Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The freeper was suggesting Muslims didn't mourne the Orlando shooting. Because freepers only care about gays when it serves their anti Muslim rhetoric.

Floridian here, the Muslim community was among the loudest and most visible mourning the Orlando shooting. Freep would never believe it, but quite a lot of Muslims hate the people who give their religion a bad name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Covok posted:

I am so so sorry.

The state's reputation is exaggerated, in places. Parts of Florida are like any other suburban area.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Florida Man doesn't really lurk in the other suburban areas though?

Other states don't have the government transparency laws we do that makes it incredibly easy for anyone to go trawling through police records.

Or the huge number of immigrants from all over the country and world living next door to each other.

I've said it before about our drivers and I'll say it again about Florida Man: we do not grow our own crazy, we just import it from the rest of the country.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Any entertaining reactions to Germany legalizing gay marriage?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Priebus has just become another failed Washington courtier. Hot takes from Freep inbound.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

They all know how well a civil war would go for them but nobody wants to look like a coward in front of their cool internet friends.

My favorite freep thread title over the years remains "The Revolution Will Be Disavowed As A False Flag Op."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warmachine posted:

That's what I latch onto here. What does a civil war in the modern United States look like? How will it affect supplies for civilians? I reckon most of the hawks who want it won't live to see the end of it, because all of the medicine they depend on will suddenly be worth more than gold, and paranoid old fucks hoarding guns would be like a buffet for any partisan forces.

This is Freep, they assume the military is 100% on their side and their own lives won't be disrupted.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mustached Demon posted:

Is liberty U the one where you get expelled for fornication if you're raped? Or was that byu?

It's Liberty. And also Pensacola Christian College.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/898980084920483846

Pensacola Christian College is the one this guy was going to. They expelled him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radish posted:

It's really weird how the logic at these colleges is the exact same as those villages in Afghanistan where they stone women for being raped.

It's one of the great ironies, really. Fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims have far more in common than they have in difference.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chortles posted:

I remember this being recognized pre-9/11, with subsequent discrimination/hate crimes moving American Muslims leftward...?

Yup. Muslims used to be a very reliable Republican voting bloc. Similar social values, often well educated and wealthy, and well above average tendency to vote. After 9/11, Muslims quickly became a reliable Democrat voting bloc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

And Gal Gadot herself has said in interviews that she's pushed for Diana to have a woman love interest in WW2. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keeshhound posted:

I'm torn on this because on the one hand, stereotypical as it might be for the only well known "powerful" woman superhero be a lesbian, having any pop movie acknowledgement of homosexuality would be pretty awesome. On the other hand, I'd really love to see freep lose it's poo poo over what a "beta" the original Steve was.

She'd be bisexual, not a lesbian, and it's sometimes been a thing in the comics. According to Gadot, most of the dialogue between her and Chris Pine was left for them to improv and Diana's joke about men being unnecessary for sexual pleasure was her idea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SocketWrench posted:

Hahahahaha, I guess we found freep's nerve because holy christ they're pissed

Football is the true religion of rural America.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As the saying goes in the history field, if you know only a little bit about the American Civil War, you know it was about slavery. If you do some reading and learn about the ACW and how it started, you know it was a complex conflict tied up in conflicts of economics, state vs federal government, and race. If you know a lot about the ACW, you know it was about slavery.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wonder if Freep has a thread bitching about the Punisher show on Netflix. This take on the Punisher is carefully and deliberately contrary to the popular stereotype of the character, and the very outspoken super right-wing MAGA gun nut character is... not portrayed sympathetically.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

evilmiera posted:

I just wonder what that guy is doing living in New York. He acts and lives like a trucker from the Midwest.

He was born and raised in Queens, IIRC. It's where his family lived before he became the Punisher.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At least the closest thing Florida has to a distinctive state dish is the Cuban sandwich, and that's a drat tasty option regardless of whether you like them Tampa style with salami like a normal person or are a Miami-based heretic and go without.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guavanaut posted:

I... what?

Government helping fund healthcare for women = enabling women to be dirty filthy sluts and avoid the consequences of their actions, to Freepers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guavanaut posted:

Even so, a lot of the most reliable forms of birth control (implant, IUD, injection) are basically apply once and then have a medical check up/repeat next year, and overall prevent thousands of abortions.

I know that they want women to be abstinent before marriage and barefoot and pregnant after, while at the same time all men should be having sex, but god forbid that it's with another man, but "birth control and subsequent abortions" is dumb as hell by even that metric.

To Freepers, it's simple. Women should be punished for having sex under any circumstances except with their husband for the purposes of procreation - and even then, the right wing cares more about fetuses than actual babies and children.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Freep is unsurprisingly fans of Scott Adams. They also seem really big into this niche theory that Sessions is going after weed explicitly to punish sanctuary states.

To be fair, going after weed is about punishing black people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

evilmiera posted:

My pothead buddy who is now really heavy into martial arts would disagree with you.

Hint: he's not the kind of person anti-weed laws are going to be enforced against.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I like how so many of their wall solutions involve ignoring the constitution they love so much. Its ok when i do it because it's important.

