Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The RLM consensus will be that its better than the other DCEU movies, but that that isn't saying much and its a fairly average movie at the end of the day, and that it doesn't really deserve its high RT score.

Jay will be most positive, Mike will be middling to negative and Rich won't like it.

They won't review pirates because nobody cares.

PM me for more hot takes on what RLM will think about stuff. Topics include Justice League, Star Wars VIII, The British General Election of 2017 and AIIIIIIIIDDDDDDSSSSSS.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

khwarezm posted:

If Wonder Woman ends up being the one and only quality thing that comes out of the DCCU its the best of both worlds since you get a good movie, dumb execs won't have an excuse to go 'Guess action movies with women in the lead role just don't work!' again and Justice League will be out soon enough and that will return course back to comical train wrecks we can mock while the entire DC universe melts before our eyes.

:coolfish:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't know why Jack's ad views are such a big deal for you guys. He makes content and puts it up on youtube, what do you honestly expect him to say? That he loves a potential source of income to be undercut?

Its not a bad point he makes, if you aren't contributing to Patreon or buying gallons of his semen off of the RLM store its a tiny little thing to do to just watch the ad so they can get a bit back on their content.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 5, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WampaLord posted:

He could simply stop bitching about ad block. Like, he could just say nothing.

I'm currently unemployed, I'm not going to be sad about Jack not making even more loving money.

I'm sure he's rolling in the green dude, especially from that sweet and stable wedding editing moolah :rolleyes:.

Last time I saw him talk about it on stream was when somebody specifically asked him and Rich about it. Again, what else do you think he's going to say?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 5, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Paladinus posted:

Look, it's either this, Russians, or a purple alien.

We used to have Chinese too, but then they got rich and became a valuable market so now they're laughably replaced with the world spanning power of North Korea.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I just got back from Wonder Woman.

It was like way better than cranks on the internet seem to be saying? Everybody keeps talking about how the ending is horrible horseshit but it just seemed fine to me. Not great, certainly not the best part of the movie but it tied up the plot fine and was just kind of what you'd expect in a CGI ridden action blockbuster. Like when I think of insulting, terrible endings something like Star Trek: Into Darkness springs to mind, this was fine.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

achillesforever6 posted:

I think for guys like RLM they tend to be more negative since they watch every superhero movie every year and end up getting really cynical on how they are all the same and blah.

Well, I know what to expect with RLM but reading in this thread, CineD and Reddit made me expect the film would be significantly worse than I actually thought it was. It was fun, but not so light, like some Marvel stuff, that there's no gravitas when called for, while conversely avoiding Snyder's misery. The two main characters play off each other great, the supporting characters are a lot of fun (the sniper and the conman just worked well, they got little scenes to shine like the Sniper playing piano or the conman convincing a German guard to let them into a castle, I was thinking that was exactly the kind of stuff that Rogue One fell down horribly on), the action was often thrilling, especially when WW tears up poo poo in No Man's Land. The cinematography was mostly great.

The two initial villains were pretty weak, and I thought it was Dumb to use a real life German General for no good reason there, its not like any other real historical figures play a role here, but the Ares reveal was better than I thought it would be, I liked the idea that he wasn't really controlling events so much as helping people bring their intrinsic violence and hatred to the surface and taking a backseat from there, all the while mocking WW's belief that she could just kill the final boss and permanent peace would reign while having an intense disgust for human nature that was difficult to deny given the circumstances of the war.

I Dunno, maybe it wouldn't hold up as well on repeat viewing but I really liked it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WampaLord posted:

On the other hand, there's also Deadpool and Logan and Mad Max Fury Road and tons of movies with loads and loads of violence. There's just as much as there used to be, you're just used to it now.

Watch Mad Max again, its actually less violent, or at least less gory and bloody, than you might remember.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

All you need to see of any Bourne movie is the hilarious suicide scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFnmq5PPScA

The sound effects in this scene are hilariously bad, its the same 'WHISH WHAM!' punching sound effect from a million no budget 70s Kung Fu movies over and over in our supposedly hard boiled, gritty thriller.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What's the opinion most likely to earn you a big red text in CineD?

