Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there any decent option for a garage workbench that doesn't involve 1) making it wholesale out of lumber or 2) spending hundreds of dollars for a ready-made one? Craigslist is coming up with pure crap right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nm posted:

So I'm house, car, and tortoise sitting for my parents as they are in europe.
Some loving crackheads broke into my mom's car and literially stole nothing as far as I can tell (even the cheap harbor freight portable air compressor).

Like even the change and charging cords are there. loving crackheads.

Plus its gonna rain tommorow and no glass places seem to be open.

Edit: the garage is blocked by a broken 240z, so I can't even do that.

Goondolences for your loss etc. but can you tell me more about that 240z :allears:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sidewalk gum posted:

So who has a slow cooker here? I'm thinking of getting one but I need recipes my kids will eat.

I have one and it owns. I think everyone in my family owns one of these: https://www.amazon.com/West-84905-5-Quart-Oblong-Shaped-Cooker/dp/B001AH5H0A and they're fantastic.

Here's a recipe my mom used to make that we loved; it's got a sweet BBQ sauce kind of flavor so all of us kids adored it:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here's a good fuckin' bean recipe that my mom would make. We just called it "bean thing" because we didn't know another name for it. It's Midwestern as hell but in a good way.

Bean Thing

1# hamburger
1 can kidney beans
1/4 to 1/2# chopped bacon
1/2 c. chopped onions
1 can pork and beans
1 can of navy, red, or northern beans

sauce:
1/2 c. catsup
1/2 c brown sugar
salt and pepper
squirt of mustard and/or molasses
dash of Worchestershire sauce

Brown and drain the bacon , hamburger and onion. Put in the crock pot with the pork and beans. Drain the juice off the other cans of beans and add. Mix the sauce ingredients together and stir into bean mixture. Put it in the crock pot on low all drat day.

Eat it with some fresh-baked bread because you just made a zero-effort dinner and have time left over to bake some bread.

Other things:

• Put some chicken breasts, "taco seasoning", and maybe a cup of water in before you leave for work, shred it when you get home and eat with tortillas
  • Chili (with beans you ignorant poo poo, if you don't want beans just make carne adovada)
  • Roast beef. Put down a layer of quartered onions & potatoes and carrot chunks underneath the roast; they will be insanely delicious.
  • Carne adovada. Look it up, then make it. It's incredible. The longer you cook it, the better it'll be.
  • All sorts of stews
  • Indian daal (way faster in a pressure cooker but you can make it in a slow cooker if you soak the lentils overnight and then cook all day)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

blk posted:

I'd skip Chevy's (chain platter Mexican) and Zeppo's (fake Italian). Food in Lake Oswego in general is usually overpriced and disappointing. The best Mexican in Portland is probably Nuestra Cocina. Taqueria Nueve and Porque No are OK for upscale tacos. There are many good Italian places in Portland, I haven't been to Piazza Italia in almost 10 years but it was pretty authentic when I went.

If you are going out in LO I would suggest Chuckie Pies for Neapolitan pizza. A lot of people like Nicoletta's Table for Italian but I think it's overrated. Tavern on Kruse has pretty good burgers, salads etc.

Yeah I've been to Chevy's down in California and lol that someone recommended you hit up the loving Mexican Applebee's while visiting Portland.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

My god drat dad keeps bringing up leasing when I drive like 20k miles a year.

Is there a site where I can just give him the numbers why leasing is terrible

I don't know a ton about leasing but I thought it was pretty much always a bad choice unless you're pretty well-off and the kind of person who would be buying a new car every 2 years anyway?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bubbles is a whore for pats:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Why not use the right tool, the oven? Uneven browning

Yeah, baking's extremely easy and it won't leave the middle rolls raw-looking.

Slow cookers own for all sorts of other stuff though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is this Micromancer? Or his long lost brother?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Not shown, I've added three always-on dash cams, facing rearwards, sides, and inside. Five dash cams total, $35 Amazon jobbies that don't draw too much power.

Panoptivan

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Prong Song posted:

Funny enough if he's doing that at a high enough rate he is actually a dealer, just proving the point.

