Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Wrageowrapper posted:

Pretty sure that is Tomoe Nage. I was taught to only use it when you are completely knackered and have nothing else but its just so much fun.

Echoing other dissents on this throw. Very effective, should be used sparingly in Judo competition due to risk of being pinned. But outside of that its a cool and good throw and great for BJJ.

Biggest mistake is the lack of technique in execution. Tired novies use it by just falling backwards hoping their opponent will just magically roll over them like it's that Street Fighter pic you posted. In reality, the technique is more like doing a clean and jerk. Need opponent to be leaned forward, then you need to pull your hips under their center of gravity before you finish the throw with your hands. Ideally, you should also continue the motion and finish in mount.

Also, the more popular and effective (and cooler looking) variation is yoko-tomoe-nage (side circle throw) which safer and sets you up for open guard positions if your opponent defends the technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Surprise T Rex posted:

To be honest I'm way off being able to try that yet.

I'm struggling to do O Soto Gari with any level of consistency after only a few classes, though I'm not too frustrated, I can see that I'll get into the swing of it all eventually.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but give it a few years. Throws take a very long time to develop.

EDIT: Also want to add, most judo players have at most 3 throws they are good at. Primary move, counter to the defense of your primary move, and a *maybe* a secondary mix-up throw.

There are also fundamental skills like footsweeps which all players need to work on all the time.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 25, 2016

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey Thoguh, if you still read this thread: I'm in Ames for work and I stopped by the Iowa State judo club and had a great time. Awesome club, great people.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

Do you guys do any conditioning for grappling? 6 minute rolling sessions destroy me and no-gi stuff is so explosive I'm short of breath after few minutes. Wondering if there are any effective routiunes i could do when I'm not able to go to grappling/bjj. For some reason gi stuff is much easier fitness-wise.

Do more grappling.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I can roll for 10 minutes straight without getting tired, but my cardio is pretty poor right now outside of that, so if someone really pushes the pace on me and makes me work, I start to suffer.

That's because they are better than you. Grappling is cardio work. Failure and losing in practice is not a big deal, it is in face the point of practice.

Or you can try not working as hard or not practicing more and seeing what your results are.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

You're also not considering that some (most) people have physical limitations on the amount of hard grappling/sparring that they can do. I can't go hard very often, because I'm older, and I don't recover in the same ways that younger people do. I'm also smaller, so I get injured at a higher rate than the big guys. I'm already on the mats 6-8 hours per week at an intensity that I have identified as my body's safe limit. If I increase it, I'll simply find myself having to skip practices to heal.

You'd never see a (good) boxing/mma coach say something like "running is for idiots, just go spar more," because that's how fighters get injured. Why is it different for grappling?

No amount of extra conditioning will make you younger or more limber. If you're getting injured a lot, you might need to reconsider who you are training with, as well as your goals for the sport. If you're regularly getting injured, you're in a bad training environment, IMO.

Good boxing/mma coaches aren't concerned about developing healthy, recreational athletes. They need to produce winners and will do whatever at the expense of the health of their athlete to achieve that. The athletes who put themselves through that training are also not considering long term health, they are pathologically driven to win. If you're worried about your health, then you should not be comparing your routines with theirs.

Not every workout has to be 100% max effort rolling, and you don't need to be a punching bag for better/younger athletes unless thats what you want. If you're struggling to keep up with every rolling session, maybe take some more time to drill your techniques, or just sit some rounds out.

Of course extra conditioning will help. But not as much as grappling will help, and if you are already struggling with your training regime, then adding MORE training won't help you be less sore.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Congrats on the competition experience! Just going out and competing puts you ahead of so many other people, regardless of results.

