Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

babypolis posted:

It's just a really good game in general it's just the balance thats bad, dont diss it goons

It's pretty to look at and the lore is nice, but very rough as an actual game. Like compared to other 4x games I find it ok, but compared to EL it's not very engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

So this thread has made me start poking Legend again and I don't have any of the expansions. I'm not sure that I want to drop the 40ish bucks on getting all of them at once, and with a new one coming out how likely are they do do a better-priced complete edition or something? If I were to get them piecemeal is one better than others? On the face of it Guardians looks to be the one but iono.

I only ever play single player, if that makes a difference.

They'll probably put everything on a sale when they put out the next xpac, that's what they've done in the past.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Tempest, which I'm beta testing (and will talk about more once I'm allowed

There's no NDA; you can talk all you like, just don't post pics or vids yet since the assets aren't finished.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I'm playing as the new faction and lol how can they have Spying. The Forgotten makes sense cuz they can go invisible and can don a disguise, as can many others.

But like the Necrophages, these guys are monsters. How would you NOT catch this dude infiltrating your poo poo lol.

Mind control.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

How do you mindcontrol and catspaw enemy areas?

It's only minor factions & pacified/dead villages; if they're in vision range you can click on them and there'll be a button in the lower-left (where Attack/Parley/etc. are).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

BitterAvatar posted:

We both control 50% of the map so controlling territories would be a slog and I'm not sure how you distinguish someone's capital to be able to take it over first.

It has a crown by the name.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I can do Sunday; normally Saturday would also be fine but I'm helping a friend move.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
GenericOctopus on steam, in the steam group as well.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
GG guys; thanks to all who were a part of the Drakken alliance against the Morgawr menace.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I can put something together something for Drakken unless someone beats me to it.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Don't suppose anyone has similar effort post insight on the Allayi.

I wanna be bipolar samurai mothbats

They're my second favorite faction so I might do something for them too.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
How to Tame Your Drakken

Why play Drakken? Drakken are a pretty great faction, one of 3 I'd consider "normal" (the others being Wild Walkers and Vaulters) in that they don't really have a gimmick, just certain unique advantages. The first one you'll notice is that they start out knowing everyone's starting locations. While a cool tactical advantage, the real great thing is that it lets you interact with every other faction right from the outset. Their second advantage is their Advanced Diarchy trait; it unlocks Empire Plans one Era earlier for you. This is a very strong early game advantage, since plan level 2 contains the 25% buyout reduction and 33% building cost reduction plans, which lets you grow cities very quickly. Your third and most unique feature is Diplomatic Pressure: the ability to force other factions into Peace, Alliance (except the Necrophage, who can never be in those states), and Truce (if at War). This is obviously very powerful, and is pretty much the defining feature of the Drakken.

Dragons sound cool, but what do I do?

Your goal as the Drakken should be to make friends with everyone while trading knowledge & resources so you can build up to a Diplomacy Victory. You could also murder people if you like, since your units & heroes are pretty great, but that's not very nice.

They follow a pretty conventional early play pattern; get settlers out as quickly as you can while maintaining a decent Empire Plan & approval, which roughly means one new city per Plan til you have 4-5 cities (by then you're probably bumping into other factions' borders). You're trying to build up a strong Influence engine; while keeping a low city count would make your Empire Plan less costly in Influence, you want to output as much as possible so you can use it to initiate trades often and utilize Diplomatic Pressure as necessary. Of course, in the early game, there's not much to research & build that affects your Influence until Era II, so just set as much groundwork as you can. As Drakken, you gain bonus influence when exploiting a tile with ruins, so plant your cities near those if you can.

Ok, pretend I already know how to play a 'normal' early game. When & how can I Dragon at people?

When you reach Era II, research Diplomat's Manse (the Peace tech) and Glory of Empire so you can get a bunch more Influence. Important to note that while you're doing all this, make sure you're also progressing your faction quest; the reward for your second quest ("Awakening") is the Aura of Leadership tech, great for boosting your Influence output and not difficult to get. You should also be leveling your hero and putting points in Narrative Master for more influence. Propose peace treaties to as many factions as you can; be mindful of your Empire Plan, but the faster you make Peace with everyone the more points you accrue toward the diplomatic victory.

Maybe now would be a good time to explain the Diplomatic Victory?

