Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i feel like the overlap between "guys who lift" and "guys who sperg about lifting on internet forums" is roughly 10000x larger than the gender flipped version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

just vape some oil and buy ridiculous amounts of fast food, guaranteed gainz

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

wanna buy a make america swole again hat but dont want to deal with people thinking its a trump hat, dilemmas

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

failed my last set on the bench today w/o a spotter, and i think in the 15~ seconds i was struggling to not have the weight fall on me before someone noticed i hosed up my shoulder somehow :smithicide:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Garrand posted:

You shouldn't have been struggling for 15 seconds. On my phone but can somebody link that one roll of shame video that was posted a bunch in ylls a while back?

gently caress it, found it myself https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUvI8Q6JDk

Holy balls pasting a link in this app is awful

legit thanks, will make sure to do this next time. don't think its anything seriously bad but ohp sure as hell wasnt happenin today

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Two guys at my department have had their tendons snap while doing curls and had to have surgery. I no longer curl heavy weight.

I've stopped trying to curl heavy and instead curly tiny baby weights for high reps/short rests and feel/look better for it

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Managed to get with a girl for the first time in recent memory and it completely hosed with my eating/training schedule for the past two days. drat gains goblins

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

what if i ijust want to assert dominance by showing off my monster dick print

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I just hurt mine. Good excuse not to do any shoulders at all. Hope that helps.

i am not aphysio or anything but a dumbshit on the internet but doing very light (non painful) exercise to recover the strength/range of motion is p much the way to go vs not doing anything at all

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Ok cool well I'm a paramedic and also a personal trainer and when lifting it at all causes shooting pain in your rotator cuff, the best route to go is rest and not lifting at all. But thanks for the input.

i think the cure for being passive aggressive in gbs is to smoke a doobie

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I'm home for the week without gym access + a lovely diet/booze and feel like a literal pile of garbage.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I recently discovered cable shrugs and its revolutionized my trap game. no more shall my forearms fatigue first

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Get bigger by eating more, stop getting bigger by eating less.

Train by doing whatever, it's all the same.

sleeping a lot also helps

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

tore my left pec just shoot me now

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

torn pec update: might just be a pulled muscle. cant lift but no pain really for everyday stuff and assloads of fishoil + a hot pack have brought the swelling down from half a baseball to almost nothing. lucky it wasn't worse but its a loving pain in the rear end that right when i start showing decent results this poo poo happens.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

8 weeks no lifting

absolutely 0 chance i last that long but on the upside yall will be able to call me an idiot when i inevitably reinjure myself!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

eating a shitload and sedentary, i tell myself im recovering and not just getting fat

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Be a normal human being and just say "I'll be done in a few minutes man". Speaking to other people isn't hard.

Shoulder is getting better. I can deadlift again. I can't do any press exercises or OHP but I can do other shoulder exercises.

low weight facepulls with strict form made my shoulders/rotorcuff feel so much better, might be worth a try but obviously ianad and dont know the extent of your injury

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

I'm taking the rest of the week off and it's driving me insane. I have a brain disease that makes me think if I don't show up I am going to lose my gains and not make progress. Tempted to go do cardio for an hour and a half. My idle heart rate is over 80bpm and improving conditioning will greatly help any of my squats that are more than 2 reps. Maybe.

are you on any meds? those can really gently caress with your heart rate. not gunna tell you to stop taking things you need obv but it might explain it. you also could just be in horrible shape

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pon de Bundy posted:

goons help

i started lifting again after a very long break(over a year)

and my right side, specially my right upper back, trics, and my chest are very sore

and then a few days after that particular lift where I lifted way too heavy. . there is like a fat lump under my nipple and now it hurts

ive never had an exercise related injury like this

fitness people seem to think its because i've been sedentary for so long my body was flushed with hormones and this was the reaction to it

as a man and good american i refuse to see a doctor until fluid comes out

its probably a cyst ull be fine but it might not really go away

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

Yeah. I was going to be on the treadmill and maintain ~140bpm for 40+ minutes. I think 130-140 bpm was at around 3-3.2mph which is garbage but I could maintain it indefinitely and felt fine the whole time without even really sweating. I should have lots of easy conditioning gains. I should probably look into cardio more because I can probably keep a higher bpm fine.

My idle bpm is over 90bpm lots of the day. Sitting around for a long time it dips to around 78 now. Probably the lowest it's been since I was 9-10 years old. It was at around 105-108bpm before I started working out with maybe 96-98bpm while sleeping/sitting down. I have a prosthetic aorta valve and some mild stenosis due to that as well as some thickening of the left ventricle. I wasn't even sure I'd be able to lift, but lifting has gone well besides squats.
I don't think HIIT is for me due to the medical stuff and poor conditioning in general. I am fine with wasting my time doing 2-4 hours of cardio per week as long as it gets results.

I am up for trying more intense stuff that's less time consuming, though.

My max bpm I've seen in the past few months is around 210. It felt insane. I'm 29. I don't know what my literal max is. The only medications I'm on are warfarin and 162mg of aspirin per day. Neither should have any impact on heart rate at 103kg.

My lifting conditioning is alright besides while squatting. My heart rate doesn't exceed 155bpm after sets of compounds and usually doesn't even get that high. I can do volume work just fine on all lifts except squats. To compensate, if I'm supposed to squat 10x4 I'll do 5x8 instead but adjust as necessary. I like to try to do more than 5 up to the prescribed amount, next set do 5 subtract the extras and then repeat that cycle until I hit the programmed number of reps for the day at that weight. Takes a lot of time but works well.

