Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody have any invites left? Ubisoft name SpacePrez please and thankyou :pray:

CongoJack posted:

This game is cool as hell, one of the only fighting games I've actually liked. I don't know if 60 bucks (or 100 for the season pass) is worth it though. Guess I have a few days to decide.

I got all three of my keys for PC of anyone wants in.

please! I'll take ps4 or pc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CongoJack posted:

I sent a couple invites out but forgot to ask an important question first

Accepted invite and I'm in the states :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

hows this game play with mouse and keyboard? wanna know if i should just my controller ready before jumping in after the betas done downloading.

Its a 3rd person action game. Those are always better on controller, unless you just hate controllers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lohli posted:

I still have PC invites, uplay is the same as my forum name.

Please please please invite me. SpacePrez on PC OR PS4. I've been trying to play this game since it was first announced, I signed up for the beta instantly, I have no idea how so many have keys and I didn't get an email.

Please hook me up. I've been posting in this thread and no luck still :(

2 people added me as friends but nobody actually sent me the invite yet. Somebody, please :pray:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 27, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

E: Got an email invite! Thanks congajackson.

Dunno why the hell uplay didn't say anything but awesome.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 27, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Randler posted:

I kinda assumed you were taken care of, because you answered to another guy apparently still had codes.

(Oh, and just because there was some confusion earlier. The codes go to your uplay e-mail, so they often land in promotions/spam tabs. Maybe one of the other guys that friended you actually invited you?)

Finally got one. Whew. I even checked my email but apparently gmail filed it away as spam or something, yeah. I figured it'd show up in uplay too and I even checked both.

Downloading this poo poo. Finally. Thanks goons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I saw someone earlier in the thread mention microtransactions -- what are they in this game? How obtrusive?

Seems like there's lots of customization, so that's a pretty common and IMO decent scheme, hats2play like valve. I don't mind if they sell some fancy helmets and crests as long as I have a few free ones to play with.

The question though is are there any power related microtransactions.

quote:

"What we can confirm at this stage is that all items that have a gameplay importance (new Feats, new Gear Items) will be unlockable by just playing the game," a Ubisoft representative tells PCGamesN.

So sounds kinda like TF2 where they might add side-grade weapons or classes in the future, which you can purchase immediately or unlock through play. Or like modern warfare or whatever where you unlock attachments but you can buy some stuff to jump you ahead.

quote:

Any maps or game modes that are added post-launch to forthcoming medieval brawler For Honor will be free to all players, Ubisoft confirm.

See, that's smart. Sell hats, and use the money to subsidize maps. Because selling maps means only a few people play those maps.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 27, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Now that I've gotten to play the game: completely sold.

The combat feels great. Its really slow and weighty, even slower than dark souls has become. You really gotta think through your moves and change up your patterns. Its clearly designed for multiplayer, like somebody said last page, it feels kinda like a fighting game. Really unique and very fun.

The level of customization is insane. Change your helmet, chestpiece, each shoulder, gloves, then change your sword's blade, hilt and grip individually, then apply your choice of paint patterns on each of those pieces you just picked for your armor. Plus every single class can be male or female.

I thought going in that some classes were just dudes and some were just ladies, which is nice, but everybody can be both, so hey that's even better. And there's no boobplate, everybody looks properly armored, even the ladies.

This is the part that worries me. I don't mind microtransactions, honestly, but I do mind if they allow you to purchase actual, tangible in-game benefits. The way this is worded makes it seems like that you can earn "items that have a gameplay importance" by playing the game -- or just straight up buying them. That's not really a TF2 hat situation.
[/quote]

It is because TF2 also has side-grade guns that you can either play for a long time to get to drop, or you can purchase. Its exactly like TF2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, except for the critical "it's a full priced game and not F2P" thing.

Some of the classes are gender-locked btw.

TF2 was not F2P for the majority of its lifecycle dude. It was part of the orange box and not full price, yeah, but this also has a single player mode so :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Some of the classes are gender-locked btw.

That's lame news, but no biggie. Still tons of customization.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

This game needs the mode from Tiger Knight where you have like 5 vs 5 people but only 1v1 fights at a time and you watch other people get dunked on and talk poo poo while its going on.

Blade symphony did the same thing, and yeah I agree it'd be great here. Have like a duel hangout lounge but let people challenge each other 1v1 and everybody can watch or start other 1v1 duels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SweetBro posted:

For the record, those who aren't aware: The AI in this game is REALLY good. 3rd level AI is an amazing dueling partner, the only weird thing I found is that it always gets hit by my plunge attack for some reason.

Yeah I put the AI on level 2 to start with and was surprised that it kicked my rear end for a second. Level 3 is solid practice.

