Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have 98 hours in Dungeon of the Endless and have yet to beat it a single time. It is a good game but rock hard. I refuse to play on very easy because it is beneath me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Speedball posted:

Hah. You know that the game's so-called "Easy" mode is really its hard mode and it's just the developers mocking you with a label? (though there's a module that makes things even harder)

Oh, I know. I just prefer my roguelikelikes to be the sort that kick me right in the goolies over and over which DotE does with aplomb. At this point I'd feel like I was cheating if I beat it on very easy.

My other Endless story: The Horatio in ES1 have a disadvantage that makes their ships cost more. It used to be called 'anti-expansionist' or something which made 0 sense because they're an expansionist race. I, me personally, suggested on the official forum they change the name to 'The price of beauty' because they seem like dudes that would spend a lot of time installing golden doilies in every corridor. This is my greatest game development accomplishment. :smug:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 15, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

So this thread has made me start poking Legend again and I don't have any of the expansions. I'm not sure that I want to drop the 40ish bucks on getting all of them at once, and with a new one coming out how likely are they do do a better-priced complete edition or something? If I were to get them piecemeal is one better than others? On the face of it Guardians looks to be the one but iono.

I only ever play single player, if that makes a difference.

E: looking at the bundles, there isn't even a dlc-only one. They all include the base game. Maybe I should wait for tempest and see?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 23, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Lunsku posted:

If you're willing to jump the gun now, Humble Store has their sale going on over the weekend and Endless Legend is up. Base game + Guardians + Shadows at about 20 €, dunno how much in bux. Shifters not around at all for some reason.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/developer/Amplitude%20Studios

Nice! Thanks. < $4 for Shadows (I get 10% from the humble monthly) suits me better than $13. I'll wait on the rest for a bit but that was about what I was looking to drop for some more systems to fiddle around with to tide me over until Tempest.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

I tried playing cultists, but they seem kind of bad. The first attempt I couldn't even create a city first turn that had six free spaces around it. I reloaded, but they still seem kind of RNG dependent. All the nearby villages were on the border and only harvested four spaces. The minus ten gold per village is brutal early. They're not even mentioned in the OP. Are they just bad?

Cultists are borderline overpowered but yeah initial city placement is critical. More than any other race, if your starting area is absolutely terrible remember that you can settle and salt while making your way to a new province. You'll still be falling behind a little but you can settle, stick the citizen in science or dust, and queue up salt and not lose THAT much besides a turn of growth and production. Edit: I'm an idiot that has only played cultists like once, see below. You should always be doing this with settlers in general while you move them to a good spot, there's absolutely no penalty for it.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 29, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

bewilderment posted:

Felt bad that I couldn't do the quest all the way to the end because I had absolutely no means of acquiring Hyperium, though.

Research Imperial Currency in T2 and you can go to the market for all your resource needs. F8 once you have it researched. Mercenary market in T1 gets you the heroes and armies section. Note that if there's a Roving Clans player in the game he'll get a cut of everything you spend (and can block your access until you spend a pile of influence.)

I've been playing a lot of Allayi recently and just can't seem to get them working well. Any particular tips? The expansion penalty is killer, very easy to get boxed in by T2 and overwhelmed.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Would you mind giving a rundown on the minors and how useful they are? I ended up with three in my Ardent Mages game - the hydras, who I recruited mainly for their units, the Harmony, who I grabbed for their assimilation bonus, and the Sisters of Mercy because I had eight villages of them in my territory.

This is good, it's just on the units and not the assimilation bonus though. Depending on who you're playing that's the most important sometimes (like, Broken Lords and Delvers get along like gangbusters.):

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Early access for ES2 is fine, but it's not a complete game yet by any measure. Based on Amplitudes track record, there's no reason to believe that they won't complete it, so if you liked EL or ES1 and think you'll eventually want to play the next 4X iteration, it's probably worth picking up cheap for now and then sitting on it (I'm assuming it will go up in price on release).

