Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I wish people would stop getting the thread closed.

Here's to 5000 years of poo poo posts and awkward trip reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dave_Indeed posted:

lol, learnt.

English/Australian people say "learned" the same way poor people do in America.

Hey mates, look at this sepo with the ridiculous accent. What a drongo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Neurion posted:

The cat probably survived, cats reach terminal velocity pretty quick, and theirs is approx. 60 mph versus the 120 or so a human would reach. Survival rates are also really good the higher up a cat is, because it gives them more time to right themselves and spread their limbs out, etc.

Can't blame the guy from being bummed, though, it's a hell of a thing to do to an animal.

I can't remember where I read this, but an article indicated that the whole 'the higher up the better the cat's chances' thing came from flawed data. Basically low heights the cat just walks away (ok no surprise) and a few go to the vet, from medium heights some go to the vet and some die. From extreme heights most die and a few go to the vet and live. So the guy doing the study just uses vet data, and concludes that high altitude cats survive better because less of them go to the vet, ignoring those that are just dead and get scraped into a the rubbish.

I mean, by the 60km/hr logic you can shovel a bunch of cats out of a plane at 3000m and they'll have the same survivability as a cat that falls out of a 8 story window. Anyone have a Cessna we can borrow?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Here's to another 5000 pages of No Why.

Great final post for a GBS thread.

Ceciltron posted:

Wait, we got moved to LAN? This is gonna be awkward.

PYF or FYAD would probably be more appropriate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

max4me posted:

What does landbank mean?

First time I ever heard it either but Google says:

land bank
noun
noun: landbank
a bank whose main function is to provide loans for land purchase, especially by farmers.
a large body of land held by a public or private organization for future development or disposal.

So foreigners buying land instead of gold or other investments? Only the land just sits there or is underutilized so it's a poo poo deal for the country/people the land is situated in. Example: Vancouver's housing shortage despite there being enough housing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

quote:

...she lived in australia for three years and said "don't worry, i've seen the new office, there's nothing like that, it's ok" 

Did she really live in Oz?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tupperwarez posted:

Has anyone ever been able to ask the people who do this poo poo "What did you expect would happen?" and get an honest answer regarding their thought process?

Yeah I can't wrap my head around this one. Can you please buy liven in Australia girl lunch and not let her go until she answers this?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Imperialist Dog posted:

I just wish it weren't so predictable.

Do it anyway, when they ask why you're doing it just ignore them. Or change the subject. Or tell them it's your culture and they wouldn't understand.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

McGavin posted:

Consuming Counterrevolution: The Ritual and Culture of Cannibalism in Wuxuan, Guangxi, China, May to July 1968

"The Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region announced the expulsion from the Party of all who had eaten human flesh. But the regulations were withdrawn quickly for fear that the document would be slipped out to Hong Kong and reveal this episode of cannibalism to the world (Zheng 1993:52)."

Better not do something worthwhile if it means people will find out about it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

UltraRed posted:

Not to be the "It happens in the US, too" guy, but alot of cultures consider throwing a public fit, causing a scene, or showing anger to be incredibly childish. Americans do alot of that.

I wish people would stop trying to shoehorn Trump into every conversation.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

McGavin posted:

I have had so many free meals because of this.

How many times can you go out and take advantage of this before the person/group blacklists you?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sammus posted:

Last I read it's not entirely oxidation. Within seconds, minutes, or hours of being exposed to air the pigment starts to flake and curl up into tiny pieces as it dries. That's partially why there's still a ton of stuff waiting to be excavated that no one is touching. No one is entirely sure how to preserve it, so just leave it there until they know more.

It's probably one of the most forward thinking aspects of Chinese culture I've seen in this thread.

So pump it full of nitrogen under positive pressure and send in the archaeologists with scuba tanks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

P-Mack posted:

The quote you responded to just said it wasn't oxidation...