Alright, without getting too bogged down in numbers, everyone gains Diplomacy Points at the end of the turn depending on their relationships with other factions; the better the relationship, the more points. You also gain Diplomacy Points based on how much Influence you spend when proposing a treaty that the other party can choose to accept or decline (so declarations like Force Peace or Close Borders don't count, since the other party has no say in the matter). Like the Economic victory, there's a target number of points you need to reach to win, determined by the game speed. Everyone gets an alert once you've hit 75%, and again at 90%. Because Drakken see everyone from the start without scouting and can start proposing (or forcing) peace to everyone pretty early, they can get an early lead on points via trade proposals and heightened relationship statuses.

Neat. So just make alliances and propose trades and eventually I'll win?

Basically, but there's more to it than that. Remember that they have to accept the proposal; the AI might let you get away with spamming them with inconsequential treaties, but people aren't going to generally accept trading 1 dust 200 times a turn. A good thing to get used to is investing in Science and science buildings so you can trade tech. Trading technology is almost always a good thing; even if you're getting a tech you'll never use, you're putting yourself 1 tech closer to new eras, which means you're a step closer to the Hospitality Den (Era IV tech granting Alliances). So set up even or slightly unfavorable trades, because even if you 'lose' in a trade by, say, giving up 2 techs for 1, you've gained Diplomacy Points for it and are still closer to your ultimate goal.

I thought we were pushing Influence...what's this about Science?

To make it clear, you don't need to have a ridiculous science engine like Vaulters or Ardent Mages, but you will want to research and construct the science buildings while sometimes setting a few workers on Science. This combined with reasonable tech trading should get you to Era IV and alliances without much stress.

Ok, I think I get it. But if I can just Force Truce, what threats exist to draconic dominance?

We'll start with the obvious: mercenaries/privateers. They don't carry a flag so you can scare them away with a dragon roar. The good thing is that they aren't a problem until Era IV, unless there's a Roving Clans player, in which case you should consider investing in strong units to fortify territory.

The Morgawr are another problem; both Catspaw (changes pacified villages back to hostile/takes control of minor faction units) and Black Spot (let's people attack you regardless of relationship status) are pretty annoying. The only thing you can really do against the former is deny as much vision as possible so they can't flip the villages; the latter you can remove with a declaration, like the Roving Clans' Market Ban.

But the most severe threat exists in multiplayer, and that's an enemy alliance. You can rebuke one uppity faction trying to kill you, but two or more can strain your influence if they're committed to wearing you down. With Shared victories being a thing now, you can run into some interesting situations...or everyone accepts being friends with dragons and the game ends in a 6 or 8-way draw.

Can't everyone just unite against you from the beginning?

Kinda-not-really; remember, we're the only ones with perfect knowledge of the factions/players. Everyone else is in the dark unless we start a chain of Vision & Map Exchange treaties, or until they run into each other on their own. Otherwise, they'll only see each other once you start forging alliances, and by then you're pretty well along. It's also important to keep in mind that while you're quietly accruing points and trading among the other factions, they're probably building armies & fighting each other trying to pursue their own victory conditions or keep their enemies in check.

You didn't talk much about units...how much should I be fighting?

Not a lot, most fighting should be with minor factions. Even then usually just the roaming armies, it's easy enough to parley or bribe villages. If you bump into a neighbor's scout early on, you might want to kill it just to put them a little behind so you're in a better position for settling. Of course, if you're not worried about them trying to kill you later, it's fine to just wave as they walk by. You don't generally need to worry about big wars because of Force Truce (which is part of why we invest a lot in influence production).

For heroes, you're usually looking for governors, and those are generally going to be Cult or Drakken. Cult are better in general because the boosts to Influence, Science, and Dust are all very nice whereas Drakken only churn out Influence, though they can also help with happiness if that's a problem. Drakken are also really great generals with the support tree, good weapon effects, and healing.

Ok but, those Wild Walkers started building their Temple of the Earth Core...we're just gonna watch?

If Shared victories are on, then sure! Because they're more than likely your ally unless you're in a state of Truce.

Of course if shared victories are not on, or if they've broken the alliance for some reason, then you might have to figure something out. The main thing is to pay attention to other factions as the game progresses. If you see that you're getting outpaced in a "race" type of win condition (like Wonder or Economic), you might have to get aggressive; don't wait til you get a notice of impending enemy victory.

If you find yourself needing to build up a military, fear not: Drakken have great units! The only one I really want to call out though is the Ancient (Era II tech); its Shared Wisdom trait gives every friendly adjacent unit +1 Morale. Really good support, especially if you've got some assimilated ranged units to pelt enemies with a strong alpha strike. Otherwise your army construction should be fairly straightforward.

