Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I fired this up after a couple year break and I'm pretty lost. Sitting on 47 Mythril after cleaning out my box and wondering whether to keep going or restart given how outdated all my stuff is. (So many 11 pulls without a relic from before they made it guaranteed :cry: )

My relics:
Diamond Pin
Hunter's Rod
Golden Spear
Blood Lance
Murasame
Cobalt Katzbalger
Zantetsuken
Danjuro
6* Rune Axe+

Noble's Armguards
Sanctum Gloves
2x Gold Bangle
2x Regal Gown

I'm at 115 stamina and have roughly 35 characters between 50-65, nothing above as that was the cap when I quit.

On the upside I'm sure there's a TON of new content to get first clear Mythril from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Attestant posted:

Keep going. Synergy is still valuable, even if the soul breaks are outdated.

Just start by hitting all the 25-mythril lucky draws that are active right now. That should give you a decent item base to work with.

Ok so I should hit all the low level stuff I haven't done to scoop up the free Mythril, do the 25-mythril first draws on all the machines available and figure it out from there? At a glance there has to be well over a hundred Classic Dungeons I haven't touched never mind their Elite Counterparts.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh my god I love the Vault. Just shoved a bunch of 3*s in there and I HAVE INVENTORY SPACE.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Looking over my abilities was far less depressing than my Relics at least. I have all the good 3* stuff honed to rank 4-5 and some of the important 4* stuff like Power and Magic Breakdown at ranks 3/5, Protectga and Shellga unlocked, etc.

I see I can shatter all the low level stuff I no longer need and upgrade those Orbs to higher tiers. I currently have about 300-500 of every 3* Orb, roughly 50 of each 4* Orb and about 1-6 of the 5* stuff. Should I upgrade aggressively to put together 5* Full Break then focus on getting my 4* Breakdowns and Elemental attacks ranked up?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Ouch, you weren't kidding. There goes 700k but I have 1/5 Full Break. :woop: Fortunately I had 2mil gold kicking around from before I quit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fister Roboto posted:

When I was in your position I used this guide to help prioritize my spending. It's pretty useful.

I found that one last night and it's awesome. Definitely a huge help.

Where do the Memory Crystal II and IIIs come from? Is it strictly events? I have Cloud, Tidus and Wakka sitting at 65/65 with Garnet, Vivi and both Cecils at 62-64.

Also in terms of unlocking Record Materia, I vaguely recall just playing with a character a lot and hoping to get lucky. Is there any trick now to unlocking Record Materia? I see a lot of guides recommending I unlock the Tyro and Cloud ones for +1 Soul Break at the start.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Servaetes posted:

I wouldn't touch FF11 with a ten foot pole as everything I have heard about it was the game was insanely hot garbage, so I don't pay attention to any aspect of it. The only character I can tell exists from that game is a psychopath hamster mage

Minsc was in FF11?

FF11 and 14 are the two best titles in the entire franchise. :colbert:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I've ground out a bit more mythril, did a couple more rolls, got a couple more relics. Got a Sasuke's Blade which hits a whole lot harder than the Katana I used to have on Sephiroth. I also got 2x Wizard Staff, Yoichi Bow, Fire Lash (that Soul Break seems really good :stare: ), Deathstrike Darts and Fritt Mirage (Beyond). Still working on getting the Mythril together to pull on the THF, BLM and WHM machines.

I still have 1000 gems kicking around from when I played before. I'm guessing I should save them for the 100 gem special pulls?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I unlocked the necessary characters and started using some of those fancy new relics.

Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

I just threw together the following and it's shredding elite Realm Dungeons without breaking a sweat:
Krile (Fire Lash)
Setzer (Deathstrike Darts)
Aerith (Wizard Staff)
Tyro (Keeper's Tome)
Ramza (Sasuke's Blade)

I got two Keeper's Tomes in my lucky pull, any reason not to fuse them to 6*? I'm keeping the 2x Wizard Staff separate as my relic pool is pretty limited and it's a good caster stat stick, but I think I read the only other tome user is Alphinaud from FFXIV who I don't have unlocked.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
After a couple days back and getting my head around how the new relics work it seems like the next really huge power increase would be unlocking Tyro and Cloud's RM3s. Is there a shortcut to get ahold of a Memory Crystal 3?

MC2 seems very doable at 99-110 difficulty and I read a guide where I can score one for free abusing friend list summons with the Nightmare missions. But 140-160 difficulty for a MC3 feels pretty out of reach.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Schwartzcough posted:

Are you sure you need their MC3s? If you want their Record Materia that lets you start with a full SB gauge, you don't need their MC3; having their MC2 is enough. Also, make sure you know HOW to unlock their first two RMs, which you need to do before you can get their third RM to drop. At least for Cloud I know one requires beating a specific Elite storyline dungeon.

