Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

Open worlds are only good in games that have a "loving around" appeal, like GTA or Just Cause, without that it's just a waste of time for the developer and the player

I mostly agree but so many games have XP and skill progression now that they've somewhat eliminated the need for fuckin' around by giving players ways to level up and upgrade. Less emergent gameplay opportunities, more RPG-lite functions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tenzarin posted:

Man who would of thought Omega Red from Marvel vs Capcom 2 would ever get this popular to be copied into so many games?

Omega Red is just Link with a hookshot and Marvel KNOWS it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Most people I notice going "i'm getting tired of video games" usually aren't tired of video games, they're just aging past the point they'll play almost anything that comes out and solidifying into a few games or genres they really enjoy. Which isn't a bad thing.

If they're like me I would say it's the opposite. What they don't realize they're tired of is the sequel-itis of only playing essentially the same few games over and over and starting to get bored. Once you're done the new AssCreed, oh look, Batman's out again! Ok great, I just finished Batman, oooh Uncharted just released! If you don't have the time to power through games quickly there's not time to branch out before another familiar IP is available to play once more.

I'm thankful for PSN and indie games because I'm diversifying what I play way more than I have since... my Gameboy days maybe?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Super Nintendo" or nothing. Sness has always sounded terrible.

It's also hard to say Super Nintendo and not immediately follow it with "Sega Genesis when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

boy are my arms tired posted:

any racing game that isn't rocking this soundtrack is dead to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wuny-JavvQ

Couldn't see the video embedded (on mobile) and thought there was a good chance the song was going to be DAYYYTOONAAAAAA

Jay Rust posted:

What colour should represent poison in games? Green or purple?

Is black an option?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phantasium posted:

I feel really old today so thread, tell me about a game you were obsessed with when you were little.

Guess my boring answer would be Link to the Past. That was 1991 and if I got it the year it came out I would have been 9. I had an NES before that but I can't remember which games I played on it over and over -- too young to remember, I guess. LttP though I played so many times, and had the strategy guide, and my friend and I would try to do speed runs in the time he had when he came over to my house on the weekend, and we wanted a sequel so bad we spent time in the computer lab dreaming up our own.

Playing a console meant hogging the family TV but once I got into computer games, oh man. I could spend every waking non-homework hour playing games on the computer! Only a couple years after LttP I'd say my obsessions were Sid Meier's Colonization (the poor man's Civ that I enjoyed more than Civ for some reason) and SimTower. With Colonization I still go through the hassle every now and then of trying to re-install my DOS version.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Finally, a videogame character that reacts appropriately to the horrors a glitch is inflicting upon them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phantasium posted:

Actually how cool would toys to life be if you bought like a lego set and every piece had an RFID in it so it could tell how you built something in game so you could get like a giant play set and actually change the level design with physical legos or play a space game where you can change your ship on the fly.

I'm sure that wouldn't be expensive at all.

Lego has begun doing that but it's only with part of the sets, like the facades of buildings. They haven't gone whole hog with it like you might imagine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unfunny Poster posted:

How is everyone's video gaming this fine October?

I have trade-in money and a PSN gift card ready to redeem to get some new games but I have to wait until Christmas is over to buy myself anything so I guess I just have to play the games I already own. FML.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phantasium posted:

Games haven't ever had terribly great genre names. I remember when it was split between calling them computer RPGs or console RPGs instead of western/japanese. Or whatever melange of junk used to be called action/adventure.

Or when shooter referred to stuff like Gradius and not Call of Duty.

"I'm playing this awesome new shooter."
"What, like Gradius?"
"No, it's first-person."
"Oh, like Tie Fighter!"
"No, that's space combat!"
"Oh you mean like

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Monkey Fracas posted:

In the video Game Super Mario Bros you Play the Role of Mario, a plumber who must save the princess from a giant evil turtle who has multiple boss forms and sits at the end of a dungeon

"you fool"

he says

"this isn't even my final form"

then he starts throwing hammers at you and puts a block at the top of the room to make it harder for you to jump over him and touch the little axe thing

