Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Post score from the last thread. I think I win.

As good a reason to resub as any I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

That's an uhhh interesting new avatar buddy.

How strange it says I edited that post at 18:20 but I didn't even post it...

Someone else bought it for me. I don't know who. But it's fine

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Did they change any classes' rotations significantly, or will I be able to pretty much pick up where I left off with my muscle memory? I stopped playing shortly after Chapter 10 came out.

What's the grace period on walking through boss doors?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Though honestly Ainsley, you might want to make a new toon - double XP and get some rewards for doing the Dark v. Light event. Leveling is obscenely fast right now.

I have been meaning to level an assassin (and a gunslinger (and a sage))...I suppose this would be the time to do it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

shadok posted:

I love this game, but I thought that PA cartoon was 1) a funny MMO joke, and 2) probably right. That is to say that there are probably some people who tried SWTOR before, didn't like it (fair enough, it's not for everybody), who might be tempted back by the latest very good teaser trailer, and ultimately be disappointed. Because it's still SWTOR.

I don't quite agree; the "spend 100 hours collecting space bear asses" complaint that the cartoon is making fun of is largely gone now, with the changes to leveling. People who come in expecting KOTOR 3 are practically getting it now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Prior to the leveling changes, SWTOR was the story of a person that was extremely angry at kuat drive yards

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And every planet had its own unique commendation, so you started at zero every time you moved. And you didn't get sprint until like level 15 or something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah let me tell you the main reason I don't use (Agent story spoilers) Kaliyo is because on my Operative, second character ever played back at launch, used her exclusively. Then came Corellia and i lost her, so I had to switch to Scorpio since she had second best gear but it was still rough to go through that drat planet with under geared companion. Stuck with Scorpio after that.

YUUUUUUUP

Although that did lead me to the light of using Dr. Lokin, a healing companion who can just use your hand-me-down gear, which is really what I should have been doing the whole time.

Kids these days don't even know

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Now all the taxi points are unlocked automatically so the time traveling is cut dramatically. And with legacy perks, you can make quick travel have zero cooldown so hopping around planets is much easier. :)

You can also gain lots of XP and gear by grinding out heroics which are A) now soloable and B) give you handy-dandy teleporters straight to the quest location when you pick up the quest (from a terminal, which lists them all out so you don't even have to find them in the world anymore). You can bang them out real quick and save time if you just wanted to do class quests and skip the planetaries. Or at least I assume you still can.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Putting in the heroics teleporters was probably what finally got me bothering with heroics more. It's so much nicer to be able to bang out a full go of heroics back to back than have to spend all that time running your rear end around to grab the quest then running back to go turn it in.

For the most part I do the class quests with whatever XP boost rewards I get so I'm usually good levelling so if I do the planetary or exploratory quests it's because I want to rather than I need to with some heroics if I feel I need to get an XP buffer going. Add on the DvL XP armor, the XP boost reward and the double XP going on now, I'm pretty much at level 50 by the time I start Act 2.

I'm not sure if I ever actually even did a heroic before they put the teleporter in and made them soloable. I'd just dismiss them out of hand whenever I picked one up by mistake in the past.

Chickenwalker posted:

They absolutely aren't. We're getting essentially a Telltale Star Wars game with MMO bits in the middle. There are no choices of consequence anywhere. All paths lead to the same conclusion.

Oh, well, sure, that's true. I just meant that it's a star wars RPG where you don't have to talk to other human beings and Revan's in it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

"But I get quicker queue pops when I queue as tank"

"tank pls stop spinning the boss"

"im an assassin im supposed to backstab"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

phosdex posted:

had to rely on other people and you had to socialize.

*shiver*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kippa posted:

Aka the bit where Luke loses his poo poo and goes full badass on Vader. It's such an amazing bit of music.

Oh man, they used that in SWTOR? I love that part of the music, now I feel bad that I play with my own music all the time and I missed it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This isn't really jank, but sort of in the same vein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRBae5a7dk

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

It was mostly trash, a few gold cartel sets but mostly sub 500k items. It was just a ton of stuff.

As far as vetting, we've pretty much always run with "Don't be a dick" for guild bank rules and unlike most MMORPG goon guilds, we've had pretty good luck. It's actually generally been the opposite where people put too much into the guild bank and no one ever uses the XP boosts that we have hundreds of. :).

Maybe someone was just trying to raise money for a crate-o-matic

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

New trailer from KOTET. Valykorian gets me wet, not gonna lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkHg7rqwKFw

This mostly just makes me mad that they didn't make David Hayter the voice of the trooper or smuggler and just let him be solid snake

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's excellent.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Did they change arse merc's rotation at all or will it feel familiar when I get around to re-subbing? I haven't paid attention to changes at all

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Nope, Arsenal is as boring as it ever was. Oh, except now you get a god bubble that reflects damage.

