Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

The fishing one was pretty easy for me. Aim at one of the fishing spots and just watch your own pole. Took me maybe 10 minutes once I got to the spot? Maybe I just got lucky.
The problems come when you can't see your own pole because there are so many people surrounding you, and when the fishing holes disappear every 10-20 seconds because there's so many people using them. The quests which involve killing things had a similar problem - with so many people around, you had to be standing right on top of where the mobs spawned or you couldn't get a hit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Overemotional Robot posted:

gently caress the fishing quest, the Behtnik one, AND the mudball one (it didn't tell me not to hit guards, I had a bunch of stolen stuff, it lagged, I got stuck, dead).
If you turn on the option to prevent attacking innocents, it'll stop you from mudballing the guards/NPCs. You can still attack the 3 rulers for the achievement and the named NPCs that are part of the quest. For fishing, get an add-on that tells you when to reel it in, because actually seeing your pole in the mass of players clipping into each other is a pain. The betnik one is just going to suck unless they turn up the spawn rate on that island for the duration of the event (they won't).

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

:toot: I have finally achieved magnanimity. Thank you to all the goons who donate their extra recipes to the guild bank.
As wonderful as goon generosity is, I just filled the bank trying to put in a nordic towel. I removed a dozen or so of the green event recipes, but we really need to clean out some of the junk in there.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

Do I have to do anything special to be allowed to pull some Hallowjack motifs from the goon stash or can I just swap Skinchanger pieces for them like I've been doing for other Skinchanger pieces?
I don't think anyone will complain if you just take the hallowjack pieces you need, since when I checked last night the guild bank was full again.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mizuti posted:

Why not? I love hearing about weird and broken things in MMOs.
My favorite really early bug was a side-quest where you had to fight a boss that had a really hard-hitting attack. The attack could be avoided, and there were NPCs around the battle area that would tell you how to avoid the attack - but when the game released the NPCs voices for that part of the quest were in German instead of English.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

There has never existed an MMO with a traditional leveling system where you were in danger at level 6.
I used to die at low level in original EQ, but things have changed a lot in the last 18 years.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

frgildan posted:

What would be the best way to farm the skull drops for the Halloween holiday event? Speed running delves and world bosses or just joining a Dolmen train?
Last year there was a time limit on how often you could get the skulls, so I just parked in front of one dolmen and waited for the train to show up to hit it. If it's anything like last year you won't really have to worry about getting everything, they're not really that rare.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Beefeater posted:

Do you get anything cool from the login rewards? I haven't really read much about them.
Mostly crown store consumables, a small amount of alliance points and tel var stones, a scalecaller crate in a week, a fennec fox pet in two weeks, and 5 psijic crates for the final reward in 20 days. Note that there are fewer rewards than there are days left in the month, so you can miss 5 days or so without losing out on the final reward.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

Huh. According to this they are in the same spots as last time. Not showing up on my map, guess I'll just have to check it out.
I only checked the Glenumbra one last night, but it was in the same spot, just not showing on the map.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

How long does it normally take for popular mods like Advanced UI to get updated after a major patch like this?
I'm not sure that the guy who wrote AUI still plays. For now, there's a fix that seems to work, pulled from here

quote:

Go to AUI\modules\minimap\classes\MapPinClass.lua, open that in notepad and change "IsImperialCityGate()" to "IsImperialCityPin()"

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ElectricWizard posted:

I’m rolling as a dark elf dps magicka dragonknight.

Currently using a mix of burning spellweave and silks of the sun.

Anyone got suggestions for alternate builds, perhaps to make me feel like less of a glass cannon?

Also, is spellbook hunting really the only way to level mages guild after doing the quest chain?
You can also get it by paying money! If you already did it on another character, that is. Otherwise, your best bet is to install a map addon that shows where all the books are.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Acht posted:

Edit:
Level 11 now with a horse and an ultimate. This is fun as heck. And the crafting bag alone seems worth the sub..
I'm pretty sure that the majority of subs are for the crafting bag. The fact that you get about as many crowns from the sub as you would just buying them separately is a nice bonus.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Theoretically they claim it will do extra damage, but there's a good chance it won't be worth it due to the extra delay compared to light ones, yeah. I suppose it depends on if you need sustain or not.

There's always the off-balance stun I guess.
Based on a bunch of people in the feedback thread running parses on the test server, it looks like switching to heavy attack weaving generally lowers DPS because it slows down your skill use. Light attack weaving also gets lower DPS due to the drastic nerf to light damage.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Well, yeah, but it seems like heavy attacks might be preferable in some cases with strong sustain, maybe, just about.