Nthing for the eighth or so time. We all may regret saying this in a year but I grabbed EA just on the strength of their prior catalog -- I haven't played any of the other ones for less than 90 hours (yeah, that includes Dungeon). But as of right now, ES2 is very much not there yet and there are various obvious gaping holes they need to slot systems into. I've put in maybe an hour just to noodle around and check things out but I have no intention of trying to play a full game until at least the second major update they have planned.

I love the soundtrack, at least! It has a majestic-but-sorta-sad tone that Legend hit right on the head too.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 26, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Overminty posted:

Their ships are more expensive than normal, because they have to be beautiful,

You're welcome. :smug:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 19, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Is ES2 good yet? All the early access LP's I've seen make it look ok but still with a lot of show-stopping bugs and unbalanced/broken features.

No. The next update (with that new faction) is due March 23rd and will be adding a bunch of stuff, and according to their early access roadmap there's only the 'release' update to go after this one. Basically, we should be nearing complete as of the end of this month but who knows what new bugs we get. Perils of EA.

I'm not down on it or anything, it's just not done yet. Pretty, though!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I could see if it was a choice between +50 food and +10 influence maybe (I'd still go influence) but dang. Am I missing something ?

You're playing UE so influence is really useful for them. Other races need other things.

I'm talking out my rear end here because I'm waiting for release to actually play my first real game, but I think it's a pretty valid guess based on how EL works -- the races are radically different and all their their fortes. UE's is influence.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Yeah, the 'known issues' section is worth noting, just to be cautious of a few things:

quote:

Final Reward of the Rifborn has no effect yet
Known issue: the AI is a bit reluctant to fight against Arks in early/mid game
FPS drops drastically during the planet destruction cutscene for a few seconds
Game session can remain stuck during the End Turn sequence while in a Pending state
The user does not receive the reward after “The cult of the strongman” United Empire faction quest is completed
Unfallen users cannot use the spaceport <- not sure what this means. Is it gamebreaking?
Several factions traits on custom factions are not functional yet
AI factions do not build carriers/large sized ships during gameplay
ENFER ship cannot be dragged into the hangar
Title staggers during gameplay in the later turns of a session
The cutscene for gas planet destruction is missing
Several bits of texts are still in English in some languages
Saves will be broken if you are saving your game during the quest "Preserve the Academy"
Narrator and faction voice over during the beginner tutorial is missing
Tutorials about battle results and blockade are not triggered
Vodyani Quest Chapter 1 new objective is to exterminate pirates which are not necessarily on their own constellation: the translation keeps the old objective hint.
Vodyani Quest Chapter 1 Part 2 Second choice will not work with custom faction
Never show the planet scanview keys when in ground battle
Planet scan view is incomplete
[MAC] The minor and major factions influence area can be seen through the fog of war

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

My other Endless story: The Horatio in ES1 have a disadvantage that makes their ships cost more. It used to be called 'anti-expansionist' or something which made 0 sense because they're an expansionist race. I -- me personally -- suggested on the official forum they change the name to 'The price of beauty' because they seem like dudes that would spend a lot of time installing golden doilies in every corridor. This is my greatest game development accomplishment. :smug:

I'd just like to say that I'm still proud of this and think of it every time I start the game but it has forced me to basically only ever play Horatio. Which is not a problem, per se.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I hope they can whack through the wide variety of bugs in this thing because as a relatively inefficient and easily satisfied 4X player some of the aesthetic and UI stuff in this game makes me want to never play another 4X. It's all just so drat slick and seamless even if I don't understand the utility of half the things I'm doing or where I'm going in the tech tree.

Someone earlier got this one and I did too -- playing Riftborn, got a random event where another race plopped down a pop unit and it over-wrote the one I had building an outpost. Whoops. Rolled back the save by one turn and it didn't happen again. :shrug:

I really like the Riftborn but they don't work quite as well thematically with some of the random event quests you get. They feel like they should be distinct enough that they get some entirely different strings and flavor text but that'd be a whole pile of effort I suppose. The main quest is great, I just mean the random one-offs.

