Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Grand Fromage posted:

They're like 90% Chinese now so this is going to crash the whole system I presume.
nah the strict majority of buttcoin whales are western, actually. this is one of the reasons why the CCP has hated buttcoin since like 2010 when their attempts to brute force their way to 51% of the mining bandwidth failed. it was loving funny as poo poo at the time, the same dumb "let's throw tons of resources and money at the problem but never follow through" thing that they've done for solar power to AI to space research to whatever else, crashed and burned like every other dumb thing the CCP does. for every country that doesn't manipulate their own currency and live in mortal fear of a financial kerfuffle starting a blood-soaked civil war cryptocurrencies pose no threat and are just another foreign currency to be handled like all other foreign currencies until they do something that makes them something more than a plain jane asset (like certain ICOs have done by offering things like voting rights). but even then, real countries can just say "okay, they're a security now and you have to comply with the law surrounding that" like the SEC did a few months ago. for real countries with real monetary policy cryptocurrencies are straight out not a big deal. fiat currencies are never going away, crypto is just slowly moving into a parallel market where it'll do a bunch of stuff that fiat currencies aren't good at (like triple-entry bookkeeping for large purchases, automatic contract execution for large, trusted systems, or administration of too-large jobs like DNS storage, etc - a lot of problems don't scale to the global stage real well just because the money behind them was never meant to be global).

this entire thing is hysterical if you're one of the few people who knows china's history of dumb poo poo and also familiar with the particulars of the crypto market. i was shooting pool with a couple BTC whales i know a few days after the news broke and the guy with the most BTC in the room was laughing so hard about it that he scratched the cue ball twice.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

The Ming is popular in western ideas but usually it seems the Tang dynasty is considered China's golden age within China. I assume Ming got big in the west since that's when extensive, regular contact began.

the ming destroyed the vibrant trade networks that made china so rich and awesome around that time and it's not arguable. like all merchants had to submit a full inventory of goods to the state monthly, and that was before the emperor failed to make a profit on an insanely decadent trade voyage that was really just an extended luxury cruise (he had a loving giraffe on the flagship junk for gently caress's sake) and forbade all external trade period because if he couldn't make a profit nobody could. the entirety of the cool stuff in the dynasty is just coasting on the lead the Song dynasty had built up.

every time i meet an otherwise educated person who thinks the ming were cool i'm compelled to point out that they're popularly considered the last great dynasty of china, and do you think that might have something to do with how poo poo they were

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

man just those two posts are so gloriously lacking in self awareness

it's beautiful

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh hey that article I wanted to post was on my mobile...
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...VJqav%3Famp%3D1
it's brilliant that they talk about zheng he in that article as a parallel for their modern day activity because zheng he was the one who hosed everything up so bad he brought an end to 'grand' dynastic rule in chinese history

what's even funnier is that the article writer clearly knows this as he explicitly says "there's some lessons for the ccp in the unvarnished version of that tale" but he's too much of a pussy to point out how loving stupid the rope trick is. zheng he did exactly the same poo poo of 'selling' on credit to people who couldn't pay while taking little in return (like the goddamn giraffe), with the idea that when they defaulted on their loans they'd just take everything of value, and this would somehow work out in the end.

anyone who thinks this is an actual route to broad ownership and power has a little catching up to do regarding 2008.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

One time a Chinese Christian church guy tried to convert me and his pitch was just asking me if I knew that heaven offered infinite riches

they don't think it be like it is but it do

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bajaj posted:

Chaoshan Girl is tapping into the universe with her psychic powers and got a hint of my old posting in the astral plane.

also mengol calls u sir even when asking for sex when sounds hot but is kinda weird when it happens irl

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the only argument you need against the one child policy and all of the brutal forced abortions and sterilizations in china is the global fertility rate graphs (and the data underlying)

https://ourworldindata.org/fertility/

tldr: the fertility rate world wide has been in freefall since the end of the post world war 2 baby boom and literally every country but china needed no coercive and inhumane tactics to make this happen (india is included, their birth rate fell off precipitously after the Green Revolution when people were a lot less worried about dying in a famine). so either chinese people are inherently broken and chinese exceptionalism is characterized by their unique ability to ignore prosperity pressures and breed themselves out of existence, and therefore require a saintly authoritarian regime to impose eugenics for their own good, or the ccp is populated by incompetent, arrogant half-wits who would happily mutilate and murder millions of people to justify their parasitic existence.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 22, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