It's possible that the higher ability delays would make it worse than LA still. IIRC around 40-50% of DPS used to come from LA when doing perfect weaving, so with that cut down by almost 80%, well, it's hard to say.
Yeah, there might be times that doing a heavy weave might be better than a light weave now. I'm just frustrated that (at least initially), it seems like they've nerfed high end damage. I haven't personally tried it myself, but I can't recall ever seeing an MMO nerf high end players damage without also nerfing the low end players damage (where I am in this game). And I'm not sure that their stated goals are even possible without removing the ability to animation cancel altogether.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I was thinking I’d probably save thieves guild and dark brotherhood for an alt. I can’t imagine getting into those when I think of my nord as a more upstanding sort of treasure hunter.
It's too bad that one of my favorite passive abilities is deep down the dark brotherhood skill line. Shadow Rider unlocks at rank 7, and greatly decreases the aggression radius from mobs while mounted.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

One thing I have not done is dungeons. I mostly play to chill, and I remember how WOW rando groups were, so I always feel like I’d be a liability. Although now I have a halfway decent grip on the game and I’m getting to the point where I’m interested in dungeon gear, how bad are they in ESO? Do you need a mic?

I could maybe do them myself at this point since I can do dolmens and geysers solo without too much trouble if nobody else is around. But then I wouldn’t get the EXP.
You should be fine. Though if you have ESO+ or any of the dungeon expacs, you might sometimes get queued into one of the expansion dungeons. In which case you might have to google it real quick to figure out the mechanics. For the non-expac dungeons you can just run forward and kill everything in your path.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is the landscape scaled down or something? It's been a long time since I played Morrowind but I don't think it took under a minute to walk from Seyda Neen to Vivec City
Yes. Alternatively Tamriel grows physically over the years so everything has spread apart between ESO time and Morrowind/Skyrim time.
I don't think it's actually smaller, but you're right that it definitely feels different. Low level characters moved really slowly in TES3, and the view distance was tiny. They also designed Vvardenfell the way Disney designs their parks - lots of winding paths and well placed scenery to hide how close things actually are. Here's a screenshot taken from my modded Morrowind install with the fog turned off and render distance turned way up. It's taken standing next to the silt strider in Seyda Neen, and Vivec City is clearly visible in the distance.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s shared by your characters yes.

Master writs I assume show up when you max the skill. I’ve been playing for a couple months and never seen one yet.
They're a possible random reward for doing the daily writ if you have maxed skill in that crafting profession. Supposedly the random chance is influenced by how many traits you have researched, or recipes you know, or runes/potion ingredients you've learned. They ask you to craft a specific thing - usually a set item with a specific style and trait. People trade them because a lot of them aren't worth doing, at least for that person. Alchemy and enchanting ones usually aren't that hard, and provisioning recipes usually aren't too expensive. But if I get a writ that requires me to craft a chest piece with a super expensive style that I don't know, it's probably better to sell it than to waste my gold trying to buy the style.

Jewelry master writs are almost never worth doing because rarity upgrades are 10 times more expensive for jewelry.

If you ever do get into doing them, there are mods on PC that make them much easier to do, and give you a rough estimate of the cost per writ voucher so you can avoid the really expensive ones.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

graynull posted:

Been debating buying Greymoor as I'm a big skyrim fan and really just want more story content. I somehow bought Morrowind and Summerset despite not ever really getting into the game. Something about the combat has been hard for me to get a feel for. I'm never sure when I should be spamming skills or using light or heavy attacks. I guess it probably doesn't matter much for leveling but has made it feel awkward to get the hang of.
Use a light attack between every skill cast. If you run out of mag or stam, use a heavy attack instead of the light attack. That should be enough to get you through the leveling content, and probably the regular difficulty non-expansion dungeons.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Diephoon posted:

Specifically what you're doing is cancelling the light attack animation with your skill cast, right?
Ideally, yes. But I think at the level graynull was asking at, any weaving at all will probably be an improvement.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I'm only DPS too. I've done dozens and dozens of undaunted dungeons, but no vet or DLC dungeons. Normal dungeons are all cake and busy work.
This. Over 500 CP and the only time I've done a DLC dungeon was when I queued for a random dungeon and got pulled into frostvault. That was not fun, though luckily one of the other randoms knew how to do the dungeon and we got through it eventually.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ASenileAnimal posted:

took down my first non plot related dragon. i had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on it was just a giant mass of explosions going off from everyones attacks. it also oneshot me at some point from full health so i probably need more than 16k.
More health probably won't help. The dragons have a lot of one-shot abilities, and several other attacks that cause huge amounts of damage. It's best to accept that if you're hunting dragons, you'll probably die once or twice.

