Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BlitzBlast posted:

I read web novels because I hate myself and the english language.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Paracelsus posted:

It helps that they give her a cartoony shark-tooth mouth rather than the horrifying pincers that traumatised a generation of children who played SimAnt.

also no grinding sound

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fleve posted:

For about the last 40 chapters Douluo Dalu has been stuck on an island doing tribulation after tribulation, which is dreadfully boring compared to the actual storyline they had going against the Spirit Hall. That vendetta and the wider politics drew me in. Now it's just power-up after power-up and, of course, Tang San excels at everything and achieves 200% at every test on the goddamn island so there is no tension, zero plot developments, and the humor was never worth mentioning anyway.

I'm not sure I can stand another 10-20, oh hell, probably 50 chapters of "he's so awesome, he carried the whole team and got AAA+++ ratings from the teachers and super amazing rewards" :fh:

i never could stick with douluo dalu (except for the comic because the colors are just so gorgeous) because it is perhaps the ur-example in web novels of one of the problems of virtue ethics where early on he straight up murders a guy on the street who was zero real threat to him over an insult and this was a praiseworthy thing that exemplified his courage and honor

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DeafAsianQT posted:

When did this happen?

I completely mixed up douluo dalu with shen yin wang zuo by the same author actually

i dropped douluo dalu because of the boring tournament arc instead

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Krunge posted:

A lot of main characters I have in my head like I think the author would look, some skinny lanky dude with black hair and maybe some glasses, then whenever a picture pops up it's inevitably either a hyper-muscular spartan or a male model in a robe with a smug smile.

having aphantasia means never having these problems (and also makes schlock WNs much easier and faster to read since my brain just skips over a lot of pointless visual detail)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

I think that this sort of thing exists on a spectrum. I can just create vague mental images that I have a really difficult time forming and holding onto, so I usually don't bother trying.

When I was having this battery of tests ~5 years ago (which basically consisted of an IQ test plus some other tests) to test for ADD (which I didn't have) I did extremely poorly on the test where they showed me one set of faces and then showed me a second set and told me to point out which faces were also a part of the first set. I was in something like the bottom 7th percentile. I also did just as poorly on a test where I had to repeat back a sentence I read, so I think it may be related to a general difficulty with short-term recall.

there's not a lot of research yet but there appears to be a correlation between poor mental imagery or outright aphantasia like i've got and problems with short term memory yeah i'm especially terrible with remembering names, but i can remember a face that i've seen before

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

I liked it too, especially the parts with the mundane policewoman against the magical world. Shame that it was abandoned during what seemed like the last book.

i have some bad or possible good news, if you like surprisingly well written fanfiction (much of which is dropped midway through) there's a lot of it, though i'll just drop two of the best written

Victory at Ostagar was the last fanfiction done by the author before transitioning to published short fiction (though she unfortunately died of cancer in 2015) and makes a convoluted but enjoyable political soap opera out of dragon age, and most unusually actually ends after five volumes

Lelouch of Britannia was written by somebody who read a stupendous amount of books published by Tor and does a great job of writing milfiction out of it. Afaik he never transitioned to published original work but it's better written than season 3 of code geass will be so there's that! Also note that it was written over seven years and then dropped in the middle in 2014

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was gonna complain, but then i remembered that this is effectively the garbage internet fiction thread anyway.

the only real difference is that the fanfiction is mostly written by women rather than men and has a different set of incredibly common garbage elements

fewer rapist heroes

sadly, only fewer

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FrantzX posted:

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

I would kill for a wn to have a tenth as much sheer hatred for slavery and aristocracy as twain packed into that

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
give me general sheridan's cavalry corps sent to a generic fantasy wn after whipping lee

kill all the slavers and forcibly occupy a forest idiots are trying to chop down, usual stuff

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Avulsion posted:

The entire 1632 series is available online. It's about a small town full of West Virginian coal miners that get teleported back to 17th century Germany and decide to gently caress up history.

There's magic in the form of sinking the Danish navy with speedboats and homemade aircraft, and dropping napalm on the Spanish Inquisition.

I have read not all of the series (because holy poo poo there are a lot of books) but I own a bunch of them and have read most and yeah

it does continue to own but there's not a lot of slaver killing

definitely a pro read for anybody in here

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man I haven't read any of the 1636 era stuff i am ages behind

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

jwang posted:

I forget which comedian it was, but he summed it up basically as "everything we use nowadays is pretty much black box to us." And it's true. How do you explain how LCD works in terms low tech people would understand? Can you even explain how to manufacture it? How about something simpler, the toilet? Can you explain how it works without looking up Wikipedia? Running water, which is essential to modern plumbing, can you explain how you pump thousands to millions of gallons of water to those who need it without them having to pump it out of a well? While some stuff you can do at home, the truth is that we are only as advanced as we are because we specialize further and further into each field of study. The things we use, the food we eat, the words we read, it all is the result of endless improvements over the centuries. While having the knowledge of how things work lets you bypass quite a bit of work, you would still have to do endless amounts of it to actually make it usable and commercially viable.

