Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I think Mike discounts George Lucas too much. He oversells how stupid and lazy he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Is ring theory the thing they do in CineD? SMG always seemed a bit crazier than that to me.

They tend to put a layer of psychoanalytic nonsense on top.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I didn't even notice that Finn asked Rey if her boyfriend was cute.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hollywood is currently developing a Tetris trilogy. Also a Play-Doh movie.

I would rather watch a movie about money being shoveled into a furnace

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Zzulu posted:

The really rich youtubers basically just got lucky, because their product is in no way better in any way than the other thousands of similiar videos nor were they usually the first to do the thing they're doing

Some clowns are just adored more than others

Acting like a mental patient and screaming racial slurs helps a lot.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

dsriggs posted:

Green screen bad. Real good.

Very Tim and Eric

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Englebert Scoobysnacks is literally doing a Doctor House impression for a performance WTF

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the Brits can get away with having lovely American accents since those lovely accents are no where near as bad as Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent

It's not that the accent is bad it's that every british actor playing american growls their lines. Like Dominic West in the Wire, good performance, but he sounds loving bizarre sometimes.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

New Half in the Bag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Mordja posted:

Isn't Max Landis recieving critical acclaim for that television show based on a book he didn't write?

Everything Max Landis is involved ends up somewhere between mediocre and awful and he has reached the heights of mediocrity with Dirk Gently.

Paladinus posted:

It features a quirky Brit. The show was bound to succeed.

It's Doctor Who if the protagonists weren't as sanctimonious or schlocky.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 4, 2016

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Did they push back the opening of Sing? It seems like they were advertising Pets, Zootopia and Sing at the same time but the studio realized that was too many talking animal movies.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Maybe they need to chisel the band name into a lot of marble plinths. Scottish people are smart like that.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Also, Westworld is a bit poo poo, honestly. Let's hear a word from our friend Max Landis about this.

Is he implying that the main villain is some kind of evil megalomaniac? Thats just going too far Max.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Zmej posted:

yea, I just found Dolores' journey of escaping the park and the cycle more interesting and satisfying than Maive who literally just goes turns up her character stats like a video game lol

Maeve was still in a loop, Bernard pretty much came out and said it before she shut him up. That's why she went back for her "daughter" instead of leaving the park.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

We Hate Movies is a really good podcast about bad movies, some old, some modern but they purposely avoid beating dead horses like Troll 2 and Manos. It is hosted by four cinephiles who are pretty funny. Luckily they just did End of Days which was a good episode if you want to jump into something recent and they have 200 episodes to peruse too: http://www.whmpodcast.com

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Why would Disney be worried about box office. Batman v 9/11 Hijacker Jesus and Superfluous Squad did great at the box office despite being incoherent garbage.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

WampaLord posted:

To me, a gritty war movie is something where they've been dug in for 2 days, holding on to some god forsaken piece of rock for no good reason, losing friends and limbs.

That's what my mind pictures for gritty, not "pretty people with some dirt on em with space guns"

Star Wars was always WW II but it was dog fights and destroyers not ground combat. I think that is a major disconnect, the ace pilot should be fighting a TIE from another ship not the ground.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk depends i guess. I indulge in it a bit. the vader scene in the hallways was basically what me and my friend wanted in the movie since it was announced except better in some ways. the other stuff except for the last death star firing sequence and maybe the pilots, i felt fit. i didnt notice the blue milk or care, the cantina dudes were a chuckle but not needed. and i rolled my eyes at the threepeoo line. tarkin was ok but he definaly uncanny valley, he felt like an LA noir character. leia was ok. the one thing i dont get is why they were so pissy over the loving AT-ST. like really thats what the bitch about. i guess some nerd came over it, but it kinda just fit with the scene. the imperials sent in some armor to wipe out the rebels, it worked for me.

agree with the first part. I didnt mind the other scene. 1. because it shows vader still clings to the past and 2. it shows even more that krennic is dickhead whiny careerist who is getting cucked by everyone.

I feel like some "fan service" is baked in to this particular story and is really just part of the setting like Darth Vader, Imperial forces, Rebel X-Wings, etc. But one of the things RLM hated about the prequels was the fatalism and inevitability of Anakin's storyline. With the Death Star plans they know Darth Vader will get involved somehow it's hard to surprise the RLM crew and that is what they want.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

A man having sex with his wife must be perverted to that guy considering he wants to turn burly hunks into topless alligator bimbos to gently caress.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The movie reeked of design by committee even though the directing shone through. They needed to flesh out Saw Guerra's relationship with Jyn to characterize her more, they needed to make Cassian more of a bastard to make the universe actually gritty and they needed to flesh out Donny Yen and the Jedi temples to make the Force more organic to the story. Ponda Babba and C3P0 totally took me out of the movie. I really liked Rogue One but the main premise of the mini Plinkett rings true the characters just didn't have a lot of chemistry with the world or each other and they split the antagonist into three people it is a major fuckup on the part of the writers. They probably should have limited the setting to Jedha and Scarif.