What if I want to just rampage across the world with my army of dragons?

You can certainly do that, but the trick with Drakken is that it's much easier & faster to win via diplomacy than warfare. As good as their units are, other factions are better suited to overwhelming the map through force.

Summary

Build as wide as you can while staying Content or better, have good science & influence, propose trades often, and forge peace/alliances as early as possible. It's a pretty simple affair if you're playing vs AI; vs people is a lot more engaging. They've got a really good military if you need it, and a great ability to rush Diplomatic victory if you plan & play accordingly.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Let me know if there's something folks would like addressed/something(s) you felt were missed or overlooked in that Drakken post; I figured general early game stuff is better covered by the bunch of early-game guides floating around.

Will try to put something together for the Allayi soonish, but they're a lot more complicated.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kaiju15 posted:

Anyone got tips or effort posts for Ardent Mages? I feel comfortable with just about every other faction, but for some reason I keep failing super hard with the bdsmages.

I don't frequent Mages much anymore, but that's mostly because I played them in single-player and got bored of those games always turning into rolling around with stacks of Zealots burning everything to death. The pillar/spell mechanic is a bit to get used to but they aren't wildly outside the norm as far as general strategy goes, so I'm not certain why Mages specifically would give you problems. They're quite good at jumping into Era II early to take advantage of quick access to tier 2 empire plans (as in, your first plan can include them), which is great for early expansion; try this if you haven't already, because it's a very good strategy in general.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

If we're throwing out requests, anyone got tips for the Morgw-Mogra-Mog-Murlocs?

I legit struggle trying to remember how to spell their name :downs:

I haven't played Morgawr a whole lot yet, but they're really good. Settle on the coast (their faction trait that gives them industry & science on water makes for pretty consistent starts), try to seize as much of the ocean as you can because your Vores & later Leviathans dominate the ocean early game (although Roving Clans boats are also scary). Parley with the Fomarians first to see if they give you easy quests, eat them if they don't. Don't neglect settlers/expanding on land in your lust for oceanic conquest, but if you can take the oceans quickly and maintain control, you'll be drowning in all kinds of resources.

Still working on Allayi stuff, I'll leave the Morgawr effort post for someone else.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Wait, what? Weren't all other races supposed to roll with the same generic naval capability?

Chocolate Chunk posted:

They do. But mercs bought from the marketplace get extra boosts from the Roving Clan's abilities. So the same ships that everyone has are +1 for the Roving clans.

The Era I boat (Boarding Vessel) also comes with the Boarding Party trait, which converts X% (tier 1 starts at 30%) of remaining life into bonus damage...and RC mercs get 2x health.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

And since approval doesn't affect Dust generation, you can expand or capture all you want and not care.

Empire Approval affects Science and Dust.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

Well then, I've been educated. I always thought it never hurt Dust (or Science, for that matter) since it doesn't show up when I mouse over a city's mood, but now I know!

To be clear/to add to what HundredBears said, the tooltip you're referring to is related to just that city's approval; the Empire screen shows your empire's overall approval, and mousing over that will show the dust & science bonuses or penalties.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I've been experimenting with the Allayi a little bit. While I recognize a Guide would be asking a bit much off the cuff, does anyone have any recommendations on how to build their Heroes? At the moment I'm guessing they're better as combat leaders than Governors, and as such I should focus on the Faction tree but what elements?

I'm still chipping away at a more in-depth thing on the Allayi in free time (apologies to anyone who was expecting that in a timely fashion, there's a lot unique to them to explain), but their Heroes tend to be (really good) generals; however ,the pearl cost reduction can also be really nice to have around when you're building Garths. So yea, follow the faction tree, and depending on what you're using the hero most for at the time, go toward Coupe de Grace or follow the line up toward Inspirational Leader.

Also, unrelated to your question, but the best thing to internalize about the Allayi are how amazing and essential the Skyfin is in every respect. Build as many as you can because they do so much for you.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Bogart posted:

Hey, I ended up never using these codes. Sega strategy games. Free for a goon home. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3zgWdK9rXr0RmNIX1ctZUk2c3c

Grabbed Echoes of Auriga, tyvm!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Blisster posted:

On a related note, how the hell do you play the Allayi effectively? I feel like unless I get really lucky with luxuries early I just get stomped by bigger empires. And seekers are great for searching ruins and such but absolutely garbage at actual combat. I have been watching SB on youtube and his Allayi series is 5 times longet than any of the others due to multiple losses, are they just weak?

