Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is there a title for that job? I like to think it should be Loresmith.

E: No, Lorelord

Druid? I think Druidism is where the word "Lore" is derived from. No joke I met a person in a pub once who claimed to be some sort of pagan type and they were lamenting how the word LORE has entered the popular lexicon to refer to a bunch of cheesy game stories. I think it was raised when someone was talking about DC comics LORE.

At least Bethesda have a suitably appropriate dude as their LOREMASTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

He is "Rob" from Explorminate, a 4x focused website that's been around for a couple of years. You absolutely cannot trust him for impartial opinions as I think he has also now involved in developing a faction for Endless Space 2 via the community participation stuff. I also believe he is paid by Stardock Studios now to promote their games. He also seemingly moderates the 4xgames subreddit, as these LP videos are posted on there by, I assume, himself.

I listened to their weekly podcast during my cycle to work and its pretty good, if a little samey (not a lot of 4x games or news about them). He left though for *reasons*, which doesn't really hurt the podcast as he frequently would smugly talk about VIP access and how he knew so many things he couldn't divulge.

He seems like an OK guy aside from skirting a fine line between fan, press and paid promoter type positions.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 5, 2016

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Clarste posted:

Also, well, honestly I've always found the Endless Legend tech icons harder to parse, personally. I mean, I can see how having less of them to deal with at once makes things simpler, but it's not like the icons themselves are any clearer.

I agree, apart from a vague notion of colour telling me what the tech is I still haven't really learned which is which tech after ~ 40 hours playing Endless Legend. But at the risk of being "that guy" I would like to put forward that part of me actually likes how hard the game is to parse, it almost adds another immersive element that you are interacting with this crazy alien world. I know it sounds stupid but it draws me in having to read all the tech descriptions to find out what the hell they are. Endless Legend is a game that absolutely revels in its theme and part of that is all this esoteric poo poo. I feel it would lose something of itself if it were to have say "banks" with £ sign icon instead of "dust dredger" with whatever crazy thing it has.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Isn't there an achievement for that - science with Forgotten? I haven't played as them yet, but I just picked up the Shifters and Shadows DLC packs on the cheap. I always end up a couple behind these days as its more economical and gives the developer time to patch out any mess ups. I am looking forward to Tempest already sometime next year :I.

My first game as the Allayi has gone.. poorly. I lost my initial army and expanded too quickly and realised the Allayi are not good at that at all, especially as their quest step early on is to be fervent. Difficult when you are at 35 %...

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

IAmUnaware posted:

The Allayi have a pretty rough time early. The seekers are great for exploring and getting you a ton of ruins and stuff quickly, but honestly they might be the worst non-support unit in the game, at least in light form, and as you noted approval is really tough. You basically have to get through that step of the faction quest before moving past two cities, and you definitely have to prioritize sewers highly. Remember to prioritize food enough to get some quick population, because the garths are really, really good. Also, while seekers suck, monks are actually really great, so try to get to those before making any military moves.
Tempest gives them a bit of a boost because they can start getting quests from the ocean fortresses really early, which (depending on quest RNG) can end you up with a LOT of strategic/luxury resources.

Thanks for the tips! I managed to move past that stage of the quest as you said, with the sewers and buying them out in my city to get the approval up before my luxury spices expired. The next bit is now tough because it requires some luxury extractors, of which there is only the spices in my area. Part of my troubles are that the map script I went with has few luxuries and there are a lot of tough minor factions about.

One amazing realisation for me was that if you pacify a village via a quest and it wasn't razed before you get all the villagers as pops. I pacified a Kazanji village and got + 3 workers in my 1 pop expand immediately. It was so useful.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

ssmagus posted:

Morgawr affinity is not losing your move points when embarking.

Ah Aurigan Polynesia...

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

While I wouldn't articulate it like that I semi-agree with the idea. Firaxis have that whole shoddy as gently caress release but don't worry it will be fixed in 2 expansions time thing down to an art. See everyone realising that the AI in Civ VI is pants and the game is clearly frontloaded for the first ~ 200 or so turns with stuff. I'd place money now on Renaissance ex pack 1 and Modern ex pack 2. This is despite the "it will be complete out of the box" lines they kept pushing.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

At least they didn't cut out religion with the excuse that it doesn't fit the gameplay this time.

