Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I probably spent most of my time in chapter 3 i think because i did like every sidequest I could and was disgustingly overlevled for the rest of the game

Yeah, this is what I did. It feels kind of weird to go back to the few you have to finish off after the ending, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is there anything besides the cartoon Steam versions available for purchase for 1-6? I'll emulated it if I have to, but I'd love to be able to play an actually decent port on the PS4 or Switch controllers. Ditto for Dragon Quest.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

The ps3 has copies of PSX ports which look and sound great but have really bad loading times.

ugh. I was thinking of those when I was playing Chrono Trigger. I never finished the original PSX port because that pause before they draw their weapons was so annoying, I actually hooked up our SNES instead. also I think it had the same problem Chrono Trigger does with emulation, which is that all the sound effects are vaguely wrong?

I wish Square-Enix would adopt the nintendo model of doing a port with a single save state, I'd pay at least Nintendo prices for DQ1-4 and FF6

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

DQ4 at least has an excellent port on DS

The only Zelda game I haven't 100 percented is Triforce Heroes because playing handhelds do bad things to my back. :(

I'm really hoping the Chrono Trigger with a little extra content and new translation hits consoles at some point. I'd play the hell out of DQ games with with quality of life additions like Pacheesi, weapon price adjustments, etc. Does the DQ4 port let you actually play as all the characters in Chapter 5?

Playing DQ6 & 7 would be cool too, I dunno.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drat, this owns. I might even play for a Steam version.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

the new content isnt great but the translation's a lot of fun. the new jobs come in at the tail end of the game and arent incredible and you dont get one until you beat the new ultra superboss so it's like whats the point

yeah, i kind of like the GBA translation but the new jobs basically show up when even the world's biggest completionist would be done with the game.

mysterious loyall X posted:

bsnes, snes 9x, retroarch with a good snes cores, and any other snes emu that has been updated in like the last decade will recognize a dual shock 4 for final fantasy 4-6. the best version of 4 is imo the super famicom one which you need a fan patch for anyway. the snes version cut a bunch of stuff and has a terrible translation and all the remakes are weird. ff6 has a gba port that's good but the music is terrible [on original hardware, not just emulators] but you can patch it to have the snes music. idr if ff5 had a gba port or not. ff2 and 3 aren't really worth playing imo. there's a billion ff1 ports. all the psx ports are trash as other ppl have said

yeah, ff4 is weird because the "hardtype" version is only officially available on the wonky ports. does a dual shock 4 actually get picked up by a laptop if you just use micro-USB to USB or w/e? i guess i never thought to try.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yes. for snes 9x, mednafen/retroarch, and bsnes/higan you don't even need a 3rd party mapper like ds4windows

i've been playing this with the j2e fan patch, thanks. Hardtype is harder than i remember, that section where Golbez kills your entire party in a cut scene and then you have to beat him with just Rydia and Cecil was insane, plus from like Tower of Zot on, most of your party gets two-hit killed even in the back row.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NienNunb posted:

The Octopath Prologue demo has me in the mood to finally give FF a try, should I start with 6? I have a SNES Classic so I'd be trying that version. Are there any bigass swords in it?

If you want to try a classic FF, 6 is pretty accessible IMO. it holds your hand as it teaches you all of the basic concepts and the art style looks like a lot of indie 2D games now. 1 and 4 might turn you away for difficulty and i love 5 but the most fun part of it is just making the numbers go up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

I’m worried I will screw up the sphere grid tbh. It’s a little overwhelming at first glance.

it's on rails until you can learn what you're doing. they won't give you the unlocking and teleport spheres that put people into each other's grids until later, when you can use the don tonberry trick to just march people around the grid.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

Okay that’s good to hear, thanks all. Just a couple of weeks until I’m on vacation and I’ll be able to really get into it.

The battle music is really good

nobuo uematsu is probably the best composer in video games, it's kind of a shame he moved and doesn't do it anymore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFX has really good music in general. FF9 and 10 really see Uematsu going crazy doing music he likes. 9 experimenting with classical guitar while 10 moves into metal and modern stuff. It's very cool.