McGavin posted:

Haha, Macau and HK fertility rates dropped to around 0.85 immediately after the 1999 handover. Nobody wants their kids to be born Chinese.

this is actually true. the UN did surveys on this phenomenon afterward and the primary response from women on why they didn't want to have kids now was that their opportunity was so much worse now that they were going to be born chinese instead of british.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Blistex posted:

Long story short, "Kill all the old people."
it's insanely funny to me to hear about the 'tiger mothers' that push their kids so hard to achieve. you hear so much about this is why china is going to beat the united states because this is the NORM for their country. then someone actually goes through the sociological data and can actually show that not only is this not correct, the reality is almost the exact opposite where an entire class of chinese kids are raised to be nonfunctional Huxleylike Epsilons from the word go, you're the racist for bringing it up because ???????

then you're a double racist when you point out the kids of tiger moms tend to kill themselves either literally or figuratively with drugs and alcohol because as it turns out emotionally torturing your children because they didn't get some arbitrary score on a test isn't a great way to prepare them for living.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nickmeister posted:

Why not just use your horn? I thought mainlanders loved 熱鬧.

he did after the collision lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's pretty bad/should probably not be legal

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Barudak posted:

An open rumor/obvious fact is the NSA buys adtech for some of their spy tools

i'm the last person you need to tell about that one

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

let's be real about something rn regarding the child protective services question on the last page: do not mistake the sheer omnipresent size of the Chinese government with any even half hearted pretense that the government gives a poo poo about helping its citizens. the Chinese social safety net, as a whole, is barely comparable to Russia's in both breadth and funding, which implicitly makes it about 20 times worse just due to the number of people involved.

the most mercenary and baldly brutally capitalist portions of the United States and Switzerland do more for the common downtrodden poor child than the ccp has ever done at any point in its history.

do not ever let yourself think for a moment that there is hope in China that comes from the authorities. hope exists there but it comes from everyone who is not in the ccp. the ccp itself exists to perpetuate itself at the expense of everyone and every thing else.

this is China. Enjoy your stay, motherfucker.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Great Autismo! posted:

post this in the China D&D thread for a rational, completely unbiased and super non-emotional response and critique of your ideas

yeah I'm dumb but not this dumb

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

Indian TCM sounds exactly as bad as Chinese TCM

in terms of how likely it is to affect a specific disease it pretty much is. there's some effective treatments but most of it won't do anything. the difference is the cultural attitude toward it. in china, TCM is regarded by a disturbing amount of the population as at least equal to and frequently better than evidence based allopathic medicine. in india, it's mostly seen as 'better than a swift kick in the rear end'.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MetaJew posted:

My GF, who came to the US from Beijing when she was a child, has had some acne flair up after the pharmacy+health insurance changed the generic BC she was getting.

This has resulted in her mother insisting she see a local TCM doctor. She refused, but eventually her mother called the "doctor", made some appointment, and then said she would pay for it. So, to prevent an argument she goes along with it.

Cut to the consultation, the TCM doc "measures her pulse" and tells her that "she has a lot of heat" in her abdomen that needs to be "cooled down". He then prescribes her a poo poo ton of herbal supplements to take, at an outrageous volume. Two bottles she's supposed to take 10 pills each, after each meal, and another bottle of pills which he says he makes himself, she was supposed to take 5-10 after each meal. I think she was told, ultimately to take something like 40-50 of these pills a day.

After looking at the bottles, and talking to her mom, we find that they are all laxatives of some form or another.

