Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I am having a crohns flare so between the non stop making GBS threads and high fever it appears my two months of actually working out on a consistent basis is coming to an end. On the plus side it appears I won't have to put any effort into cutting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks to food poisoning last night I woke up and could see my abs. It was a Christmas miracle! Unfortunately they vanished once my ED nurse wife gave me a few liters of saline but for a brief moment I had achieved fitness.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

the worst actual workout injury ive seen in person is some idiot doing supinated pullups with a wide loving grip. Was straining for that last part of the set, he screamed, and you could see both his biceps tendons curled up into his delts.

I saw that happen to a guy who decided to get to the gym and immediately try to flip an 800 pound tire with no warmup.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

david carmichael posted:

My gym is cool but nothing is worse for the ego than working out next to stefi cohen.

A few guys at my gym also train at westside. So I pretty much have never been able to even develope an ego.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

dakana posted:

It's a real power move to use it when the rack next to you is already pretty close though because you're like MOVE AWAY FROM YOUR BAR, I'M loving SQUATTING NOW.

Also this guy is trying to steal my gains by waking up every 3 hours during the night while his twin sister is like lol, gonna sleep for 9 hours, get your swole on.

Jokes on him, I'm using him to do static bicep curls

I trained my 1 year old to climb on my back for pushups. Unfortunately she loves it way too much and will now pull me down to force me to do more

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Wendler is a shithead chud as well.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Someone convince me not to do the conjugate method in like a month. My form is bad, im weak, i have no coach and no good training partners. But i have a shitload of bars, a mono, bands, chains, ghr, hyper, belt squat, etc. and if i set up my DE days with straight weight I should be able to do my ME or DE days in any gym while Im travelling

Conjugate is awesome and I wish I had started it last year instead of getting super weak loving around with no program after having a kid. But my God make sure your conditioning is decent

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Speaking of variation im like two weeks in to the conjugate method and i dont think i hit quite as much volume as i was doing a dan greene inspired thing, but i sweat so much more and have way more fun. Also the workouts are way shorter

Yeah conjugate is the most fun I have had with lifting in years and the short rests make things go by faster. I also love using bands and wish I had started way sooner

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
The best part about working out at home is when I get a sudden crohns flare up I dont get yelled at by the owner of my old gym for destroying the bathroom like 5 times during my max effort lower day. Guess my summer cut is starting now

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Ladies, gentleman, friends, neighbours, lovers: my brain has broken and im going to start using bands and chains on dynamic effort days. I need to make sure i always do DE days on weekends, or i need to get a doctors note explaining why i need to bring 70 pounds of chains through customs

Bands on the DE days are great but I haven't figured out a decent way to use bands when I squat since I am using a pretty lovely rack in my basement now. I wish I could use chains more but I mainly workout at 5am and my setup is right below my 18 month old-'s room.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

david carmichael posted:

If you have 4 extra 45 plates you can anchor the bands with plates. Wenning explains at like 4:30 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3PM9_MwlK2Q

Also train your toddler to sleep through clangin and bangin

She actually sleeps like a champ but around 5 or 6 she is a pretty light sleeper and will either wake up immediately or stay asleep until 830. Naptime in the afternoon she is a rock and I can do a full deadlift session underneath her.

Her favorite activity is also lifting things. She got super mad the other day when she couldnt budge my sandbag and ended up just screaming and hitting it

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

bomb posted:

Baby chat: I’m about to have twins, might take a break when they first come we will see how it goes 🤷‍♂️. My 40kg and 48kg kettlebells arrived yesterday so I’ll be able to get in some good work at home either way.

Congrats! It will be insane but a lot of fun. What worked for me is I started 531 so everything was completely planned out for me for the entire month. That way even if I was beyond exhausted I didnt have to think about what I was going to end up doing. And at the end of the day of you dont work out its not the end of the world.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Theres a video where someone asks dave tate to criticize lebrons squat. And his response was basically whatever lebron is doing obviously works just fine for him

I literally started to look for the video as soon as I saw the first lebron comment. Dave Tate and most of the elitefts crew are pro follows and he has a ton of great stuff for free (including an e book that breaks down the conjugate method) on his site. He will even critique your form if you send him a video although he tends to get back to you faster if you are using or wearing something from elitefts

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Whipstickagostop posted:

I remember watching some TV program as a kid where they injected a UFC fighter with adrenaline to see if it made him punch harder. I don't remember the result, but it did make him burst into tears after punching a test dummy as hard as he could.