Question: I need a new judo gi and Hatashita doesn't have the size I need - where do you folks buy your gear?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Big new rule changes for Judo - actually making things simpler

https://www.ijf.org/news/show/adapted-rules-of-the-next-olympic-cycle

Quick hits

-Matches are now 4 minutes
-No more gripping penalties
-No more yuko score
-Leg grabs not instant lose
-3 penalties is Hansoku Make, instead of 4.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Tai Chi is like yoga for old chinese folks but cheaper and with less creepy white people.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KildarX posted:

I will say if BJJ does have one significant weakness is that most Gyms in my experience don't do any sort of stand up practice beyond maybe a few minutes here and there of demoing a single or a double, but they generally don't work it long or consistent enough to actually have a meaningful standup besides grips and pull guard.

BJJ standup is kind of like Judo groundwork, overlooked because the sporting rules don't give it enough weight. Train in both if you can. Good Judo players do, and will gently caress you up on the ground in a tournament.

I believe kumi-kata generally refers to grip-fighting. The rules here have (finally) loosened up, so if you intend to compete in Judo better get used to learn how to grip fight and transition your gripping game directly into your throws.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KildarX posted:

Doesn't it though? In most competition a Guard pull doesn't give you anything except guard at best, and at worst if done improperly causes a penalty. In most competition a take down is worth two points at worst and a lot more if you can take advantage a get a pass. If you want to game the system you'd hit a take down and stall while not looking like your stalling for three minutes.

Unless they seriously trained in judo or wrestling first, BJJ players I've done stand up with at every rank have white belt judo quality take downs and throws. And even then, if they haven't trained in standup for a while they're still kind of butt in the standup game.

This is all gi training, I don't know poo poo about no-gi standup.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

IMO the best Judo/BJJ hybrid would just be allowing Judo rules with leg grabs and without bad stoppage rules for groundwork, letting players fight on the ground longer and less stupid submission restrictions. Lots of bad refs think kimuras and poo poo are illegal in Judo.

Also, slightly stricter scoring rules for ippon. Gotta really blast a dude for that score, otherwise throw and keep fighting on the ground.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

That aikido video actually just look exactly like a local judo tournament, right down to the middle school gym venue.

And the fighting looks like low grade Judo.

Aikido people who want to compete should just go do Judo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

While, true, I think that's not the argument being made here.

It's that, if we made someone advanced in aikido compete under judo or BJJ rules, whether there are basic elements of the style (that'd be on display) that would make it effective and yet markedly different from typical gi grappling techniques.

People in BJJ and Judo train specifically for their sport. This question is similar in my mind to 'what would make a rugby player good in the NFL?'. The have to run fast, hit hard and be strong and athletic. Technique specificity comes from the ruleset and training around that ruleset.

To be a good competitor in Judo you need strong gripping, balance, endurance, agility, strength, high quality throwing techniques, and at least enough groundwork to survive, even if you can't score or win points there. You need to understand the rules of the game. If you want to be good at judo, go do judo with other judo people. If you want to be good at basketball or soccer, go play those games with those people and challenge yourself.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Here's the only video I could find of that technique, known in Judo as Uki Otoshi, working in competition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVt6VgJK_8c

:eng101: Uki Otoshi is the first technique in the judo throwing kata because it's pretty much a straight example of the principle of kuzushi.

At the risk of being a pedant, but this move is uchimata sukashi - counter to uchimata, a technique which Inoue is possibly the all time master of.

Kosei Inoue was also freak loving athlete and possibly the GOAT non-heavyweight Judoka. He was a -100kg player who regularly competed with and defeated heavyweights. Most importantly, he trained hard as a motherfucker all the goddamn time, something far more important than technique or school or philosophy or style.

If you want to be good at fighting, fight hard and push yourself in training. There are no secrets, no shortcuts, no mystical knowledge which will make you a good martial artist. There is only hard work. Anything else is bullshit.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

MT is cool, but I think BJJ is popular due to being low impact and lots of competition opportunity. MT/boxing matches are not so casual or accessible as a BJJ or Judo tournament, and competition creates more motivation to train.

