy in the sense that you have to make the right friends and/or become adamantly opposed to doing lovely angles designed to get someone else/no one over at your expense. So that's probably the part he's missing from his otherwise total package.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

If they do this, I hope she at least develops some chemistry with Mauro and gets to do more natural commentary without scripts. Her stilted, canned banter with Booker and Lawler on the pre-shows is just unbearable.

That whole format is awful and has been from the beginning.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think it's just a really dumb spot that they'll stop doing. Every spot that involves plopping two opponents on top of each other always sucks and doesn't make sense anyhow. Just powerbomb them on the mat, duh.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

Why would WWE want him back when he didn't even make TV the first time around and he's spent the intermediate time as a TNA midcarder with a stupid gimmick?

Like, what the gently caress does it take to get turned down by WWE right now?

My gut feeling is that this will end up like nu-ECW and a lot of the guys will be back in the indies within a year or two.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Phenix Rising posted:

What, for more rehab? How long was he supposed to be out after that gross powerslam injury?

Just the famous tombstone powerslam, that's all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well, the current NXT champion's music is more over than he is. Generally the ringwork remains way better on NXT, and WWE project guys who came up before NXT still feel like yesterday's news in comparison.

The current WWE workrate I am seeing is still 2000-2001 levels of unsustainable to human bodies, so there is bound to be a course correction that fans will whine about.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You are all forgetting the things that actually differentiate TNA:

Bad wrestling
Awful characters
Terrible writing
The years-long sound of a toilet flushing

Of course NXT looks like TNA. TNA has been poor man's WWE for almost its entire run. You can't steal booking tropes that were yours to begin with.

WWE has brought in a lot of guys who should have been wrestling for them like 10 years ago. It's not terribly surprising or inexplicable that these heavily-established good wrestlers consistently go over the Mojo Rawley of the week.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

pressedbunny posted:

I still can't get over the juxtaposition of Ember being a ninja from Texas.

Also still don't 'get' Aliyah's cat ears. Is that an anime thing still, or was it a legitimate fashion 12 months ago that WWE's caught up to?

Every woman's gimmick is whatever her fashion sense is. #womensrevolution

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Take a peak at this, dickhead.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▀░░█░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀░░░░░█▄▄░░░░
░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▐░░░
░░░░░░▐▐░░░░░░░░░▄░▐░░░
░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░▄▀▀░▐░░░
░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░▐░▄▄▀░░░░
░░▄▀░░░▐░░░░░█▄▀░▐░░░░░
░░█░░░▐░░░░░░░░▄░█░░░░░
░░░█▄░░▀▄░░░░▄▀▐░█░░░░░
░░░█▐▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀░░▐░█░░░░░
░░▐█▐▄░░▀░░░░░░▐░█▄▄░░░
░░░▀▀░Sonjay░░▐▄▄▄▀░░░░░
░░░░░░Dutt░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

is saying anything dying on a hill, now

If only.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Regal hoping they didn't find his phylactery.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

rovert posted:

The description here: "Born in the woods, raised in the mud. #SarahBridges is in action tonight! #NXTFtPierce" https://www.instagram.com/p/BSmkkMrhEbz

And her ring gear:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So back the gently caress up while we gently caress this heel up

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trunks are not a good look on a guy who simply looks out of ring shape, like he's nearing the end of his in-ring career. And he's 37, so probably so.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

Where do they even find these scrawny geeks for jobber squashes (who still have some muscle tone so you can tell they work out)? Do they just walk into an MMA gym in Orlando, go up to the flyweights training and be like "hey, wanna be on NXT television?"

They probably take them from the inexhaustible local talent armies?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

I don't think you would need permission to post a dailymotion link

Eh, it's a show from three weeks ago.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

I always find it funny when these muscular stiffs show up on NXT and the announcers put them over hard as "former football stars!" Like, if they were actually any good at football, wouldn't they still be playing football, instead of slumming it in a fancy Orlando gym on an obvious career change?

It's more like a single injury can end your professional football career, which I think most people know, and football stars gots to be double-tough. Goldberg, like most humans who make the attempt, sustained an injury while playing for the Falcons. He made gadzooks more money in wrestling than he ever would have as an 11th round DT, so...?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

What's silly is that there's like 6 people doing spears and it's not even an issue

"It's time to do a commercial break, so do a superkick"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

Honestly I'm surprised we don't see more guys get hurt on that dumb "flip bump off a clothesline" spot. It seems like every smaller guy is doing it these days and they always look like they're inches away from spiking their heads.

Glad Mandrews is okay but, bro, you can take a normal back bump off a clothesline! We won't judge you for just falling down on a throwaway house show.

Why are all these NXT guys getting injured on house shows, anyway? Isn't that supposed to be their easiest matches of the week?

Probably someone will tell them to stop doing retarded bumps for gymnasium crowds soon if they have not already.

• Locked thread