Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CJacobs posted:

Read Only Memories tried that and it fuckin sucked so I wouldn't go that far

ROM is hilarious for dreaming up a plot contrivance to put furries on the same level as actual real world persecuted groups. I like that the game has Hassy in it though, more games should have Hassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Please do not name your child after video games.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah but they're getting Bethesda games for their approximate value.

The low low value of your child's lifelong scorn and resentment.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so glad Canada has laws against this kind of thing.

I would never want to live in a country where I can't name my son Video James.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

heres a cat i saw on twitter

There is a cat in my hometown that looks like this, but it is also 1/2 manx cat so it has a tiny bob tail and longer legs. It's beautiful and friendly and let me rub its belly and it probably cost someone like $1000 dollars to breed, it's a fancy cat.

mutata posted:

Ok! Games with fun, expressive, and/or creative crafting or building systems?

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is fun but you will need a 360 or an xbox one to play it. It was released for 360 but it's in the Rare collection for the xbone. You make various kinds of vehicles for vehicular platforming and racing tasks, there's a nice amount of variety to the kinds of tasks you have to complete and the levels are pretty.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Did that homestuck game ever actually come out? I didn't just imagine Hussie crowdfunding that, did I?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

It's a development costs thing too, all the games that are being developed today with the budgets that those PS2 titles had are now coming out for steam, to the extent that they're coming out at all. Like, what was the studio size for a good PS2-era game, maybe 20 or 30 people? And now we've got indies developing with teams of maybe 5 or 6, and AAA games with teams in the hundreds. It's a different marketplace.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

When I was a child I remember playing Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology at my friend's houses because my parents hated video games. Good times.

FirstAidKite posted:

It's too bad that codename steam didn't pan out well. interesting concept but really lackluster execution from everything I saw and the demo I played. I wonder if it'd have at least been a little bit better received if they hadn't ignored the people saying it was way too slow waiting for the enemies to do their thing. I mean, they ended up putting out a patch to fix that anyway, but it really does seem like something that should have been there all along considering how many people were responding with "this is kinda interesting but man the wait time during enemy turns is bad"

Another aspect that seemed disappointing was the lack of real character and personality to anybody, they didn't really seem to have much characterization in the demo I played and I've heard that in the final game it's pretty much just "hi I'm [character] from [book/folklore] and now I'm in your team" and that the steampunk was just generic ugly brass poo poo. So much for being nintendo's version of the league of extraordinary gentlemen lol.

Like, drat, it could have been something pretty neat but it looks like such an ugly game. Also lol about them including john henry in the game as a dude who is like "man, steam hammers are pretty cool, I'm gonna get myself turned into a cyborg and augmented with my very own steam hammer"

Codename Steam looked really ugly and the sooner Steampunk vanishes from the Earth, the better.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

hostess with the Moltres posted:

for smt:iv a I used the given name and my real name for my streetpass. generally i use the given name in games unless its pokemon. what do you all do?

Every time I play a pokemon game I use a different spelling or abbreviation of my name in it. I like putting "buddy" in the name box too sometimes because it makes all the NPCs sound friendlier.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I played the demo for Wet many years ago, the lady drinks bottles of whisky to heal herself and there are QTEs. It's like a lovely Tarantino/70's exploitation-esque thing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I just played the new pokemon demo and it was nice, but the one time I had to fight two pokemon at the same time the framerate dropped like a log. I guess that's what I get for not purchasing a New! Nintendo 3DS XL :shrug:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I assume the New's slightly better processor or whatever it has would help it with the framerate dips, but I don't know if it adds extra features besides that. The demo ran absolutely fine until there's three pokemon in the battle screen at the same time, and iirc X and Y only dipped in framerate for me in the really big city and maybe when, again, there were a lot of pokemon in the same battle screen. It's not worth replacing my 3DS at this point with the NX announcement (whatever it may be) round the corner.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I like the bit in Bastion where the guy betrays you and ruins the floating island you spent the last four hours repairing, and then you have to repair it again, so by the time you get around to going after him you're really frustrated with him and all his buddies who have been loving with you all game long. Like, it's not a particularly complicated example of what we're talking about in regards to controlling the player's emotions via gameplay, but it's one that worked well for me.

