Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

, also Apollo and Trucy are siblings but lol thinking that's getting brought up again.

You may be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm almost 100% sure this never happens. Anything on the screen that's not a word bubble is the sense of sight

Yeah, it is even highlighted as sight. I don't get how they missed that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

what is consultation in the options? is that like, if i keep it on the game will give me hints?

If you fail multiple times in a row the game will offer you the option to consult. (It shows up as a glowing option at the top.) Doing so has your assistant give you a hint and highlights the statement you need to to do something with. (it doesn't highlight the evidence you'd need to present so it's more of a hint than anything.)

I only checked it out once but it doesn't look like it has unique dialogue, your assistant just goes "I think you should check this!" and the statement gets highlighted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

Thanks!

I feel like the game is super laggy.

E: I think the text speed just feels really slow.

You should be able to set it so it advances text with a button press with some exceptions. There is a noticeable loading time before certain events though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I literally just started chapter 2 and I have to ask. Is Bonny a sprite? She... she has to be right?

Why is she a sprite

Bonny is a bunny

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Why do I find it funny when Edgeworth threatens Gumshoe with a cut salary, but unfair and sad when Sadmadhi does the same to Ema? ...Probably because Ema is more competent but still.

Ema got poo poo on by life a lot harder than Gumshoe and just got her dream job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be very slightly fair:

It's stated later that a lot of lawyers begged and pleaded for forgiveness after being convicted, so it sounds like he just genuinely wanted Phoenix humiliated.

It still means he was willing to get a child DIE to humiliate him though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Me too. What gets me is how Dhurke is very specifically his adopted father. So now they've got the dangling thread of his biological father to bring up whenever they wish. Maybe in this game still? I kinda doubt it tho.

Vague spoiler
It is absolutely addressed this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

i already hate prosecutor sahdmadhi he is a mean bad man

Maybe if you weren't so loving sinful you'd change your mind.

Justin_Brett posted:

Case 2: which of these videos am I supposed to be looking at? The one of Bonny, I assume.

The one of Bonny, yes. Something is missing in the other video.

More detailed clue.
Playing cards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm a big fan of how much Apollo just loving hates Klavier.

It's very relateable because I hate him too.

Edit: AAAAAA APOLLO READS MANGA THE loving WEEBLORD

Read your comic books, Apollo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I like Apollo a lot. My shocking law boy.

I really was impressed how DD and SoJ basically turned me around on Apollo a lot. It really helps that he gets to like actually be his own character and Athena is a really good assistant for him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Man the puzzle in case 5 was a bitch and a half. If someone gets stuck on it:

The one you're not getting right is the third row. Remember that the sections can be set to show two halves of a picture.

Yeah, that one threw me off for a while. It's kind of a weird trick I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

My gripe about Case 4 is that it blatantly only really exists so you get a chance to play as Athena, so presumably they'd have made it for people who like her, yet they spend the whole time making GBS threads on her as somehow less experienced than in 5-3.

That didn't bother me as much because "people making GBS threads on the attorney only to be proven wrong" is the theme of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

More Case 4: I'm mostly uncomfortable with Geiru because I've listened to the clown fetish episode of The F Plus and I know this is getting some people playing the game going.

The Judge, for one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Filla Kayse is my favorite witness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Just finished case 1 moments before my 3ds battery could die. Good god was that a lengthy and amazing first case. 2nd longest and 2nd best opening for sure. Pees'lubn was the best, the Insight thing is a sensible new mechanic for a change, sudden Jamieson Price during the ending oh my god Dhurke is going to be hard to dislike. It was weird that the Allegro cross-examination theme played for every single cross-examination but the very first one though!

...Gaspen Payne is a completely detestable fucklord who better not come back ever again.

He'll be replaced by his fresh up-and-comer son Gronen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

And More posted:

Episode 4 The characters were really hateable. The client makes your life unnecessarily difficult because he can't testify, Uendo is four lame stereotypes rolled into one, and I also hate clowns because they give me PTSD flashbacks to the second game. It didn't help that, every few minutes, Simon has to save your rear end, stopping the trial dead in its tracks. There might as well have been a big flashing neon sign over the culprit's head, too. Athena is bad at her job.

Still, I didn't actually hate it. Simon telling Nahyuta to shut up was nice. The rest was just boring, though, and I wanted it to be over.

Yes, bring on the Butz.

I legitimately can't figure out how "Athena is bad at her job" comes from this and doesn't apply to literally every lawyer in the franchise. Phoenix Wright had to be saved by his dead mentor coming back from the afterlife on multiple occasions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mabels big day posted:

it's annoying because Athena seems to be characterized solely by the fact that she's young and inexperienced. Phoenix obviously was inexperienced at a point but by the third game you actually got the feeling that he was competent and experienced. I'm not saying Athena is supposed to be super competent, but I am saying that her inexperience is an obnoxiously big part of her character. Have I mentioned that Athena sucks?

"Phoenix was young and inexperienced but by the third game in the trilogy he was the sole protagonist of you got the idea he was competent, Athena sucks because she hasn't done all of Phoenix's plot development in 1/10th the time" is a weird-rear end statement.

Athena also isn't absolutely just characterized by being inexperienced. Her big thing is Emotions both as a positive and negative. It is why she has the case revolving around a ton of emotional stuff and why her thing is the mood matrix.