Yeah, I think 10 and 6 are my favorites. Something about the weird digital opera of 6 really works with its aesthetic and just hearing a song from 10 really, really makes you want to play it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm at the very end of the game for Final Fantasy 4 and I have memories of how hard that eyeball boss is even in Easytype from when i was a chlid, so i have been putting it off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i got all the way to the end of Final Fantasy 4, but Zeromus kills two of my party members every time he casts Big Bang even with Dark Matter, and I hosed up my save states so i'd have to go back two hours, so i quit, lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it was fun replaying the game, though, thanks lyle for the info on the romhack.

i kind of want to move on to the SNES GBA translation of ff5 that Pablo Nergigante recommended, but i'm a 100 percenter and i threw out the checklists that i made in high school by cobbling together info from FAQs. is there a good walkthrough out there that like, just has a checklist at the top of the page, with like "do this before moving on"? i don't want to follow along with a bunch of "turn right here" directions, but i also don't want to miss like one piano in a town that gets swallowed by an earthquake in the next scene or w/e

e: nm, apparently the pianos aren't missable, and i think i remember most of the other important stuff, so i should just be able to find like a blue magic faq and go from there.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 30, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

I played it massively under leveled cause I ran away nonstop, and it's still beatable if you keep Rosa healing nonstop and get lucky with Kain's jump helping him miss a few big bang cycles.

I could probably beat it w/ save states eventually, I saved a lot of the Edge darts and stuff, but my basic problem is that Kain's jump cycle makes him miss Rosa's healing most of the time and Rosa is one of the two easiest targets for Big Bang. i'm like probably just a few levels under where Rydia would survive it more often, but honestly, the end of the game has been enough of a slog that i want to move on. it was fun to relive it, but i definitely like 5 & 6 better.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i will say it was really fun to watch them sort of figure out a lot of the things that stick around through the rest of the series, and also it's refreshing compared to the first game that it is extremely easy to play it without grinding at all, and it's also fun to see all the obvious gently caress-ups in what they were trying to do.

like the Wind Emperor does this thing where the game says "She won't take damage now, don't attack until cain jumps!" but then she just takes damage anyway. the double Phase bosses in the last dungeon get confused about reflect so they keep casting cure and haste on your party (they're still like the third hardest thing in the game, purely because they have a lot of HP, prevent you from healing, and do a lot of damage, but it's pretty funny). there's an eyeball enemy that does a death countdown (not the boss, he's brutal), and then he casts haste to try to speed it up, but it doesn;t speed up the countdown, and actually just makes you attack more often.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

the wonder years narration is real weird

not that the story would have been perfect, but it would be vastly improved by eliminating literally all of tidus's narration. all of it is stuff like "i felt... sad, and also... a little happy? when yuna danced" and "wakka thought about nothing except for the Sandlot, not even wendy pfeffercorn." none of it gives you new information or even gives you insight into tidus's thoughts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also i'm on galuf's world in final fantasy v now and i forgot how OP geomancer is. !Earth is insanely good even if it's a little unstable. getting the blue magic wasn't as hard as i remember it being, even if L5 Death is sort of annoying to get.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

A lot of that came from it being the first voice acted final fantasy i think. The game itself is real strong but the voice acting and direction are all over the place. Overall it’s a pretty strong narrative despite the technical issues.

It's definitely the direction IMO, most of the voice actors are fine in other stuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had no idea until just now that the guy who voices Seymour is Alex Fernandez, I'd alwayt thought they just hired whoever the current actor was for Winnie the Ppoh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

There was a technical limitation in the voice system they used. The lengths of the audio clips had to exactly match the lengths of the original Japanese recordings or else it would literally crash the game, and it's most noticeable when you realize that it takes significantly more time to say "yes" than to say "hai."

lol

every Final Fantasy localization story and quirk owns.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

John DiMaggio accidentally holds his "y'know?" for one extra-microsecond and Gilgamesh comes crashing out of a portal yelling "DID SOMEONE JUST TRY TO SKETCH AN INTANGIR IN HERE?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

each voice actor is forced to complete the Thunder Plains challenge as a timing exercise before they step into the booth.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, the audio engineers could trim the files down to the exact length needed, so the actors just had to deliver the lines fast enough.