Games (or narrative/role playing games at least) are interesting in how much they need to make the player want to continue, because it's an active medium, and how that intersects with the stories that the games end up telling, especially because the story also has to take into account what a player can do within the game. Killing enemies is a system that is easy to programme so it's had an entrenched, longstanding influence on video game design, and as a result of this there are so many narratives that push a player to have a desire to kill someone because having the emotional climax of the story be something the player can carry out themselves is going to be more satisfying than watching a cutscene.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Absolutely.

There's also something to be said for the stories players create themselves. When I play Invisible Inc I get super attached to my agents as they escape the most harrowing situations (or don't) and it's completely separate from the game's story. Or, say, the longer form campaign in Disgaea - you get attached to your little dudes even if they never talk.

In my opinion the most important thing in making a game with a narrative is lining up what the story wants the characters to do and what the gameplay wants you, the person controlling the character(s), to do. Even in a game with a very sparse narrative framework like X-Com or Civ, what story you are given lines up nicely with what the game is driving you to want as a player. The aliens are invading, and this will be a difficult fight for survival. I want to beat the aliens, and it's difficult because my soldiers keep on dying! The tone of the gameplay matches the tone of the story, the goals are the same, it works really well! Build a Civilization That Will Stand the Test of Time, the Civ narrator tells you, and the gameplay drives you toward literally doing this and you get a kick out of all the historical narratives that it generates along the way, when you recapture a city you settled or spread your religion or whatever.

Contrast this with, say, Bioshock: Infinite. What does the game's narrative ask you to do? Rescue Elizabeth and take her away from the floating city. What does the gameplay tell you to do? Shoot all the people. I can't remember if you can even run through a combat arena in Infinite without killing all the people within it first.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I hope it does something other than play Nintendo games and a bunch of old-rear end ports, both because I wish Nintendo financial success as a company as they make fun and good games, and also I would like to purchase a console with a more varied game library than that.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I'm sure the 3ds will remain more popular in Japan and Nintendo is undoubtedly planning their next handheld.

Any reason why you think this? It seems like if someone likes the 3DS they will probably like this new console, since it pretty much fills the same role and will have a bigger games library going forward, plus you can plug it into your teevee and continue to game on the big screen.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

It having a bigger library if games going forward is only true if they are going to stop supporting the 3DS, which as far as I can tell there is no confirmation of right now.

Is there confirmation that Nintendo rolled all their dev teams together rather than having WiiU teams and 3DS teams? Because if all of Nintendo's internal development teams are making games for one console now instead of two, then there's going to be a bigger library and a bigger release slate year-on-year.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

They merged the hardware teams, not their software teams and there's no way of knowing if they did it with the intention of only having one platform, or because they wanted to have better cross-platform functionality. They never had Wii U teams or 3DS teams, but rather teams that work on specific games. Even if they decide to focus on just the Switch there will never be official confirmation, they'll just phase out the 3DS quietly like they did with the Gameboy line.

Edit:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/20/12986612/pokemon-nintendo-nx

Ahh, ok, thank you for the clarification. I think it makes a lot of sense for them to just focus on developing for the one console going forward, but like you say, I think it's dependent on the console being a success. There's no word on the battery life yet, but outside of that I really think the only thing preventing the Switch from being something you can stick in your bag and play on your commute or whatever is a protective case like you can buy for pretty much any model of phone currently on the market, which seems like a pretty realistic proposition? Just something to cover the screen with a couple of divots to house the thumbsticks. It doesn't look any less portable than a tablet.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

IPAs are a good way to ease yourself into drinking beers that aren't lagers, Kite. They are like the next level up from lagers (although there are nice lagers that are not Budweiser et al), and then once you are used to IPAs you can start drinking darker, hoppier beers. That's how I did it, anyway. There's so many fancy craft beers available nowadays that I tend to just order whatever at a bar and see how it goes, it's more fun than drinking the same thing every time you go out with your buds. Enjoy the variety!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

