Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is it a bad idea to use mythril for a stamina recharge on these sundailies? It's really tempting to refresh it and keep pushing levels, but I know a lot of people recommend never using mythril for stamina.

It's not a bad idea if it's going to significantly enhance your power level. Last week I couldn't defeat two of the dooms so I dropped five mythril on the Sundaily and leveled my A-team, acquiring Mako Might and Battleforged in the process.

I wrecked those two dooms as a direct result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lucky pull is lucky. First pull since banner one of BSB fest and I got Mustard's gun, his vest, and Lust Dagger for Luneth.

Tactics was already my strongest realm, but now it's ridiculous. Luneth's dagger, on the other hand, is my first FF3 relic.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I keep pulling the best support relics in the game, but there's no way I can reasonably fit Mustard into my team alongside Ramza, Faris, and Rosa. That's not even taking my poor, neglected Red 13 into account.

First world problems for sure.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I would argue that Papalymo's Ley Lines on Minfilia 1 is a better Faithga than Braska's, and one of the many, many reasons to multipull on that banner.

e: Oh, IF you have a separate haste. Disregard.

Also it's not in the game.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How much of an upgrade are the four star spellblade skills over their three star cousins?

I know it's common advice to hone up the three star ones when you're new and orbs are scarce, but I have a lot more orbs than I used to and honing the fours is no longer a laughable proposition. Is there any reason not to do this?

EDIT: Also - is there a list of characters that can hit five attacks with Thief's Revenge? I'm wondering if crafting it for Faris is a good idea.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 13, 2016

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm off to an excellent start with this banner. Dollar pull got me Garnet's Wizard Rod. Once I get my hones in line my future mage team is going to be absolutely broken.

http://imgur.com/JIpVAEk

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

LornMarkus posted:

I can do you one better: I got that exact pull before G5. I really cannot stress enough how hellish the game originally was for me before I quit. :smithicide:

And now it's hellish for us because we have to listen to you sperg about your JP account constantly.

Just kidding...mostly.

EDIT: The more I look at Garnet and my new Wizard Rod the more I realize how awesome it is. I may just pull on banner two instead now because my love for Vivi knows no limit.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 14, 2016

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Confirming that Garnet's Wizard Rod is very underrated. It makes her into a beast and that SSB plays nicely with just about every other medica and buff effect.

I'm going to see how the Ults treat me before I pull on banner one. Almost certainly pulling for Vivi on banner two though.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it sucks a little bit having your best days behind you. I know I'll get some good pulls going forward, but there's no way I'll ever match the 15 mythril pull I did which netted me Greg's BSB, Faris's BSB, and Sheepsong.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Griefor posted:

I had a disappointing pull on Eiko's Banner. 2/22, Beatrix's BSB and Garnet's SSB. Not that bad in general, but I was hoping for more FFIX synergy items and some soul breaks for characters I would actually get from the event

:shobon:

I was going to reply by mocking you but then I realized you're very new and didn't realize how good your pull was.

Garnet's SSB is badass all by itself, and any BSB means you've had a lucky pull.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 16, 2016

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm pretty much just resolved to never be negative about a pull again, I've got a fuckton of luck debt to pay back from drawing Vaan's BSB on the celerity lucky draw :shobon: I'll be pretty salty if I get nothing for Alphinaud in three Minfilia 1 pulls, but that's about it.

Yep, agreed. I'm due to pull nothing but lovely off-banner generics for at least the next five pulls.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can Finishing Touch and other OSBs crit?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

KataraniSword posted:

Meltdown is still the best 6* skill, but Curada definitely is a contender for the top tiers.

As a bonus, the overheal isn't affected by MND so you can bring it on someone like Beatrix as backup.

You're comparing an apple to an orange. They're equally good, just for different purposes. Hone them both!

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Garnet's Wizard Rod is awesome and underrated but pulling a second one (and nothing else) when I hit 200 mythril and decided to try for Hamelin didn't quite satisfy.