Honestly I was more worried that he was going to somehow give her antibiotics and muscle relaxers, based on what I've read in this thread.

the crazy thing here is that in the traditional interpretation of TCM biological heat, that's a correct diagnosis, and the course of action i've seen prescribed for that most often (temporary change of diet away from 'heat-inducing' foods - in "lives on this planet" terms, dairy and oils) is in fact what many dermatologists will tell you to do while your body adjusts to the new inputs. this will generally calm down your body's tendency to produce oils and make it easier to keep pores unclogged and clean. this sort of lifestyle tweak is exactly what traditional medicines are good at because that's the only loving thing they've ever had visibility to fix in 4950 of the 5000 years of history.

but naturally since traditional medicine is much less formal than allopathic medicine, isn't really subject to oversight after the practitioner graduates, and each practitioner knows they're largely above criticism, at least half of the practitioners i've ever met just do this poo poo and happily load up starry-eyed rubes with dozens upon dozens of supplements connected by some thin line of logic pioneered by a dude in a bird's mask back before anyone knew what soap was.

it's one of the things that makes me most mad about TCM practitioners. some of these teachings, if scrutinized under the scientific method, could easily be incorporated into standard primary care and bring some great techniques to practices that your stereotypical MD doesn't have on their radar at all. but the field is so dominated by bloated hucksters with a narcissist complex that any attempts like that are just going to get the party line of "white man cannot understand"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this except george takeiishly

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

even poors in india will happily go to an allopathic doctor if one is available, the trick is that outside of a large city the chance of finding one is nil. they might ALSO go to a traditional herbalist, but you won't find many people in india who would turn down a whitecoat if one's around. sharp contrast to china, where TCM has an entire Face thing going on with actual evidence based medicine and everyone believes that there's a highlander dynamic in the medical field.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

another choice one from that article:

quote:

China is racing to challenge America’s global leadership in AI technology. Beijing recently said it planned breakthroughs by 2025 and lead the world in AI by 2030. Analysts said the Chinese government aims to use the domestic market to advance made-in-China AI technologies, as the country’s 1.3 billion people would be an ample source of the vast amounts of data needed for machine learning.

apparently supremacy has been pushed back another 5 years already, since it's obvious that the local marketplace is going to be slurping a big blue dick for a while.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm going to be real with you for a second.

This girl loves you. Like really loves you. You've said all along that she hates India, hates the idea of India, hates what she thinks India will be about. She has traveled thousands of miles to see you despite all this. You are the only reason she's come.

You've said before that she's a cool person, that you appreciate that she's not the average Chinese girl, that she has an independent mind of her own.

Don't break her heart. I know your feelings on marriage and I'm not saying marry the girl, but don't break her heart.

lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why is this so common? Genuinely curious, not being sarcastic. I can certainly take a guess, but I'd like to know for sure.

is it actually common or is it a subreddit of angry incels making generalizations

i am also not being sarcastic because i immediately dismissed it as the latter

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nickmeister posted:

I'm LOL'ing at that "dragon rising" article. Since when is China a "military juggernaut?" I'm willing to entertain the notion that Trump is the heralding of America's downfall, but I can't imagine anyone who knows about China and isn't a paid shill could really believe that China would be able to fill America's shoes as the world's super power.
The psychology of those articles is really interesting.

Picking on China is largely a "well who else is there" argument. China's economy could ostensibly get bigger than the USA's (it won't, but its at least in the realm of 'not mathematically impossible' presuming you buy their GDP numbers as real, which again, they're not), and that's what people look for when talking about superpowers. India could maybe do something there given three or four decades of good governance but gently caress off if you think that's happening any time this century.

Beyond that every superpower suggestion you could muster, even the cop out of "the EU", can only be met with peals of laughter.

The reality of the situation is that if America retreats, the world is going back to a political situation that looks a lot more like the 1750s, where there's no truly global powers and regional powers dick each other over at the slightest provocation and there's no consequences. But nobody wants to admit that because to admit that is to admit that the USA does a lot of good for the world and that's anathema to half the loving planet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if it takes pressure off endangered species that you can't easily ranch i'm all for it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

Did you miss the part where they are not that easy to grow? Donkey tastes really, really good and we would definitely have more of them around if they were easy to get.

homie I grew up in a farming family I know exactly the problems involved in growing donkeys, bit compared to rhino, tiger, elephant, and the other dumb bullshit obsessions the Chinese have, donkeys are loving TRIVIAL to raise.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Donkeys are hard to farm? They seem cheap and abundant enough for people to purchase them not unlike getting a truck for work, which in this case can be fetching water. I think it is more of an infrastructure issue than biological.