Oh yeah and stop putting prestige talent like Jiang Wen and Forest Whitaker in your movies if your are going to use them as wall paper.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 26, 2016

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Fabricated posted:

We don't really know enough about their morals in general.

Like...why would this weasel-like kinda jumpy coward freighter pilot defect? What was he told or what did he see that caused a moral epiphany that made him do something that have seen him being dissected in a torture chamber?

I thought it was the prospect of a planet killing weapon and that Galen told him getting the plans would help "redeem him" but the first part is just a guess.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The Archaic posted:

I laughed harder every time Jay said he personally loved this film.

this will be the new overused RLM catchprase

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

priznat posted:

Whenever a youtube subscription I follow starts doing lootcrate style plugs I just go "oh god dammit"

That stuff looks like the biggest scam in order to polish your nerd bonafides of getting a captain america tshirt in XXXXL

I loving hate that business model because it turns every channel into an unboxing format and its so cheap to send a couple of nerds a box a free poo poo..

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm imagining just a regular unboxing video, but after you finish showing off each item, you pitch it into a wood chipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x46Le6CiBY

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I will say that I find Film Critic Hulk completely unreadable due to his gimmick, and I'm not going to run it through a converter, he should just type normal.

Based on his analysis of Stranger Things Film Critic Hulk sounds about as insightful as the Incredible Hulk.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Arrival isn't an adventure film and Star Trek '09 wasn't made this decade.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The Archaic posted:

Watto is supposed to be heavily based on Shylock from the Merchant of Venice, the classic swindling scheming jewish stereotype.

Also say what you will about Episode 1 and Jar Jar in particular, he has the biggest character arc and Ahmed Best is probably the only actor who put 110% into his performance. It's a shame the guy never worked again in anything noteworthy. Episode 1 also has the best CGI of the prequels because it still had to blend real life with computer animation and was the only one shot on 35mm film. Later we get cartoon Clone-troopers and CGI Yoda for literally no reason.

That is the only defense I will ever give on Episode 1.

Watto is mostly the Sheik who lets Ben Hur drive his chariot

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

a bone to pick posted:

There was seemingly no end to Lucas's re-edits.

He just didn't have the technology in 1999 to bring his true vision to the screen.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

What was the job of the Jedis in the prequels, because they seem to be trade negotiators, peace envoys, bodyguards, space detectives, generals, and also be a holy order, I've forgotten stuff probably.

Episode 1: I cannot fight a war for you.

Episode 2: Literally every Jedi is now a commissioned officer.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

I still wonder if they're just going to attempt to Disappear the prequels into the sarlacc pit of EU Content

How would they sell the box set without 1-3?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Punisher v 9/11 Christ is funny bad. So bad its good.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Split is getting good reviews. I can look past a director excesses if they make a good movie.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Last night I got a hankering to watch something "cyber punk" and after googling I realized other than blade runner there's nothing. I went so far as to download some critically acclaimed animes but got about 2 min in before I realized that anime is trash and no matter how awesome the cyberpunk setting or vistas it's still anime :(

Strange Days

revdrkevind posted:

Nope the asshats were in front of me, Josh was sitting behind me that year. (And he's a perfectly great neighbor.)

Although some nerd did scream at him across the whole aisle and basically fell down on his knees and did an "I'm not worthy" in the most aspie way possible.

Never go full fanboy.

Jesus if you're gonna be a fan boy just drop a meme, don't kowtow to a bunch of people who get ossified drunk and ramble about movies

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 24, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Academy Award-Nominated "Suicide Squad"

LET'S GET IT BOYYYYSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqey_c0SulI

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Heeeey guuuys you should peractice your youtube voice to be more authentic. Please like comment and subscribe.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Jay looks like he just fell off the back of a Appalachian moon shine cart, Mike looks so adorably youthful and healthy, Rich looks like he just finished violently killing someone and is now video blogging about it before even cleaning up the murder scene. (seriously why is that room in such disarray?)

I never noticed it before but Rich does look like he is absolutely savoring a crime scene.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Wasn't there a animation studio recently that was forced to close up shop after doing tonnes of unpaid overtime to finish a film per contract, and then the head animator brought this up while receiving an award at a show and was promptly yanked off stage?

Rhythm and Hues?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Double Bill posted:

In the Nioh Pre-Rec video Jay says he likes Carpenter Brut and Perturbator

All his past bad opinions and preferences have been forgiven

You are in no position to pass judgment on Jay.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

JB50 posted:

Oscar box check: The movie.

Didn't have any disabled people in it, not a biopic or a historical drama. Basically checks no boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

That's just census data. By that logic Dope was Oscar bait. Although I will cede "adapted from a play".

• Locked thread