Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

yup. that's Dusk's Decree alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

or Gaia Cross + Retaliate. i got his sword (+wind! goes great with butz's cloak) and i'm pretty happy with the guy so far

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lol if your A-team isn't all characters from FFV, the best FF

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's got the spammable party h25, which is the important part

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ETB posted:

I'd still strongly disagree, given that Fire Orbs are required for Fires Within, Meteor Crush, and other fun new skills.

yeah i'm looking at a deficit of fire orbs, especially since they're used for twin firestrike, thunderstrike, and the 5* ninja fire scroll. holy otoh i've got more than i know what to do with

still what i could really use is more wind and dark orbs. stupid thief skills.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Varance posted:

Quistis joins the BSB club... now to dive her to 5* black to make her useful! :suicide:

just wrath into her burst

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

What am I really after if I pull on this banner? I'm looking at the featured relics but nothing's really jumping out that strongly.

I already have Excalibur VI though so maybe that's why?

the main prize is the rune-graven bow. hamelin is good too if you don't mind your healer being made of tissue paper.

but otherwise it's a bit lame yeah

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How high do you guys take your breakdowns? I've seen people saying it isn't worth going above R2 for Power Breakdown and 3 for Magic Breakdown just because the latter is relevant more often and you probably won't have a fight go long enough to need more than 4 uses anyway, but I'm not sure. Power orbs are always in constant demand for me so I'd hate to use them if I don't need to. So far I've been fine without them and I'm clearing U+ and U++ pretty consistently, so I guess it isn't needed, but I'm not sure if that changes down the line.

if it's killing the bosses, don't worry about it

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

iPodschun posted:

Just saw this from the JP FFRK twitter:

Is this the first time a timer has been used in a battle?

god i hope it's just a timer that runs game-time from battle start so we have a chance of keeping track of buffs

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Social Psychology posted:

My New Year's resolution was to stop making bad decisions

I think I blew it already

yeah i can think of some other uses for ice and lightning orbs

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm sitting on ~2400 majors right now, after conversion. that's without doing anything special, just clearing events consistently. they give out quite a lot of orbs these days - just the period from dec 19 to jan 4 (orbfest + heir of the dawn (V) event) added over 300. anyone clearing the content would've gotten this many, give or take a few.

what i'm saying is that crazy refresh dude has a lot of orbs, but not that many.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

also i should probably hone some abilities as well. i just haven't really had to. you can get pretty drat far with 4*s plus saint cross.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

yeah don't underestimate the healing from high regen, it's quite a lot

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

on the 5k def bosses we're seeing now i wouldn't be so quick to say that SC is gonna cap

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i've hardly even had fights where i wanted more than 4 charges

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pander posted:

Since FB is harder to stretch than DPS (no BSB commands that refresh it)

i've got two BSB openers that will apply it. either will give 100% uptime, or close enough.

i mean, i still just use ramza instead, but you can totally keep FB up with bursts.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Minfilia's SSB looks like it'd only be situationally useful since I assume it doesn't play nice with Shout, although Last Stand is kinda nice.

well yeah, but the situation is "you have haste from any source" so it's not very picky and you can just do a straight swap between her and ramza since both get Sup 5

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

man that ice dragon U+ CM managed to piss me off. aoe paralyze spam is obnoxious

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

It literally doesn't matter what I bring. I have no paralysis resist accessories.

I also can't just throw mythril continues at this since none of the continue bonuses resist statuses.

I'm also getting total garbage RNG. Last fight I had both Serah and Y'shtola paralyzed after aoe ice. I'm seriously considering skipping this mc3. I've gotten every other one since they started but this one might not be worth the frustration.

edit: Yda is my "Shout" with her SSB. Ramza is breakdowns and Tailwind for party heal. Y'shtola is for Aetherial Pulse and my RW is also Y'shtola for wall.

Everything goes great until he gets under 50% hp and then he does the AoE ground ice, then instantly flies and does AoE ice twice. Anyone who doesn't die gets paralyzed and it's always Serah or Y'shtola.