Hmm. Call me when it can reflect damage from doors

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

So it's not the overwatch character doing a cameo? Pity.

I think bioware and blizzard are competitors in some regard but I forget the specifics

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yes...."people"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sassassin posted:

"Darth Andrew"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm playing again for real this time and wow, did they get rid of comms/data crystals entirely? That's...pretty cool actually, I like that a lot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm not quite sure if I'm reading the tooltips right; do I have an infinite amount of level 60/65 character boosts now that KOTET is out and I'm a subscriber, or just one?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't got to level 70 or the end of (or beginning, for that matter) of KOTET yet; is the endgame really that bad, where you need good gear to do even the casual stuff?

Also, is there some reason that in the age of gwent, triple triad, and hearthstone, that we don't have a pazaak minigame yet?

Get your poo poo together bioware

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

It's a 5 year old game on a 325 year old engine. I'm pretty sure what we have is what we're keeping.

This is a slap in the face bioware

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mercenaries have an ability that blows people up, but I can't seem to recall its name...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sleepy hollow tie in event lookin good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you hate all the mystical sith force nonsense, I think you'll love the agent story. Not because it doesn't contain any, but because when it does, it's to show how stupid it is (but in a genuine and surprisingly well-written way).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

Bounty Hunter is probably the Imperial side story with the least mysticism but Agent is, by most accounts, a much better story.

BHs are cooler than Agents though. :colbert:

BH isn't the best story, but from a character perspective it's fun to be able to say to power-tripping Sith Lords "I'm not one of you, just shut up and pay me"

Also, so many punchable nobles on alderaan...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It's been stated but if you want as little Force stuff as possible, don't play any class with Jedi or Sith in its name. Character stories go through the same planets (and therefore mostly the same aesthetics) but class stories are so quick it shouldn't wear on you too badly - spare a thought for those of us who had to do all the planetary quests on every alt as well as class quests just to stay at-level. :v:

You didn't have to...you could always just grind KDY :suicide:

(and KDY was an improvement to the grinding experience if you wanted to DPS)

Medullah posted:

Though you may be mighty enough to defeat most sith lords, you are quickly defeated by Darth Door.

I mean, it was strong enough to defeat the mighty rancor, i'm not going to feel shame about it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm finally picking up this game again and playing through the KOTFE chapters I neglected. I'm playing on my merc, and I'm up to chapter 13 and I'm feeling like maybe I should drop it and go through it as my jugg instead, because it feels like this story was clearly written with force users in mind. There were a bunch of points in chapter 12 where it was literally like "uhhhh valkorian granted you just enough force power to move the plot forward, which would be impossible if you weren't at least a little force sensitive" and it was kind of jarring.

Does that trend continue for non-force users through the rest of the expansion(s) chapters?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nuts. I liked that I could be a rough and tumble gunslinger capable of shooting down space wizards without veering into the typical "you were a force sensitive the whole time, here is your crystal you are a wizard now too" trope.

Writing is hard I guess

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well, force sensitive was a lazy choice of words but yeah, I basically just mean "doing force sensitive things even though you aren't because the plot wasn't really written with your character in mind"

It's ok, juggs are fun to play too. Even if I don't like the new ravage animation :argh:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The phantom menace was a rich and complex film

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll give you that, it is the best pod racing movie I've ever seen

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Huh I was unsubbed for a good 6 months yet still got this. Proud? Not sure..

*reaches for calculator, gets sad, stops*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Still less than I would have spent on buying new games and ignoring them. :)

True! And it's not like I can judge anyway; it hasn't been five years, but I've spent a non-trivial amount of subscription money on this stupid game too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Two different sets there, the Naga Sadow and Jori Daragon sets, with some cheap gaudy dyes. Those are not the most easy sets to get, but they are a lot of fun!

Edit: I was pretty bummed to learn that Master Ranos can't use vibroswords. In a perfect world she would also be using a Cathar Honor Sword in that picture.

I used that Jori daragon set to turn my lightning sorc into Zeus and it rules. I still need to get a lightning tuning for him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh, Galactic Command is just a glorified set of repeatable lootboxes. I somehow got it into my head you'd be making galactic edicts and so on. :saddowns:

I honestly wouldn't mind the gear grind if that were the case. Sitting on a big chair and ruling on random issues or whatever would be fun flavor.

Also on the subject of fluff, I hate how empty the personal starship is in kotfe (and I assume beyond). I get why the companions are gone, obviously, but it'd be cool to have generic officer/crew NPCs walking around and beep booping on consoles.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 14, 2016

• Locked thread