Spielberg is good, Transformers is bad, or there exists in this world films that are better than Batman v Superman?

Suggest they watch either a non-genre movie, a foreign language movie, or a movie made more than 30 years ago as opposed to nothing but titanic budget Hollywood schlock since they are such elite cinephiles who can unearth the complex subtext of Transformers, obviously they should have no problem doing the same thing for the oeuvre of Werner Herzog.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
That scene managed to make it past the writing, shooting and editing process of modern hyper fearful, ultra safe, squeaky clean Hollywood.

Nope.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Eh, SMG ain't so bad, you kind of know his gimmick at this point and it would be a bit of a laugh that's often fairly interesting and seems quite tongue in cheek if it weren't for the rest of CineD. That's the main problem, its the way his gimmick gets unironically, desperately copied by everyone else there that causes things to become truly insufferable. If he was just the one guy who had the 'ridiculous over-analysis' gimmick it'd be better, instead the entire forum utterly embraces ridiculous over-analysis while being really smug and self righteous about it.

I don't really think he deserved what he got for the thing he said.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Drunken Baker posted:

I heard that the Han Solo directors were fired for not putting a puppy Chewbacker in the film. Disney went ahead and mass-produced like, a million Star Wars dog plushie dolls, but then found out he isn't in the film and that's what caused the butting of head that made them walk.

Please God be true.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think Ron Howard's actually a really good director but it'll probably result in an extremely jarring shift in tone nonetheless.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

FrensaGeran posted:

I thought Wonder Woman would suck because I trusted Mike Stoklasaand his predictions. What a fool I was.

e: no I'm keeping that typo

By most accounts any difficulties Wonder Woman had were front loaded in pre-production before shooting and things progressed smoothly enough when Patty Jenkins was chosen as the director. The Star Wars stuff looks way more painful since both Rogue One and the Han Solo movie got or are getting seriously hosed around with after almost everything was finished shooting. Heck, maybe even episode IX will go through the wringer too considering how bad the Book of Henry was. Its astonishing to me that stuff like this is happening, I would have thought that Disney would have the perfect formula down due to all of the Marvel movies (only Ant-man seemed to be the source of major, public, behind-the-scenes controversy) but they're giving Warner Bros. a run for their money in idiotic bullshit at the moment.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 22, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PostNouveau posted:

More came out on Lord and Miller getting canned from the Han Solo movie.

Apparently they spent a ton of time improving on set and Kathleen Kennedy saw the dailies and hired an acting coach for the lead mid-production because he sucked so much.

Y'all, the Han Solo movie is going to be a loving disaster.

I will not be satisfied unless this movie vomits stomach acid right into my eyes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Star Wars is bad.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Yug posted:

Yeah Mike really underestimated how much women would fork over dollars for bad movies that pandered to them.

Wendar Wymon is a good movie and you're just an old crank.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PostNouveau posted:

Also they recently found out the T-Rex didn't have feathers, so the coolest dinosaur is safe.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/t-rex-skin-was-not-covered-feathers-study-says-180963603/

Actually no:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxE68c9rYa0

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's because it looks bad. nobody was real upset when it turned out trex didn't have kangaroo posture cuz it looks cooler the way it really was.

You're a massive idiot, you don't know what a feathered dinosaur looks like. Nobody does. Jesus why do people get so upset about this idea.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

they looked like giant birds sans beaks most likely. birds are my least favorite class.

gently caress cladistics for making them dinosaurs.

Man, birds are cool, when you notice that Dromaeosaurus like Velociraptor was more like a toothy, flightless eagle that was occupying the niche of a wolf or cat you realize that they aren't really any less 'tough'. In my mind it makes them seem like a more real animal than the emaciated naked turkey/lizard chimera monsters of yore. It would be cool to see something seriously try and recreate that for once.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this looks way cooler:

birds just are lame in general. now our cool scaly monsters are the drag queens of the jurassic.