I rage-pulled the FF2 banner in response and my normal luck returned. Looks like I can save the rest of my mythril for now. :circlefap:

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 22, 2016

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Firion's BSB is nuts.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've found the rhythm for Firion's burst commands. In the long U+ fight from FF9 I got him up to the max eight hits on his attack command and found it extremely enjoyable.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imgur failed me last time I tried to post an image here, but I may very well need to try again for this to be believable.

The lucky draw gave me six rainbow orbs. Ended up being 2 Sphairai from 14, 2 Yoichi Bows from 5, a Traitor's Bow from 12, and Yoshimitsu from 14.

Already had the Traitor's Bow but the rest are pretty awesome, and I guess the additional bow is more synergy for the next event.

EDIT: Holy poo poo it's even better than I thought. Traitor's Bow was not a dupe - the other FF12 bow I have is Fran's Killer Bow.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 26, 2016

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I pulled Maria's faithga + AOE nuke along with Firion's BSB when I pulled on the first FF2 banner last week and I've been meaning to ask:

What is the percentage on that faithga? Is it 10% like I think it is?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a website where you can look up exactly what a SB does in terms of percentages? I want to know exactly how much Maria's SSB from the first banner adds to magic.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks! Didn't realize that spreadsheet was so useful. I think it's linked in the OP.

20% is more than I'd hoped. I figured it would be 10%.

Maybe I will try that CM after all.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got six SBs out of the lucky draw and now Orichalcum Dirk from my dollar draw...just insane.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ashe's Stoneblade is amazing because it's a medica on a mage. If you want to go mage meta with a non-healer medica then it's either her or OK. There's nobody else.

Surprised to see people here are disappointed to draw it. I already have Faris's BSB so I would have preferred to pull Stoneblade for my dollar draw instead of the Orichalcum Dirk I pulled.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have all the relevant breakdown SBs for Agrias, Faris, and Fran. I thought there was a cap on breaking stats. Would adding Vaan to those three really make a difference?

EDIT: Yiffie is a ninja. Ninja magic is ghetto and I don't like it.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inge posted:

Also ninja magic rules, don't be a scrub :(

Thanks for the lengthy reply! Gotta quibble a bit, though: Global FFRK is a single player non-competitive nostalgia game. It's impossible to be a scrub. I use ninja magic for those rare times it really shines, but otherwise I want mages in my mage party. I love ninjas, just not for magical purposes.

I also have a number of fine magical mage SBs, but no magic SBs for ninjas so...

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're right, it's good. I simply have multiple BSBs that are in the same neighborhood in terms of damage and utility, whereas I don't have a single non-healer medica.

I generally run Faris and Ramza for support. I don't feel like I lose any DPS because with Shout and Mug Bloodlust active, Faris hits like a train.

Ramza is the weak link, if anything, because he is basically a shout bot. I am considering pulling on the first choice banner just to grab Grand Armor so he becomes less one-dimensional. If my current hot streak continues I'll pull his burst next chance I get as well.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lechtansi posted:

Did my half price debuff pull - got Strago's mace, Wakkas ball, and the grand prize Faris BSSB. I normally have perma-Ramza on my team, because I have shout, but now i'm tempted to have two debuffers on my team.

If Ramza is happily doing shout + lifesiphon + full break, what should I put on Faris?

I usually run Ramza + Faris. Ramza gets lifesiphon or banishing strike plus a breakdown or full break. RM is Mako Might

Faris gets mug bloodlust plus a breakdown or full break. With both shout and mug her BSB hits hard. I've also run Wrath + Steal Power and that works too. RM is Battleforged. With that you can pretty much chain BSBs.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

There will be an exp dungeon during the Onion Knight event, which comes a while before the orbfest, so don't stress about leveling them too fast. When people talk about spending mythril to refresh sundaily it hurts me.

It's sometimes a good idea, especially for newer players.