The taps in the bar or the sign behind the bar will generally tell you what kind of beer it is (IPA, Amber, lager, etc). Otherwise just ask the barman/woman/person because they will probably know exactly what they all are from having to explain it to patrons every night for weeks.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Retroblique posted:

Okay, it's a November game, but they just released the system requirements for Watch Dogs 2 on PC and apparently it's going to support the XB1 and DS4 controllers but no mention of the 360 controller. Okay, not a huge deal for me, because whereas I've exclusively used a wireless 360 controller on PC up until now, I do have a couple of DS4s (but no adapter for PC on account of not having needed one yet). I guess it makes sense that PC games would eventually require the XB1 or DS4 gamepads over the 360 or whatever else, so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get that DS4 adapter.

My question is: does the DS4's charging cable work on XB1 controllers? I'd assume it does because it's just basically a micro-USB cable, but just wanted to make sure, especially seeing as Googling such an apparently easy-to-answer question returns every answer from "yes" to "no" and everything in between. Thanks, internet. I just want a straight answer from someone who knows rather than a 12 year-old on GameFAQs making a wild guess.

Also, how's the battery life on the XB1 controller vs. the DS4? The DS4's pretty terrible, barely lasting more than about 4-6 hours on a full charge. "Say goodbye to AA batteries!" boasts the Microsoft web site regarding the XB1 controller. Yeah, well my wireless 360 controller lasts over a month on just a couple of AAs, thankyouverymuch Microsoft. Not exactly something I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to if the new, improved alternative can only be measured in hours.

I'm not in any rush to grab an XB1 controller if I already have a DS4 that just needs a PC adapter, but if the XB1 controller's battery life is significantly better than the DS4's then I may want to consider one of those instead.

The DS4 just needs a standard microUSB adapter. A lady I rented a room from just gave me a DS4 that I guess someone else left there, and I just plug it into my computer with the same cable I use to charge my phone and it works fine. You can use a programme called InputMapper to let you use it on any game that supports a standard/360 controller on PC, and it'll also allow you to use the little touchpad on the DS4 as a laptop-style trackpad which is a pretty neat feature. I'm not sure about the battery life, but again, InputMapper tells you how much battery the controller has left, it's a useful little programme.

Real hurthling! posted:

i now have played the betas for all the big shooters and since i don't play many mp focused shooters here's my thoughts

tf2 is very fun. death comes at what feels like the right amount of time. traversal feels great too. the main beta mode was the one with ai enemies so even scrubs like me feel like they are contributing. of all the games this one felt the most like a game i would play but mp might be dead soon after launch

This made me double take. I'm so out of touch with anyone who plays multiplayer shooters, does Titanfall 2 have a shot at any longevity or has that market been cornered by Overwatch and Destiny and Battlefield at this point?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

In the sun and moon demo there's a lady who's dating a Machamp. Things are starting to get too crazy

Please respect the cultural practices of the Alola Islands!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah, the last of us is bad

imo story can enhance gameplay, and story can be expressed in ways that never interfere with the gameplay. like having a boss show up a couple of times with new moves each time you fight him or smth. without any dialogue you start to kind of see that boss as a rival, and if the encounters are kept engaging you start to look forward to the next one, and then when the game makes it clear that this one is the final fight with that dude (because of new music + dramatic lighting or w/e) you get into the fight more. that's a story. i like some games with big stories told mostly through cutscenes and text and stuff, but a game can have plot/character beats without pausing gameplay for even a second. so i can get not liking triple a Story Games but i dont think it's fair to dismiss the idea of story in games out of hand since even if you're a gameplay first kind of person, some basic visual storytelling can make a game more enjoyable and exciting.

im gay.