I also want to take a moment to praise the soundtrack. Top two tracks IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeGv-QtHyaA

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM0JHl_EZJ8

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I used a slowdown rift on an opponent's outpost system nearby, giving me time to build my own colony ship, slowboat over, then use the outpost improvement that steals food to build faster than him. It's a pretty dick move on their capital, too.

On quests, I think it would be neat if you didn't have to chose your resolution right off the bat and work towards it. What if all three options were always available, you just choose one once you've met the requirements for that particular branch?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

And they need to fix ship pathing so it doesn't automatically take you through another faction's space.

There's no way to waypoint / force ships to take a direct path not through starlanes, right? My current game has a really tasty looking system that is hanging out in the void relatively close to an opponent's home world and my colony ship really wants to fly through the homeworld first which just ends up in another forced retreat.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Sailor Dave posted:

I started a new game as Riftborn on fast instead, and by turn 30 I'm not even making 100 dust with 3 colonies, maybe 10 or so Riftborn between them, and I have almost no military. I'm so busy trying to actually build up the planets

I think this is where you're going wrong for Riftborn specifically. Other races might want to build improvements but a lot of the time RB actually want to just generate pop. Look at some of the starting buildings -- Drone networks are basically an autobuild on every other race but RB don't do anything at all with the food. You're getting 5 industry for 80 invested, but another pop would ALSO gets you 5 Dust and Science for 250, plus the value of working the planet more. That's a way better value.

Public-private partnerships give 10 science and other races might get another 20 for fertile / temperate planets but fertile planets are gross so there's another bonus you probably miss out on.

Transport network sounds good but it's only a lil' better than drone networks unless you have multiple planets with strategics or have pretty full planets already.

You usually get Xeno-Industrial Complex early because it comes with the tech for mining Titanium, but it's in the same boat as public-private partnerships. +10 industry, great. +20 more for Temperate + Fertile, who cares.

Infinite supermarkets you probably want.

Lol if you research the food tech.

So out of all the level 1 tech buildings, the only one you want is the one that gives you happiness. If you happen to have temperate worlds around PPP and XIC might be worth it? But not until you're spread out a little and you're going to have to research how to colonize them anyway, which might just be a waste of time.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 24, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

One thing about tooltips -- are they missing entirely from the scan screens, or is it just me? There seems to be a lot of info there but I have no idea how to read it much less how useful it actually is.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Roshambo posted:

I want to buy Endless Legend during the steam summer sale, wondering which DLCs I should get to go with it.

They're all pretty good and add valuable content IMO. If any interest you in particular go for it but for starting out I say go this order:

- Echoes. It's 75 cents and the music in the game is amazing.
- Guardians. Honestly the main feature of this one (the guardians themselves) are a little meh but the legendary buildings / deeds add a lot.
- Shifters. The Allayi I never got the hang of -- they're really fiddly. Still, the addition of pearls to the winter make that season a lot more interesting.
- Shadows. YMMV on this one. I never tend to get much out of espionage systems in 4X games but that's probably more my problem than the game's. Because of this, I'm bad at the Forgotten and the AI ones are huge dicks that I hate seeing pop up.
- Tempest. The changes to the sea make a huuuuge difference and kind of complete the game but they might be too much to start out with? I think this DLC is the most expansion-like, in that you can play the base game for a really long time without really needing it but once you go in for it the effects cascade down into a whole game refresh.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

(Apparently it was a goon who was responsible for getting Horatio's trait of "expensive ships" renamed to the far superior "the Price of Beauty.")

I have left a true mark on the world. :toot:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER3dOPx0ZH0

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Endless Dungeon is out on Advanced Access and the regular launch comes out in about 32hrs or so. Did anyone else get this?

Came in here to ask.

IGN liked it. I'm deffo gonna pick up but getting my friend group interested might be a hard sell, 30 buckos is actually a lot when the main thing these days is 'hey this thing is free on game pass / epic let's try it'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KlWrWioWc

Hoping some streamers give it a shot.

Thread title change time?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 18, 2023