Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

i had one of the asus motherboards from around when this gif was made so i give an extra hearty chortle everytime i see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

here is the uncorrupted version:

in vga text mode, you write the text for the frame, then you send that to the vga hardware and the VGA hardware is just gonna look up the glyph for each text character by the ascii code.

the glyphs that I see substituted (and their ascii codes) are

o->g
0x6F->0x67

n->f
0x6E->0x66

N->F
0x4E->0x46

,->$
0x2C->0x24

i->a
0x69-0x61

so you immediately notice that they're all off by 8, that is, they all are a difference of one bit flipping, the bit in position 3 (because 2^3 is 8).

code:
position: 7 6 5 4 _ 3 2 1 0
bit:      0 0 0 0 _ X 0 0 0
so for example

code:
position: 7 6 5 4 _ 3 2 1 0
bit:      0 0 0 0 _ X 0 0 0
n (0x6E): 0 1 1 0 _ 1 1 1 0 
f (0x66): 0 1 1 0 _ 0 1 1 0
so it's an intermittently stuck wire somewhere, could be that the hardware is overheated and causing the timing to screw up and sometimes not flip that position 3 bit to 1 fast enough before it gets latched, or something like that.

i had always assumed it was an old virus doing it so these posts about it have been pcool

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmqOV4JkRcs

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
gently caress thats delicious is good in general but this intro is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AASA_3Bz_z0

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i had that happen with a cup of coffee one time. landed perfectly on the bottom and just fountained out every last drop, all over me and up to the ceiling

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

yeah thats pretty much exactly what happened

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Okay sorry this is too much folk, not enough metal.

thats cause its not metal at all and more like boston punk

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

shaggar spotted in france

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

yes let me pay just shy of 50 bucks for a tshirt

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

epipen posted:

http://www.zazzle.com/dorites_t_shirt-235426707638910625 it's $27 US
the australian dollar is worth about 72 US cents (+ we always get ripped of)

arent video james priced way high over there too, even with the conversion rate? iirc they're like 120 bucks

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

totally my fav nes game too

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I was asleep for 9/11 because I lived in Alaska at the time and it happened at like 5:30am.

i woke up to people in my house screaming (brother was in NYC that day), turned on the tv to see what was happening and saw the second plane hit the tower

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

graph posted:

remembering challenger (and also new york seltzer) is what separates generation y from millenials

i remember new york seltzer fine but i was only 4 when challenger happened

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

:same:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

im the frumpy hamsocks

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

e: speaing of which, when is the killdozer aniversary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQlQ77VKX8

https://www.flappyplane.net site down wth

the killdozer anniversary was a few months back, there was a thread in GBS about it, which explains why you might have missed it

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

have you see the raid: redemption, and the raid 2

cool, just got home from work and needed something to watch tonight

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he was also the bad guy in heroes who had the midas touch superpower

i liked evil ned ryerson

that show was so goddamned bad and yet somehow kept getting worse each season

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm thinkin about peanut butter and jelly

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

hannah barbera was crap but i thought jonny quest ruled

the only hannah barbera i remember fondly is wacky races

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

hes just saying that cause goldens are the most retarded breed there is. not as in like "whoa who thought of breeding these two dogs togethere" i mean theyre the special ed kids of the dog world

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what world do you live in that boston terriers don't exist

boston terriers are mutant fuckers, goldens are just as retarded but large and still think theyre lap dogs

my first girlfriends parents would train golden retrievers as seeing eye dogs. 3/4 of them would fail basic stuff like not making GBS threads all over the place

epipen posted:

having owned two wonderful, deadly stupid beagles, i dispute this

beagles are at least cute to detract from the stupidity

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i post doggo hate out of wanting one myself, the place i live doesnt allow dags. 20 years i had a pupper and now im missing one

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i would watch a buddy comedy with electroboom guy and photonicinduction

the electroboom guy would end up as a charred pile after coming anywhere near the power photonicinducion uses

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

last ship is a good poo poo show

last ship was like if tom clancy went loving overboard when i first watched it, is it any different now?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

i knew there was more to car boys

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
did MBMBAM start before or after the boys started working at polygon?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuzHsS3yMVo

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

humans are the von neumann machines and we're going to terrorize and devour every sentient and sapient species

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBlPa-9v_M

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

so many videos thatd make rotten blush

yeah stile is why nothing on the internet shocks me anymore. i think i was 14 the first time i saw someone get beheaded, probably also about the same time i saw the ol' goatman

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

You Am I posted:

me on a monday morning

me every day

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

:agreed:

hell we tried to hit each other with them. we also had fights with roman candles

we had fights with them too until we lit on of my friend's hair on fire

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

nice weed number

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

this isn't just your theory, this is literal history. there were a lot of competing reactor designs in the 50s through 70s but the funding was coming from the government, and the government was really interested in reactors that could make parts for bombs.

natural thorium, for instance, can be burned in a reactor of the proper design (solid-state ones that can be built with 1970s technology, btw, not just the molten-salt design that you see bandied around) and there is like 100x as much thorium on earth as there is uranium. but the thorium cycle doesn't lead to weapons-grade uranium or plutonium, so it got a tiny fraction of the research funding, and never turned into anything commercial.

here, have some computer pictures/nuclear energy crossover

i always try to explain thorium reactors to people when there's an energy conversation and i always get shouted down by people afraid of anything nuclear. trying to tell somebody that you can have nuclear energy without it being scary when poo poo goes wrong is basically impossible due to all the problems with the breeder type reactors

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

akadajet posted:

yuengling: it's really mediocre beer and nothing special

its better than bud miller or coors. your basically guaranteed to at least find yuengling on the east coast

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

RISCy Business posted:

new idea: dildo technology company named rodtronics???

idk

someone else make this joke i'm too retarded

ill start makin the molds

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

siege is real good but battlegrounds has completely consumed me

yea pubg is super good. its also the only game ive ever bothered watching on twitch

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

lil turbo clucker here had me laughing way too hard for 2am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

has anyone else noticed that when you read something on a page then go to google it on a new tab chrome autocompletes almost exactly what you're about to google

yeah i get this all the time with youtube. ill be watching one video and then type in a name looking for a video usually of the same genre and it nails it. this isnt in youtubes search, but chomes standard url bar

• Locked thread