I remember that was the big marketing push that Religion was there from the get-go while coughing loudly anytime someone mentioned the late-game world council and ideology stuff. There is just something so lazy and formulaic about how Civ is made and marketed. There were these videos coming out each week with the leaders and what they can do and its all just the same poo poo repackaged as something new. This week its Peter of Russia who can get more land on his settled cities, or the Shoshone from Civ V. This week its Norway who can embark from turn 1, or Polynesia from Civ V. The list goes on. The marketing push for Civ VI actually made me less interested in buying it over time which was cemented by the early access Youtube content from the usual suspects. Watching these streams it has become obvious no-one at Firaxis has the no idea what they are doing when they design these games, or they don't care because it will sell a bunch anyway. In Civ V getting salt starts was huge because the tile gave you food and hammers and gold. It was ludicrous in MP games. In Civ VI spices and bananas are the same. This is without mentioning Sycthia who get 2 for 1 on horse units which can also heal upon killing an enemy. I like a bit of asymmetry in my games, which is why I like Endless Legend so much, but with Civ VI they just haven't sat down and objectively looked at the things they were implementing and its so obvious.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Fangz posted:

Amplitude was interviewed in the latest Three Moves Ahead podcast.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/amplitude-studios-and-the-endless-series

I started listening to this on the cycle into work today, its pretty good but hilarious that the host had no idea that Sega had partnered up with Amplitude. Come on dude you are supposed to you know Google the company before the show. Also he apparently savaged Endless Space 1 on an earlier episode of the podcast which the Amplitude guy listened to before this one, the host couldn't remember it so its a tad awkward.

The interviewee has some interesting stuff about how hard it is to tie narrative aspects into a 4x game, I recommend listening to it.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

That's cool but I assume it doesn't stand a chance against the hordes of Total War fans.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Perfect timing as I just started playing EL again this week and was hoping to get Tempest when a sale came about.

I realised one of the most annoying things in this game is that sometimes the quests don't take into account the world generated. For instance in my most recent game I decided to try to do the Roving Clans main quest as my "win condition". After a few fairly easy quests in the game tells you to place your cities such that they are "harvesting" 7 anomalies. Now I found that the default world gen populated the map with too much stuff for my personal tastes so I have tuned down the number of anomalies to low. I don't think I have actually found 7 anomalies on the map and so the main quest is totally stalled for me. Its just one example, but I have often found the quests are impossible to complete in this game. A shame because everything else about it is amazing.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The soundtracks for Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 are absolutely incredible. I would go as far as saying they basically make the games for me.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Azran posted:

If my biggest criticism of Endless Legend was the fact that the AI was really bad and the combat system was really obtuse (stopped playing before the expansions came out), will I enjoy ES2?

If my first attempt at a game is anything to go by you will hate it. The pirates are numerous and dumb. The combat system is incredibly obtuse, more so than EL in my experience. I was getting trashed by pirate ships, despite the balance being massively in my favour, with no real indication as to why. The pirate ships after beating my fleet then spent 20 turns flying back and forth across the same star-lane thing, making no attempt to capture / siege my planet.

My first game is going really badly. I can't seem to tech up my ships fast enough to beat these pirates. Even though they aren't engaging my planets they attack my ships and I can't expand out. I unlocked attacker and defender hulls to no avail as the pirates are super powerful now.

There is so much going on in this game its insane. Hoping that once I get to grips with it all I will enjoy it, as was the case for Endless Legend, where initially I hated the combat but grew very fond of it over time.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

After starting a Forgotten game recently and then abandoning it in what you term "Era II hell" I cannot thank you enough for this guide. I was just about to write them off as a playable faction for me. Now armed with a print out of this post, I shall give it another shot.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Probably yeah, drumming up interest and or setting up some story stuff. EL2 would probably need to be set on Auriga or somewhere very similar so they'll need to do some soft retconning I guess

Could be that they are hiding underground and will re-emerge in the future post-ES2 and some Endless Technology has rejuvinated the planet (Sowers?!). This expansion could offer an alternate ending state where you go DEEPER to survive.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I mean more from a "If we make this EL expansion and no one buys it, we probably should not invest in EL2", but those are also good points.