They were actually too busy, because all of them had been called to assist in the development of a single rock for Final Fantasy XV.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's possible cloud is on the spectrum but squall is definitely the final fantasy autistic protagonist

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i just did the entire pyramid of moore twice in a row in ff5 because i forgot there was a Song ni the library until ExDeath sucked it into the void.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i finished FF5. Omega was a little harder than i remember but i just did the dualwield jump on shinryu. i had so much money by the time i got to exdeath that i just spammed $toss and healed once in awhile. I might move onto ff6 or i might take a break.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

they should have just made Siegfried Gilgamesh. it's not like VI doesn't have enough weird, unexplained mysteries, and abandoned stories, and it already has 2 final fantasy 5 in-joke characters, so it's not like they would have been breaking precedent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

The remakes of 6 have Gilgamesh added.

I know but let's be honest here: the remakes are not very good. there's a reason i used translation patches to play the japanese SNES versions of 4 and 5. also Siegfried's weird rivalry with Ultros that obviously got cut for time makes him a better Gilgamesh than the one they shoved in the Colisseum.

Anyway, I'm going to play FF6, and probably get all of the rages, except the 3 you can't get by cheating. i got very close to doing it once before, and i think it's time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

The GBA remake of FFV is fine

I like the sound in the SNES version better and i don't like the bonus content, but SNES vs. GBA ffv is a tie because the GBA version gives you free dash and makes the Thief ability double-dash most of the time.

I can't decide between v 1.0 and 1.1 on FF6, i know the cartridge i had was 1.0 cause of the sketch glitch, but neither one fixes the MBlock glitch and i don't think i want the GBA version.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

The GBA remakes have patches to fix the sound now so there's no reason not to play them.

I have no way of using a combination of soft reloads and hard resetting into loading save files to assist in manipulating Veldt combat sequences in the GBA versions, because nobody has figured out how it works yet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

Are there any rumors or plans of a direct sequel to 15?

I mean, given the ending, what would that even be?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

this has never stopped them before

Final Fantasy IV.3.d: The Truer Moon: Porom Scared Stupid (Mobile version)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Prompto would die of an attack of nerves if he was kissed on by anybody, and it's pretty cruel to wish that on him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

esperterra posted:

I feel the yearly urge to replay an Final Fanty but I can't decide which one

maybe I should finally finish XII or XIII, the black marks on my perfect FF record

I've played XII like all the way to end twice and never beat it for some reason

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i revived him by defeating the golden brachiasaur [very rare encounter 1/256 chance] in the dinosaur forest which drops the life elixer you use on his grave in thamasa

i just sketched an intanger and all fourteen playable characters were replaced by general leo dual-wielding Illuminas

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

anyway, i finally got a chance to play a little more ff6 this weekend, and doing an 100 percent rage run is kind of fun because it's forcing me to learn a lot about monster formations and attack patterns. you don't normally think about stuff like how many different combinations of leafer and dark wind there are in the first forest, or what leafers and dark winds even do besides die really quickly. like there are almost 600 possible combinations for combats and you probably run into less than half of them in a normal playthrough, it's kind nuts

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

pretty sure theres no encounters gear in the game somewhere

you can make it with the salt stuff you steal from dinner of the monks at zanarkand. purifing salts, I think. virtually necessary for the 200 lightning bolts challenge.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

I’ve done that stupid lightning dodging on 4 different games. I never want to even hear thunder again.

I'd do it 10 times before doing the butterfly minigame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I did score 1 goal and then idle behind a net for like 4 hours or whatever to get Wakka's ultimate blitzball.

this but passing the ball back and forth for 10 minutes because i wanted to be sure the defensive side got experience points that didn't matter at all lol