If you want some tips: Hunt the Southern Elsweyr dragons. The Northern Elsweyr ones are too far from the wayshrines, so it's difficult to find groups hunting them. Meanwhile there's always a large group going after the Southern ones.
Use ranged attacks so you can avoid the bite, wing, and tail attacks. It's generally safer to be on the sides/back of the dragon, to avoid the breath attacks.
Stay out of the frost dragon's blizzard unless you have a lot of self-heal. Watch your health, because I've noticed that the damage field of the blizzard doesn't always match the visual field perfectly.
If you get a glowy yellow/purple aura, you'll need to purge yourself* to clean the soul tear DOT or you'll die.
Once they take off, start watching the ground. They'll usually summon adds, and then start spamming ranged attacks at the ground, so stay out of the red circles.

Also, I have more problems with lag when hunting dragons than anywhere else I play in the game, but I don't have any tips for that. Just have a lot of filled soul gems.

And you might as well get the dragonguard dailies if you're going to hunt dragons. You get various unlocks for doing dailies (until you've done 30 of them), and one of the dailies is killing 3 dragons. Which you can do fairly fast in Southern Elsweyr.

* Or have a whole lot of self-healing

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Possibly related to the same topic. I was browsing a guild's store today, looking for weapon upgrades. I happened to look at level 50 weapons, which have pretty much exactly the same damage and bonus effects as my level 25 weapon. That seems ... weird, and since gear doesn't have stats or anything on it, where the hell is the increased power going to come from in the next 25 levels?

Also, is anyone other than me playing in House Awful on the EU servers anymore? I've never seen anyone online, but this is ESO so I wouldn't put it past the game bugging out somehow.
Well, you'll have more skill points. And there are a lot of end-game sets which will make you more powerful. And CP points make you more powerful (but are also available for your low-level alts).

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

FileNotFound posted:

The ESO crate drop rates are some of the worst I've ever seen.

https://www.crowncrates.com/gloomspore

Posting the old crates because new ones are not yet on the site.

If you are ever looking at something in a crate and think "I want this radiant apex item!"

Do look at the above link first and the drop rate.

Most crates will contain blues, greens and whites.
I got three or four apex mounts for free back when they used to give out crown crates for daily login rewards. I assume this is why they don't give out half a dozen crown crates just for logging in anymore. They neat mounts when they're free, but not worth spending however much is required on crown crates to get them that way.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

bio force ape posted:

Shadowfen is pretty good if you want some weirdness in just the basic game

you can be an honest to god skeleton main in an mmo if you do this one easy questline https://alcasthq.com/eso-skeleton-polymorph-guide/

do not underestimate how amazing this is if you happen to have the Drunk personality
It's also amazing with the Jester personality, especially after you bind a key to the walk action.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

insider posted:

Wow looking at this list I can't believe how lucky I got with the 'free' crates they gave me. I got a 0.81% mount and a 5.9% emote thing. Before looking at this I just thought this game was pretty generous with their crates and must give out mounts pretty frequently.
Yeah, I got 2 or 3 apex mounts from free crown crates - to the point where I was starting to wonder if the free crates had better drop rates to try to sucker people into buying more. But then they stopped giving away free crates, so it can't be that.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They give out free crates with twitch drops like once a month. Everything I've gotten from them has been garbage, though. Potions and poisons, one xp scroll and one crown mimic stone. Last time I got a bonus card, and it had a soul gem. Definitely not encouraging me to buy crates.
As oceanbound pointed out, twitch crates are always garbage. For awhile the daily rewards would sometimes include actual crown crates, and I was somehow unbelievably lucky with the giveaway ones. I actually blew some of my ESO+ crowns on crates once and didn't get anything good from them. For me, free crown crates were great and paid crown crates weren't, but that's almost definitely just RNG being RNG.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

I feel like that too, but IMO it'd be quite difficult to make a balanced game with long-term progression, varied classes and classic elder scrolls combat.
It's not like single-player elder scrolls is known for it's well-balanced combat or progression. You generally start out weak and end up super strong, unless you're playing one of the earlier games and keep leveling up the wrong skill lines, in which case you'll start weak and get weaker. Or, you find a glitch with alchemy or something and end up god-like at level 5.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

New patch notes posted:

Vigor: This ability is now first in the skill line to unlock, and has swapped places with Rapid Maneuvers in efforts to help builds focused on Stamina to have a healthier leveling experience. Previous XP gained in both of these skills will be retained, but if your Assault skill line is too low to obtain the 3rd skill, you will have to level it in order to gain access to Rapid Maneuvers again.
Wonderful. There's nothing I like more than being forced to do PVP with undergeared alts just to get a skill that I use in PVE areas. It seems to me that if vigor is that vital to a healthy leveling experience, it shouldn't be in the PVP line, but I'm pretty sure that ship sailed a long time ago.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Diddler posted:

Are the Hollowjack pages actually dropping from skulls? I've opened at least 5 gold skulls a day plus a pile of purples and I haven't gotten a page yet. And how many event writs do I need to do to get the hat? Is it based on tickets or individual writs?
I don't know if Dori found any or not, but I threw a set that had been taking up space into the guild bank.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Considering how many convenience add-ons there are that they don't break it's pretty clear this is intentional. Doesn't affect me for now anyway, though, since I don't have enough CP to have more than 4 slottables.
My quick view of this patch as a super casual player is that the CP changes suck, making me re-spec and re-slot every single skill sucks, constantly screwing around with my "ride fast" abilities sucks, and frankly I'm tired of game companies making things more annoying in an attempt to increase "engagement".