But MT is super cool.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Also every grappler here should purchase a foam roller right now. Using one regularly will do wonders to keep your hips and back in good shape and not feeling like your muscles are trying to shrivel up and die.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I can hear willie_dee getting the vapors on that self-defense stuff:
http://drunkcyclist.com/2017/03/28/tales-from-the-trail-getting-stompd/

The comments to this post are loving incredible. Every bad internet argument at once.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

JaySB posted:

I was looking for a place to train on my upcoming vacation and I stumbled upon this gem
http://www.calmartialarts.com/sifub.shtml

Ask sifu is he knows Tiger Style

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Do ya'll train with any cops? I know that a few I've trained with some in the past, as well as vets in the past, but the politics around both those issues has....changed in the last few years.

Any good stories?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Rofl, what an awesome guy to do this, but at the same time, how does he not now think "what a waste of my life doing this has been now it's clear that it's nothing but a poo poo choreographed ballet dance"

Hey, ballet dancers work a lot harder and are way tougher than most aikido practicioners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXfr5hiUkI

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

the yellow dart posted:

Anyone have input on BJJ gyms in northern Virginia? Coming from a Riberio gym so a little biased towards their affiliate in Springfield, but looking for anywhere else that might be interesting in the Alexandria/eastern NOVA section (that isn't associated with LI). The Caio Terra affiliate seems decent and I've heard good things about Pentagon MMA from muay thai types, but not sure what the scene is like up there right now. I have friends who train at 50/50 and other Vienna/Falls Church gyms, but looking towards Alexandria in particular.

https://www.testudobjj.com/

I know this instructor here, Ervin, and he's a great teacher and coach. Totally recommend.

Pentagon MMA also has a very good teacher, Sugi. I think he placed top 8 at -73kg in the 2004 Olympics for Judo representing Mongolia, and is also a BJJ black belt. He's a loving beast, and despite not having great english, is still extremely good at teaching.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

BJJ players are typically very, very bad at standing up, unless they have a prior background in wrestling or BJJ. Even then, if they haven’t been keeping their stand up sharp they can get very owned standing.

Practice stand-up grappling people. Even if you’re just a BJJ player, you should want to be able to score on your opponent standing, and throws often lead to points in side control/Mount/whatever top position you can get.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If you are training to learn how to win street fights, you are not training for the right reasons lmfao.

In fact, if your thoughts are focused on how to beat up strangers, you probably need therapy.

If you are getting into lots of street fights, maybe you should try and change that environment rather than continue to put yourself into dangerous situations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yuns posted:

You can get spiked onto the crown of your head and paralyzed when you keep your head to the outside in a single leg. (I think they call it a DDT in pro wrestling.)

This. Novice stand up grapplers are the most dangerous thing because of how unpredictable and undisciplined they are.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Well look at that judo technique I posted above it. The arm drag KO is basically the same thing. The angles are just a little different. He didn't give his opponent enough room to tuck his chin and roll, so he eats their combined body weights on his face, and then the guy kinda pops out the side.

those are two different throwing techniques. The KO throw attempt was a shoulder throw/seoi nage where he over rotated, but the guy's weight was so far forward that the pull and drop still took him down. The other technique is a makkikomi. Main difference is the arms and hip placement, shoulder throw, arm goes under the opponents arm and lifts them up with the shoulder/back. Makkikomi relies on the hips/legs as a fulcrum point.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Uchi makikomi is done by overrotating ippon seoi nage.

its not. you can see in the two videos posted how the person being thrown is being loaded and launched from different points on the attackers body. the person cant go over the top in the KO video when the attacker wraps the arm over as they did for makkikomi of any variety. uchi-makkimoki is done from losing the grip on a uchimata or harai attempt, not a seoi.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Most judo players I know don't use mouthguards, but I think this is a changing trend in lots of sports, not just grappling/combat sports. NBA players are starting to wear them more, and I think theres evidence they help with TBIs.

gently caress, am I'm typing this out I'm thinking I should probably start wearing a mouthguard.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