SMB: The First JRPG

I hate these games where you don't actually kill the boss yourself but have to watch the boss die in an unskippable cutscene. When Mario touches the axe and you have to sit there and watch the bridge disappear under Bowser --- Jesus, just stop jacking off to yourself Nintendo and make a drat movie already.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

corn in the bible posted:

when i look down i look down, i don't think I AM MOVING THE BACK OF MY HEAD UP

It depends on which situations you view the joystick/mouse as moving up and down or forward and back. I need y-axis first-person controls inverted because it makes sense for my head to go forward to look towards my feet but that's counterintuitive to someone if the joystick is supposed to be going Up and not Forward.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I think high frame rate films genuinely look bad and it's not a matter of being used to anything. There's too much poo poo for your eye to meaningfully follow and none of it moves naturally. A projected image or a screen isn't the same as seeing something in real life with natural lighting. High frame rate doesn't make things look more real, it makes them look more fake.

I'd say it's the opposite. It looks wrong because it looks so real. As someone just said, it's like watching a stage play. The screen disappears and becomes a window. And since it looks real we don't buy it because movies are supposed to look fake.

Watching sports in high frame rate is fine though because that is supposed to be real and we're used to the look of sports being captured on video.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd be down for a redo of The Warriors from Rockstar. I cannot believe it's been eleven years since that game, drat I'm getting old.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

I hate games that show your completion rate on the menu. Rise of the 2mb Raider says I'm already at 10% and I literally just got to the first real area. :(

The percentage never seems to make sense to me so I just ignore it. I never know which games measure progress of just the main storyline or progress towards completing every last little thing so what's the point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

2? No better title ideas than that?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Well Link already has a horse so he'd fit right in to a western.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Has anyone made a good joke about how Uncharted sort of has the word shart in it? I feel like there's potential there.

If you say it in a French accent it definitely sounds like Unsharted.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The weapon wheel in DOOM is for console players because of the limited buttons of controllers. If you're using a M+K you don't ever have to use it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sakurazuka posted:

'Overrated' is the biggest non-critism in existence and means nothing other than 'people like it more than I think they should'.

Saying something is overrated is definitely overrated.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Writing is also a problem in open world games because the main storyline is usually based around important and urgent objectives that don't make sense for the character to ignore when the player wants to do side missions. RPGs do it too, I suppose.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

Morrowind kinda got over some of the problems with open-world narratives by having one of the early quest givers say outright, "Go gently caress around for a while, join random guilds, then come back and we'll continue this main quest thing you're on"

I'm finishing up Arkham Knight and every now and then the main storyline objective waits for you in a sense by having Batman rely on other characters working on something and having Batman meet up with them soon-ish with the latest developments.

But the Catwoman/Riddler side missions are never not funny because she's got a bomb locked around her neck and all she can do is chill and wait for Batman to come back and help her get it off.

I think Saint's Row 2 is still my gold standard for writing in an open world and lack of ludonarrative dissonance. The main character is an immature, gleeful psycho who wants to build up a gang - everything you do or would want to in the game fits with that!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

gently caress Switches Get Sony

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

I've never played a non mariokart, non marioparty, mario game for more than like 10 minutes.

I'm sure as gently caress not shelling out $300+ for a console that can't play mainstream AAA titles.

Is there even space in the market for a third conventional console? A Bloodborne machine, a Mario machine, and a Halo machine that otherwise do 95% of the same thing?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

you're really bringing down the excitement here, snak. have you considered loving games?

One of us, one of us, one of us...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everybody, how is everyone doing today?

I just got back from going to a local bar/tavern thing and it was fun, had some good food (a good burger and some good chili), and I saw that they had beer for sale that wasn't just budweiser and stuff like that. I've always been told that budweiser and poo poo are all absolutely awful and people only get them because they're cheap and they want a quick buzz but I've never had any of that stuff so idk. They did have a beer called Sweet Baby Jesus that I remember a goon suggesting people try out. Have any of you ever heard of/tried Sweet Baby Jesus, or do any of you have any recommendations for beers as a person who hasn't really tried any before?

I'm going to give an unpopular opinion and say that until you're actually used to beer it really doesn't matter if you start off drinking Bud or Coor's or whatever. They're all likely to taste like crap at first.