I always hated that illustration, it looks like someone stitched an iguana's head to a kangaroo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I have the objectively best taste in dinosaurs, look at my av.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the book is great.

I saw the digital restoration last year and I loved every minute of it. It has this reputation of being a really dry and dour hard sci fi but a lot of it is really funny and the stargate sequence isn't even as long as I remembered. I think that Bored the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Every forgets this about Kubrick, he could be really funny a lot of the time.

Not just the obvious Dr Strangelove. Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange have some loving hilarious scenes.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 10, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Schweinhund posted:

It's hard to get upset that actresses stop getting parts when they get older. All you're arguing for is them taking parts away from younger actresses who never had the chances they had. Like oh no, please don't cast that hot 22 year old newcomer, let's cast Nicole Kidman, who had 17 surgeries to look younger, in her 60th role!

And it's not just that people don't want to see older women, people don't want to see movies *about* older women either. So even when they're cast it's always 35 year olds playing women who are much younger. They should cast appropriately according to age and let the milfs retire to Lifetime movies.

Dude, this is so loving ignorant. It one of the most notorious things in the acting industry that a woman above forty practically never gets major roles and at best end up typecast into roles like grannies or witches. Most actors don't turn into superstars which means being an older woman in the industry is typically very difficult if they didn't get a major break earlier in their career, its much more difficult to break into the industry at that age than for their male counterparts, but people still gotta eat so the deck is heavily stacked against older women remaining in the industry.

Its also much easier for a male actor to remain high demand even if they are getting to retirement age, and yet nobody concern trolls about them taking away roles from younger men because it's a stupid made up problem. Also there's basically no distinction about not wanting to see older women and not wanting to see movies about older women.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Schweinhund posted:

I wasn't concern trolling. I was saying if an older actress gets a part, fine. But if a younger actress gets it I'm not going to be upset that the older one didn't. Hollywood is just trying to make money. Movies about attractive young people sell tickets. Women lose their looks faster than men so men hang around longer. It's the nature of the business. It's like complaining that the NBA discriminates against 50 year old short people. Well duh.

This is stupid, tons of people are willing to go see older men at the moving pictures show. Robert Downey jr, Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, Johnny Depp, Liam Neeson, Daniel Craig etc. Talking about fellas in their forties and fifties they can still find meaty or high profile roles, for a woman its ridiculously more difficult because attitudes like yours mean we react to seeing a lady over forty in the cinema like the nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. We're openly discriminating against women because we value their looks more compared to men.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

reignofevil posted:

Unfortunately this won't stop until we stop using money sooooooo......

Good point, full communism now.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WampaLord posted:

Voyager wants to go really fast to get home, so Tom Paris does an experimental Warp 10 jump, cause in theory that's infinity speed and would get them home instantly. Due to going Warp 10, it activates some sort of evolution or timey wimey thing or something and he and Janeway turn into lizards.

Then they gently caress, have lizard babies, are rescued and restored to normal and never speak of it again.

In fairness the last bit is exactly what I'd do.

I still find it funny that they mutate into things ludicrously far from anything human, but can be put back to normal like it was nothing in an afternoon.

Voyager was so dumb.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

HoAssHo posted:

What about in TNG when Barclay turned into a fuckin spider? What was that about? How far back in our lineage do we need to go to have a common ancestor with spiders? Might as well have someone turn into banana if we're going that far back.

That's really funny if you know anything about biology because spiders are on a totally different lineage to people, you can't go 'back' there, no one's ancestor was ever a spider!

The salamander thing legit makes more sense in that regard.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Body shaming leo, for shame.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'll never fully understand why there is such a breadth of baffling poo poo that was put on home videos over the 80s and 90s. I wish I could find out more about the instructional video boom, it doesn't really seem comparable to the sort of stuff that would be popular on youtube today somehow.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zzulu posted:

There is way

WAY weirder poo poo on youtube

*watches 15hrs of man doing close up farting on anime figurines*

Well, anyone can make anything and throw it on youtube. These videos had much higher barriers of entry, video cameras weren't as widely available, they probably needed some kind of lovely production crew, they needed to get tapes, packaging and distribution and, I presume, they thought they had a market to aim to so they'd make money back. And despite all that they constantly barfed out baffling poo poo like telepathy with animals.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just watched Doctor Strange. Add another garbage villain to the Marvel movies pile. It's hard to believe between so many films the only bad guys to be remotely memorable were Jeff Bridges and Kurt Russel.