Also got my second Lightbringer with my dollar draw...I think I'll combo it with my original because I don't need three +holy swords.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

W.T. Fits posted:

Or everyone gets hit with Slowga and then get torn apart at the boss's leisure since I have no native Hastega and bringing a RW Hastega means forgoing SG/Stoneskin.

What's the next event after this one? Hopefully it won't be as insanely overtuned as this one.

Ahriman is not overtuned. The U++ def is though.

My strategy if I were you would be to pull on any banner with a solid hastega or wall. Unless you're consistently lucky then there's a great deal of content you won't be able to handle without at least one of those two buffs native.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

I'm wondering how in the world these Overstrikes can outperform BSBs. Even if the attack itself does more damage than the initial BSB, it seems like several turns of using the BSB's skills will end up doing more overall. The weapon itself is still obviously really good, but it seems like the skill isn't as useful.

OSBs don't excite me for this reason. You can't really do a straight comparison, but a solid BSB with utility is going to be better in most situations.

Having both is best of all! :circlefap:

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
There will be so much joy and sorrow in this thread once OK Banner 1 drops.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's on their level in the sense that if you don't have Shout then OK BSB is just as good. You don't need both of them.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That depends on your team. They're definitely equal, though.

To me OK's real draw is the combination of his BSB and his SB from the second banner that is a 40% medica. That makes him at least as versatile as Ramza if you have both relics.

EDIT: Firion just cleaned up the basic witches. Is the big boy brawl just as easy?

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 5, 2016

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got a third magic blink in the form of Kimahri's SSB and a second copy of Fire Lash out of two dollar draws. I have amazing luck with those.

Now that I have three magic blinks including Firion's at instant speed I should be even more regularly steamrolling bosses that are otherwise out of my league.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I could hone some of my water skills up a bit higher, but that would require me breaking down major ice orbs, and I'm prioritizing R2 Full Break pretty heavily right now. It looks to me like the rewards for the U++ aren't worth the setback that losing multiple major ice orbs would cost me on that front, so I'll probably just try a few different strategies and just let it go if that doesn't work, since U and U+ rewards seem a lot more useful anyway.

Gonna echo the advice of others in this thread with more wisdom and skill than we have and point out that this is a bad idea. Hone the 3s and 4s to a comfortable level before chasing the 5s.

I had no problem doing Daedalus or any of the last several U+/U++ bosses and my Full Break is only R1. If you have the 6 skills from the five dooms event they can really help bridge the gap too.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 9, 2016

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not at this early stage. Eventually you'll want to level Tyro to at least 65 so you can get his Record Materia, though.

Feel free to take him out of your party until you're ready to level him.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

paperwind posted:

Goon parties will need to be organized for this. I'm not wasting my precious stamina on pubbie plebs.

PLEBBIES!

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
BSB draw got me Penelo's Intercession and nothing else. It's really rare for me to only get one 5* from any draw, even pre-G5*. That being said, it's pretty strong as well as being my first healer burst and it'll help with my evolving mage meta. I cannot possibly have better Shout team relics so from this point on I'm going mage.

Then I pulled my first pull on OK 1. Only one rainbow orb again! But it turned out to be OK's gauntlets so I'm good again!

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Attestant posted:

Guys. Guys.

Vaan BSB is really good.

Yeah I dollar pulled it on the last 12 banner and it's been a great back-up for me against any boss without elemental weaknesses. It's kind of awkward because it's the sixth or seventh best SB I have and so Vaan constantly hovers on the edge of being on or off the team.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had planned 150 each for OK banner and FFVI Shadow banner and got both OK's gauntlets and Shadow's Koga Blade for my first pull on each, so now I have 257 mythril.

Gonna pull once or twice on 14 and then spend the rest on 13 so I can get Raines BSB. I'll probably have this problem again after I get what I want for only 100 mythril once more.

EDIT: Angeal 2 has Sephiroth's Darkness gloves right? I have a physical aoe imperil dark to go along with Shadow's BSB so I want to try to progress further toward my pipe dream elemental dark team.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does increasing magic increase damage exponentially like increasing attack does?

• Locked thread