Oh it doesn't require the MC3? That's awesome! I'll research the steps tonight. My Cloud is already at 65/65 and I've got a couple possibilities I can likely beat for a MC2 plus a freebie from Nightmare dungeons using the aforementioned friend list trick.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Schwartzcough posted:

At least for Cloud I know one requires beating a specific Elite storyline dungeon.

Just checked and apparently I got that one in the old Vit0 days. Go past me. So now I just need MC2 crystals for Cloud and Tyro then I can have both! :woop:

The energy bar ticks agonizingly slow when I have stuff like this I want to do.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Master of Fate turned out pretty well! First event since coming back and I cleared up to Jail Keeper+++ nabbing a MC2 selector and a bunch of other stuff. Even if I don't progress much further for a bit I'd be plenty happy to kick back, level guys, farm MC2s and 4-5* Orbs for a bit.

Edit: Oh hey. Decided to do a random 100 gem pull and got Selphie's USB. Nice.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 5, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah I'll farm them more when my stash of eggs starts to run dry. I still have 22 Majors, 78 Greaters and 200 Regulars after taking Selphie from 1-65 and Tyro the rest of the way to 65. Did a first completion of all the stages today though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Any suggestions for spending Gysahl Greens? I was thinking Weekly 1x Mythril > Weekly Major Orbs necessary to hone Full Break > Stamina Shards for now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CaptainPsyko posted:

1 is worth it six is not.

(If you clear all content, you'll end with 4/5 stamina shards and this has been the case for months and will be as far into the future as we can see through JP.)

Good to know! I've still got a ton of story content to clear but I'll keep it in the back of my mind for later if a week with no Major Orbs I'm ready to use syncs up with a day the stamina refresh would be helpful.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I rolled on the Celerity banner and wound up with Gau's SSB which seems to be kinda crap, but also Shadow's SSB. From what I can see elsewhere it used to be a top SSB but has kind of fallen off recently as newer stuff got released? Seems like it should still be pretty good given my limited relic pool.

Maybe this could be a workable team for now?
Ramza (USB)
Tyro (BSB)
Selphie (USB)
Setzer (BSB)
Shadow (SSB)

I've been using Krile with her SSB in the Shadow slot but it feels like another physical attacker and Shout as a friend summon would be better? My other modern relics are Aerith's SSB, Fran's SSB and Lann's BSB. I've been getting all the MC2s in events but haven't attempted the difficulty 120+ stuff yet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
1/11 Alph SSB :suicide:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Randabis posted:

I got a 3 star icebrand on my dollar pull haha.

Ditto. But I got Ramza's USB in my first 100 gem pull so 1/3 on them still feels pretty good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wish half price story dungeons would last forever. I'm up around 30 stamina refreshes and 150 mythril since that started plus gobs of 4-5* Orbs. Still only at 129 stamina so I believe 50+ stamina refreshes worth of story dungeons to go. :stare:

For someone with around a half dozen relevant relics (Ramza USB, Selphie USB, Tyro BSB, Krile Sheepsong, Setzer BSB, Lann BSB and Alph Deployment Tactics) I'm guessing I should be hoarding mythril for the upcoming Extreme Fest and Cloud? The current Lightning pull is super tempting even at 50 mythril.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pander posted:

If you don't have good XIII synergy go for it, you can keep getting drip mythril from realms and the while banner is solid. If you have even a few decent XIII things hold off.

The only XIII thing I have is an ancient shared SB Hunter's Rod from way back around launch before I quit.

So yeah, nothing even remotely decent XIII.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
A 200-250 Mythril "starter kit" with Tyro Wall, Shout, a Medica BSB and whatever other junk they want to throw in would be a godsend.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CaptainPsyko posted:

FYI, for those that still care about XP/Sundaily:

Yeah I read about it on Reddit. I know where all my Stamina is going for be next while.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Is there any consensus on the old Valefor vs Maduin debate now that there's a Thursday Summon Orbs dungeon? I'm guessing Maduin since it's less orbs overall, but I'm drowning in Wind Orbs and light on Summon Orbs.

I should probably just be patient and slowly burn Summon Orbs on Maduin over time. It's not like I'm frantic to get either one honed up.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Way behind most of you guys but I managed to get past Lifeless Wanderer (Ultimate) for my very first MC3 crystal today! :woop: Came up one medal short of Mastery, but I can live without the Major Orbs and one Power Crystal.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
No surprise but I'll be pulling all those banners. Only one with dupes is #4 since I have Ramza USB and Alph SSB.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm way too excited for the new lucky pulls. Been patiently sitting on 150+ Mythril but man do I need a couple more BSBs or something. Got my main team capped at 80 for now waiting on my next batch of relics to dictate what direction to take my main team.

So hype. :woop:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Pulled and got Raine's SSB and Balthier's SSB. That's cool I guess. Still desperately need another BSB or two of pretty much any sort, but the third lucky will hopefully help with that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Since this is my first Orbfest, do I need to run all the Armor material stages before the end of phase 1 for the Mythril or can I do them later during a phase with Orbs I want less?

