Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

I didn't see it posted here but Dolphins owner Stephen Ross had a really good response to his players kneeling for the anthem on Sunday. He went beyond the boilerplate neutral "they can do what they want" and actively supported both the protest and the motivations behind it. Really refreshing

Points if he actively took both of those positions in the same argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
These people are real.

Conservative workplace proximity acquaintance posted:

i have no problem with the seahawks locked arms unity display

these guys doing the black power thing are real jerks

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Somewhere in Kentucky, a blind man who listens to Skip Bayless daily begins to re-evaluate his mental image of the controversial talkshow host, but then he realizes that all people are black as far as he can tell.

What manner of name is Shannon Sharpe? Irish? Cornish?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched Southpark in about a decade.

I liked it in highschool.

This has been a hot take.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Hello fellow millennials, I am here to talk about how none of us watch any tv anymore except for Live sports and whatever Netflix picked up.

:thurman:

My WIFE still watches TV. :shudder: I think I'm gettin' a divorce, ya'll.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

The Bills are the only team in New York and Tyrod is the only black quarterback.

Edit

Look guys, if black people can't even stop shooting black people, how do you expect white cops to act differently? We can't expect cops to act differently from criminals! It would be racist to do so!

That's my favorite myth.

It's not a myth that 90% of murdered blacks are murdered by other blacks... but something like 88% of murdered whites are murdered by other whites. I have no idea why anyone ascribes relevance to that statistic.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

The answer is because they think black people are responsible for the ghetto.

Racism would end if Black people would drop their victim complex, haven't you heard?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Marquis de Pyro posted:

My latest research indicates that the police force of Grand Forks, North Dakota has killed more people in the past year than atomic bombs have in the history of earth

Does your research reveal that the atom bomb drops in WWII were a conspiracy and never actually happened?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Holy sweet loving Christ and all the Order of Powers, Seraphs, and Cherubim...

gently caress this gay earth... gently caress it with fire.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Liberals, football owns. Please don't take it away from me. :ohdear:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

Michael Sam was an inside job

:stare:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

...what year is it?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Dude on his fuckin phone really cuts the legs out from under the 3 Eagles "disrespecting" the flag

Man, he really picked the wrong spot on the flag that day.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

He is dead to me.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The loving irony of this statement is that members of the military are not generally encouraged or allowed to take public political stances.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

One of my best friends is completely incapable of seeing past his own life experiences. Both his parents are teachers and he immediately appeals to the authority figure. He's cis, and he has told me just "doesn't understand" trans people. He also can't differentiate between BLM protesters and the opportunist rioters in Ferguson, etc.

He's not stupid, he's not hateful, but he has massive blinders for anything that doesn't match his upbringing. It's fascinating how incapable he is of seeing the other side. Not out of malice but pure inability.

I was raised a conservative republican, and after college it took me a hard decade or so to realize how stupid that ideology is. Not only is it easily contradicted, but also the more you learn about the people who believe it, the more you realize just how awful they are as humans. My turn didn't happen overnight. It was a slow and painful stripping away much of what I'd been raised to believe as truth. The only way to STAY conservative is to be coerced into believing that all media that isn't "Right" media is out to control the news and how you think. The entire ideology is propped up on propaganda and echo chambers. Every hour of every day, you can turn on and listen to some blowhard editorializing the news for the right world view. You've got Talk radio, 24/7 Fox News, Drudge report, and now alt-right online media and blogs that have embraced full tabloid-mode like Breitbart, Infowars, and a few dozen other sites with catchy titles that include words like right and conservative.

Honestly... football is about the only way to inject "likeable" blacks into their loving view. LOL, white people watching basketball? You think it's odd they call Stanford educated Richard Sherman a thug? They unironically believe that anyone who plays basketball is a thug, without ever hearing a word out of their mouths.

This isn't even a straw man I'm building. I'm describing real loving people that I know and have continuous interactions with.

If your friend is a good dude, he can be worn down. If he's really just a decent person with some lovely paradigms, you can slowly strip that away with evidence. Once someone reaches a certain point, though, they become a grand wizard of lovely opinions and will die on literally any hill they're presented with.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 22, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Does this mean I'm not white?

I too watch the basketballs.

I'm talking about the brand of conservative, white, religious shithead who still believes black people should be respectful and enjoy the freedom they've been allowed to this point.

Indiana is the exception. Those crackers love their loving basketball.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

This is awesome. I am a little encouraged by the fact that his sitting/kneeling has really fueled debate and discussion on this issue of racial inequality and it seems to have some legs with more people taking part. Yah it would have been nice if Sherman had these thoughts from the start but let's try not to lay into the guy too much for eventually doing the right thing.

As much as discussion on Facebook can suck, I have actually had some good conversations with people and been able to get through to more than one.

I think a lot of people keyed in on the 9/11 demostrations, because ARE TROPPS, but are coming around now because... dude black people are being executed by cops like every fuckin' day.... Jesus!

CyberPingu posted:

If its worth anything, pretty much everyone in the UK is behind him (or at least most UK NFL fans and people that ive spoken to about it over here)

Just sucks i cant really do much to help from here

Hell dude, we can't do much to help from here. WTF can we, as voters, do to change policing culture? Not a drat lot, I assure you.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 22, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

I think it really does help over here how differently the police are viewed, in Edinburgh at least, you can go up to an Officer and have a chat with him and they are more than happy to oblige. From what i have heard (speculation and could just be unlucky) that in the US you dont talk to cops unless they approach you and if they do you only say as much as you need to.

Yes. Everyone fears and respects cops. When confronted with cops, there are only 2 adequate/appropriate responses... to becoming completely compliant and police, or to begin immediately sucking their ego dicks.