They're weak in the sense that it's harder to do well with them than a lot of other races; their early growth is purposely stunted, which means they have a harder time getting a snowball rolling. That said, if you build Monks & Skyfins you'll have a really potent military, which you'll need because even if you pursue the Quest victory you'll need to capture 3 enemy cities to satisfy their last faction quest.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I've been having fun with the Riftborn and the UE, but just tried my first game with the Unfallen and good lord they're amazing. Their early game growth just rockets them ahead; fastest & easiest 4x win I've ever had.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Speedball posted:

So how exactly does the wonder victory work this time?

You unlock the wonder structure after reaching the last tier of the Empire Development science quadrant. Then build 3 of them to win.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Node posted:

I've been afraid to ask this, but is the AI in this game... bad?

They're bad at trying to win outright, yes. Amplitude was more concerned with trying to make the factions behave certain ways, instead of trying to make the AI compete with the player(s); the higher difficulties just increase the AI's FIDSI output, not their strategy.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How is Endless Legend?

The AI itself isn't great at trying to win. It tries to make different factions act in certain ways rather than be competitive; higher difficulties just give them more resources/growth. They'll still fight you & whatnot, but if you know what you're doing you generally won't have a hard time getting the win eventually.

That said, it's very fun since most factions have the means to effectively pursue alternate victory conditions, which sets up nice asymmetric gameplay. Diplomacy/Science/Economic/Questing/Wonder victories are not only viable, but easier to pursue than outright conquest depending on faction.

There aren't tech "trees"; the techs are just separated into eras, and as you research more you unlock later eras. Within an era, you research whatever you like, there aren't pre-reqs. The units you build start at higher levels based on what era you're in, so any kind of progress will passively help your military even if you don't research those sorts of tech.

Diplomacy involves the use of a certain currency (Influence); you spend this currency to make deals, form alliances, etc. You also use it to set your Empire Plan every few turns, essentially using your Influence for empire-wide bonuses (the costs of which scale up based on how many cities you have). You earn points toward a diplomatic victory by having peace treaties, alliances, and making deals which other empires accept.

City management isn't too involved; as your city's population grows, the city will output more resources based on how you assign them (so if you want more Science, you put more people in the Science column). You have a construction queue for building things you've researched, training new units, etc. Aside from that, you expand a city by building more districts in nearby hexes within that city's region.

"Wonders" basically come in 2 flavors (and are only present with the Guardians expansion): one-of-a-kind buildings you construct in a city, and unique buffs you acquire by completing certain objectives (like "20% Initiative Boost on Empire" for being the first to win 10 battles). The Wonder victory doesn't involve these; that win condition involves constructing one very expensive structure once you've completed your faction's personal quest-line.

I like EL much more than ES2, though I've still found the latter enjoyable. It's definitely a lot better with the expansions, so if you can catch those during a sale they're worth grabbing. Naval stuff basically doesn't exist without Tempest, Shadows introduces the espionage subsystem (and a faction built around it), and Guardians bolsters the core gameplay quite a bit with bonus objectives to complete for bonuses and the eponymous units. Shifters enhances the Winter aspect of the game a bit; while it's neat and I like the faction it adds a lot, it doesn't affect the game quite as much as the others (still good to have, but probably not before grabbing the others).

Something to point out too is that only the host of a multiplayer game needs the add-ons; everyone joining the session gets to use them during that game, so it's a nice way to try them out.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

It would almost make more sense to push them out to a new tier by themselves

They basically are, the science cost to research the victory techs are huge compared to everything else.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I mean, they sort of are, but my point is that since they're on the same tier, you're making a choice between investing in them and investing in something else on that tier. If the science win researches were all on tier 6, and you had to put X amount of research into tier 5 stuff before they became accessible, then you would have an actual reason to use some of those tier 5 techs. As it stands, researching any tier 5 tech means you're making a decision between empire improvement and winning the game. That's a weird choice to put in your game.

By the time you've completed the research necessary to win the Science victory, you (or someone else) probably could have (or has) won via another victory condition, meaning instead of wasting turns on the "winning" techs, you could be putting that towards tech that's actually useful til you meet another win condition. Winning via Science right now is pretty slow.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Annath posted:

Is there a good intro or let's play for Endless Legend?

I love the look of the game, but it's incredibly dense on mechanics and systems.

