Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I would play Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, but I haven't played a single Layton game, so half of the game would just feel lost on me

Probably just because of this, the game's Layton side is very...intro-level. There's no really hard puzzles and Layton's overarching story is referenced even less than AA. As long as you kinda know who the Prof is you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

do we get to play as athena or is she just support now

In case you actually want to know, I happened to get spoiled on this by a Youtube comment (I assume it's true!), so here's the answer, and I'll make the spoilers extra long so you can't interpret the answer from their length: Yes, but only in a segment similar to Edgeworth in AA3. So it's one half of a case. extra text extra text extra text extra text extra text extra text

extra text extra text extra text

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

ign hated this game how can i live with myself now

*Some guy who works for IGN disliked it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, I just started case 3, and I cannot loving believe they brought Maya back just so she could get arrested for murder within her first ten minutes of screentime.

Oh wait, I can totally believe that. God damnit, Ace Attorney.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have the feeling I'm the only one to get this far, but here goes, for posterity: In case 3, the Divination Seance: I'm completely stumped after pointing out that the positions were reversed. I feel like I skimmed through some important hint from Phoenix, because he definitely said something, and I have absolutely no idea what my angle of attack is supposed to be right now. There's several things that seem kinda weird, but none of them have worked when I tried to present them. There's way too many possibilities to just brute force it, too.

Hmm, maybe I could mess up enough to get the consult, and then load my save from before messing up? Hopefully you can get consulted on divinations.

E: Well, I answered my own question by furiously googling and finding out that there's a simple spoiler-free walkthrough on gameFAQs already, based on the japanese version. Here it is, if anyone else gets seriously stuck: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/180648-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-spirit-of-justice/faqs/73524

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 9, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

So I just discovered the connection between Sahdmadhi and Apollo

Man we really did not know much about this guy at all huh

Me too. What gets me is how Dhurke is very specifically his adopted father. So now they've got the dangling thread of his biological father to bring up whenever they wish. Maybe in this game still? I kinda doubt it tho.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Khura'inese name puns are all terrible, horrible, and I love them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

Case 4 full That was quite probably the most filler-y filler case in the whole series. It wasn't a particularly good case, either.

Last case tomorrow!

I didn't like the mystery much, but I still love every piece of dialogue in it, and it had good character moments, so I can't hate it. Definitely weakest, but not too bad. Seems like they've just nailed the writing this time around; I just like every character they throw at me. Everyone's got something endearing and/or interesting about them, and the dialogue all feels good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

So, non-spoilery questions about the case 4 translation now that people got through it -- is it still specifically Rakugo? Do they quote Jugemu and other bits of classic acts? How is the entire thing handled, in general? That was the most "the writers hate the translation team" case I've ever seen in an AA game.

I imagine even if they did a fantastic job many of the small jokes are lost on western players, which is kind of a shame. It's probably the weakest part of the game and it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of it but it's clearly one of the writers' pet projects and it shows.

I wouldn't know about quoting Jugemu, but it is called Rakugo. There's a short explanation of what it is, but it's not really a problem imo. Sure, some references to classical works might not come through, but you get the gist of what it is and it's enough to understand the whole thing. What I thought was really weird though was that instead, the localization expects you to know what different types of noodles are called without any prior explanation. Especially how the word "udon" pops up very suddenly after the whole case has been spent talking about soba, and then every character just knows the difference between those types of noodles. I happen to vaguely know what that is but I can see it coming off very weird.

Rakugo really didn't seem weird to me at all by comparison. Just explaining it as "japanese comedy act" would have been completely fine, probably. You don't really need to know any finer point of it to solve the case or anything. Was there like a whole plot reference with the case I was missing or something?

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 10, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I beat it! Amazing game, best AA since 3, easily. Maybe best in the series, but we'll see how I feel about it in a week.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can I gush about the OST for a sec? It's also best-in-series material. Not all of the melodies are maybe quite as catchy as the old familiar ones, but it's more varied than ever, with unique songs for many, many situations, and cool remixes too.

I really love this one that usually plays during some sort of inner turmoil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw09_QS-J7M

fronz posted:

Did you play AAI2?

I did. It would be third best in this situation, They're all amazing anyway, but for some reason I'm not feeling that hot on it. Maybe I just like the regular crew more than Edgey's adventures.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Case 4 wasn't bad but it really feels like a total waste of time. Like where it has no bearing on anything and just serves to interrupt the general pacing of the games overall story.

Waste of time??? What're ya playing these games for? You solve a mystery, there's fun and stupid characters involved, prosecutors get satisfyingly owned, etc. I really don't get it when people say cases are "filler" because they don't relate to the arc plot.

Now, I didn't actually like the mystery in case 4 much, but that has absolutely nothing to do with its "filler"-ness.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

lol (case 5) Inga's full name is Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in.

This is the ultimate stupid name pun, and the franchise can literally never top it. I vote for the rest of the games to pick their names out of the most common names book.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey, I've got 34 hours and one minute!