Pump it full of liquid, then send in the scuba archaeologists.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Didn't Taiwan steal China's history when it stole their government?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Imperialist Dog posted:

If you host a goon meet over the border should I bring my bagpipes?

Could that question ever be answered with anything but a resounding yes?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BONGHITZ posted:

tl;dr : My chinese host brother has a spy club and he reports on everything I do.

Tell everyone what he's doing. Number of shits per day. Keep an ongoing post on Facebook logging his logs.

Edit:^^ John is a good name. The only John's I know are assholes but it's a good name.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 5, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ocrumsprug posted:

From a page or two ago, but the mother of the mayor's girlfriend is currently facing the death penalty for corruption. (e: in China obviously)

Probably unrelated.

Also unrelated if the flag comes down when she gets to Canada.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Haier you should tell her to go ahead, put on some nirvana and let her rape you.

Let us know if she gives you a lofty position on her Mongolian raider skull pile.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

McGavin posted:

^ Excellent kan re nao. :golfclap:

You mean #1 China.

But yeah, I have no idea how anyone thought it would be a great idea to fly the Chinese flag over city hall when everyone in Vancouver who isn't mainland Chinese is already fairly salty about China.

I'd say anyone involved had no consideration to anyone's feelings who isn't Mainland China.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Haier posted:

FWD>FWD>FWD: HAHA, GOYS AND GOYLS, TAKE A LOOK AT THIS IMAGE MA-KA-RO!

There's a bit of cognitive dissonance going here.

Please respect 5776 years of middle eastern culture, please don't hurt Jewish feelings, you can't understand.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Krinkle posted:

Did they get a second identity for a daughter so that they could take her off the family register and try again for a son? I spent five minutes typing out the most ridiculous possible motives this, and this is the one that sharply came into focus as a possible actual real reason for this baffling thing.

So the fake daughter got two degrees and has a sweet job? The correct thing is to get all the identity papers and have them reissue the degree certificates and change the bank acount the money goes to. I mean, in this case gently caress everyone except the girl who lost her identity.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Naw see that would be appropriation and that's racist.

Actually isn't Vietnamese food inherently problematic because it appropriated French cooking techniques and dishes and made their own?

Much how China appropriated Tibet...an cuisine?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blistex posted:

We explained the following to him:

"You don't have a clue what the project is about"
"You are obviously nervous when public speaking"
"You can't really speak English"
"You can't possibly field questions posed by the professor/students"
"Also you did absolutely no work and we all had to cover for you, and we won't have time to do that if you try the same poo poo with the presentation"

Dude was super-pissed, but he couldn't really do anything about it, and got even more pissed when the Chinese-Canadian girl ended up presenting because she had a really nice speaking voice* and was really animated and comfortable in front of people. After hearing all of this, and knowing full well that he would not only be sinking the group, but himself as well, he would still rather go down in flames than admit his idea was bad and he was wrong.

Something something Donald Trump.

Are there any all western owned/run businesses in China that only employ westerners/western born Chinese people? Do they kick rear end or just get crab potted into oblivion?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It's hearing poo poo like this that makes me a) regret that I live in a small western town and also b) thankful that I don't live in a giant foreign city any more.

Please write a book: "Poorly played in China" No one will know who was being played even after they finished it. Slap a giant plunger on the front cover.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Stringent posted:

tbf lots of countries want to emulate the US

Mostly because it's powerful and rich. Sorta. And has incredible soft power as well as hard. People are getting turned off it though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Koramei posted:

I mean I find it gross too but you guys realize there's really nothing actually wrong with chewing with your mouth open right? It's just cultural differences.txt. For all the mocking of Chinese people's dumb hangups, this is basically the same thing.

e: exception being if they spit on you while they're doing it which is legitimately rude as gently caress

I guess the answer to that is it's a western thing to make fun of people who chew with their mouth open.