A thing I really like about Gone Home is that the story is a puzzle, it's a really nice combination of story + game mechanics. Like the only game mechanics in Gone Home are looking at objects and listening to audiologs, and yet with both of those elements the same puzzle is still there. You don't always find the logs in the "correct" order so you're trying to work out what's actually going on in your little sister's life, and then both the rest of your sister's character and the entire two stories about your mum and dad are puzzles where you have to figure out what's going on by searching rooms for objects and lining up dates and events on letters, and if you miss an object, sometimes you can fill in a blank and sometimes you can't. I found it a really fun puzzle that you don't often see in video games! I think because if you put something like that within a larger video game, there'd be a point later on where you'd have to input the answer back into a system like a dialogue choice or whatever, and puzzles of gone home are just sort of figuring out who you are and what's going on, and although they are satisfying to solve they don't give you neat answers that fit into dialogue choice boxes.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Also Re: video game story chat, something I find really funny and interesting is the whole interplay between the story written for a narrative-driven game and the technical and budget restrictions that come with making video games. You write the script, you've got an eight month pipeline for cutscenes or whatever, you're halfway through making those when the programmers come to you and ask if you can remove the part of the story where the heroes take a train because the engine can't render moving scenery out of a window, and then five months after that you have no time to make a new cutscene where a character dies, because the boss fight you were gonna put in there didn't turn out to be fun so it was removed, and so when you ship the game that character just stops appearing in cutscenes halfway through the game, and so on and so forth. Making the game fun to play is a higher priority than making it work well as a story, and given the limited time and money, the stories you end up with in games are often weird and messy.

This is how you end up with a game like Final Fantasy 13, which has a character who shows up, is turned into a boss fight, dies, is resurrected offscreen, shows up in a cutscene, and then is killed again in another cutscene.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

But MMOs are in a weird spot unique to their genre. WoW dominates the pay-to-play market, and EVE and FFXIV pick up the scraps. No room for competition when you have to subscribe to expensive monthly fees, everybody just plays the most popular ones their friends are playing (or none at all).

I think there's more to it than that, because the other reason there's no room for competition is that the WoW/Everquest style of MMO is really expensive to develop, so you need a playerbase in the millions to sustain it and make enough money to constantly develop more content for it. Imo the people who seven or eight years ago would be trying out those MMOs are now playing a wider variety of online multiplayer titles because there's more multiplayer games out now that do the things MMO's back then did: the persistent online community, playing games alongside other people, PvP and PvE, exploring big exciting worlds, etc. And because those multiplayer games don't need such huge playerbases to keep going (stuff like Hearthstone, or the Steam multiplayer survival games like ARK, or minecraft) we don't have this big messy turnover of a studio trying to make the next WoW and then bankrupting itself over and over anymore.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

What are good YouTube videos to whittle away my workday with? My workload has been very light as of late and I spend most of the day on SA or watching tutorials of pinball tables. Taking recommendations for funny or entertaining videos or creators that I could spend an hour or so watching to make the part of my work day I spend without work go a little faster.

Have some neat and interesting channels about :

- Game design
- Cinematography
- Films
- A lot of different things
- The minutae of Game of Thrones Lore, and sometimes other shows/books/movies
- Fun Fellas who are bad at gaming
- Fun Fellas who are rad at gaming

They are all people making content that is pretty positive and genuine in tone, which is nice because a lot of internet content is kinda "ha ha isn't this thing lovely" and it's nice to have some positive vibes in the media you consume.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

precision posted:

Apparently it was "tweeted from LinkedIn" and was a hack. Obviously. But still, funny.

Funnier is that someone on Reddit estimates Sean Murray made 46 million from NMS.

Made 46 million gamers disappointed, that is!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

like, two young adults who have to struggle with the legacy of their fathers, one who hates his dad and realizes he has to become somewhat like him, and one who loves her dad and must break from him, that is a good character study for the world story, which is pretty typically japan (bevelle definitely used some kind of nuclear bomb on zanarkand, and the revenge is some kind of twisted, luddite nationalism in which the Tolkienesque "nature v. technology" thing has become more sci fi and less fantasy). video game makers are very bad at stuff like writing dialogue, directing voice actors, and cinematography, though, plus this an story that somehow has to appeal to a widely international audience in multiple languages, so the scene for scene stuff is embarrassing.

Tbh the more interesting and worrying recurring theme in Japanese media is "a group of people enter, without their consent, into a system/location/game/etc where the only way to survive or escape is by killing each other".

