Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

E2 Wells was interesting because instead of pretending to be inspirational but having a secret agenda, the guy was just a huge dick. Not evil, but almost amoral in how little he really cared about anyone but his daughter (at least until near the end).

It's disappointing that they never really managed to muster the whole competition between vaguely sinister, manipulative Harry and lantern-jawed boy scout Jay Garrick over the position as Barry's mentor for the season, at least not as much as the showrunners seem to think they did. It would have made the reveal of Jay/Hunter's true identity a bigger deal, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OB_Juan posted:

When does the show come back?

I think it starts again next week.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remain cautiously optimistic despite being disappointed by the previous season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope there's not too many long hiatuses. I don't mind if it stops for a break in the middle but it was a bit silly when you had it coming back then going on a two week break straight away last time around. It doesn't do anything for the momentum of the plot at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually enjoyed the Rival a lot more in that one episode than I did Zoom in every episode of season two he was in, even if he did look like Shadow the Hedgehog. :shrug:

Thought it was an improvement on the last season. Disappointed it wasn't two parts - would have been fun to see what some of the other characters were doing in Flashpoint, even if it was just mentions of "Mayor Snart" or Robert Queen being Green Arrow like in the Earth-2 episodes last season.

I think if it's at this standard for the whole season I will at least be satisfied with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cavanagh is in the trailer for the next episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

Also, from episode synopses up through ep 3: Jesse has super speed and has been crime fighting; Barry becomes her mentor and as of ep 3 is training her.

That's a shame because I think she could've been a great hero if the fiendish Barry Hitler hadn't gotten his hands on her first.

But seriously, will Barry betray her because he assumes that's what super-speed mentors are supposed to do?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ComposerGuy posted:

So it looks like Alchemy is being set up as the season big bad, yeah?

Which would be nice.

There's two this season - Dr Alchemy and Savitar.

Guy Goodbody posted:

LOL at Barry saying nothing about Caitlin had changed. Caitlin doesn't have a personal life to change. Does she even have parents?

I think I've read that her mother is appearing in a future episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

Daniel Radcliffe is well out of reach of this show. There's no chance of him being alchemy.

"We shall have to settle for Rupert Grint."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

He also has a pretty big role in Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and Final Crisis (yeah they use that word a lot).

I could definitely see this version of Barry being tricked into running into a guy's sword.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Magenta is from the comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Snoopy posted:

Velour muscles make the hero.

There is a story that when they made the Phantom movie in 1996, they produced a Batman '89 type sculpted muscle suit for Billy Zane, only to discover when Billy Zane arrived on set that he had spent the previous year working out and was actually in better shape than the suit would have made him look.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

None of the "Legends" (god what a retarded name for a team)

It's what Rip Hunter recruited them to be!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scyantific posted:

Actually wasn't he the first one to negotiate the contract?

I think he was second after Barrowman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just thought about Barry being Cisco's house guest - in the last episode he was asking Joe and Iris whether he should move out and get his own place, and they were joshing him about how he was finally growing up and acting his age, but didn't Barry have an apartment in the city in season one then moved back in with Joe there? Did Flashpoint change that?

What's Iris's situation at the moment? She was living at home at the start of season one then she went to live with Eddie (her moving out is what prompted Barry to move in, if I recall correctly), but did she go back to live with Joe and Barry in season two? I don't remember.

Weird thing to think about, I know. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Julian "Grimey" Albert.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zebulon posted:

Pretty sure several interviews with the show runners suggested that they somehow thought that Jay's sporadic appearances would in fact be enough emotional investment to lead to it feeling like a real betrayal.

Yeah, I remember one interview with (I think) Andrew Kreisberg where he was talking about the then-ongoing season two plot and he genuinely seemed to believe that Jay had become as much of a trusted mentor to Barry as Wells/Thawne was in season one, but I just don't think it was there on the screen itself. I'd say it's a sort of "show don't tell" situation except they neglected to do either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

The worst thing about the time remnants was that if you follow the convoluted logic of it, it actually does make sense, but on the surface it just looks like some bullshit excuse to do whatever they want. And they're more than happy to use bullshit excuses most of the time, so expecting the audience to follow their reasoning on this one thing is just weird.

They introduced the time remnant and "he was traveling in the Speed Force" thing to explain Thawne coming back, didn't they? I remember thinking they were making it more complicated than they had to. Would've been as easy to say that Eddie shot himself in 2014, which erased Thawne from the timeline, but Thawne still had to exist up until that point so he could come back in time and arrive in 2014 so he could impel Eddie to shoot himself.

Hmm. Maybe that's even more complicated. It makes sense in my head.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every single action Zoom takes makes his motivation less and less clear. Why an army of metahumans?

And what were that one guy in the back in the zoot suit's powers?!

irlZaphod posted:

Zoom's plan of having a Jay in Earth 1 and then killing him was just dumb.

The Jeyes are the men who will not be blamed for nothing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 21, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will be interested to see how Savitar plays out. At least with Zoom, before he debuted, he'd sent out all these bad guys who'd go, "Zoom sent me!" or "Zoom wants you dead!" or "Zoom is coming!" then Fake Jay explained who Zoom was, and then Zoom appeared. Whereas Savitar's showing up out of nowhere like that old beat 'em up side-scroller where you spend the game beating up poachers, then the final boss is this alien centipede monster who was apparently the true master behind the poachers for some reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

The Adventures of Bayou Billy I think was that game.

