Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Anyone else have pain in their thumb joints when benching? Any sweet tricks to avoid it? It's a recent thing and not due to any injury that I know of anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Hey bitches, magic is real in the DC universe. Get used to it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Going to the office gym is pretty awkward as you're either rubbing dicks with colleagues

That's called networking and maintaining a good work atmosphere.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How else are you going to feel out the pecking order?

You do that by seeing who can stay in sauna the longest.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Thesaurus posted:

I fell over on my bike two weeks ago, landing hard on the palm of my hand.

I thought it was just bruised but I occasionally get a sharp pain when I put pressure on it in a specific spot. I fear that I've broken one of those weird little palm of hand bones.

I've kept lifting the last two weeks and I bench/military press feel problematic. Grip strength seems about the same.

My plan is to not see a doctor and keep up my routine until either it heals somehow or becomes much worse to the point that I am in desperate need of medical attention. I'm unironically worried that if I go to the doctor they'll tell me no lifting for many weeks, so I'm just going to keep sticking my head in the sand.

I had a similar injury a few years ago, although mine was heavily swollen and pretty unusable for weeks after it happened, so probably more severe than what you have.

Saw a doctor about it, who said there were no visible fractures in the X-ray and I should use the wrist as normal as soon as I could and it would just take time. Took about 6 months for it to stop hurting when doing bench.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've been interacting with a guy at work who says he's a hardcore bodybuilder and a licensed personal trainer, and also says he works out 2 times a day and only uses small weights and tons of volume, and spends 200 euros per month on supplements. He does look like works out so not doubting that, but the way he describes it sounds nuts. Any comments?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The swole man seeks to make his life harder and to expend more energy. He seeks discomfort and pain because that will make him stronger in the future. Thus, energy cannot be wasted.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

For the record, I've no actual opinion on dropping dl weights or Rip.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

As a 6'4'' man I fully endorse this idea that the shorter man is probably inferior and ought to submit to inspection. :D

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Try some variety, like front squats or goblet squats or suitcase squats.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Kettlebell suitcase squats are great btw. Asymmetrical movements in general are cool.

*core, stabilizers, etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've arm wrestled drunk a few times, and every time my hand and elbow have hurt afterwards. Don't do it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I don't remember it's been a while. When I've had pain my elbow and wanted to bench, I've laid down, grabbed the bar and felt out how it feels to put the weight on the joint. If there is like a stinging pain, I don't bench.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 11, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Weighing under 100 kilos would make me uncomfortable... We're not small children ffs

doverhog
May 31, 2013

sassassin posted:

I'm 165 and in a tight vest with a pump I look good. Got a couple of juicy delt veins that pop up, and in the right light you can see all sorts of ab definition (a tan would really help I'm horribly pale atm). I fill out my jeans in ways that make me a little uncomfortable and friends and strangers alike seem to think I'm in good shape or even athletic (lol).

150 is not "practically no muscle", my friend. The "real men weigh >200lbs" crew are always big fat powerlifters who look awful and are insecure about it. 165 is overweight at 5'8, if you're pretty lean above that weight you're doing something right.

Merry Christmas.

The 100 kilos thing only applies if you are 6'4''+ so don't worry about it. Merry Christmas.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

All of life is unnecessary. It requires thought to give it meaning.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I thought it meant time to finish off the bottles of whiskey and port wine left over from Christmas? :confuoot:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I saw this and thought of you guys. Stay strong.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

are there people 👫who actually thinking 🤔💭💭sucking 😏dick 🍆💦is gay?✋❌👬

1. you're sharing👍🍖 protein🍗

2. you're 😏👌admiring masculine💪 🍆👀physique😩😩

3. being in the vacinity of other ⬆️high ⬆️testosterone males 👬👬👅⤴️increases ⤴️your own testosterone👌👍👅

eating pussy 😿🙅‍♂️is gay 👨‍❤️‍👨because you're litterally slurp😏ing down ⤵️estrogen⤵️and long term relationships have been proven to ⬇️lower ⬇️testosterone.

spartans 🏋️‍♀️💪had gay 👨‍❤️‍👨👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨orgies👅💦 all the 🕡🕜time 🕐🕟and they were the 📈⬆️height of 👍👨‍❤️‍👨masculinity. 💪😩you bet they were at ❗️least ❗️fondling eachothers test producers.

all these ☀️summer ☀️DYEL's piss 😑me off😡😡their 😍twink😜bodies don't ❌understand, but in 🕐time i'm sure they'll get it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Somfin posted:

Got some weird slimming/appetite suppressant/metabolism boost supplementy stuff. It's working like a motherfucker. Basically don't feel the urge to eat, just know, academically, that I should.

