Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've been playing Sam and Max Season 3 on the PC, and recently got a Steam Link so now I can just chill out on the couch and play it. I plug the controller in and immediately the screen is bombarded with little bubbles telling me where every point of interest is. Thanks, Tell Tale; just because I'm using a controller doesn't mean I'm a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I recently moved to a new town and was hanging out at a coffee place, chatting with the 19 year old coffee dude when we started talking about video games. I'm 32 years old; I haven't had a real conversation with someone that young since I was...well, it's been a while. I was interested in what the first video game system he played was. MY first was like, an Atari 2600 or something. But I wondered what he would say. Nintendo 64, maybe?

He said: "Oh, I started out playing Mario on the sness."
"The what?"
"Sness."
"What is that?"
"The Sness?"
"Yeah."
"It's like...well, it came after the Nez."
"The Nez?"
"Yeah. You should know."
"I've never heard...Oh! Wait, are you saying S.N.E.S., like the Super Nintendo?"
"Yeah, that's what it's called."

I'd never heard someone sound out the acronym phonetically. I thought this must be just something from his generation. I've never heard anyone else say it like that except that, when I asked my girlfriend about it, she says she's heard lots of people pronounce it that way. And I was listening to the Cane and Rinse podcast, and these guys are like, thirty, forty years old, my age or older, and THEY said "Sness."

So I'm baffled. When did SNES and NES start being pronounced phonetically? Were they ALWAYS pronounced phonetically, but apparently just not where I grew up (Oregon)? Is it a new trend that has just like, gone viral? Was it regional? When I hear these words it hurts my ears. It's like when someone says I live in "Or-ee-gawn." I mean, I guess that's subjective, but it feels awful.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I guess I've always just called it the Nintendo and the Super Nintendo.

I guess it's more efficient to reduce it to a single syllable, though...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Why would you not invert it always, if you're going to do it for some?

As soon as I use a controller making sure it's properly inverted is the first thing I do.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Right. Any camera angle must be inverted. I don't know why, I absolutely cannot play anything without Y axis inversion. It's baffling. It's not just that I'm not very good at it -- I'm completely disabled. My brain does not adhere to it. First person shooters on a console without Y inversion involve me staring at the ground or the sky the whole time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey, all you old-school Doom and Quake players, I have a question about Doom...um, the new Doom. Not called "The New Doom" but just "Doom" for some stupid reason. That's strike 1, new Doom! :argh:

I've never been into multiplayer games because I'm a misanthropic agoraphobic human hating fire bombing loner. So this question is specifically about the single player. Also, I'm playing with a proper mouse and keyboard, not the NES Advantage or whateverthefuck incarnation of that homophobic racist Linkin Park kids use with their 30 FPS games.

I want to pick up Doom, but I'm not entirely sold on it. I haven't actually seen any videos of it since a little bit before its release, and I wasn't really liking what I was seeing. What I saw was some frantic, wonderful running and gunning, jumping and splattering and blowing away demons and it looked like a proper update to the Doom classic, a Doom for the new generation. But then I saw that switching between weapons brought up a weird UI and it brought the game into slow motion. Well, this offends me. Doom didn't slow down for nothing. Leaping behind cover and swapping your weapon and then leaping back was part of the chaotic fun. I know it was pretty simple back then; you didn't have to reload your gun or anything. But I don't LIKE the idea of time slowing down to swap out my weapon. So I am wondering, 1) can this be disabled and 2) if it can't be disabled, do you find this hurts the gameplay, especially coming at this from the thirst for Doom-like nostalgic ultra-violence?

My next question pertains to finishing moves. I think I saw a Youtube video with a guy playing a beta of it (or something) and he said that doing finishing moves makes you invulnerable during the animation, and he went on to say that that becomes a rather necessary gameplay element, with so much going on one needs a brief break of random invulnerability. This offends me. I've been playing some other games wherein performing finishing moves makes you invulnerable, and I use this to my advantage. If it's part of the game, I'm going to use it, but I sure don't like it. I think it pulls me out of the immersion. Not the finishing moves -- that's fine -- but let me be at risk doing it. So I am wondering, 1) Does it still make you invulnerable, or was that an early build feature, 2) are there multiple finishing moves for various monsters? I don't want to see the same finishing move 100 times, and 3) do you have to initiate the finishing move, or does it just happen mid-combat?

Oh, and final question: How is health handled? Is it like classic FPS games where you have to monitor your health and go get medikits and such, or is it like pussy boo-hoo modern FPS games where you just squat behind a table and wait for your health to come back you loving pussy wimp?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Glory kills make you invincible during the animation but lining them up takes a second and you're vulnerable for a moment after you're done and your weapon's not back out. This is greatly mitigated by the runes that let you perform them faster or at longer range. There is a ridiculous variety of finishing moves for each monster depending on where you target them, and there are some unique multiplayer ones as well. They're not exactly all super creative, because they can only be so elaborate, but you shouldn't get bored too easily.

Health definitely does not regenerate, and aggression is rewarded in the game. Health packs will heal you, but your number one source of healing will be the health enemies drop if you manage to perform glory kills on them. That's right, the more of a brave murder machine you are, the more you can heal.

Okay, that sounds okay. The hp thing and aggression reward has sold me. To the game deals thread!

codenameFANGIO posted:

So are you Seanbaby or the imockery guy.

I don't understand :confused:

Kirby Superscare! posted:

Try the demo! It's a fun representation of the finished product.