If it is something about Inferno I could see it being their attempt to stop the Ice Age from happening in the first place, or something.

I am fairly sure this is a way to drum up hype for a soon to be announced EL2. They are pretty committed to the Endless universe and it seems like a logical next step for them to go with. Preventing the freezing over of Auriga is an interesting notion though. I wonder how it would fit in mechanically, if you were the Allayi and the winters were prevented, you would be screwed.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Fair enough. I dont know the numbers on EL and its expansions or how much building EL2 would cost so that was just a shot in the dark.

I think I read that Endless Legend was well over a million copies sold. They also became part of SEGA so I guess they have a decent financial backing to do stuff and it always seems like sequels are the safer bet, especially with 4x games.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Playing as Vaulters on EL in the RPG and a Craver nest fleet hits the planet. Yeaaaah.

Any news on the new expansion?

I think a trailer and information is going to be released this evening. I got a tweet from them about a Twitch stream at 4.30 pm GMT

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Here you go my dudes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxGrgsZo8c

quote:

Meet the new guys in town.
Rescued from the brink of extinction after the invasion of their home world by Sowers, the Kapaku were evacuated by the Concrete Endless and sent to Auriga. They were promised a new beginning on a new planet, but discovering the true intentions of their saviors will pit them against both Auriga’s current denizens and the dark remnants of the Dust Wars. They are tinkers and inventors, a race of craftsmen with powerful bonds to earthen energies. Small in size, their resourcefulness and skill led them to create powerful stone golems to use as laborers and soldiers.

The Kapaku are a new race uniquely suited to the Volcanic Terrain, able to thrive off it where other races would struggle, and their symbiotic relationships with their golems allows them to exploit more resources more efficiently, fueling their machinery to turn Auriga into a new Volcanic Paradise. They can exploit the new terrain much better than any other faction, as they are capable of eating the toxic lichen and ashes that would fell other races and their complexion is well suited to the suffocating heat. They require large amounts of strategic resources to use their abilities to their fullest, and must invest them wisely. They also possess unique knowledge of the Dust Eclipses, granted by the Endless themselves.

Amplitude blog post about Inferno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qe05XP5VFY

Amplitude blog about Supremacy

quote:

The Hissho are back, ready to kick rear end and take names!

Tempered by steel and battle, the Hissho evolved from avian ancestors on their Home Planet of Uchi. Focused on the constant wars between their own tribes, they lived ignorant of the different species roaming the galaxy until they were picked up by the Endless, augmented and then quickly put to the test as gladiators fighting in the decadent arenas of their new masters. How long this period of mindless slaughter for the pleasure of their overlords lasted, none of them could say, and of this bygone age only memories of slavery and exploitation remain, along with those of glory and adulation.

quote:

This will be available next week on August 2nd.
Endless Legend Inferno with the discount is available HERE for pre-order for 11.69 € /$ 11.69 / £ 9.89 (-10%)
A bundle of both Endless Space 2 Supremacy & Endless Legend Inferno (HERE) is available for pre-order for 20.78 € /$ 20.78 / £ 17.58

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 26, 2018

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

The new Endless Legend expansion is made by the guys who rebooted Master of Orion, which I found to be milquetoast and uninspired. I'll probably still get it, but I'm less excited now.

The blog post on G2G elaborates more on the mechanics of the expansion, it seems more inspired than you might expect. My immediate read is that it is trying to make the late game more interesting.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Inferno Screenshots from Steam:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Det_no posted:

In case people missed it:

https://amplitude-freeweekend.com

Time to play to unlock stuff again, beginning with the sexy as hell Craver Prime skin.

Nice, I really like the Riftborn redshifted skin. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend to DO MY PART. Unfortunately here in the UK it is like 31 deg and my poor PC sounds like it is about to take off when anything more taxing than Chrome is used.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Very interested in multiplayer however I am in the UK and often struggle to sync times with most goons.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I would love to MP, but live in Australia, and am part of Endless' core demographic of 30something dads with jobs...

This comment resonates (though, not quite a Dad yet).