I'm really drunk and not sure if this is ironic or not but goddamn what ridiculous bullshit.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did 3x10 88 lbs standing overhead press in the work gym before heading home after getting off early, just to kill some time until the buss was near. It was alright.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Lots of BJJ artists do their craft stoned and claim it makes you better at it. It's a whole thing. Nick Diaz, Eddie Bravo, etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Been going to the work gym to do a bunch of clean and press, and/or standing overhead press, on breaks. Union type job with long breaks. The only problem is that the ceiling is too low, so I have to be careful not to slam the bar into the lights. :11tea:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Kazak posted:

Never skip kegel day

Real question: is it feasible to stay at a specific mass/physique once I've reached my intended goal? I'm starting to look good naked and after a few more months I might not want to get any bigger. Or will I?...

Feasibility depends mainly on how much you want that and if you are willing to do the needful for that goal.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm drinking beer and eating salt and vinegar potato chips right now.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Dennis McClaren posted:

Ok I really can't believe this, and I have to tell SOMEBODY. At my gold's gym, we have a guy who is coming in every other day at 8am, during one of the busiest hours. This guy occupies the ONLY power rack we have in this Golds. 3 Squat racks, 1 power rack.

So - what do you think he's doing in our only power rack? Squats? Cleans? Deadlifts? Maybe something stupid like - Curls, Pullups, Shrugs? No. Not him. This guy is doing Yoga, by himself, in our only power rack for 30-45 mins everyday. Yoga loving handstands and backbends and every manner of what belongs in a loving yoga room. Not the VERY MIDDLE of the weight pit in our ONLY power rack.

To top it off, its always the same sweaty gross outfit he wears too - Bell bottom female style joggers, and some flavor of pastel t-shirt. I would never ever film somebody in the gym if it would hurt them - but god drat I am so close because this is just too outrageous to keep to myself.

Yeah, like, go talk to management about that, or talk to him directly. Do not film him, talk to him respectfully but in a firm and commanding manner. You can do it. :11tea:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The nazi dude wanted to show dominance, and you looked like the best target for that display. There is a difference tho, with how people interact with you. I'm 6'4'' but used to be kind of slumped over and skinnyfat. It's hard to describe, but there is a difference.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Oddly, I think that might be the case for me as well. Just kind of chalked it up to getting older or something.

Found out today that my gym has a boxing area on the third floor, and actually that we have a third floor. Looking forward to hitting the bag. Though that means I will probably end up spending 3 hours at the gym on certain days; so much for my life. Embrace the gym.

Maybe you know this already, but do not hit the bag without wraps and some idea of how to do it properly. You can break your wrist real easy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I have sucked a dick and in fact liked it a lot less than eating pussy. :D Confirmed hetero right here.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did bench press again after a break of 3ish months due to various pains, 6x10x137lbs. Feeling sore. :coolfish:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's called the metric system, and some rounding.

*also I bench at home on a lovely thing that can't support any more weight than that

doverhog fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 18, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The actual weight is 62 kg, the bar is 10kg, the plates are vinyl.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I do most of my exercising at home. As a thought experiment, could you guyes do 100 40kg kettlebell swings and 200 hindu squats, or 10x10x62kg bench press? I've not tried to see what my max lifts would be but sure they would be lower than you guys, just curious. I guess what im saying is i am bringing autonomous crossfit into the no crossfit zone, sorry...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

whats a hindu squat? where you just squat all the way down with your butt tucked under you like slavs do?

Bodyweight squat, and you rise up on your balls of feet at the bottom.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yes, and a lot of reps.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Nice.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's the hard thing yeah, you don't know what you can do, or even who you are, unless you try it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It is helpful in a way, yeah. I've been thinking about getting a gym membership starting to do a real program for a while. Maybe will, maybe wont, but it's a thought that's rumbling around.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Work gym got some new equipment, and could do some experiments on bench. It was the day after benching at home, on break, and didn't try very hard, meaning I stopped after, no failed reps. Can bench 176.37 lbs, gonna try for a real one rep max next week if possible, and I guess need to get someone to spot too.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 25, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Had to dump plates to the side at work after benching on coffee break without a spotter, apparently everyone on the floor below drinking coffee on break heard the crash. Oh well, at least knew to leave the lock clamps off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

i drank soy milk once and instantly became a tumblr communist who gets hosed by men

ama

How does being hosed by men compare to a strap-on? Are you more of a marxist in the true sense, or a social democrat?