I had a look and it turns out it was game called Growl:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Don't you remember? Rip Hunter recruited us to be Legends!" is still the single worst line in the entire Arrowverse so far so "Best! Team-up! Ever!" will have to settle for runner-up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

Next episode synopsis:
With Alchemy and Savitar still looming threats, Barry is unable to focus on the Christmas holiday, and especially his relationship with Iris. Determined to stop Savitar, Barry goes to Earth-3 to get advice from Jay Garrick. Wally wants to help Barry fight Savitar and reveals that he’s been training with H.R, which doesn’t go over well with Barry. As Cisco faces his first Christmas without his brother Dante, old wounds are reopened.

God damnit

Episode should be about Cisco's parents revealing they never really liked Dante very much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone remember when they did that gimmick really early on where Barry would visualise features of crime scenes (e.g. tire tracks, footprints) in white dotted-lines? Just popped unbidden into my head when I sat down to watch the latest episode. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aquasnake posted:

I'm not sure why this is surprising, TV dudes don't poop. When is the last time you've seen any building designed with a bathroom. Do you have any idea where the bathroom is in the Star Labs building?

Reverse-Flash converted it into his time chamber.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

He only takes a poo poo in Barry's childhood home. There's no bathroom in STAR Labs because Nora and Henry have a stately master bath in 1999.

He never flushes.

His original plan was to go back in time and upper-deck the Allen family toilet; killing Nora Allen instead didn't occur to him until he got there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aquasnake posted:

I think she's still a reporter, I think the real question is "Does Iris have a Boss anymore?"

Remember when Iris was going out with her boss and he hated the Flash?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, that lasted like five minutes, if even. Season 1/early Season 2 Terrible Iris doesn't exist to me. She's always been mid-Season Two/Season Three Amazing Iris. What are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure that was late season two.

The trailer for the back half of season two made this big deal about how Iris's new editor was basically J. Jonah Jameson for the Flash, then that lasts less than an episode and he's sold on the Flash by the end of his first appearance, except for that one date they went on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

They need to go full on Flash's Girlfriend Iris West and have her getting up to all sorts of wacky magical adventures on her own.

Sort of wish Supergirl was giving Jimmy a weird new power in every episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oracle posted:

I thought he got killed by Jay?

I don't think hunk so - Iris's original boss was killed by Thawne I season on either though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I remember I liked about the last episode was Jay telling Barry to go and get the stone while he held Savitar off, then he immediately runs right into Savitar's grip.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

Why didn't HR take the shot was my question? I assumed we'd see him take the shot then it would plink of Savitar who would just laugh and kill Iris anyway. Instead he just took aim then was like "nahh, futures not changed enough, maybe on the next loop-through".

Nah, what'll happen is H.R. will try to think of how to make himself useful and contribute to the future-changing scheme and conclude, "I know! Barry saw Savitar kill Iris, so if I take this rifle and I kill Iris instead... What a swerve!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Savitar is actually the Earth-4 version of Iris and Barry saw her stabbing one of her own time remnants.

It's the last thing anyone would have expected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Barry's time remnant sacrificed itself to stop the magnetar or whatever it was; Zolomon literally stabbed his through the heart.

Speaking of, are there any good post-mortems for season two I can read anywhere?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

HR's explanation of the future wanting to happen made no goddamn sense

Seems about right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Iris had an editor who hated the Flash?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

But seriously, that episode was:

"I'm your new editor and I hate the Flash!" > J. Zolomon Zoom saves a collapsing building > "I like the Flash now."

Two episodes later:

"Hey, Iris, let's go on a date" > "Well, you're my boss so that seems kinda dodgy but okay" > (at dinner) "I hate the Flash!"

And that was it for that character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

The only thing Barry does faster than run is forget how to do stuff. You'd think "generate lightning," "phase through objects," "super-sonic punch," and "speed duplicate" would be regular parts of the arsenal. But nope!

Absolute worst one is the second Earth 2 episode in season two where Zoom sticks him in a flimsy-looking glass (!) prison and phases through it to rough him up a bit when Barry taunts him, and after he leaves, Barry gets all cocky and goes, "Zoom just showed me how to get out of here! :smug:" when he'd phased through a wall maybe two episodes earlier to take Thawne by surprise.

How hard would it have been to give him a line where Jesse asks him why he can't just phase through the wall because she'd seen Zoom do it and he says the wall vibrates at a frequency he can't work out or something?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lotus circle posted:

Honestly I'm annoyed cause it seemed at first we'd finally get a Caitlin plot that didn't involve romance. But the second Julian stopped being an evil dick he became available so the writers are like "gently caress it" because they're incapable of writing a woman who isn't in a relationship with some dude.

At the very least, it feels less naff than the one with Jay/Zoom was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It wasn't as bad as the time Zoom trapped Barry in a glass cupboard and he couldn't work out how to escape until Zoom phased through it to beat him up.

• Locked thread