There's a demo?!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Former Video Games Humor Man Seanbaby and the writer for i-mockery were infamous back in "the day" for being real dismissive of modern game mechanics and conceits.

edit: Is I-Mockery still a thing?

Out of curiosity, when was "the day?" I didn't have Internet between 2006 and 2015.

A lot of modern day game mechanics annoy me. I get frustrated when I see things made easy by the standards of the long ago. Quest markers, regenerating health, auto-loving-aim. But the other day I was playing Legend of Grimrock 2, a wonderful throwback to old first-person dungeon crawlers, and I was stuck on a puzzle, and I was loving furious that it was taking me longer than six minutes to figure out.

I wonder if I've just become acclimated to the ease of modern gaming, or if I've just gotten old and cranky. I remember spending hours accomplishing basically nothing in Myst. Now, the idea of spending five minutes without making progress makes my blood pressure spike.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Are you actually laughing out loud when you submit a reply?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey, fellas, does anyone know if there's a place where video game scripts are located? I know gamefaqs occasionally has some, but it's hit and miss. These scripts don't need to be official, they can be fan-made. I'm generally just searching for a general breakdown of dialogue. For old, linear games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc. I'm sure these aren't too difficult to make. Broad, expansive, nonlinear games a la Fallout, Baldur's Gate, whatever, might be harder but even those I think could be fashioned into an accessible script.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Help Im Alive posted:

Important: has a video game ever made you cry

My ex fiancee watched me play through Metal Gear Solid 3 and she wept at the end of it.

I think I might have teared up at the end of Planescape: Torment.

Also a kid called me names on Counter-Strike and then said I was a crybaby but I wasn't even crying but he kept saying it and also said I was a homo, and I'm not a homo but by then I was crying and it made his crybaby comment seem like it was accurate but it wasn't and then he just kept doing it :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey, any of you Oregoons going to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this weekend? Er, today?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

In Training posted:

I dislike almost everything about gaming on a PC but it's all worth it for EUIV and 2012-ish CK2.

Hey, I know this is from like ten pages ago, but I was gone all weekend and am catching up. I was wondering, can I ask, what it is about gaming on a PC that bothers you? My girlfriend is primarily a console gamer because the mouse and keyboard combination never felt right to her, she never cared for first-person shooters or real-time strategies, and there were Playstation exclusives that piqued her interest more than anything else. These make sense to me, I guess.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

funny Star Wars parody posted:

yeah but then how will nerds feel superior about something

where's the fun in that old bean

The problem with letting people do things how they want is that they influence the market as a whole which in turn affects me.

For instance, because we PC gamers allowed the XBox 1 to thrive, we ended up getting shafted with sequels to PC games that were severely limited by the console's memory capacity, and when we did get them (usually much later) the port was terrible, unoptimized, awful UIs designed around a low-resolution television and a controller and other things that would never have happened if we hadn't been so lax.

Things have cooled down a bit now, with consoles having pretty much caught up to the PC and most games being universally released, anyway. But the moment we let our guard down, it could happen again. We must be on our toes, vigilant at all times.

Edit: By the way, when I say "XBox 1," I mean the first XBox. What is the appropriate nomenclature for that? XBox classic?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Snak posted:

Why did you allow the Xbone to thrive? You should have killed it and let it just be PC and PS4.

The XBone doesn't really affect PCs anymore. It only hurts the console market.

It reminds me of those old "Truth" anti-smoking ads that were paid for by the tobacco industry and intentionally designed to be counter-productive to what it was portraying itself as.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm about three hours into Shadow of Mordor and so far every single thing I've done is just repeating the things I did in the first two minutes of the game. The sound, graphics, animation, setting, writing are all pretty good. They've done a good job of creating an impactful setting. But, uh, do you ever do anything different? Combat is simple...the only time I've died is when intentionally loving around. It's neat to slash through three hundred orcs at a time but it's awful repetitive. Does it get...different?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Well, then I'm probably just going to stop loving with side stuff and get through the story. If I'm just doing story stuff, how long is the game?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I love Grim Dawn. I don't do multiplayer anything, but it's a really solid game. It's ridiculously easy on the default difficulty setting, though, but there is a harder difficulty you can start on (and two harder ones once you beat the game) and modding is pretty easy. It's like a better looking Diablo 3.

Shadow of Mordor is just disappointing me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I feel like ALL combat in SoM is QTE. Left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click -- block indicator: right click -- left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, -- block indicator: right click -- left click, left click, left click, left click.

You can't die in this game. You have about a full second to block when the indicator comes up.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Maybe. I haven't done a lot of the story missions. By the way, is it normal for every single one of Sauron's captains to happen to be hanging around the same campfire? I wandered into a group of Orcs and had to wait for ten minutes while they all introduced themselves to me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I disagree. I think the game is dumb dumb easy. The combat requires no strategic thinking. It's all just clicking until you need to block, then you block. The only time I run into trouble is when I think, here's this downed orc I'm going to try to finish him -- but then the block indicator comes up so I just keep doing that.

The only thing I've found difficult are some of the stealth missions. But I mean, you don't die or anything. You just fail the mission and have to redo it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You have a point. There IS some more depth to this game than I am giving it credit for. I just wish the game had more contextual reason to vary things up. There's no real punishment for not being stealthy, except you have to kill a bunch more orcs. loving with the hierarchy could be fun, but the orc captain thing replenishes itself, which I was a little saddened by, since I took out all of them and thought I was getting somewhere for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The grammar problems in this unfuriate me.

• Locked thread