For a somewhat interesting comparison, my Dual Destinies playtime is 28 and a half hours, and that includes the DLC. They made a really meaty game this time around.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a generic leitmotif in this game that's Banjo-Kazooie as gently caress and I love it.

Is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b_7kq9CdPI

I love it too, and I also love every character it plays with.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LostRook posted:

Full game spoilers:

Am I wrong or is Inga's motivation in the game Rayfa?

Maybe I'm not used to AA games being this subtle, but it seemed like the game was hinting at him being a good guy by caring for Rayfa and ignoring execution orders, but we never got confirmation. I'm thinking that the reason Inga wanted the founders orb, killed Dhurke and tried to betray the Garan was to keep Rayfa as his daughter. The only thing missing was some kind of indication that Garan intended to eliminate Amara and Rayfa after she got the orb.

I'm pretty sure the idea is that both of the rulers are jerks, but the queen is much more of a jerk than first seems and vice versa. Inga was totally complicit in Ga'ran's bid for power and the crushing of the rebellion, and he was obviously just an unpleasant person to be around, but he wasn't actually all that evil unlike the queen who's practically a supervillain. He actually cared about things like his family and the affairs of his country. Overall the impression I got was that he's a pretty simple man.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Clarste posted:

Pure filler.

What's a filler case! This term is meaningless!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's a cool but massive fanart: everyone without their coats and/or jackets (and Apollo showing off his not-jacket-wearing)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

alcharagia posted:

god gently caress apollo justice case 3

'S alright. It's no clown case. Sure, the logic kinda sucks and it has the video, but none of the witnesses are actively unlikable idiots who make you want to stop reading the dialogue (which is what I play these games for mostly anyway).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cloofish posted:

then there's the premise: the prosecution asserts that a small child manages to fire a hand cannon without dislocating anything as well as somehow being able to drag a bigass man to the stage.

Who careeees about this, the logic in these games is usually a bit shaky anyway if you start thinking about it too hard.

I guess people do care about it because I hear about it all the time but I honestly couldn't care less.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cloofish posted:

Best witness in the series. Really sad because him being from a filler case means he'll probably never come back. :(

When's the last time any random one-off witness came back, from any case? Adrian Andrews?

Point is it really doesn't happen.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Case 5 Day 2, late investigation: Have we learned nothing from Von Karma? Why am I showing the queen the photo? I going to lose it! Or all my evidence!

Ugh!

Luckily, somehow Von Karma has managed to actually be the most competent bad guy in the series ever, as the only one to actually manage to do something to hinder our heroes outside of the courtroom.

... Wellington doesn't count.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Actually, going by twitter, it is in fact a poo poo game with bad names that doesn't hold a candle to the greatness that is Apollo Justice.

I loving hate this fanbase sometimes.

I can see why some (and, let's just say the name, Gigi) think that, because the franchise's whole feel has obviously changed since 4, courtesy of the new writing team. Even though they've gotten way better it's still not the same, and if that's what you're looking for you're not gonna get it.

It's still a crazy opinion though. And also, you live in a twitter bubble, that's not the consensus at all.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gigi wrote off the entirety of DD because Newman wasn't trans like she hoped. I don't really respect her opinion on the series and I don't think you should either.

I don't respect it much, but I am also quite sure the scenario you're describing did in fact not happen.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

So, uh... Does this fourth case serve any actual purpose?

I'm loving triggered by this question

Yes, it serves a purpose. It's there to entertain you, the player of the game. There's funny and interesting dialogue in it and you solve a case, which is presumably what you came here to do.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I can accept Pearl acting much younger than she should (it was always her thing to be unexpectedly mature about some things and hopelessly innocent about others), but it does require some brain-twisting. Especially the fact that she apparently goes to a normal high school seems really incongruous with her personality. If she just dropped calling everyone Mr. Something, that would help immensely.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I honestly don't know if any case will be able to surpass 2-4 as a complete package
I'm aware this is a pretty rare opinion, but i think 2-4 is like, just good. The premise is amazing and the payoff is so, so satisfactory, but it's just. So long. The investigation is too long, there's too much pointless Oldbag blabber. Basically, it suffers from being 3 days long, and has the dubious honor of being the last case to ever be three days long (well, 1-5 is that kinda but they were better about pacing when they made it), for I believe very good reasons. If day 2 was cut and the rest shuffled around, I would like it way more. As it is, the last time I replayed I got actually exasperated at how long it was taking. I know it's actually the point that the tension is unbearable, but they went too far imo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Whoa. Okay, so it's been so long since I played 2-4 that it actually got longer in my memory because I remember everything taking forever in that case. Well, whatever, I think it's badly paced anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this got an actual chuckle out of me so now you're all subjected to it too

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

what's the joke behind nayutahs name or is there not one
i checked the wiki

quote:

His given name "Nahyuta" comes from "nayuta" (那由多 or 那由他), which is originally a Sanskrit word that denotes a very large number.
"Sahdmadhi", his surname, comes from the Japanese proverb "hotoke no kao mo sando made" (仏の顔も三度まで), which means "Even the Buddha becomes angry if you brush his face thrice", which fits with his calm demeanor and sharp tongue. This could be a reference to the "three chances" he gives to the defence before he constricts them with his beads. It may also come from Samadhi a state of meditative consciousness.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think there is any situation where anyone remotely competent or sympathetic would be legitimately supporting Attishon.