Never the less, China dick pills always produces some form of pointless suffering that never fail to :ughh:

it's the same question of why don't we eat xyz animal that we raise a lot. like horse, for example. have you ever eaten horse? it is loving delicious. but nobody gets a horse steak on a night out on the town because horses are loving obnoxious as hell to raise when compared to actual slaughter animals like cows, chickens, and pigs.

there's a number of challenges to raising a donkey but the one I will pick on here is that they're actually nontrivially smart. traditional slaughter animals are dumb as loving rocks and this is to the benefit of the rancher. if your cows are so loving dumb that they need to be reminded to come into the loving barn because it's cold outside then the other 12 hours of the day you can just leave them chewing their cud and staring into the infinite mysteries of the dirt.

donkeys are not like that. they are smart enough to need toys and they get destructive if too bored, like an energetic dog. issue is this is not some 20 pound mutt this is a couple hundred pound animal with a real opinion. they are also smart enough to require social stimulation beyond a vocalization or two, so they also need actual friends. but animal social bonds are no less finicky and no more predictable than human ones so raising them gets complicated when a donkey needs a few more months to be ready for harvest but his best friend is up for slaughter.

there's more but this is enough to demonstrate the very real problems presented by ranching donkeys. again, however, the big difference here is that it's simply hard to raise and reproduce these animals in captivity, not flatly impossible as is true of most of the other animals the Chinese love to harvest.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

If people want to eat something they will find a way to farm it.

I don't know if horses are tasty but the animals we slaughter has been selectively breed over thousands of years for meat and behaviour.
boy have they ever. i always get a kick out of telling people about the chicken they eat. many fryer chickens in particular are so hilariously bred that they literally have to be given a toilet on one side of their nest and food on the other, because they are so colossally dumb and lazy that they will be unable to find their food otherwise, and will refuse to clean themselves if they poo poo all over themselves. literally the only good thing a fryer chicken ever does is die for you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bajaj posted:

We have been eating a lot, and every day she says how she feels so much stronger than in China, and how the food makes her not feel bad all the time.

infinite thinky face

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

Bahahaha she made a business deal with your dad, and your mom is meeting her to manage it. By Mainlander standards I think that's more binding than marriage.

nah, by mainlander standards it's just a particularly large amount of foreigner trust to try to turn into money and face while providing nothing but lies and bullshit.

from haier's reports CG actually has a conscience though so it'll probably turn out okay

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pick posted:

That's always been my read based on what's available, but I think it's interesting because I can see where he gets it, given what he has witnessed in China. For all this thread loves to poo-poo (or pooh-pooh) on traditional Chinese culture, modern Chinese hyperconsumerism is, if anything, way more depressing and represents an almost pitiful greed with no bottom. (I'm not saying the USA is any different.) It does feel like he has genuine contempt for that, but I don't know how he's going to be able to curtail it.

a large part of the reason people poo-poo china in this thread is because actual traditional chinese culture is twisted and suppressed by the current bullshit government

if you look back over the 5000 years of history that people talk about to gain face, chinese history is marked mostly by periods of unusual liberty and urbanization (compared to the rest of the planet) leading to dizzying bursts of real innovation and eager pursuit of trade to spread (and profit from) those innovations

the CCP is the most protectionist and butthurt government that china's had since the Ming dynasty, which managed to turn the world's only major economic engine into a virtual prison of autarchic beggars who were harassed for being born, harassed for dying, and harassed for everything in between

face culture is a load of poo poo but if there was a more benign government in charge everyone would just make stupid jokes about it; beyond that, they'd get on with their lives. but since the CCP can be collectively anthropomorphized as a particularly spoiled 4 year old, face culture turns into a lot of dumb poo poo that actively hurts anyone who interacts with it.