And the stunning ignorance that the vast majority of illegal immigrants come here legally, not sneaking over the border, and our own agricultural industry is heavily complicit in it because much of that industry runs on what is for all intents and purposes slave labor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alter Ego posted:

I work with teachers on a daily basis. Most of them are young women, and with the exception of one who actually was in the Navy I'd be willing to bet none of them have ever handled a gun.

Given that their kids are grabby little shits, a gun would make the classroom even more hazardous.

This is also asking those same women to be prepared to shoot and kill one of their own students on a moment's notice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dunno if Freep cares about superhero movies, but there might be some gold to be mined about Deadpool 2 now - Brianna Hildebrand's character has been revealed to be a lesbian with a girlfriend in the movie, which I think makes her the first openly gay superhero in a modern superhero movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I must be parsing you wrong : was there an openly gay superhero in a non-modern movie I'm forgetting?

I don't know if there might have been one in an old movie I haven't seen, so I added the qualification.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Khizan posted:

Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis were also gay Watchmen characters, but I'd argue that Watchmen isn't a 'real' superhero property.

They also, like Silhouette, weren't characters in the movie and were only in the opening credits.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why am I not surprised at least one Freeper is a Warhammer 40k fan judging by his user name?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HappyHippo posted:

:freep: "Political correctness has run amok in this country!! Also how dare you not stand for the anthem!!"

And the usual raging cognitive dissonance when the free market decides pandering to racists is unprofitable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Erenthal posted:

"Why don't women vote for us?"

They don't think women should be allowed to vote at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sheep-dodger posted:

This is such an incredibly dumb thing to say about the candidate that aggressively and openly campaigned for progressive goals, was endorsed and supported by Sanders, and won on the strength and popularity of that platform. Sure the same guy "doesn't want Floridians to look too closely".
god, freep is so stupid.

Specifically, right-wingers think they've got a Gotcha against Gillum because one guy on his government while he was Tally's mayor was corrupt. And they may very well be right, when it comes to people who were never going to vote for him anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

Example, my parents would theoretically have been sane republican voters, but their increasing appeals to ignorance and racism turned them off over the course of the Bush years to the extent that they switched sides in 08. At this point a sane republican would struggle to get them back just because building that trust back is super hard.

I wish my grandparents had followed suit. :( They're firmly in the camp of evangelicals who sold out to Trump, and the sad thing is they truly don't understand how hateful and bigoted the GOP is. They grew up in a small, exclusively white rural town in the Midwest, and have lived in small, exclusively white rural towns their entire lives. They're genuinely kind, generous, selfless people who well and truly believe Fox News' view of the world and sincerely believe the Democrats are the racists and sexists, and they think gay people are just confused and haven't had the right heterosexual experience yet.

They have no idea just how left-wing the extended family or how many LGBT family members they have. We've completely given up trying to persuade them out of their bubble and are all kinda hoping they pass away before me or one of my cousins forces the issue - I have four separate family members with a SO who's the same gender and/or isn't white, and we're careful to avoid revealing that to the grandparents.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

People like that are in an iron fortress of faux-courtesy from whence they can never be attacked, because they will never understand how hurtful the things they say are.

Pretty much. And they really are kind, selfless, loving grandparents who do everything they do out of the best of intentions. But they've never grasped that the world doesn't work like the tiny Illinois farming town they grew up in in the 30s through 50s, and have spent the rest of their lives similarly insulated from what reality is like for everyone who's not exactly like them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jojoinnit posted:

I just wasn't expecting there to be a "liberal women can't wait for the caravan to get here so they can gently caress" talking point.

"They're coming to steal our women!" has been a right-wing talking point since approximately the invention of spoken language.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm pretty sure lots of Christian denominations just replace the word Catholic with "Christian".

'catholic' with a little c is a valid word and what was originally meant. 'Catholic' as in the Roman Catholic Church was meant as an adjective originally.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SwingShift posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I was curious about their reactions but now I know better than to go looking. I figured they would at least be upset about some lovely kid antagonizing a Vietnam vet, but I guess not!

It's racism. They're not upset.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Isn't that mostly Paul's fault?

Yep. He was an incredibly goony dude who didn't think you should be having sex at all and you should be a monk.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elephant Ambush posted:

They want a revolution but they want other people to do it, they want those other people to act en masse, and they want those other people to"win" so they can latch onto that "win" like a sports team fan.

The most accurate title these threads have ever had is "The revolution will be disavowed as a false flag op"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keeshhound posted:

Boris has been insisting that preventing him from leaving without a deal makes it impossible for him to negotiate, so...

Brexiters think Europe depends on Britain rather than the other way around. They think that this is going to end with the EU on their knees begging to trade with the UK instead of the EU telling the UK to piss off as Britain spirals into economic disaster and probably civil unrest (Ireland).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wouldn't it be better to just spend more money on the navy then, instead of blowing up your economy and forcing you to spend less money on the navy?

They don't want to spend more money on the navy. They want to get rid of brown people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thoth! posted:

Of loving course it's always the old testament.

FAKE NEWS I scream, as some bearded commie carpenter tells me to love my neighbor and turn the other cheek

They don't read the Old Testament, either, or they'd worry about keeping kosher or consider polyester unclean. Or the entire book about a guy being told by God to minister to and love a country that he hates and God making GBS threads all over him for being an rear end in a top hat who cares more about a tree giving him shade than about an entire nation of people.