This is something the 1632 series goes into great depth about so if you're interested in something that is very concerned with the limitations of modern knowledge like this that's a good one (though important to note that the first book and thus the tech available to the protagonists predates the modern age of a computer in every pocket)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

I think having a single protagonist is part of what makes them fall flat - there is some cheesiness in the 1632 series, but having multiple viewpoint characters on opposing sides makes the progression feel more genuine.

Not to mention another key element of 1632's technology is 1632's politics; development comes from groups of people working together. Even the individual genius characters (and there are several people way too loving competent in 1632) work as part of a group because the entire series is philosophically opposed to the great man theory of history that is critical to the generally pro-monarchy or pro-dictatorship or hilarious libertarian perspectives of most wn/ln authors (and most manga/anime authors and most western fantasy or scifi novel writers, tbqh)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

Someone should write a scholarly paper on how Chinese, Korean, and Japanese web novels are reflective of each country's respective cultural ids. I feel like, before the web, publishing companies mandated some level of respectability, but the internet has allowed people to read the things they really want to read - power fantasies about being showered with riches, women, and praise.

I'm imagining there being some sort of textual analysis to find how often different types of rewards (money vs. praise vs. women, for example) are received by the protagonists of each country's respective web novels.

Strikes me as reductive, tbqh

Fanfiction is not the emodiment of america's cultural id that's trump but rather the embodiment of a particular subset of people, who are mostly women and mostly marginalized

I'd like to see papers on that from chinese, korean or japanese scholars about the subcultures that end up generating those works, but I do doubt that it is at all nationally representative

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dipple posted:

a WW2 one just popped up on novelupdates and one guess as to which side he's on lol

gently caress wehraboos

with any luck the story is a bait and switch and the protaganist ends up dying in a gas attack in wwi instead

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Herbotron posted:

Sometimes keeping non-English terms makes a lot of sense for the audience translators are writing for. It's often taken too far and can be practically unreadable at the extremes. Chinese novels involving old school nobility are generally the worst for this.

are you insulting me junior martial brother

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Autonomous Monster posted:

Eh. That one's pretty easy to work out.

There's a stretch in the ZTJ translations where "cultivate", "cultivation" etc. are left entirely untranslated. :shepface:

e: In fairness, if you're not already familiar with the concept, a translation probably isn't going to help you much there.

easy to figure out but its my go to for just how ridiculous wn translations can get when dialogue approaches 50% titles by word

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

*I mean seriously, you don't get much worse than that. At that point you're basically just saying torture is okay.

tbqh this is basically a default assumption even in 'heroic' fantasy so hardly without precedent

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Arkeus posted:

It's really, really not. It's something that happen a lot on the more 'edgy' Fantasy from authors with little knowledge. Most often, though, torture is only something that the most vile of enemies do.

The 'heroes' capturing some low level bad guy and demanding answers, then breaking their nose or stabbing them in the hand or similar to get an answer is super common

even before the dubya era media decided to just go whole hog into defending torture directly

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lyon posted:

Is A Will Eternal really any better than ISSTH? I read the first few chapters and it felt exactly like ISSTH except the protagonists goal is to never die as opposed to become rich.
  • Joins sect in funny/odd way
  • Finds powerful magic item
  • Develops unique scam to earn money

issth was great when it was doing those things, tho

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

It bothers me very much that in Re:Zero apparently having your stomach sliced open results in dying within like 1-2 minutes. I'm pretty sure that sort of injury could actually take literally hours of torturous pain to kill you.

that's more for lower abdominal injuries to the intestines

a deep enough cut to open the stomach probably also hits the kidneys, liver or aorta and would easily lead to rapid death from blood loss and shock

and even the intestines if it was a sweeping cut rather than a penetration (like from a spear, arrow or gunshot) could also easily lead to rapid exsanguination

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

harems are dull because they reduce love interests to items to be collected rather than characters who could be interesting.

i feel like that's more that wn writers are dull

tenchi muyo is terrible but the cast are certainly characters and that's like, quintessential harem anime

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

darkgray posted:

In the case of harems, some of it may root in the popularity of something like Mushoku Tensei (big title spoiler), where the author managed to manoeuvre his story into a place where polygamy was somehow inevitable, and it's convinced even female readers as being the best outcome (going by comments). Now clones spring up eternal.

I actually stopped reading that when that poo poo started happening b/c given the buildup and history of the MC it was absolutely not acceptable and then I went and checked spoilers and there wasn't a walkback or repentance and I was like 'nah gently caress this'

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

organism posted:

I can't wait until the inevitable backlash where everyone gets sick of bland-OP-MC-transported-to-another-world-gains-a-harem over saturation and then we can get actual good stories.