I gave myself a shot during a wilderness emt training and all it did was make me super nauseous and dizzy. I probably would have cried if I tried to punch something as well

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

dakana posted:

I was considering getting a power rack for the basement because twins. Less time away from home, more flexibility on when I could work out.

Though recently I
A. Pooped while holding one baby while the other played on a towel in front of me
B. Showered and shaved while holding a baby
on the same day. Pretty sure it was Fathers Day.

Something tells me working out would go to the back burner if it's not something I do at work during lunch.

I built a basement gym before my kid was born and it is awesome. I still have a membership for my gym because it's an awesome gym and I can still get there but working out at home is the way to go. I would say the flexibility thing didnt really work out and I now get up at 5am to work out every day but that is mainly because I like routine and trying to work out around napping was driving me crazy.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Just hit 295 in bench, my goal for a while has been 300 and this was a 15lb pr. I probably could have gotten 300 but wanted to be conservative and the jump I was making anyway was a lot. Closing in on 400lb squat and will max out deadlift in a few weeks to see where I am at but overall conjugate is awesome and this is the most fun I have had lifting in years. My weight has stayed around 180 but thanks to crohn's it probably wont get much higher

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Thats awesome! What does your conjugate set up look like?

Keep in mind I have a pretty bare bones home gym set up right now but here is how I have run the last 2 weeks

ME Upper: Max effort bench single against average elitefts mini band and light mini
Floor press 3× 6-8
Banded face pulls a lot
Pull ups 3 ×max

ME Lower: Max effort front squat with 50 lbs chains
Pause squats 3 ×6-8
Good mornings 3 × 12
Planks/hanging leg raise

DE upper: speed bench against average mini band (I find using bands for speed bench has helped with elbow pain)
2 board press 3×5 ( I have been going really heavy on these)
Pushups against average band 3×max

DE lower: box squat 3×8
rack pulls 3×5 (again going heavy with these)
planks

conditioning wise I have been just carrying a 80lb sandbag outside on my non training days

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

There's an entire thread about that in the goon doctor. Also lots of butt stuff there. In a bad way.

I am married to a ed nurse, can confirm they are batshit. Also at my colonoscopy a few weeks ago I heard a nurse say that my butt looks awesome right before I went under.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Both my 2 year old and 4 week old managed to get sick at the start of week 4 of my first 531 cycle which works out since I don't feel like I am missing anything by not working out. I will probably end up doubling my preworkout consumption to survive though.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just spent nearly my entire gym time emergency making GBS threads.

Didn't know cut time was coming so soon.

I am trying to ride out a Crohn's flare without medication and honestly I have never looked better

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Plenty of people do conditioning on rest days and plenty of people even do complexes on rest days for whatever reason. The issue is more repeating the process until your dead and most people shouldn't be doing something like that as part of a smart program. If you can do it and keep making progress on your main program more power to you but I would question how hard you are working on your main days if you can do that on your rest days

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

Sounds like they'll still compete but no audience. I'm guessing we'll still get live streams.

They completely canceled the animal Pak cage which bummed me out.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

I'm actually looking into ordering a bar and weights from Rogue to train from home when they close everything down.

Which is their best use for everything barbell?

I have a rogue 2.0 bar and haven't had any complaints. Aggressive knurling and is a decent price

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Switched my fitness goals from pure strength to looking good in my Lord Humungus costume. Also myprotein is selling weight gainer for half off if you are looking to not lose any weight during quarantine

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
If anyone is looking for home gym equipment, rogue is going to begin manufacturing PPE and ventilators starting Monday so if you were on the fence about an order, do it and support a company that is doing something awesome

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

That is remarkable and I want to know more.