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Real talk though considering how quickly the video games industry burns through devs, that might actually be the case. How long do most people last in game development, maybe ten years or so? There's probably barely anyone from the generation that knew how to do good 3D platforming design around anymore, outside of a company like Nintendo where they've kept making it as a genre. A lot of the folks from Rare who are making Yuka-Lalee are in their forties, you've gotta imagine a lot of people from their generation of developers simply aren't in the industry anymore.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I also think the bravely games act in a similar mold which I find very fun, where random encounters are a puzzle and bosses are a nightmare. JRPGs outside FF brand figured out similarly challenging structures/twists before FF did but it's cool that they've tried to bend the mold in similar ways, with their own high budget market tested spin.

What I hate about turn-based RPGs is that the whole "random encounters are a puzzle" thing becomes just incredibly boring because of the nature of random encounters. In Persona or Pokemon or whatever, I will encounter maybe three or four different setups of random encounter per area, and once I have figured out what I need to do to beat them it stops being a puzzle and the next twenty times I hit that encounter it is just a big waste of time. The stakes of individual battles are so low that any individual one isn't challenging, there's just a constant attrition of resources like HP and MP on your part as you solve the same puzzle over and over again but with the knowledge that you can only solve it like, 30 times more until you run out of mana. That poo poo ain't fun, random encounters are just a terrible holdover from the days where games consoles didn't have the juice to render enemies in the overworld for you to fight and they should be cast into the abyss.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

One of the best examples I can think if is the Dangan Ronpa LP where the LPer (understandably) had to break each update at a certain point and in doing so created artificial cliffhangers that didn't exist in the game. The end result is days/weeks of speculation and unintended emphasis on certain elements of the game that you wouldn't get playing through the game. It created a pretty significantly different experience from playing the game myself even knowing all the plot points that were coming beforehand. The mere act of where and when you drop a chapter can really significantly impact how someone views a story.

I don't think that means it's a bad LP so much as the act of LPing is transformative. You're getting a curated view of the game through the lens of that specific player and their skills, thoughts and intentions.

I watch LPs far more than I actually play games now, honestly. I don't have the energy or the money to buy and play a lot of games :shrug: It's an interesting medium, especially because what makes a good LP doesn't necessarily make a good game, and vice versa. Some of the transformative effects that you're talking about can be vital in actually making the game entertaining to watch.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

It's hard to hold a candle/ in the cold November games (thread)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"The real winner of the November 8th U.S. Presidential Election will be us, the gamers" - Nate Silver

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Was Dark Days Don't Die any good?

e: by which I mean Dark Dreams Don't Die

It's very Swery. I have only seen an LP of it but I really enjoyed that. There's a lot of motion control inputs because it was made for the kinect, but the story is neat and then it ends on a cliffhanger. I know Swery was making the second season of it, but I don't know if/when it's coming out now, which is a shame because I want to know where the mystery goes.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

This one, by SuperGreatFriend. He did an LP of Deadly Premonition years ago too, and that was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I think a big part of what makes JoJos so good as an action series is how flexible and varied the action is. Like, compared to something like DBZ or Bleach or any of JoJo's many contemporaries, it's a lot less "people shooting lasers at each other and sword fighting" and a lot more of the fights being weird, specific situations and lots of instances of people using their surroundings to get ahead. It makes it difficult to systemise it into a neat set of gameplay mechanics that also really "get" what JoJos is about.

FWIW though, I think the 7th Stand User combined JoJos and RPG mechanics in some really good ways. The game giving you a stand at the start and essentially locking you into a very specialised combat role that you didn't directly choose (single target DPS, Multiple enemies, debuffs, whatever) and giving you very weird stands too, is a really cool move that fits with the idea of Stands being weird and specialised rather than a well-rounded toolset. I also really like that the random encounters in the game are just lots and lots of long-range remote stands, and that story explanation as to why the game has lots of enemies on the map becomes a gameplay feature: if you hunt down the optional boss fights against the owners of these remote stands, then you can remove them from the random encounter pool and make navigating the world a lot easier.

• Locked thread