Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Where are you getting that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

angel opportunity posted:

My best understanding of it is that they are brainwashed to believe that "CHINA" is something much greater than just some sovereign state like any other country in the world. It is the center of everything and the only thing that matters, and Taiwan is part of this greater thing regardless of its current political status. This is all just really goofy brainwashing though entirely removed from reality, so when they are talking about how it is part of China with a straight face, they are talking about this greater abstract idea of "CHINA" while when talking about the government of Taiwan, they are going back to that lower level of a regular country, acknowledging sort of that "Taiwan" has the trappings of a regular country, but knowing that it is entirely superceded by this grander concept they made up to save face and brainwash people with.

The Germans had a similar identity crisis over just what it meant to be a German, but they were unifying from a bunch of squabbling states. I'm not sure what the PRC's deal is - they've got the mainland locked down nicely, so where does the need to stake a claim to other ethnic Chinese come from?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bajaj posted:

This is the weirdest way to snipe a page. I have no idea what is going on.

Imperialist Dog posted:

Welp another accident on one of Hong Kong's most dangerous roads. What I've heard it's the bus was full of people who had been coming back from the racetrack, had lost their money, and were angry at the driver for being like ten minutes late, so decided to yell at and insult the driver.

https://twitter.com/b3108/status/962281015740841985

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

uguu posted:

If you copy the link in google search, it'll take you to the article.

Except for when it doesn't, and just leaves you at the subscribe page.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well it's not like he needs it any more

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Grand Fromage posted:

I was told the reason milk in Korea is so sweet is not because they intentionally sweeten it, but since everybody's lactose intolerant they use an enzyme to remove the lactose, and that process converts the lactose into glucose which tastes much sweeter. I was never able to verify this.

I'm lactose intolerant and drink lactose-free milk in Australia and I can tell you it's only marginally sweeter, if it all.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Thank you for sharing this.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I find myself dying to know how the machine gets all the tiles facing the right way up

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Coolguye posted:

ultimately if a food can be sweet OR savory i will never understand the people who choose sweet

savory is the quintessential food experience, plz honor it as such

Sometimes it works, like dessert pizza. Chocolate and cherry sauce, topped with sliced strawberries.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
it's like a shittier version of the Song of the Volga Boatmen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gLWwq5G5M

Edit: actually I wonder if EN EN AI AI is the chant when heaving, like ey ukhnem

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://i.imgur.com/5coHmC9.gifv

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/adelaide-diner-bit-waiter-over-portion-size-disagreement-they-only-gave-me-half-fish

quote:

An Adelaide diner who allegedly bit a waiter after a dispute about a portion size then called the police to report the restaurant.

Chunping Quan allegedly assaulted Fan Chi Kong, a waiter at Adelaide’s Nice Fish Restaurant, in June last year, Nine News reports.

Ms Quan told the Adelaide Magistrates Court that she ordered half a steamed barramundi but was told it only came as a whole dish.

The 49-year-old said she was okay to receive the whole fish but was then served half a barramundi.

At the end of their meal, Ms Quan and her companion then paid $26.50 of her $48.50 bill before leaving the restaurant when they were followed by Mr Kong.

In the call to police that was played to court yesterday, Ms Quan can be heard telling the operator: "They only gave me a half fish."

The operator suggests through the call that it may not be an emergency matter.

Following the call Ms Quan and Mr Kong were involved in a physical altercation that was filmed by an onlooker.

During the scuffle, Ms Quan was alleged to have bitten Mr Kong.

She told the court that she bit Mr Kong after asking him to let her go.

"He held me and I told him he had no right to hold me. This is Australia, this is not China," she said.

Mr Kong had bite marks and scratches on his arms and needed stitches.

In case the text doesn't make it clear, she called the emergency number (000) to report being given half a fish.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 19, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

What's the name of that god-awful squeaking instrument at the beginning, and why do Chinese people like it?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Honestly I kinda like the male vocals in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcuZagUJFvY

But by god is the woman's screeching awful

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dr.Radical posted:

Pants are a normal part of a suit. 2 piece is pants and jacket, 3 piece is pants, jacket, and vest. 5 piece is probably oh god why are we still talking about this just post the loving suit

Serious edit: I would bet my money that he has a 3 piece suit and thinks the shirt and tie are part of the suit

In some places, they are: https://bonsoirindia.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/five-piece-suit-peerless-bet-for-dapper.html
Jacket, waistcoat, trousers, shirt, tie/cravat.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dizz posted:

Are there any good Chinese teas for a starter? maybe ones that aren't so bitter as i have enough of that already.

