Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Hey guys, did you hear? Dr. Turner Grey got murdered up in Kurain Village. They're saying that so-called spirit medium Maya Fey killed her. Isn't she the one who got accused of murdering her sister last year?

Oh yeah! That's why the defendant seemed so familiar! Wonder how she's holding up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Case 3 was the one where you see Maya for the first time and she's defendant for the murder of that monk dude. Case 4 is the Rakugo case where Blackquil gets to be a giant dweeb. Trucy was defendant for Case 2, and I thought that one was pretty solid, actually.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

And also for 3DS emulation to be less of a hassle.

E: Are these the same people who weren't going to have any fun with it and just make it dry as hell?

Weren't they the only group?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If you have CFW access, you can basically run patches right from the SD card without needing to actually patch a ROM or whatever.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah basically how much do you want to see Phoenix and Edgeworth on opposite sides of the courtroom again? That's the main reason to grab the SoJ DLC.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Not really. The case gave enough details about it so anyone could follow along as long as they weren't lightly skimming.

Honestly I feel like you'd be in for a rougher time if you didn't pay attention to the difference between udon and soba.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I really love the differing approaches to trials all three of the main lawyers have; Phoenix gets a good sense of the big picture early on and bluffs his way through until he has the ammo he needs, Apollo builds up his case slowly and steadily, and Athena throws a lot of poo poo at the wall until she finds something that sticks.

Raxivace posted:

Edgeworth is great but I hate the voice they have for him now.

Objectishsharghaghaghaghagahg

I wish they could’ve gotten someone with a smoother voice for him, like Cam Clarke. :sigh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

havenwaters posted:

I'm sure the ringmaster will keep that ben fella in line.

You just had to go and jinx it, didn't you.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It sure sounds like he did. Left a suicide note on his desk and everything! :ohdear:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Didn't we learn our lesson about that with the DL-6 clusterfuck? Whatever went down there anyway. Guess the dead aren't necessarily reliable witnesses.

I’m not sure those guys got the memo...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Man I wish I could go. :sigh:

What’s Powers been up to since The Steel Samurai ended, anyway?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't know why I put off playing AAI2 for so long but now that I'm playing, it's great!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

where you at

Last thing I did was use Little Thief to examine the room where poison gas was formed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, Payne handles Maggey’s mistrial because Godot could tell it wasn’t actually Wright and didn’t give a poo poo. They sorta played that card too to explain his absence in Case 5’s first trial day, but he was stuck on a mountain soooo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Momomo posted:

It also didn't make any sense for him to keep that facade up when he wasn't in Kura'in, which really damages the whole idea.

Look, you never know when one of Garan’s spies is watching. :tinfoil:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

don't you just love that fellow Matt Engarde? he's so charming, this run as the Nickel Samurai will definitely get him to the top! whatever happened to the guy who played the Steel Samurai though? His name was... Will?

Something about Engarde puts me off. He’s like, sickeningly perfect and he feels artificial. His show’s alright though, but his character isn’t nearly as much of a hero as the Steel Samurai. Nickel seems more of a grandstander to me.

I heard Will’s on smaller shows now but I can’t figure out what. You’d think it’d be easy to spot his mane but I haven’t seen him on any show since his trial last year.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

looking forward to sweet motions controls

slam both joycons hard onto a table to press the witness

We already had "Point the wiimote to object" :v:.

I may or may not have accidentally thumbed over the wrong piece of evidence mid-point once.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Did AA1 use the lifebar in other versions of the trilogy? I don't think so, but you can see a slightly different lifebar in the AA1 cases rather than the 5 strikes.

This will be the first version of AA1 to not use 5 strikes, as far as I can tell, which seems kinda weird since I thought SoJ was indicative of the series moving back to the 5 strikes thing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

He could be a step brother?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Meallan posted:

Ok but have you guys noticed that the switch joycons have the colour combos of Nick and Edgeworth and even in the exact sides they will take on screen? Makes you think.

:confused:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Huh, well, I guess they gotta introduce Maggey somewhere. Now I’m curious about whether we’re gonna go 3-1 -> 3-4 or 3-4 -> 3-1.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The only 3-day case we've gotten past Ace Attorney 1 is Rise from the Ashes, which is a weird thing to say because that's the fifth case of AA1 DS but it was written after the original trilogy so whatever, and that case was loooooooooooooong thanks to each of its days being as dense as the later games in the original trilogy. It's a good case, but I am very ok with sticking to 2-day cases because dense 3-day cases are so exhausting.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If even Wright's dirty and using forged evidence, then... all lawyers are scum.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Merilan posted:

SoJ's case 1 feels really bizarre in that sense because he literally says "I have ten years of experience" but then he's back to internally monologuing about bluffing and hoping something falls on his lap, even in the moments where it's in the Court Record.

That’s kind of his style though; he has good intuitions about how cases pan out, but he can’t prove anything so he has to bluff and maintain a strong poker face until he has his proof. He seems a panicky goofball rookie in his internal monologue because he’s gambling his entire case on the prospect of eventually finding the key to tying it all together, but outwardly, he can’t show that because that would destroy his credibility.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Merilan posted:

Did Gumshoe ever show up again in the new trilogy? I'm not done with AA6 obviously but I can't remember him in 5, and he only showed up in flashback in 4...

He hasn't shown up since AA4's flashback, no.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You can make it a little translucent, which I would highly recommend because that's what the original games had as standard.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Does that even still count as cheating? I thought that was like, Prosecuting 101 in Japanifornia.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Merilan posted:

apollo's gotcha mechanic is gonna be weirder when you can see every single skin pore they have

gently caress I wanna see them remake the Spark Brushel perceive thing in the RE Engine now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

In a way, I kind of prefer Herlock over Sherlock for the historical silliness and the fact that filing all the serial numbers off somehow makes it feel more Ace Attorney.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don’t remember it requiring internet but the game itself plays fine, from what I remember.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Going by the Court Records twitter, they were using never-before-seen localized names for Great Ace Attorney characters and terms though, so that’s probably a good sign.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I will never get over how perfect of a localization choice "Herlock Sholmes" is. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah it's not particularly hard to believe that a Californian man has a Japanese ancestor.
I mean it's less a "choice" and more of a legal necessity. But yeah I think it sortof works given the character and tone.

They still had the choice of what to rename him, so they went the double-literary-reference and cribbed Maurice Leblanc's solution for the same problem from a century ago.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

In short, no one wants to poke the bear if they don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lamont posted:

While we're at it, what's the best way to play the main series these days? I see 1-3 have a collection on PC and PS4 - any idea if one platform is better than the other?

I think the only truly bad version of the AA1-3 collections is the mobile port. That version has a whole slew of issues, so get the Phoenix Wright trilogy on literally anything else. Ironically enough though, I think the mobile versions of everything else that's been localized might be the best way to play those games, especially now that the 3DS is basically dead. The ports of 4 and AAI are pretty solid, and 5 and 6 run on Capcom's magic MT Framework engine so those could be ported to a toaster and run beautifully.