I think she works best with Apollo but that is because she has someone to play off of (and likewise Apollo benefits from having her to bounce off of.) She suffers in her solo case because she's got Blackwell who isn't really a viable Assistant in that regards but she still pulls off the usual turnabout in a way only she could.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

And More posted:

Episode 4 Usually, Mia just gives Phoenix some vague hint so he can figure it out himself. Simon straight up solves a bunch of problems for Athena. He gets the actor to talk, and gets the prosecutor to back off when that should really be Athena's job.

You're seriously misremembering Mia then. She's instrumental in solving cases. Hell, she's instrumental in solving her own murder. Phoenix Wright is literally known for bluffing his way through everything until an answer appears and is frequently saved by last-minute help from outside sources. He (and Apollo for that matter) get more capable the more screentime they get but every Phoenix Wright protagonist basically gets backed into a corner and saved by other people. Hell, Phoenix loses a case with his life on the line in this very game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

In fact, if I remember correctly, Godot in the third game forces Phoenix to solve the final case without any help at all because Mia is constantly bailing him out when she's there.

Also, in regards to Phoenix, I wouldn't mind having control of him in the next sequel. Psyche-Locks are fun! (And you generally don't do these if you're in a trial segment, much like Athena doesn't use the Mood Matrix outside of trial segments.)

I have to say my least favorite gimmick is Apollo's bracelet because it's so drat slow even if you find the quirk quickly. (Well, least favorite protagonist gimmick. Fingerprinting is the worst overall.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nova Odin posted:

Episode 5 spoilers

Spark Brushel on Jove Justice back in AA4: http://imgur.com/a/Ag104

Technically none of that is inaccurate!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

I think it's inevitable that the Judge is a client. I don't know how it hasn't happened yet.

The Judge gets accused, Junpier has to stand in as the new Judge.

As soon as she gets in the court she goes bald and grows a magnificent beard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh,, it's the usual "I played this game years ago and forgave all its mistakes but the new game is bad for doing the same things because I'm older now and my tastes have changed" stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

So I'm...some amount of the way into the second trial day of case 5, probably nearing the end, and I just have to say I get how necessary it is to have the one-on-one with Nahyuta that shows him the error of his ways and that he doesn't need to shackle himself to Ga'ran anymore and whatnot, but it's also really goofy that we spend all that time proving how the murderer did the deed and the necessity of channeling and all, but then Nahyuta can just jump behind the witness stand, say he did the crime and the judge is all but willing to just go with it without any need to go into details about how he could have done it in the face of all the evidence.

The murder didn't require channeling. This is actually pretty important to the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackquill is extremely upset about the modern remake of Steel Samurai and feels that the new design doesn't capture the sleek and stylish presentation of the original suit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Blackquill isn't a dick. :colbert:

Well, not all the time.

Blackquill is absolutely a dick but a fun dick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nftyw posted:

Much better than Nahyuta.

Yeah, Nahyuta is one of my least favorite prosecutors. He's just so... static and doesn't have any particularly fun gimmicks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Franziska is probably almost last in terms of prosecutors, only just above Klavier. She's terrible to fight and basically relies on attacking you rather than interesting gimmicks and drained the satisfaction of victory when she beat Phoenix unconscious after he won.

I'd honestly rank the prosecutors as Edgeworth > Von Karma > Blackquill > Godot > Ga'ran > Nahyuta > Franziska > Klavier.

Franziska getting better outside of course doesn't make her any less crappy as a prosecutor you face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I personally do not think that the spoiler thing listed here should count.

Why wouldn't it count?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Athena owns. Lotta big mistakes there, mabes. They're going to revoke your Phoenix Wright License and usher in the dark age of the attorney simulation.

Also known as Apollo Justice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Percieve wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to s i t t h r o u g h t h e v e r y s l o w t e x t and instead could skip back and forth like you can in every other gimmick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edgeworth has a lot of personality, great animations, is satisfying to beat both when he's playing serious and when he's being a poo poo, is relatively well-rounded for a PW character, and rather than having a Gimmick his gimmick is "was the prosecutor" which allows him to be more interesting to face compared to "Gonna whip you nonstop" or "HELLFIRE!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Einwand posted:

I'm currently failing at comprehending what the point to the 4th case was and I'm feeling doubtful that case 5 day 2 is going to change my thoughts on the matter.

The fourth case, like the rest of the cases, serves to drive home the theme of family and legacy that is central to the game while also giving Athena a chance to take on the prosecutor so all three characters get to beat him at least once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simon is genuinely my favorite non-Edgeworth prosecutor, yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Gordon is the Judge (somehow) and Bullock is Gumshoe. "I ain't gonna help you, bat-freak! Ok fine I'll help you."

Yeah, this is accurate. Bullock is way more Gumshoe than Gordon is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know if I like Apollo more than Phoenix but they're at least equal in my mind now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm really looking forward to a game all about Wendy Oldbag

This would fit with the lawyering-in-hell thing too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Apollo was bad in his first game but has become good. Neither Phoenix nor Apollo should be retired but are reaching the point they work better as support for a less experienced attorney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Apollo Justice is seriously one of the better turnarounds of a character. It's amazing how good a job they did at making me like the guy after his debut.