Medical Supply Update: We are taking the following measures

1) Product Development Team is working solely on medical supplies - Masks, Gowns, Shields and ventilators.

2) Manufacturing: We have begun sewing masks and will kick into full production Monday. Next items we are going to make are gowns, shields and ventilators.

We have purchased three Industrial 3D printing machines to help make parts.

3) Supply Chain: We are prioritizing these raw materials and components for these as well.

--

Per earlier post we are also seeing very strong demand for our products and will do our best to get those items to you in an expeditious manner.

We would encourage you if you want to do this in your state to contact the local hospitals and your state leadership.

Thank You

Rogue Team

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
A guy at my old gym just build a wooden rack and posted an Instagram video of him putting up a 800x5 squat. His rack looks absolutely bombproof though

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Thor and Eddie boxing is so incredibly stupid and I hate that it is happening

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
He effectively blew up Reebok negotiations as well so loll. Elitefts also completely dropped all metal products from their site after their CEO posted some vile poo poo

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Their original site that used to post WOD also had some pretty racist poo poo on it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Rogue jumped early on moving to help make PPE and sponsors a pretty diverse selection of athletes including Rob Kearny.

Same with Elitefts, I don't think they would ever qualify as "woke" but Dave Tate is a guy that legit cares about teaching people and has put out videos and articles on fitness for special needs kids. But more importantly I think what happened with George Floyd opened the eyes for a lot of people who never directly had to confront what racism actually is in this country.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Joe Sullivan, while crude, actually is a surprisingly not lovely person from what I can tell. He was quick to call Larry Wheels a piece of poo poo, and frequently yells at people to take care of their mental health, too. Seems like a good dude.

Yeah the first video I saw of him was ranting that saying the gym is your therapy is stupid because therapy should be your therapy. He also seemed like he generally wanted to learn about BLM when the protests started this year.

Dave Tate seems to have some chuddy tendencies but is also very outspoken about how to autism and has a ton of free stuff on his site. Elitefts was also the first site to get rid of all their metal gear following the owner revealing himself to be a huge poo poo head

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Whipstickagostop posted:

I have to stop myself from basing my preworkout purchases on how cool 13 year old me would find the tub. Or ones with stupid names, like "Not4Pussy". That one came in "DEATH APPLE" flavour so you know it will be good.

The guy that ran Chaos and Pain workout supplements used to work out at my old gym and he was pretty much exactly what you would expect from a guy that sells products cslled "cannibal agro" and "cannibal kraken"

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

So the coolest dude i'd ever meet?

He was probably insane and like really aggro. He once came up to me and started curling and yelling "this is what a man looks like" and I just burst out laughing and I thought he was going to fight me he got so angry. The gym owner also kept getting pissed cause the guy would have all his private "supplements" delivered to the gym.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Chaos and Pain... Was that the blog where you'd be reading some training article then boom right in the middle of the article, full screen vagina pic?

Well his girlfriend was a stripper who was like 30 years younger than him and he constantly posted photos of her on Facebook so probably

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Elitefts has power bars in stock right now so jump on that if you want to build up your home gym

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Standing Abs are what westside recommends and ab work is done every session. I use some bands over my pull-up bar for them.

I used to not do any core work cause I was a moron who thought squatting and deadlifts was enough and then once my back pain became so bad I relented and started doing lots of planks and standing abs. Now I have no back pain.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Fallows posted:

I just wanna keep doing 5/3/1 and keep make my 5lb a month on my lifts and maybe set a record for biggest spreadsheet.... Thx for the suggestions guys

Standing abs is the movement in a standing cable crunch? Google is confusing me

https://www.elitefts.com/education/standing-ab-movements-to-build-your-squat-and-deadlift/

I use bands over my basement pull up bar. They are awesome

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

Lol trying this and my bands don't give enough resistance and it's lame

You might be using your back too much. Really focus on pulling down with your ab muscles. I used to think it wasn't hard and someone fixed my form and i almost threw up in front of them during the next set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Stealth Tiger posted:

That depends, was he the one who talked about how you have to contract your sphincter muscle while squatting, or do I have him confused with someone else from the internet

Opening your taint is Ed Coan