And Michael Giacchino is quickly turning into the new James Horner for lazy recycling of his own soundtracks. Whole movie sounded like his Star Trek stuff. Least it wasn't as horrible sounding as his Rogue One music.

Hold the loving phone, you found Jeff Bridges memorable in Iron Man?

Also the main reason the Marvel movies have struggled to have effective villains is because they have gotten so waylaid in quips and references and just generally constantly deflating tension and winking to the audience that no villain has any capability of seeming threatening anymore. The best they can do is have a few funny jokes of their own.

Its kind of impressive imo how they get lazier and lazier about attempting to have even the most basic tension in their movies anymore, which is pretty bad for an action franchise in my view. I guess Vulture was pretty cool.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 19, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a bone to pick posted:

... He was great.

When he got his own Iron Man suit BUT BIGGER it was really dumb and he just started chewing scenery with gusto. Before that he was more interesting and subtle and then he ended up being 'IMMA KILLYOU!'

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Entropic posted:

It was surprisingly decent until the last act where the law of superhero movies says you have to end with 20 minutes of two invincible people bouncing off each other like pinballs against CGI backgrounds.

From what I heard beforehand I was honestly expecting it to be much worse than it ended up being, its not like it was a good scene but it was just kind of what I expect with these sorts of movies. For my money the first Iron Man movie has the worst obligatory final battle I can think of.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a bone to pick posted:

They CGI'd david Thewlis's face onto a buff man's body and then the love interest blew himself up and then there was a lot of CGI where absolutely nothing mattered and Diana punched the villain to death. This is the catalyst where she becomes Wonder Woman I guess.

Bad movie but nerds love it just like Spider-Man homecoming.

Eh, like I said CGI clusterfucks are just what happens at this point, I think Ares melted himself some armor too so you never really saw the actor at all. Its not really a defense but people talked about this scene like it was uniquely bad and it just seemed par for the course to me. I thought it was clear enough what the conflict was meant to be about and... (Rich Evans voice) its fine, its fine.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a bone to pick posted:

I watched Despicable Me last night and I thought it was really good, I've also seen the Minions movie which caused me to abandon all hope for the future of the human race.

Every Despicable Me movie is forgettable crap.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

General Dog posted:

I remember enjoying 2 enough, though I remember nothing about it. Exception that proves the rule?

Well, you're halfway there.

Megamind was a film with a similar premise (what if we follow the bad guy?! Which itself is kind of a well worn concept in kids media but whatever) that came out around the same time as the first Despicable Me movie but did almost everything better and with some novel spins and plot developments I didn't expect. It was also way funnier and was willing to make its main character much more of a genuine dickhead but a funny dickhead at that who had some real development. I don't like its art style though, but the Despicable Me movies aren't really good in that area either.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waltzing Along posted:

DM is a story of a super villain who becomes a father and learns to love his family. It's a great flick.

Gru is the worst super villain. He doesn't even do anything particularly bad, he's just sort of grumpy, and then he's not because the film throws three cute little girls who don't really have any characterization beyond one adjective but the audience claps and goes awww because we're trained seals at this point and Despicable me films are buckets of chum being thrown in our faces.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Captain Lavender posted:

3 had such a nice ending too. I just saw Moana on Netflix and enjoyed that anyway. They've got fumes still at least, but yeah, the Littlest Dinosaur or whatever was so bad.

Moana wasn't Pixar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

King Vidiot posted:

The video starts with Rich firing his Nukie Lazer. What even is reality any more?

Also Rich is a good voice actor, who'dathunk?

He can play a smug, pedantic, irritable nerd, who'dathunk.

• Locked thread