The squat struggle makes no sense to me because I can blow my squat numbers of the water on a number of lifts that use any important parts of the squat. I can also do volume work just fine on deadlifts.

is your diet and sleep in check? thats real bad idk. i dont know if warfarin would contribute but it's some serious stuff. def cut out any and all stimulants (including caffeine) immediately if you take any. if your con/ditioning is so poor that that a 20 minute mile is cardio for you i would focus on that and maybe like start walking or swimming or something idk. 103 kg is also overweight unless your built af (which I doubt) so that def contributes

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

if i lose a leg does my muscle mass auto migrate to my other leg or does that need roids

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

It's dumb as gently caress. If you're getting 11 reps on your work set you just did loving cardio, congrats.

i could be wrong, but isn't this like, complete broscience and as long you eat right and workout to failure you'll see growth?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

No pain or injuries today in my workout. Good stuff. I've been generally trying to eat healthier and drink less, but I'm thinking about giving macro counting a go. As it is I just eat a certain amount and try to get at the very least 130g of protein in every day.

as someone that's struggled with alcoholism a lot in my life, I don't think booze and fitness mix at all. it's hard but poo poo gotta be done

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FedEx Mercury posted:

It feels pretty good when you graduate from chin ups to pull ups.

Are pull-ups even better than chin-ups I heard they're bad for ur wrists and poo poo. I just do weighted neutral grip

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

If you're really strong you can pick up your boyfriend and hold him upside down and then you blow eachother standing up

straight and weak but drat the swole gay life is tempting

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pon de Bundy posted:

UPDATE:CNN NEWS ALERT

remember my earlier posts about my nipple having a lump

well it was inflammation from improper lifting, a slight tear in the chest muscle that basically is under your armpit/bicep area

ironically i hurt my chest from doing curls IMPROPERLY

never do curls just workout your rear end god drat

this is pretty similar to the injury im recovering from currently. i got it from going too heavy on pullups though. poo poo loving sucks i cant lift anything because anything using my arms or shoulders also uses my pecs to some degree.

eat all the fishoil (but from what I understand nsaids interfere with healing so dont take those I guess? I'm not a doctor)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

You actually don't need as much protein when you're growing unless you're on drugs. Your body can't process it all. You're better off going crazy on carbs, hitting a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, and relatively low fat.

But if you have trouble eating then cram whatever you can down your throat.

e sorry for giving actual advice in the idiot thread

He's mentioned being on a SARM in like, every other post

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

from what i understand sarms are not roids but are like, a hell of a boost over lifting natty but i do not know for sure because this is just what internet words tell me. i mean ya gotta figure if it shuts down ur nuts its doing something good

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

E_P posted:

I am 100% serious when I say the 1950s steroids (tren test equipose etc.) are much safer then RESEARCH CHEMICALS (NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION) because at least you know the long term effects and that they work versus gambling on doing something both less effective and with questionable results so you can get by on a technicality.

this is just me going from an endocrinology class I took once, but I would expect a literal hormone being harsher on the body in terms of messing with a wide variety of things and causing trouble in the Hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis than a drug which might (or might not) specifically target a subset of receptors that hormone would've because their may have been a couple of related drugs on the market with weird sides.

i dont actually take sarms or steroids just sayin

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Same. This thread isn't fun anymore.

You are the crankiest poster ever

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FedEx Mercury posted:

What do I do when I start feeling full and can't eat more
being completely unironic here. as a former and still mostly tiny twink baby bitch I had to force myself to eat a lot, when I ate so much I thought I couldn't possibly eat anymore i'd get a hot pack (like, a sock full of rice in the microwave or whatever) and just keep it on my stomach for 20 minutes then continue to eat more.

eating is harder than lifting :/

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 17, 2016

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

every other male in my family is bald or balding so im super paranoid. i think ive started noticing some thinning and im only 21 :smithicide:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

You guys used to be cool

What happened

i got injured and started getting way more high unsure if this is more or less cool

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Being healthy is fun and cool and good but it's douchy to act as though you're holier than thou compared to those who drink or get high

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Nudelifts 69x69

420 supersets after

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

bamhand posted:

PRed with a 4 plate squat today. Am I strong yet?

Is this the correct depth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3clkKVcOs3Y

Ended the year at 195/290/405/455 for OHP/BP/DL/Squat. Pretty happy with 5/3/1. I think I gained about 50 pounds on each.

its pretty hard to tell and you lift a hell of a lot more than me and for longer so take this with a grain of salt but im pretty sure its really bad for your knees when they are not stable at the bottom like that and you should prob work on that much more than a greater range of motion

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

again he squats way more than me so i could very well be wrong (and would love to be corrected by those who know/lift a lot more than me) but no im pretty sure your knees should be as stable as possible when squatting, heres an article (talking specifically about how at his deepest before he comes up his knees come inwards suddenly rather than a smooth motion)
https://squatuniversity.com/2016/01/07/the-squat-fix-knee-stability-pt-1/

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

His knees don't go in and stay out the whole time though?

i could be wrong my squat forms p lovely when i go above baby weights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

I'm not that strong but here's an incorrect, unimportant detail that keeps me from getting stronger!

and as a result of that post i got corrected and learned something and all i had to deal with was a couple douchy replies in gbs :)