Play the tutorial if you haven't already; I found this guy helpful for understanding the game a while back. It's an old lp but it covers the basics well, you'll probably get the gist in the first video.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

I am giving Endless Legend a go. Currently doing the tutorial and I like what I see so far, though the battle system is...interesting. Any recommendations for a faction to try once I get started? Also do I remember seeing something about specific earlier in the thread about things to do to help deal with early roaming armies and absorbing villages or something?

Wild Walkers are both the best newbie faction and one of the best factions, period; their huge Industry output gives them huge snowball potential.

Drakken can force truce/peace/alliance, and being able to interact with and see all other factions from the first turn opens up the game in a big way.

The other factions all have interesting gimmicks/tools that alter the game in significant ways, much more so than in ES/ES2 imo. Certain factions just have weak starting units and some minor factions are just tougher to deal with.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

I...uh...how do I build a road?

edit: Oh, Imperial Highways tech?

Yea, once you build it in a city it'll automatically set up the most profitable routes. You can make them more profitable by entering trade agreements with friendly empires.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

I built the Highways in a city and it still has 0/2 routes. I can see the roads branching out to the other cities I have adjacent. I've tried clicking around but this kinda thing is the typical Endless game stuff with an unhelpful UI and zero explanation.

What Spanish Matlock said can also be seen in-game on the Empire Management screen; the tool-tip appears when you mouse over "Trade Routes Income." Poor placement but it'll show everything Matlock listed there.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, so I cant have trade routes within my own empire? Thats great, because the AI near me wont sign Peace deals even if I offer them 1000 dust, the ten technologies I own that they dont, and all of my commodity and strategic resources.

You can, but both cities need the structure built. If only one has it, roads will start to form but that just makes travel easier for your units.

LOL okay so the AI army that is sieging my town can pull reinforcements to the battle I initiate to lift the siege....from his militia garrison in an adjacent region, but I cant?

Before engaging in a battle, you can see a preview of what hexes will be used for the battleground; if other armies/cities are in that zone, they're eligible to reinforce.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
He's using a custom faction that doesn't even have conversion; he's getting those sky-high starts from custom traits.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

There starting melee units feel stupidly weak. Am I supposed to just ignore them and get better ones or is there some equipment trick for them?

You can equip them with an off-hand axe to get an extra combat trait (no cost to retrofit), but yea, the Forgotten military is pretty weak. It gets better once you progress through the faction quest and can equip your heroes with the Shadowstrike/Shadowguard swords.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

first game of Endless Legend as Wild Walkers went ok, think I was on track for a science victory but had it on 300 turns and the Roving Clans decided to buy their way into a score victory. Reloaded to turn 250 and trying to grind them down by killing their cities, but it seems like a losing battle at this point. Do they kind of just do that if left alone? I was probably spreading myself too thin with science, building and military.

e: ffs i just realised i could upgrade military units

The Wild Walkers' big strength is their massive amounts of industry; focus on your faction quest so you can unlock the building required for the Wonder victory, then build it for a quick & easy win.

Helion posted:

talk to minors so you can start romancing them asap.

Phrasing!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Like how do I know if I am at a so-called planet limit. I know in Stellaris it's shown on the ui easily

The Empire Summary screen shows your empire's approval and the number of systems you have/the number you can reach before taking penalties.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yea, everything Amplitude is on sale to celebrate their anniversary (except the ES2 Vaulters content that just released).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Looks like the Endless games dont run on Linux? The games' pages on Steam only show Windows and Mac OS but I figure it cant hurt to check if anyone knows otherwise?

Not without Wine. They were working on Linux compatibility but abandoned that when it was taking too many resources/too much time.

Source (the quote is from Amplitude's CEO, from their old forums).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Serephina posted:

Don't the quests start on turn2 always? Just wait one turn before leaving.

Krinkle posted:

Quests start on turn 5.

It varies with game speed.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Overminty posted:

I don't think you even need to do that, just you meeting a victory condition while in an alliance means the whole alliance wins iirc.

This is how it worked for Endless Legend; ES2 makes everything scale. It'd make more sense if the target number (for techs/wonders/etc.) went up for the alliance but each individual faction needed to contribute less than if they pursued the victory themselves (like requiring 1-2 wonders per alliance member instead of 3). At the moment there's no reason to stick around once you know you've got the individual win secured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I hope they just make 'espionage' an exclusive ability of the new faction, rather than introduce a whole subsystem for it.