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

But this was unambiguously improved. Forget rapid maneuvers, put a point in continuous attack, now horsey go fast always without wasting a skill slot.
I'll admit that it's better than the last time they screwed around with it, but it's still screwing around with it. Just let me ride fast and stop changing it.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I like the CP change but the slottable CP skills are just a big gently caress you. Make them all passive and the system is good.
I can kind of see an argument for slottable combat CP skills. Sure, they'll probably just end up with everyone using cookie-cutter meta builds, but at least there's some actual choice and trade-offs there. Slottable CP skills for crafting/resource gathering/fishing/thieving/etc. is just wasting player's time for no good reason.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Me too. I am completely fine with the game having no competitive pvp or good endgame but how am I supposed to do any of my noobish bullshit if I can’t remember how to push any of the buttons
Good news! Depending on how long you've been gone, there's a decent chance you don't have any buttons to push, thanks to recent skill and CP changes that were big enough that they just reset everything.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

Ah that’s interesting. So are there local markets somehow? I’d be fine playing around with that, too.
Yes, and it's insanely stupid and annoying. Almost every town will have a handful of guild traders. To sell stuff there, guilds have to bid on the traders weekly, and traders in popular cities cost a large amount of gold each week. Only one guild can use each trader, and there's a lot fewer traders than there are guilds. The weekly bidding means that casual guilds won't have a guild trader, and trading guilds will generally require dues to keep up with the weekly bids.

There's also no good way to search every guild trader in the game, you have to walk up to each individual trader to see what's available for sale there, so price discovery doesn't work very well. There is a third-party website at https://www.tamrieltradecentre.com/ which uses data from players to keep a semi-updated, searchable list of items for sale. I know on PC there's mods that help populate the website, I'm not sure where the data comes from for consoles.

It's a nightmare system for the average player who just wants to buy something specific or maybe sell a lucky drop, but the devs are weirdly attached to the system.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

valuum posted:

Rapport is dumb, but the levelling is ridiculous and feels more like they never play-tested or thought through.
From what I remember reading, when they were released on the test shard you could instantly level them up, and pick up free purple companion gear from a vendor. Which was great for testing how useful fully powered companions could be and trying out different builds, and useless for getting any feedback on the leveling/gearing process as it exists in the live version.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ASenileAnimal posted:

especially if youre a dps and you have to wait like 40 minutes.
The best part is after waiting 40 minutes, you get queued with three other DPS players, two of whom just picked 'tank' or 'healer' to skip the line.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Error 404 posted:

Companions have their versions of fighter, mage, undaunted skill lines.

Doing those dailies levels those skill lines, just like it does for real players.

They are also the best way to level rapport. Mirri likes fighter dailies, Bastian likes mage. They get +125 rapport if they are active when you turn the quest in, for comparison most of the other rapport changes are like +/-1.
I believe it takes 20 guild dailies to max out the companion's guild skill line. You can run one a day for three weeks, or knock them out faster by using alts or getting friends to share the other daily quests with you. Luckily companion skills are account-wide, so you only have to do this once per companion.

For rapport, the dailies mentioned are good, and Mirri also gets +125 from one of the Ashlander dailies (the one from Numani-Rasi). Companions also get +500 for completing their personal quest which will become available once you've raised their rapport some. Rapport is unfortunately not account-wide.

Finally, leveling the companions themselves (not skill lines or rapport) only happens through combat XP. They don't get any quest or exploration XP, just a small percentage of any combat XP you earn while they're out. They do benefit from XP bonuses, so the best thing to do is wait for an event with double XP, put on training gear and pop an XP scroll, then just grind a ton of easy mobs.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

I read that, but it didn't seem to work for me.
It was definitely working for me when I maxed her rapport a couple of weeks ago. So much faster than maxing Bastian's rapport. It's the daily that sends you out to pick up relics, not the ashlander daily that has you hunt a monster. And not the delve or world boss dailies from Vivec city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

first off this is not a game like MTG or if you're familiar with it TES:Legends. while you can collect new decks and upgrade cards
That's because it's not a CCG like magic, it's a deck builder. Think Dominion or Ascension. For people familiar with those it's quick to pick up. For those who aren't - you're building your deck every turn, so try to only buy cards that will help your deck, and not dilute it. Buying cards of all 4 houses means that you'll almost never get any combos going, and cards that let you remove cards from you deck can be very powerful if you use them to winnow out the weaker starting cards in favor of the more powerful cards you've bought during play.