Also chewing with your mouth open makes noises that many people find gross. There's really nothing wrong with making low moaning noises when you walk or breathing really loudly through your mouth and i forget where this argument is going but you know what I mean.

edit:

Sten Freak posted:

Except it's disgusting. Animals chew with their mouths open. It's literally one of the things that separates man from beast, like making GBS threads I'm the open, what a shocker.

making GBS threads on warm day on the side of a hill in the shade of a large tree with a magnificent view is amazing and I don;t care if it means I'm an animal.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 13, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Apologies for any cultural insensitivity on my part. Thanks!

Few pages back but was this a Lottery of Babylon style reddit quote or a real post?

I'd he pays too little he's going to forever be branded a bad husband and a cheap rear end in a top hat, and he owes more money. If he pays too much he's a rich chump and 'can afford to give me some more'.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Baronjutter posted:

The most amazing thing about australian tourists is that they think they're actually regarded better than americans.

Australia is seen as better than America.

Australian tourists are only seen as better than American tourists when the locals haven't had much exposure to them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

caberham posted:

I hate all lower class people. Especially when they are traveling and going to trashy areas doing trashy stuff.

Actually rich people can be just as obnoxious.

Honestly I think it's just more of a numbers game. Tour groups and cheaper places increases the odds. I still remember my first time going to the empty robuchon restaurant in Macau when it first opened. It was not as well known and years ago. There were 2 other tables of mainlanders but holy smokes they look refined. It was as if I was dining in Europe with old money high society.

Everyone else were too busy throwing their money in the VIP tables and eating fast food.

Nowadays people in china ... bah why bother I'm going to stick with the juicy stories

Can we get some stories about cool high class China? There must be a few of old money classy folk who escaped the purges. Serious post.

edit:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How can a man with no personality have a cult of personality?

A black canvas is the painting you want to see.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Neurion posted:

He is just too hot. His penis must release heat, do you know?

The herp will help with that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You keep saying his name like that and we're going to get an infestation of confused North American housewives who came googling for washing machines.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Haier posted:

Whenever I see a chaat man I start singing "Chaat man," in the tune of The Police's "Roxanne." "You don't have to put on the red sauce!"

Not this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oXW_YiV6g

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
To be fair the plywood could mean the difference between life and death. If there's nothing else to use it'd slow the body down a fair bit. I say good thinking whoever's idea it was.

Probably.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Trump said China is growing at 7 percent. 7 percent people.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blistex posted:

/\ He's going to be found dead of an apparent killing by drug dealers, while the Heads of the Philippines Navy, Army and Air Force give each other knowing sideways glances.

On the off chance he wins I kinda figure the same will happen to trump a few months into his presidency.

edit: An assassin waltzes into the white house wearing a spangled stars and stripes Elvis suit while the security detail waves him through.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 21, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Would you please describe the aairiag.. Aarig.. Aghrighig...fermented milk thing as best you can? Can you get drunk on it without puking?

I tried getting wasted off lehing (sp?) in Borneo which may or may not have been milk based and it was just poo poo.

Fake edit: no it was rice based and poo poo. How could fermented milk be a good Idea?

Haier posted:

They are all on Wechat trying to add me ATM.

Go on, take one for the team.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I thought evangelism was a lovely facsimile of Christianity?

Edgy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So I'm going to a Chinese food potluck tomorrow and I want to bring something good.

Can one of the thread experts in tasty Chinese food recommend an 'authentic', easyish to cook dish that doesn't need any ingredients you couldn't find in a typical western supermarket?

Gutter oil, heavy metals, pollution etc etc hah hah hah.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sheep-Goats posted:

I doubt it was that long.

Long enough for a room full of grim faced men to drag their thumbs across their necks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

THE PWNER posted:

Don't go to Taiwan. It's the last refuge of the defeated fake Chinese. That's like going to Belgium instead of Holland.

Beers better and there's less dipshit English/American/Australian tourists getting so high man.

• Locked thread