I answered a craigslist ad a few months back and it turned out to be a dude who was basically doing this, running an unlicensed dealership / car flipping operation with his brother. He started off trying to get me to somehow prove to him I was sufficiently interested in whatever model of car it was, basically wanting me to commit to buying it before he'd even show it to me. I told him he apparently doesn't need to sell it that badly, and if he wants to play dealer he needs to be willing to put some loving time into it. I wrapped up saying I thought it was scummy as hell to post in the private party section and that I'd be reporting his post.

He then called back twice trying to get me to come take a look at it, and his brother texted a few hours later asking if I wanted to see the car.

The takeaway is that I've concluded the PUA "negging" strategy actually works, at least with douchebag unlicensed car dealers.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ferremit posted:

its somewhat obvious when theres even a big shiny circle where the apple logo originally was.

That's the fingerprint scanner, in the same spot as every other Android fingerprint reader I've ever seen.

Unless you think they should put it centered right under the screen on front :haw:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I would be happy to do jury duty, IIRC it's fully paid time off for work. I'd also be interested in witnessing and taking part in the process.

However, while I got notifications a few times in California, every time I'd end up checking the website on the day of and find that my group had not been called.

From what I've heard, though, it's quite likely I'd be disqualified in a lot of cases, because I actually know things about computers and computer security and science and such, and that just Won't Do.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nm posted:

^^^^^^
No one cares about that for the random rear end DV trial you're going to get. Everyone has this vision of this huge case, but 75% of cases that go to trial are misdo DV cases where the entire fight is over who slapped who first.

My wife got called several times and on all but one case, she was dismissed as soon as they found out she worked in a biomedical field (pharmaceutical/oncology r&d)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

There would be a lot more vegetarians if people had to kill the animals they were going to eat.

I'd say just enjoy your food. If you don't like how it's being killed don't eat it?

I raised pigs for 4-H from age 8 until I graduated high school. I would always get two. One reason is that a lone hog will get kind of lonely and be hard to deal with.

The other reason was so we had a MEAT SPARE

The interesting thing about living in a rural area is that there are guys who will come out to your farm with a big box truck, slaughter an animal on premises, and haul it back to his butcher shop for final processing. They kill the animal, bleed it, gut it, and skin it on-site.

I learned a lot about porcine anatomy as an 8 year old. I cried a little, but then I ate the pork. It would have been disrespectful not to.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

scuz posted:

My mood was just awful today and I'm convinced it's because my girlfriend put kale in the soup we had for dinner last night.

:sever:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

Yeah, unfortunately dashi (the traditional fish stock) is one of the core seasonings of Japanese food. I somehow know a couple of people who are trying to keep to a vegetarian diet over here and I have no idea how they do it because if something doesn't have secret fish, it's probably got secret meat.

My vegetarian friend says you have to ask for "Buddhist food" but yeah at the end of the day you'll probably be kind of screwed in general.

Dashi is so drat good though...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It's an interesting paradox that nobody who has a chain on their wallet actually has anything worth stealing in said wallet.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We pulled the goalie a couple months ago for the hat trick (and caboose) of kids

This took me far too long to parse out, and I frequently have to read reports from federal agencies, so congrats!

Also legit congrats on possibly being pregnant

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

scuz posted:

Saw the new Ghostbusters film for the second time tonite and it's no worse than other Paul Feig movie. I laughed at a buncha lines but you have to try to divorce this movie from the originals. It's nearly impossible but once you're able to do that, the movie is fine.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved the new Ghostbusters.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Went go karting, they stuck us with a group of people that were the slowest mother fuckers I have ever seen.

Friend and I both got black flagged, cause there was zero way to pass without shoving them out of the way.

Guy who black flagged us caught us in the parking lot, apologized and gave us free credits for next week :v:

Now to go watch some 410s tonight.