You might want to stay away from IPAs because they'll taste more bitter. And in keeping with that, Sweet Baby Jesus sounds really good. I love maltier beers like that one but based on other people I know who are not much into beer, even those taste bad when you're starting out.

If your town has any sour beer options, that's a good option to try out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lumping all IPAs in together doesn't really work. Hoppier ones have certainly been the trend for several years now but there's still plenty of great ones lower down the IBU scale. I usually find 50-60 is my upper limit depending on the other qualities because higher than that starts to taste like I'm drinking liquid aluminum but under that I enjoy lots of IPAs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

I thought the over representation of IPAs was just a coastal thing until I went to the local microbrewery and 7 out of 11 of their beers on tap were IPAs, but that didn't stop me from getting their hoppiest one :dva:

Really hoppy beers make me wonder the same thing as super hot spice: is there any other detectable flavour in there when it's so strong?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

Cider is legit and the people who pretend it's a baby drink are dumbasses. I love me some dry rear end Granny Smith Woodchuck

Same with fruit beers. I used to think they were girly, which admittedly is a dumb and sexist thing to think but it's also wrong since fruit mixed with beers is ancient. But anyway some of the best beers I've ever had are fruit beers. I had a strawberry rhubarb one last year that was so good and a local brewery makes batches of Donkey Venom every now and then that is a chocolate and raspberry dessert heaven.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

i solemnly swear to continue making good posts in the switch thread, and frankly everywhere

Haha, yeah right! I have news for you pal! Your posts are good!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Transformers Devastation looked pretty fun in the trailers and gameplay videos but it's even more fun to play. This is such a rad game to have gotten free this month.

I haven't played a game that needed combo memorization in quite a long time but so far I'm getting by okay not knowing a ton of them. Combat just feels so good -not surprised Platinum makes fighting mechanics that are this tight- and I'm glad the vehicle forms and transformations were integrated so well.

Shame about the level design, though. Feels cheap and samey.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spindenburg

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

some of it is that all criticism for video games has to be delivered in the "hilarious" style in which minor grievances are described as horrifying garbage fires, coupled with people's general tendency to want a thing to either be All Good or All Bad.

Thankfully print reviews are still respectable and serious and sometimes even well written!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Love Stole the Day posted:

I'm sorry to break y'alls circlejerk but fox and hedgehog are actual jargon for certain types of political people/pundits. It's from that Nate Silver guy's book from 6-ish years ago. It's the reason his blog site, fiveturdyeight, has a fox as its logo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hedgehog_and_the_Fox#Influence ctrl+f "nate silver"

so it's actually not game-related, sadly

And the link says Silver got it from Isaiah Berlin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Love Stole the Day posted:

update: 10 minutes have passed and i've made what might be a little bit of progress. i'm sure that with time i'll find some way to solve this puzzle and crack the case wide open!

Your partner is currently explaining that suicide might not work from that height and you could just end up disfigured or crippled instead.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I like getting really into a game's story, be it complicated or as simple as "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." This is probably why I don't really like puzzle games, arena games, or multiplayer in general. Welp, that's my story thanks for reading!

That was a better story than in most videogames.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

You know what game has 100+ awesome planets to explore? Super Mario Galaxy

:hfive:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

and i suppose you remember every google search?? perfect google search memory over here??

I don't remember them all exactly but most start with "how many licks does it take to get to the centre of a".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaphod42 posted:

Can confirm this channel rules. Really good editing of video and a soothing radio voice doing in-depth book analysis of ASOIAF. Great stuff.

Especially the Hodor episode.

Eh, call me a pinko commie but its not that stupid. :ussr: I've always thought that it would be a pretty good troll to get super rich and then redistribute all your wealth. You guys love your capitalism, but part of capitalism is whoever earns the money gets to choose what to do with it! So learn to deal with my communism-within-capitalism!

Problem is that means both working a lot and earning a fortune and then giving away most of it, and even if you do that's still a drop in the bucket. But a few Warren Buffet types do pretty good stuff like that.

You're supposed to earn a ton of money and then buy lobby politicians with it to make the government redistribute everyone's money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tap cards are the best. Pizza delivery, coffee shops, drive-thru... so great that the transaction takes as much time as one *beep*.

• Locked thread