the root cause is the government and i don't think anyone would seriously argue otherwise, but their influence is real and there's no indication at all that Xi or anyone else in the CCP actively dislikes the status quo. greed with no bottom benefits them directly in a way it doesn't benefit the US government - which is probably why it is in fact different between those countries, socially. no matter how you slice it the USA is one of the most philanthropic countries on the planet, with ~2% of the GDP going to charitable organizations. israel is second at ~1.3-1.4%. if you only count time volunteered per capita, the USA is second (after the netherlands), but the USA is the only country to appear on the top five of both measures. the CCP profits from every worthless purchase and dumb thing that the common Chinese citizen does because they are omnipresent, and unsurprisingly, china rates almost dead last in both time and treasure volunteered because that omnipresence encourages the government to reward mindless poo poo without innovative ends in a way the united states currently does not and, arguably, never has.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

poo poo, suddenly this meme makes sense

it was chinese wisdom all along

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

"oral English" or "oral language" is a quirk common to a lot of ESL learners, it depends on the mother tongue's preference for identifying the thing that communicates rather than the medium. every major EFL culture focuses on the latter though so it constantly confuses me why people would pick up the ESL quirk. like, who does the opposite of what the experts do and thinks that's a great idea?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 19, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The dust on those rations is definitely some sort of metal dust - I used to see that grainy junk on the electronics I bought from Shenzhen all the time. Never figured out what it was, but that same crap was all over my bulk purchases.

Would not surprise me at all if they were packed by hand on some line that had been angle grinding machine parts earlier that day.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

big time bisexual posted:

i love the posters in that thread not understanding a) how dumping works nor b) how having the majority of the world's solar panels be produced in a country with lax enforcement of pollution controls isn't the best idea if you care about the environment.

and then the last page is some guy saying he has never had a girlfriend and his only consolation is video games. :yikes:

Solar cells fundamentally aren't 'green' if you're talking about deploying them anywhere that's not a scorching, lifeless desert where nothing exists or some cat's rooftop. This has nothing to do with the amount of sunlight available but everything to do with what you displace when you bulldoze a ton of trees to install solar cells.

For the same GWh to net CO2 impact, you're actually better off just using a gas or oil plant and planting a forest in the area you didn't use for a solar farm - and that's honestly unlikely to change. What will change is that solar cells will get cheap enough that you can opportunistically deploy them to rooftops and big dead places like deserts, which will be helpful but not solve everything.

This is what galls me the most about the whole "China leads the way in solar" bullshit. It's wrong on almost every level. Even if all of those cells were real and even if they were all powering homes, it would STILL be more net polluting than just building a loving modern natural gas plant and letting a big area return to wild forest.

But this is China, so appearing to be good for planet healthy is way more important than actually being good for planet healthy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

posing on a glass scaffold a million feet in the air NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah who would they hire for that? White guy? Someone from another Asian country? Because assuming they have pork sandwiches in India, they couldn't hire a Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, or Jain to make the meat sandwiches.

Or do they just get a modern young Hindu who doesn't mind getting stink eye from all the aunties when they see him handling beef?

india has a nontrivial christian population that has no problem with any of it. i supported an orphanage in mysore for a long while and they ended up getting a lot of christian/catholic kids because the local hindu and muslim orphanages would only take kids of their associated creed and the orphanage in question would take any kid they could do right by. (this was more heart-rending than you might think)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jeoh posted:

did they make the kids squirm in pain as it would "bring them closer to god"?

one of the standards for the orphanage is that when kids left the orphanage they had real prospects to not have an unbearably miserable life. when a woman dropped a toddler off, they would accept the kid and make sure the kid had a real education and marketable skills by the time they hit the age of majority and got kicked out of the orphanage (because lol if you think any adoptions ever actually happen in india)

if a 10 year old kid shows up and he's totally illiterate and has never attended school a day in his life...they have to reject him because they're just not equipped to bring that sort of basket case up to speed.

i've been there when one of those kids comes by. it's...not easy to see a hunched over boy walk down the road having basically just been told he's hosed for life.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ziv Zulander posted:

Isn't this letting the perfect be the enemy of the good? Seems harsh to kick the kid out on his rear end just because they won't be able to educate him well enough.

admitting the kid would have been trying to be perfect. it is hard but important to stay focused on the goal of the institution. he would have been a constant disruption and distraction to the kids learning and they would have been able to do nothing but feed and clothe the kid until he hit majority, at which point he'd just be out on his rear end again. Any of a hundred other places could ostensibly do that - that's what most orphanages do. this orphanage is specifically set up to do everything possible break the cycle of poverty for the kids they look after. it's dangerous to pretend you can do that with any kid and try to be perfect at it when you actually can't - you need to be real and just be as good as you can be at it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this potato chat is making me confuse this thread and eastern-europe.txt

• Locked thread