Give white tea a try, but learn how to make Chinese tea properly first. Don't just throw it in a teapot with some boiling water.

I'm fortunate enough to live near a Chinese tea shop where I was able to watch and learn from the owner.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah that map has a lot of mountains and its still much slower than a plane. 3 hour on a train or 1 hour on a plane?

Line 2 is the one that doesnt cross the blie mountains so its the only actual feasible one imo

To put this in the context of the unnamed country, the distance is roughly equivalent to laying a track from Portland to San Francisco to San Diego, ignoring terrain difficulties.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Where I live it's automatic loss of license for doing more than 45 km/h over the limit, in addition to fines and other possible charges. I thought Canada was a civilised country?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/995680316458262533

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Traditional Chinese Medicine - one out of three is better than nothing, I guess

Edit: actually if it turned out to not even be Chinese that would be the best thing

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 1, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
that last word should be BROADS, surely

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What are the metal panels under the umbrella?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What were they drugging him with?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Any other Australian goons started getting robo-calls in Mandarin?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kharnifex posted:

Yeah, actually it's become quite frequent, home phones, private numbers, mobiles, At all hours.
Everyone I know has gotten it at least once

Figures they'd take the chabuduo approach and just dial everyone

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kharnifex posted:

its netted them over 60 million dollars so far from Australian Chinese.

How are these people so loving stupid

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you tear your trousers when you squat is that a Sino-Soviet split?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's "the typical Central Asian look" and is that the reason why you felt sorry for her?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol that guy also saw TokyoSam, the most awful garbage of Japan vloggers, and said ah man I want to be associated with this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUhhMBiFIvU

Tokyo Sam is awful garbage in real life, too. I had the misfortune of renting a room in his house, and despite paying for a month I just had to leave after two weeks. There were no clear flat surfaces in the kitchen to prepare food, and the sink was always full of dirty dishes which he'd brush his teeth over and spit the toothpaste on.

I'm still angry at the (former) mutual friend who hooked me up with that place.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
He rented the house and sublet the bedrooms. One night I came home and immediately tripped over, turned on the light and the genkan was full of bags of trash which he couldn't be bothered taking outside.

Edit: I just watched a bit of that video and holy poo poo he's even fatter now than he was back then, I guess he really never did start that diet he was always about to begin

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 29, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I used to live near a whole bunch of Korean expats here in Australia and what they told me was that working in Australia is like a holiday compared to Korea.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Man, here companies actively tell us to not come in if we're sick because we'll get nothing done and make everyone else sick as well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Grand Fromage posted:

Also you're making this weird statement that people get sick from what... passing around germs or something? Everyone knows you get sick from wind, or fans, or having the windows closed, or being a bad person, or...

I thought it was kimchi deficiency

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's now the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere thread

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah but did you check out the four floors of whores? The prostitute institute. The multi-level muff market.

The pooniversity

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

pedro0930 posted:

Restructuring of the regulatory body means no new liscence is being issued for video games. I guess Tencent thought they have enough clout to ignore it but got slapped down.

Translation: somebody didn't get bribed

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

BCR posted:

China's chabadore

I was gonna correct your spelling but eh, close enough

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

underage at the vape shop posted:

This is actually a really big problem, Australians are incredibly racist. if you haven't lived here you might not realise because the ones who are racist shitbags don't like other cultures so they aren't the ones you meet internationally. Australia has a sitting senator who in the 90s claimed we are being swamped by asians and has been non stop dribbling racist bullshit about asians, muslims, aboriginals and vaguely brown looking people since. This is really, really good for the CCP. When they buy off our politicians and pull all their normal tricks here, they get away with it. Noone can call it for what it is, because the second you do, you are branded as a racist and lumped in with the people from the article.

(snip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a186IAxXW0U
Video of the senator, if you care

By the way, that same dipshit senator put forward an "It's okay to be white" motion for vote
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/origins-of-its-ok-to-be-white-slogan-supremacists-united-states/10385716

Edit: lol one of the related articles is about another dipshit racist senator who used the phrase "final solution to the immigration problem"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-15/fraser-anning-history-of-the-nazi-phrase-final-solution/10122812

GotLag fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 19, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wasn't it more the cartoonist's and the paper's overblown response to mild criticism or am I misremembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If only Vic police had guns they could defend themselves with

• Locked thread