Even white people, for the most part are respectful mostly because they're afraid of getting hassled.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

I wish good cops were more willing to step past the thin blue line

Metapod posted:

Shath I think the only way public perception will change on cops if they actually get punished for murdering people AND the police union stop being such babies

Kalli posted:

And yet very few to no good cops will actually oppose the awful ones. The blue wall of silence makes an awful lot of otherwise good cops awful. Leadership being unwilling to investigate, discipline and fire bad cops and prosecutors being unwilling to charge them leads to a culture of terrible policing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

One thing that you don't have in the UK is the seemingly unconditional backing for law enforcement you get amongst a lot of Americans. While obviously some people like the police more than others you have much more ability to hold the police to account in the UK and criticize them when things go wrong, and that's even with things getting more authoritarian lately due to expanded police powers. I've had amiable chats with police officers at antifa rallies where anti police chants have been thrown by both sides, something that I don't think would go down too well in the US (though I might be mistaken).

The constant presence of the flag is something else that UK people find strange as well though - someone openly flying the Union flag or god forbid a St George's flag is usually a pretty good giveaway that they're a ukipper or nationalist of some stripe.

Your beat cops not carrying loving guns around is pretty loving rad. How can you escalate with deadly force when you literally can't?

swickles posted:

On Lebatards show, Stephen A Smith just said that he has spoken to minority police officers who flat out told them if they break rank they would be targeted first.

Uh.... thanks Stephen A. Maybe don't act like a real journalist, because you just bring a lack of credibility to every loving thing you talk about.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

The whole UK cops not carrying guns defintely helps them to feel alot less threatening thats for sure...which is what it should be. They shouldnt be a loving threat

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

This makes a ton of sense. It also reminds me of S5 of the Wire where McNulty basically fabricates the serial killer so he can allocate funds to the police department to do actual work.

I love me some McNutty.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

When I worked as a guard in the county hospital psych ward (which basically means dealing with the people the cops can't leave at the jail) one of my coworkers would, hand to christ, wear a god drat bullet proof vest. His reasoning? "It's a warzone out there".

Then he arrested someone for being drunk at the hospital, which is where you're supposed to go if you're too drunk because hospitals take care of poo poo like overdoses and substance abuse. :cripes: brilliant.

edit

Confession time!

I'll be applying for departments in April. Hope I don't get murdered for tweeting that Black Lives Matter. :sigh:

Nice knowing you, Chich.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This is not how I imagined this would go for Colin when he started this mess, but here we are. He's become unironic clipboard Jesus.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Lol yeah right those 44% ain't doing poo poo

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"Then we have a fundamental disagreement, then!"

"... Well, I'm the coach of this NFL team and you're some jackass with a badge and a recorder... Do you have any questions about... I don't know... fuckin' football coming anytime soon?"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SON OF A BITCH!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

It'd be pretty great if Kelly had ended that by saying, "so you want players to refuse questions not related to football and yet you want me to focus on this non-football related question?"

Yeah, that would have been a great zinger and like half the press in the room would have cheered.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

Ahhh man, white people can't enjoy hot sauce? :(

I loving love hot sauce!

Cholula on my pizza is like ketchup on my fries... I could eat it without, but fuckin' WHY?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Wow gently caress that guy.

Also holy poo poo, I did not realize that it was that Jose Fernandez. Jesus. :smith:

What? No!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A man is dead, chiche.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

This post is so white I need sunglasses snow goggles to look at it.

Man, please, actin' like you give a gently caress about a minority culture with this poo poo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

mods rename me passive aggressive diarrhea

And then, please, change my name to Ehud.

edit.

Also yeah, no, White people SHOULD learn about black civil rights history, because it's important and completely glossed over in our current education system.

It's a loving travesty honestly. I never knew how the Black Panther party started until I loving googled it. The only thing white kids know about the Black Panthers is that they were "bad dudes", with very little cause to expand on that knowledge.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 26, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

The Black Panthers were heroes who saved the President.

They were some bad mother f--- "shut yo mouth"

I'm just talking about The Black Panthers.

Shath Hole posted:

I really didn't know much about them either, like Chili. I was under the impression that they were some racist hate group, but it seems that label is more for the "new" BPP which the original one refutes.

Don't tell a conservative person that poo poo, yo. They will freak out on you.

Though, to be fair, it depends how much Sean Hannity they listen to on the reg.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

I hosed up and spoke too soon. It's in the liberal arts degree graveyard (parent's garage!) along with my future.

hell, same

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Apparently a Nebraska player was told he should be hung because he kneeled.

Thanks, Nebraska...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

:thurman:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

I am really tired of watching white people be ignorant and awkward about this poo poo on television. and not in a "why don't they ever show any good things white people do??!? #rahowa #whitegenocide" way, but cmon fellow chalkies, get your poo poo together and stop acting like fools

I actually am a little tired of all the coverage of ignorant white assholes, personally. I'm a reasonable loving dude who vocally supports BLM and damnit, you just don't see a ton of that covered in the media.

Thanks... Chip Kelly, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

And another unarmed Black man was shot and killed by police in El Cajon California. He was mentally ill and his sister had called 911 for medical help.

That case looks tragic as gently caress. Dude drew his hands quickly from his pockets and stood in a shooting stance... doesn't seem he had a gun, so he suicided himself by cop.

He was mentally distressed according to his sister, so suicidal isn't a real leap. Supposedly he'd been walking around in the street putting himself at risk of being struck by a car.

The cops shouldn't have shot him. They were preparing to tase him when the guy "drew" on them, and they wound up shooting him because that was the weapon that was pointing at the time. I don't know if any cop in America would have been any better in that moment, honestly.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 28, 2016

• Locked thread