Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Sheep-Goats posted:

BTW China is like a goblin camp from The Lord of the Rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
So I'm reading through PYF Fun Historical Fact thread when I come upon this gem,

fish and chips and dip posted:

.... ... .... there is a fun Portugese word "Desenrascanco" meaning to slap together a solution to a problem at the last minute, i.e. MacGyver the poo poo out of everything which I like to think is how they built their empire.

Desenrascanco = Chabuduo

Now I'n wondering how many cultures have one word for " Let's fix the "insurmountable problem" with a skeezy ghetto half-assed solution"

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

McGavin posted:

It's the H.A.I.E.R. system:

Have US citizenship.
Attract Chinese women.
Initiate plunging.
Encounter crazy.
Repeat.

Perfection

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

The Great Autismo! posted:

posting on page 88 of the China thread

Gaining much face

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Pon de Bundy posted:

if you tell a chinese person you think Mao was really bad and a monster, do they get very nervous they are going to get taken away by the police listening to everybody

is that a big No no

This is a big problem on Vancouver.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Blistex posted:

China should be thankful for Noodles and South African bombers.

Blistex, could you elaborate please? I sense a nugget of comedy in your statement.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Blistex posted:

During the Korean war, Mao's son was at some outpost cooking noodles in a shack when they got a warning that an air raid was coming. Orders were than everyone was to take cover in a cave-bunker when an air raid was inbound, but Mao's son pulled rank (by saying "I'm Mao's son, don't tell me what to do) and a South African A-26 napalmed his rear end.

From Wikipedia: "on 25 November at around noon, a South African Air Force A-26 bomber dropped four napalm bombs,[6] one of which hit a makeshift house near the cave, killing Mao Anying and another officer who were cooking their lunch in violation of war-time regulations of the Chinese Army."

It was believed that Mao was going to enact a Kim-style transition of power to his son when the time came, but obviously that didn't happen. In China they teach kids that Mao's son was trying to retrieve important documents, and died a hero. Chinese people who are relieved that they didn't end up with a family-run totalitarian dictatorship sometimes say, "thank god for noodles and South African bombers".

Thanks Blistex, it confirmed my suspicions.

Pure Comedy, made me laugh.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

McGavin posted:

BC has always had a significant Chinese population, and a significant history of being racist as hell to them.

Richmond was mostly white and Japanese until the 1980's. Since then it has taken in over 80,000 Chinese immigrants, mostly from Hong Kong.

The way I understood it, the prefered destination for those 80K was solely based on the name - Richmond

Baller feng shui I guess

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Fojar38 posted:

Very tempted to namechange to Ling Long Ding Dong

Do It!

You want to do this.
Of course you do.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

devil posted:

Chinese people have been aorund for 10s of thousands of years

Nope ...... even they're only claiming 5K years, and to be perfectly honest, I think they've fudged THAT number a bit.

HTH

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Grand Fromage posted:

Almost every drat day I have that fantasy. But you're just so hosed if you do it here that I've managed to mostly resist.

Why not rock with their culture?
Be one with the Celestials.
See a doorway, beeline to it not giving a gently caress when you bowl over the pack.
Why can't you just barge your way through?
You're bigger (I'm guessing) than the average n o n g
Face and No Why should keep you OK.

We've adapted in Vancouver, this Is S.O.P.

Try it, you might like it.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah but who pays for the groper club is what I wanna know.

The first rule of the Groper Club is ..........

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I hate it when you guys write a bunch of 农民 拉屎 小便 poo poo in the middle of your post and expect everyone to be able to read it. We're not all Chinese, you racist fucks.

I concur, why don't y'all give us some translations?
I don't think you're a racist, how about elitist......... don't be that person.

How am I supposed to know if this is funny or not?

I want funny!!

Stop being so coy!!

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Nope, Nong is now back in fashion.
It's that other word.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

I really want to answer this, but I'm p sure i shouldn't.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Pirate Radar posted:

People did complain, though, that posters were starting to use the word "nong" in a way that sounded broadly insulting to Chinese people* generally, not just Chinese rednecks staring at foreigners or half-assing work.

There's a difference?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
TBF, I never got Banned for typing Nong

So far

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh god. I'm Hong Kong guy now. First thing before I even get my work morning coffee, my boss is like, "Glenn​, I know it was an awkward position to be in but you really handled the problem before it became one .... We have a 9:30am call with HK. We will be doing this every Wednesday."

Hahahaha

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd like to add that this is not my primary job but an additional role I took to be an rear end kiss.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

JaucheCharly posted:

Didn't somebody post some +100 years old journals of a brit that sounded almost exactly like the standard stuff that you hear about china today?

You might be thinking about this entertaining book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ways_That_Are_Dark

The man tells a hell of a tale
What a fuckin' road trip that was.

Oh, here it is for your viewing pleasure https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015003467712;view=1up;seq=7

Even if this wasn't what you were looking for, this might do.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Blistex posted:

The only think I can think of is No Why.

FTFY

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

fish and chips and dip posted:

Having grown up during the car stealing height in Poland in the 90's I can't help but imagine that Vancouver would be fertile grounds for a car thief gang targeting the tuhaos.

Think bigger. Kidnapping is what the cool kids do nowadays.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Fututor Magnus posted:

how long does it take eating chinese street food for the gutter oil to accumulate in such a way in your system as to cause constant irreversible diarrhea?

7 to 10 days

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

No Why

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

big time bisexual posted:

that's it. sending in the troops now

https://my.mixtape.moe/gxzdkq.mp4

NATO code-name- Tiananmen

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've had this happen more than once with an Auntie calling dibs on a parking spot.

... , inching forward while laying on the horn so as to be as obnoxious as possible is incredibly satisfying.

Experienced this, I can confirm that this is solid tactic.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

P-Mack posted:

Furious at the entire Chinese nation cause my lazijiding didn't have a single loving Sichuan peppercorn in it.

This ..... this is such an astute observation.
It's a two way street, whether they like it or not.
They wanna be universally insulted, then they get universal culpability.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Oh My ... "The move is in line with President’s Xi Jinping’s plan to construct a social credit system based on the principle of “once untrustworthy, always restricted”

Sooooooooo, if Chinar was to be held to this dictum, how long do you think it would take before they become restricted.
I figure the over/under would be about 4 hours.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
You wish for them to do the needful about saying "do the needful"

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

McGavin posted:

:crossarms: Total number of journal articles, more supercomputers, largest radio telescope... :nallears:

Yep, it's a fluff piece.

It's surprising the article didn't mention anything about trains.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
I think he doesn't like being compared to an Orc.
I also have a feeling that the Orcs don't care for that comparison either.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
After reading this enjoyable melt-down, I think I got it wrong.
P P L identifies as an Orc.

I still think that Orcs are uncomfortable with that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

I smiled when I read this.

No, that's a lie ........ I laughed out loud.

Seriously though, if all that water causes a quake that ruptures the Three Gorges dam, would this possibly be the biggest chabudou ever?
Or is there even better examples of superlative Chinese Engineering out there?
Past or present, i don't care.

I know when they were building it there was all sorts of complaints and concerns about it, but it seemed a lot of hand waving and hurt feelings and ignoring the haters (and cracking skulls and forced migrations) made all those problems go away.
'till now.

• Locked thread