'getting the hang' of throws takes years. Most elite players have 1, maybe 2 throws that they consider themselves good in or feel confident busting out in a competitive match. Learning a range of techniques is important for learning the sport - but don't hold yourself to unrealistic expectations about what is considered a 'good' technique.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Novum posted:

Thats probably the more helpful way to phrase it. Judo nerds this applies to you too.

there is universality to learning the japanese names. theyre actually not hard, and gives people from different nations a standard language. i've trained with people who dont speak a lick of english and gotten great instruction from them because i have a basic grasp of a judo terminology.

any martial art is just as full of jargon. wtf is a kimura or a americana or a x guard or a de la riva? none of these things are descriptive at all.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Siivola posted:

Can't believe I made such a gaff. :v:

TKD has sick highlights nothing wrong with appreciating that

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Odddzy posted:

How I understand it is that (here in Québec at least) the amateur MMA guys need a spot given by a promoter to pad their record. To get some fights they get given a bunch of tickets and have to sell them. basically, the promoter doesn't even NEED to promote as the fighter is going to be desperate and ask for everyone at his gym to come over, friends and family too. The first and last amateur MMa event I went too was super sketch. Everyone had t-shirts repping their BJJ or MMA club and lots of fights looked really fixed. An MMA guy I used to train with that retired from that racket pretty much admitted the fights were fixed in many instances.

MMA as a business really isn't much different than boxing. The economics of the fight game remain the same in both sports, and the fighters have no bargaining power.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Can anyone recommend a Judo or grappling school somewhere in the Northern Virginia area? Preferably close to Herndon/Reston

If you want to do judo train at SportJudo http://sportjudo.org/

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Great example of the 'least necessary force' theory of self defense, too. He absolutely could have disabled that guy in a permanent manner.

you just need to learn how to maintain emotional control

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My main thing I tell people when they ask about fighting is that fighting is bad and dangerous and the best self defense is to never put yourself in a situation where you have to fight.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

edit - im dumb and didn't read the thread

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The part of the video where it compared Aikido's reputation to Kendo and others was a good point - people generally don't poo poo on Kendo people because they work hard and don't talk poo poo online, and lots of Aikido folks are literally just posters.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lifting on a Judo day is very demanding on your body, and I don't recommend it unless you're already a high level athlete trying to maximize your progress and are already used to working out multiple times a day.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

the judo rules are bad. The IOC/IFJ/capitalism's pressure to monetize the sport has ruined it, just as those things ruin everything else in the known universe. I still respect the athletes who do competitive Judo, they work their asses off and are beasts, but I no longer want to put time into training/watching a sport I don't enjoy.

Fortunately, Judo is still very fun and useful in BJJ. Yes you need to learn other things too. But becoming a better more complete martial artist in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Travic posted:

TLDR: I'm having trouble learning Judo because I learn slowly in a very segmented sequential way. Learn part A, then B, then do A and B together, then C then A, B, and C together. Repeat each step until mastered. This is my first experience with martial arts so I'm starting from scratch. I'm wondering if there is hope or I'm just not cut out for Judo.

This sounds super normal for someone at 2 months. Throwing people is very hard and takes a long time to learn, requiring lots of drilling and experimentation on your part to learn how to execute the technique in a live situation. Judo is not just a series of throwing techniques in a book, it's all the little stuff you have to learn how to do in between those techniques. Moving, gripping, pulling your opponent, and manipulating their balance to setup the technique. These things require play, experimentation, and a willingness to fail in order to be learned.

Think about it this way - most olympic judo players have 2 throws that they have spent their lifetime learning to execute. yes, they know more techniques, but they only functionally use 2 or maybe 3 techniques in their practice and competition.

It will likely take you a long time to throw someone cleanly in practice, and some time more before you can do it with regularity. Being engaged and thoughtful about that practice as you are so far is the most important thing in moving close to accomplishing that goal.