Went karting with a bunch of interns a few years back, the first few laps were fine but then everyone else got around behind the slowest guy in the group... who then completely failed to let anyone past for the remaining 10 laps, despite him getting the "let people pass you gently caress" flag every single lap. The plot of racer positions at the end of the race was laughable, because at a certain point it locked into the exact same positions for the remainder of the race thanks to this rear end.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Not only that, but he eluded to quiting if he didn't get it, then retracted after i didn't respond very well to say the least. His rear end was about to get fired.

He probably alluded to quitting. :spergin:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

So could you count how many vehicles have you actually owned in your adult life? IE: Runners, not just parts cars/quick flips?

He's my entire list going back to about 1989 (not including a few which were flips or bikes):

1975 Lincoln Mk IV
1979 280ZX
1985 300ZX Turbo
1988 Dodge Colt (came with the wife)
1998 Jeep Cherokee
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
2000 Honda Accord
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
2007 Toyota 4Runner
2010 Toyota Tacoma
2011 Subaru Legacy - now
2015 Toyota Tacoma - now
1999 Porsche 911 - now

Mine going back to about 2003, including motorcycles because gently caress it, in approximate order of purchase:

1990 Crown Victoria
2001 Hyundai Accent hatch
1982 Suzuki GS 650GL
2012 Honda Fit
2010 Triumph Bonneville - now
2012 Toyota Camry - now (wife's car)
1962 Studebaker Lark Daytona
1979 Honda CM400T - now
1971 MG Midget - now
1986 Crown Victoria
1987 (1986??) Mazda B2000
1982 Datsun 280ZX - now
2005 Ford Ranger - now

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A mention of it in the 14" thread reminded me: My Summer Car hits Steam Early Access on Monday!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There's a lot stranger things in the world. The black people as you state isn't exactly accurate and I will admit that there are things in the history of the LDS church I can't exactly explain for the reasoning. I am comfortable and confident in my faith though.

quote:

As recorded in the Journal of Discourses, Young taught:

"You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, uncomely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind . . . Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been killed, and that would have put a termination to that line of human beings. This was not to be, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 290).

"In our first settlement in Missouri, it was said by our enemies that we intended to tamper with the slaves, not that we had any idea of the kind, for such a thing never entered our minds. We knew that the children of Ham were to be the "servant of servants," and no power under heaven could hinder it, so long as the Lord would permit them to welter under the curse and those were known to be our religious views concerning them," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 172).

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 10, p. 110).

The church will tell you that this was merely a prominent view among all contemporary Americans, and that the church wasn't really very racist at all: https://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

Can we argue about guns now instead of sky wizard nonsense please, I find it more productive

both guns and sky wizards are actually extremely cool and good, but people use both of them in bad ways

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Listening to Primus, drinking unusual booze, and thinking about 14" :getin:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Ok, having watched the rest of Black Mirror S3, the other episodes are a lot better than the first one.

Interesting there's a self-driving Land Rover concept car in the last episode, though the episode itself reminded me of Bugs.

The ending of the first episode made me smile, though. the part in the jail

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I swear I do work on cars sometimes

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fugg DDD::

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516750/

IT'S loving HERE

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Sorry guys, saving my cash for Dishonored 2.

Come on, at least buy My Summer Car, it's only $13.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Where is your nearest manhole to the blockage? Coming at it from the other side works just fine, too.

Manhole? Can't you just go in from the cleanout?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Well, that's kind of what I mean. We normally don't have a cleanout in that sense on our plumbing, we use a larger drain cover that just gives an opening to the pipe.

Also, don't that style normally run at 45 degrees to the direction flow, making for a near-impossible 135 degree back turn to try and rod upstream?

I have this right outside the house and while I haven't had to use it I expect it to be pretty excellent in case of any major problems:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Perkele!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I spent like 20 minutes getting to town to buy a loving fan belt and then the cops chased me and I ran into a tree and died. I had that loving engine half done too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

This took me a full minute to process.

It takes a really long time to walk or drive anywhere in this game.

And there's this police checkpoint... couldn't figure out how to get past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I have no complaints about My Summer Car chat in this thread (I started it, after all) but I posted a more thorough writeup of my first night's playing over in the Games thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794951&pagenumber=1

• Locked thread