Also I can't seem do do enough damage fast enough. I was thinking of trying Shout RW and just all my best physical hitters but again I have nothing I can do about random paralysis. At all.

you're not wearing ice resist. you should be wearing ice resist. it really helps.

don't bother with wall, USoI is def-ignore and by far the main threat. expect him to use it almost every turn once he's under 50%

i found mages to be very useful on this fight, alph and papalymo carried me through the CM even though i don't have SBs for either - consider trying it with a Proof of Existence RW. hopefully you can get haste elsewhere

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

exdeath sent us to kill you, oink

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

should've included a ???-diff where they left them death-vulnerable

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hrm, whats the trick for Ultimate + Lone Warrior of Light?

death resist

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MannersPlease posted:

So the PDF shows this upcoming thing called Dungon Update and I was wondering what exactly are the mechanics on that...is that one of those events where realm dungeons cost half stamina for a while? Cause for a fairly new player like me that would be amazing. I'm at 84 stamina now and it's really getting to be a slog of 0-2 shards per dungeon and they cost more than half my pool just to get one.

they just add a few more dungeon stages at the bottom. it's not terribly exciting.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lotta people justifying themselves all of a sudden. if you feel the need to do that, maybe skip the next pouch purchase

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lightning event ults weren't very hard*. Maybe Lightning's physical attacks are all short range and affected by rows but with Wall/Protect/Shell she rarely did more than 1-1.2k to anyone with her hardest hits and I have Y'shtola's BSB so outhealing that level of damage was trivial. When she swapped to magic damage it was even less dangerous due to Vaan's BSB.

i just came back from the u+ cid mission and, uh, let me tell you, without a healing burst 1k AoE damage per turn at 650 speed adds up fast. even with Highwind, going with a shout RW instead of wall was completely out of the question.

healing bursts are an absolutely massive step up in power

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

rk multiplayer and tight timing requirements is a loving terrible combination

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

pichupal posted:

Decided to just solo Apoc Bart and it went a lot easier then I thought without the lag.

yeah i just did the same thing and while he was still an rear end in a top hat i'll easily take it over trying to hit timings in multiplayer

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

(also if you make sure you remove his haste).

just to add on a little here:

in multiplayer, the cast times of U+/Apoc bosses are single-tick so slow and haste are both incredibly powerful and a hasted MP boss will go absolutely nuts.

but in singleplayer it hardly makes a difference at all on fast bosses since they've barely got a turn bar to begin with, it's all ability cast times holding them back. 600 speed gives a 0,5 sec turn timer, 650 gives 0,17.

looking at barthandelus in particular, he is relatively slow at 450 (MP) 500 (SP), so dispelling that haste should be a priority either way

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Richard M Nixon posted:

How rare are they and is it worthwhile to use some/all of what I have to get my party to 80 so that I can do a few more event levels?

not rare at all, we get one just about every week. go nuts

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Wow the multipliers on morbid countdown (4.5/7.5doomed) and reaping scythe (1.05/1.9doomed) are wayyyy different. I shattered scythe the second i realized.

well, uh, yeah, one of them is magic and the other is physical.

wait till you find out full charge only has half the multiplier of firaja

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i just bashed through it and the only X SBs i used was one cast of Wakka's burst and a cast of Slice and Dice (which isn't terribly impressive these days). RW'd shout.

having R2 Power Chain + R3 Full Charge was a good asset. the shared medica staff we got earlier didn't hurt either.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

my favorite is the guys who bring Tyro, with wall and mako might, and then never use the drat thing

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

shoutout to all cecils who repeatedly use rampart to overwrite SG

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if unsure, vote for mistilteinn

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

please don't vote for any SBs i have, tia

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

does RK's fusoya still melt when KO'd? if so that's a big point in his favor

e: eh, 6/10 could be meltier

Prav fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 3, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I just noticed I have a Rosetta Stone in my inventory I don't remember how I got. It augments items, but I'm curious how rare they are or if I should save them for something really great or just slap it on Golbez's Zeromus Shard to make him more magically swole?

I guess I also have 3 Asura Rods I could save up a bunch of gold to combine and reforge and make terrifying also, but since grabbing him the other day Golbez has quickly jumped up to my favorite character and I want to boost my +dark gear.

they're pretty rare, we don't get much more than one per week and you want 20-30 to fully augment a piece of gear. save them for base 5* (or ideally 6*) equipment with a useful +element and good availability (+holy swords f. ex, or that Zeromus Shard since you've got a strong mono-element burst to go with it), so you can have an item that's powerful in all realms.

i've been playing for a year and so far the only item i've fully augmented is Cecil's Excalibur. i've got enough for augmenting one more item, but that's it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i see curaise kill people as often as it saves someone. when a big AoE comes in, it's better to have 7 people at full health than 6 at full and two redlined.

sure you could target it to avoid that, but no one ever does.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

went to unlock White 4 on Quistis and realized I had nearly 1,000 3* motes of every type because I never use them lol whoops

using 3* motes is easy, just get everything for all characters you have an even remotely passable SB for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Dark Bahamut was a bit of a pushover. his low defense meant that i was hitting him for 9k just with Lifesiphon

• Locked thread