The pop culture/media cycle tends to go like this:

1. New idea (or remix/evolution of an old idea)
2. Flood of lovely copycats trying to cash in on the new idea
3. Parodying/self-aware deconstrucitons of the new idea
4. Fatigue from the new idea creating polar opposite versions that cash in on *not* being the new idea
5. Go back to 1

We seem to be getting a good ways into step 3 now. Hopefully step 4 starts showing up in a year or two.

the weird thing for me with the isekai stuff is i've seen avogadro's number of wns about 'summoned hero to defeat the dark lord, except with a twist~'

but i've never actually seen whatever the original example is, like an outright story of a person who gets summoned to be a hero and then just loving does it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

My favorite thing about that story is that the whole gimmick is supposed to be the protagonist bringing his smart phone, so I was at least expecting a bunch of weird shenanigans where he used his smart phone to help build up a medieval society or something, but nope - it turns out he also has special magic powers, uh, just because I guess.

the one where the hikikomori's whole house gets transported and he asks for advice on message boards is the best one

because its the dog who gets special magic powers

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rangpur posted:

...does the dog end up with a sultry harem of disembodied floating legs?

idk it was nowhere near finished and for i know it turned into a shitshow later but it was great how the dog was clearly the hero

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rangpur posted:

So, Needful Things.

or xxxholic :tem:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

jon joe posted:

Are there any stories where:

1) The protagonist doesn't have any special powers compared to others (or if they do, it's not what makes them successful)
2) The protagonist is legitimately a good person

The closest I've seen was early Ze Tian Ji, but even that was stretching the first requirement

Bathroom Goddess is about an ordinary woman whose bathroom window keeps linking to different parts of another world where she feels compelled to help people pretty much just because she can.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

to me, the strangest part of chinese wn's is how every one of them i've read absolutely seethes with greed. more money, more power, more women, but it is never enough and this endless thirst is somehow seen as a virtue.

lovely WNs and LNs seem to represent some lovely desire of lovely people who are well off and educated enough to write

ours are the same they just get published more

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_duck posted:

Seoul Station Necromancer is 3 chapters away from the ending, and plottwists are happening

SPOILERS:
Everything was in VR all along. Kind of a bad cop-out plottwist for a gamelike novel like this. Sigh.

Thanks for posting this spoiler so I can take it off my list of stuff to eventually catch up on, that's the lamest possible

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You could tell an interesting story about the usual nonsense "only one out of a thousand will ever achieve the next level" by having the main character and also the entire cast that are relevant be people who can't do that

make it so that the story is about people and interests in the world and the weird distant higher level ones capable of just hiding from the world and caring about nothing for decades or centuries are more like natural disasters or enigmas to be survived or puzzled about

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Uchi no musume made the top 10 which let me know that's actually still actively coming out

i really hope it has not somehow gotten creepy since it was one of the best adorable LNs

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Largepotato posted:

They eventually become a couple. :reddit:

are you serious

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
otoh we got fate//cooking and popteamepic this season

anime sharting is a land of contrasts

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

booksnake posted:

The entire point of an editor is to improve work that needs it. Pretty sure that stuff falls in that category. Then again, it's this thread so maybe your argument is actually "lots of people want to read utter garbage so let them"

Translators should be improving things and making it make sense, not completely rewriting them. If they would find releasing lovely awful nationalism under their name unacceptable then they should drop the project and let it die in isolation, not try to rewrite it to not have the lovely awful nationalism the author put there.

Actual editors (which they aren't) work with the author to improve the text, they don't just rewrite it themselves and send it out. Except in really lovely news organizations.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 19, 2018

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

wanking about japanese food in isekai is lazy, is all. no character ever has their own preferences in food, no world ever has its own unique ingredients or dishes, so of course they all react to onigiri like they are made of heroin. mushoku tensei of all things did this better, where the mc was low-key obsessed with recreating japanese food but none of his family really cared for it. of course, mushoku tensei is godawful and even the laziest food isekai where any random dish causes an entire fantasy world to roll around on the ground shrieking "ooooiiiiiishhiiiiiiiiiiii" is still way better.

also while its not a web novel if there's anybody who is reading this thread who hasn't read Dungeon Meshi you owe it to yourself to do so

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I would like an Isekai where the MC is from another, far more bizarre fantasy world.

That's basically the concept of this harry potter fanfic, the protaganist is isekai'd there from tabletop dnd, but that's the only one like that i can think of

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

I very much prefer this; what can anyone recommend that also has a good translation? The more detailed the explanation and narration is of how they recreated earth thing with magic thing (a la Honzuki), the better.

if you're more interested about how to get technology and a fair society running than specifically technomagic i'll point to the 1632 series of actual-factual novels as a good thing to read in that genre, it counts as a WN imo since the first couple are available free online: http://baencd.freedoors.org/Books/1632/1632.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
in other disappointing subjects i very much enjoyed Transmigrator Meets Reinarnator for nearly 300 chapters of dowry management, social intrigue and gathering immense influence through the application of knowing how to cook a wide variety of food but it did sadly remember that it's technically a romance and the (very and occassionally disturbingly) accurately portrayed abusive husband relationship just sort of starts up again with him being just normal abusive rather than ruthlessly so.

It was incredibly an incredibly depressing (and distressing, which is why i had to stop) surrender to toxic het nonsense after like, very accurate depictions of the aftermath of helplessness and trauma that felt like the author just realizing what the problem was but not being able to imagine a way out