Well that's because he's a murderer. Thinking back, I'm kind of disappointed he was. It's such an easy answer. It'd be much more interesting if he was just a huge jerk who was sometimes right. Part of me wants to say that it's because the writers have no idea how to write a case that doesn't contain a culprit, but I want to believe that they actually did it because they thought it wouldn't be very satisfying if you didn't get to catch the jerk politician of some crime.

Still, I would've liked it if he were written to be a bit less cartoonishly evil and there was no kidnapping. I would've liked trying to actually dispute the orb's ownership from several angles, with a Phoenix who actually believed in what he said.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's a little thing I'm very slightly bothered by in AA6.

Why does everyone in Khura'in just casually speak English (or Japanese) like it ain't no thing? The only Khurai'nese we hear is Nahyuta's sutra, and some random single words. Even before Nick sets foot in the courtroom in Case 1 they're already speaking English amongst themselves!

I guess I can do some mental gymnastics to justify this one: The kingdom is so small and tourist-heavy that their language is actually dying and only used in religious contexts these days. It still seems weird that this isn't even mentioned for a one-off joke in game or anything.

VVV Yes, obviously, but also that's the most boring answer. Have some imagination!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 23, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

So I'm...some amount of the way into the second trial day of case 5, probably nearing the end, and I just have to say I get how necessary it is to have the one-on-one with Nahyuta that shows him the error of his ways and that he doesn't need to shackle himself to Ga'ran anymore and whatnot, but it's also really goofy that we spend all that time proving how the murderer did the deed and the necessity of channeling and all, but then Nahyuta can just jump behind the witness stand, say he did the crime and the judge is all but willing to just go with it without any need to go into details about how he could have done it in the face of all the evidence.

The crime itself could have been committed by anyone who could have gotten in the tomb (by having Amara as an accomplice to help with the coverup channeling). It's a bit of a stretch to say Nahyuta did it, and he obviously didn't, but it's not entirely ludicrous. It even makes sense motive-wise, as naturally Amara would cover for her son.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

I don't really like the Phantom twist because it meant Bobby Fullbright was a character that never actually existed, and everything up until that point was just a ruse. It would've been better if he had just died sometime between case 3 and 4 and was replaced with the Phantom.

Bobby actually did exist though, we just didn't see him. It can be generally assumed that the Phantom's mimicry is almost perfect, and it would've looked weird if his personality did a 180 when he got replaced, so...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Case 3: Maya saying she had outgrown the ladder argument broke my heart :(

Don't worry, the rest of the cast is there to continue it in her place. They do it a few times in the game, too, just with objects that aren't ladders.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

If I wasn't really super hot on the first AAI and think Edgeworth is kind of a boring character overall will I still enjoy AAI2?

Yeah, it survives entirely on the insanity of its twists and enjoyability of the side characters. For the same reasons as you, I don't hold it in quite as high regard as it seems most do, but I still think it's quite good and definitely worth playing. Plus it might just be the longest AA game; all the cases are ridiculously meaty and yet don't drag on at all.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I disliked Blackquill at the beginning too but he grew on me quickly. Godot and Edgeworth are where it's at still I guess.

While we're talking about prosecutors, what's so good about Godot? He drinks coffee, makes incomprehensible coffee metaphors, is a bit of a dick, and that's about it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Yeah, the antagonistic character having a negative quality to give you a reason to hate him more is bad.

Yeah but the script reads to me like he was supposed to be a sympathetic character and you were supposed to feel sad for him having fallen to murder in the end. But I just can't, because he's a big sexist dick who holds stupid grudges for stupid reasons and who got Ami Fey killed for basically no reason. I don't care how much you literally call him cool in the game Takumi, I'm not buying it!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even the Magatama has feedback from what you're doing, and it's just a guideline to proving stuff with evidence. Apollo's Bracelet is literally him standing there pointing at someone and yelling "YOU'RE LYING! YOU'RE TWITCHING YOUR THUMB AND THAT MEANS YOU'RE A LYING LIAR WHO LIES!"

Uhh, actually, this never happens and instead Apollo uses the tic as a jumping off point for his logic. Like "oh, you're nervous about this part of your testimony? I should probably rethink it and examine the evidence again" etc. You always end up proving it with hard evidence in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dude's messed up. The most messed up. Kinda wish he was treated that way more

There is definitely an interesting character in Godot, but you kind of have to dig it out of his writing. He's not very well presented in game.