If it's a new set of Armor stages each wave I don't want to miss out on a bunch of Mythril waiting.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
gently caress. 1/11 Penelo SSB. :suicide:

I almost feel like I should quit and restart my relic pulls have been so trash. 300+ Mythril wasted before the game even included a guaranteed relic and out of the lucky pulls since I came back it's been one steaming pile of poo poo after the next. :sigh:

No wall. No medica BSB. Sheepsong but no physical Shout. Barely any BSBs at all.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

way to go steve posted:

I feel you, but I wouldn't recommend it. Having a baseline of levelled characters, skills, and statsticks is super valuable. So many resources in this game are dictated by the drip over time.

Yeah you're right, I'm just on tilt. I have way too many hours sunk into this account. It'd take me hundreds of hours to grind all these characters back to 80/all my 4* honed skills/etc.

It's just so frustrating not even being able to assemble a credible base team worth of relics and getting 1/11 lovely SSB pull after pull.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

way to go steve posted:

Bad pulls suck, and they happen a lot. It's especially frustrating because people tend to want to share their good pulls. But keep in mind, a fundamental part of the game is to keep you feeling like you're missing something. I have some amazing stuff and I'm still frustrated at my lack of a hastega for my mages, and not having a native source of astra.

As long as you can clear most stuff and hop in discord for raid clears your power level has nowhere to go but up!

Yeah it's all good. I just need to be patient. I'm kind of running into a wall with so many characters trapped at 80 and barely squeaking past the MC3 bosses, but I have 125 mythril left and some good banners to pull on coming up. Plus it sounds like Cloud USB being RWable might help do some nutty things with an undergeared team once that gets released.

After bad pulls on the last half dozen banners I kinda zeroed in on the Medica banner thinking "At least I'll finally get one part of the Wall/Medica BSB/Shout trinity". Seeing that 1/11 SSB pull put me on tilt. I'll just keep grinding Orbfest and maybe BSB+ tomorrow will bring good things.

A BLM BSB would actually give me a pretty good Mage team. Plus because I played so much before taking a year off I actually have the orbs to craft and hone a couple Chaingas.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
2/11 Orlandeau's OSB and Yang's SSB! :woop:

Feels like a pretty big win to me after the awful streak I've been on.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Must... be... strong. Sentinel's Grimoire on Banner #5 isn't that far away. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
:woop: Got my second MC3! Now I just need to figure out who to use them on.

Lann's BSB was a beast. :stare: Can't wait to use Yang's BSB to have two heavy hitters.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Man there's so much content I've been ignoring because I assumed it'd be too tough.

Just cleared both difficulties of Red Dragon and Behemoth King plus the easier difficulty of Soulcage. Also knocked out all the normal mode Mired in Crisis bosses. Looks like at least the first couple MiC hard mode bosses are doable along with some of the Nightmare dungeons.

First time I went to look at the Raid content I saw a 220 difficulty fight and figured they were all like that. :doh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Also people are often happy to carry you for most of the d220 raid fights.

Yeah I gave that a shot a couple times but didn't have any success. Brought Tyro's BSB to put up Protect/Shell on everyone then spammed Full Break/Magic Breakdown/Armor Breakdown while the 99s did their thing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Thanks a bunch for the offers of help, I think I figured out the trick for this week.

I spent an hour banging my head against the wall joining other people's groups and failing. Closest we got was 50%. Then I made my own group, three people with super stacked characters joined instantly. Two of them bailed mid-fight so I ended up just piloting most of the team. Won on the first try AND I got to try out badass new soul breaks like Cid Raines and Y'Shtola.

If I'd known that was a thing I'd have done this long ago just to try out all the awesome SBs I'll probably never own.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I've got Full Break honed once to four uses and I have a bunch of other 5* Orbs starting to pile up. Roughly 20-25 of everything except Power, Lightning and Holy.

The realization that Orlandeau's OSB is pretty good has kind of shifted my primary team around him and he's in the mid 80s rapidly heading toward being my first 99. I'd like to craft a 5* ability to slot in his second ability slot with Lifesiphon as the obvious first. I was thinking Powerchain to speed up the OSB cast. I also read Powerchain into Lifesiphon better for building meter than 2x Lifesiphon.

Am I wildly off track? Are there any 5* abilities I should be eyeing once I get Full Break honed up to 6 uses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

NGDBSS posted:

Powerchain is nice to have for certain combos, but as a tool for Orlandeau OSB it's only useful for the first shot. (Beyond that you get Thunder God mode for 25 seconds which gives you 3x cast speed, and if you're using Orlandeau OSB once you're probably looking to chain it.)

Thanks for posting this, it's really helpful. I think I'll do Multi-Break right now even though Tyro is the only one who can use it. I've got three pulls lined up for Banner #5 so with a little luck I'll get SG to go with his BSB and he'll be a staple in my party anyway. Then I'll have to figure out what to stick in Orlandeau's second slot.

• Locked thread