Avasculous posted:

3. mitochondritom

Please reply with what times (and in what time zone) work for you. Think 3-4 hour block.

I would say anytime during the week 19.00 > 00.30 BST (British summer time) which is 11.00 > 16.30 PST and at the weekends I could be more flexible say 06.30 > 02.00 BST albeit not in one huge stretch!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Its a shame that there isn't a PBEM mode like in Age of Wonders III, though my experience with those has always been fairly poor with lots of flakes. Currently, either of the Saturday options are great for me.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Great, looking forward to it. My Steam Id is circovirus.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

My body is ready

Indeed, I am also around.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I got the PM. Gonna hang around the Blackjack and Hookers channel. Dibs on Vaulters or Metz, otherwise I babyrage quit and waste everybody's time.

Sorry, I do not have PM functionality. What is the Blackjack and Hookers channel?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I managed to get on the discord and have messaged you in it. Cannot find anyone on Steam for some reason!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

The call has been made, the lobby has been created.

Its over, after a few rough starts we managed to get a whole game in. After an isolated beginning as the Vaulters, I was eventually swarmed by Necrophages who had previously devoured Kirby and Avasculous.

After the MP game I have mixed feelings about the new volcanic terrain. In our first attempt, I spawned as the wild walkers and was immediately knackered as I was surrounded on all sides by foodless volcanic terrain. In the second game I put off settling the volcanic terrain as the Vaulters because it had no food, but crucially it had the only source of titanium which resulted in a lot of delays to getting my Science buildings up and running. Just as the Kapaku can volcanoform normal lands, I think there is room for a tech to fight back and terraform the volcanic terrain.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I enjoyed the game we had, alas next weekend is my partners birthday and her family are all up so I won't be available. The weekend after should be good for me though.

In other news, I finished my first single player game as the Kapaku and really enjoyed how their story quest series progressed. I was not expecting the "twist" after the reveal trailer and the talk of fire and burning. The Kapaku turn out to be chill dudes who realise that the Endless were assholes for moving them to Auriga and take measures to ensure they do not become a sower-apocalypse on the lands. The final step involves building a museum to preserve all the native cultures and memories of the life on Auriga to stand the test of time.

Now I have decided to attempt to win with the only faction I have never really played from the original release, the Roving Clans. I have always struggled with these guys, but I am going to try for a diplomatic victory to avoid having to use mercenaries.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Amplitude are so loving cool you guys

Yea, this. I like how they are always trying to do something different and new. They could have just put spies in and let you steal a tech every X turns, but it never is with these guys.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The important question is: will there be more FlyByNo tracks in the DLCs?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Yea an 11 minute tutorial video to explain the battle system and some tips isn't too big a deal. Especially when a game of Endless Space 2 takes about 3 hours or something.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I would thematically expect nothing less of Horatio.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

I would thematically expect nothing less of Horatio.

Not to double post, but I won a steam-key for something Endless related on the Amplitude stream the other day. I actually had to leave just after I won it to attend my daughters nappy (seriously) and so I missed exactly what it was that I won. I already have everything so I cannot redeem it and so dear Goons, I will pass it on to you. To avoid key scrapers just remove the non-capitalised letters.

TA0CT-4KMezariXVodyanoi-X6X59

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Out of interest, what was it?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Id read a SSLP of Endless Space 2 for sure. Sometimes watch SB on YouTube, he does a good job of showing off the game.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Has anyone else noticed that the Vodyani and Lumeris races have the wrong names? Like they should have the opposite ones. The Vodyani are beings of light and are ultra religious and so Lumeris fits them. The Lumeris are gangster frog dudes and so they would fit Vodyani, which seems to be derived from Vodyanoy who are Slavic frog monsters. The Wikipedia entry for Vodyanoy could be a screenshot of a Lumeris from Endless Space 2 and noone would bat an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Yes it was Perdido st Station and also the Witcher 1 that made me twig that something was awry. I have decided with no evidence at all that early on in development some wires were crossed and it just got stuck that way, either as a joke or by accident. I can't reconcile that its a coincidence at all.

An Amplitude made China Mieville Bas Lag game would be interesting. Actually any Bas Lag game would be.