I still don't know half the moves some characters seem to have though.

The vikings charge rush thing is ridiculous OP on viking maps where they can push you into some instant-death pit. Is there a good way to avoid that? Dodge, I guess, but like... man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Its really not that hard to dodge, just remember to dodge to the side and not backwards. All the people with the push you around moves are extra strong in environmental situations, so you have to keep that in mind.

I just wish the big e honda samurai guy was in the beta, instead of pushing you around for his guard break he just straight up gives you a backbreaker.

Also I don't really see the value in the Kensei's unblockable attack, its super obvious and slow, easy to dodge. I know you can cancel it into other gimmicks but a backroll just kinda beats the lot of them. Raider's unblockable is quicker, and a big fuckoff AoE to boot.

Yeah I guess that's it. It just seems like most of the guys I was fighting, side dodging wasn't good enough no matter how I timed it, where back dodging works. But then that makes sense, dodge side for the charge.

Its another 50/50 mixup like a fighting game, like with the 3-way attack/defend stuff. Just need practice probably.

One thing that seems kinda goofy is people can kinda just turn and run away... since you're so slow when locked on and it takes a second to stop and start running... sometimes you can catch them and punish it, but often you're just too slow and then you have to chase after them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Spoon posted:

Just started playing the beta. Is there a way to regain health in this game?

Depends upon your class and abilities, and even then you have to earn enough points each match to unlock each of your skills. But yeah, lots of classes can heal, plus you can hang out at a capture point like Roobanguy said.

The basic knight has both a first passive ability which causes you to heal when you kill mooks, and then his 3rd ability is a self-heal.

You don't get those in smaller games of 1v1 or 2v2 though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

After a full day with the game my biggest impression is that it's just a big "meh". The dueling is pretty good, but that's about where the game's praise ends. And dueling can't hold up a whole $60 title. There is so little content of value here that it's astonishing. I'm feeling bored of the game already. I know that a campaign is coming but let's be quite honest here: who gives a flying gently caress? Also the peer to peer hosting is atrocious. Disconnects are very common in the Dominion mode, especially as any rage quit can trigger them. You will also waste a lot of time failing to join lobbies for any mode.

If you are the kind of person who defends every thread in Games by saying "actually $60 is fine if you're a functional employed adult" while huffing your own farts then sure, go ahead and get the game if it interests you. Anyone who cares about value or even staying interested for more than a single weekend probably shouldn't bother.

:goonsay:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pinbacker posted:

I dueled a pretty good conquerer as a warlord for like two hours today, it was pretty goddamn fun because both of us were using a counter/parry playstyle.
It was pretty much the two of us going back and forth playing mind games because 90% of the regular attacks made were getting punished.

I agree that it seems like there isn't much content, but there really is so much depth to the combat that I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Plus if Rainbow six siege is any indication, there may be more maps, more factions and whatnot coming out in the future.

Yeah same. Once you get the hang of it, 1v1 and 2v2 duels are really deep and fun. It really is like a fighting game complete with animation cancels into different combo strings and all that jazz, but in a fully 3d environment. There... isn't really any other game on the market I can think of like that. The closest thing is something like Power Stone or some of the later Dragon Ball Z games.

And it really sells the feeling of being on the battlefield, fighting amid all the chaos, like you're a star in Braveheart. Dominion is basically Dark Souls DOTA. You kill mooks to level up but you kill players so you can level up faster than them, you gotta work together as a team to fight but also spread out some and cap points, but then even when you have the points you still have to kill the enemy team, it just initiates sudden death. But even after sudden death, you can still rez teammates! I like it.

I'm not expecting any kind of miracles or story from the single player, but it does feature co-op and just having some co-op missions to blast through and practice the game's combat sounds pretty rad to me.

I'm pretty sold, but pre-ordering games is for schmucks. Probably gonna buy at midnight though :)

And even just in the beta there's a good ton of stuff to unlock, and I'm expecting the full game to have some more doohickeys and maps, plus stuff after release. We know there's more classes that aren't here, at the very least.

One thing I want is a mode where each team is all from the same faction. So like, all knights vs all samurai. With letting people pick between the 3-4 classes of that faction, but having each faction match each other and their mooks. That's probably already a mode in the full game just not in the beta, though. And that makes sense, with fewer players in the beta it'd be harder to matchmake if there are faction restrictions.

E: Server issues are a serious pain in the rear end though and they need to get on that poo poo. Its not really acceptable. Plenty of AAA games have shipped in worse state, but it was just as unacceptable then. They have some time to work on it, but not much. (Yes I'm aware its p2p)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 28, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

Nobushi is by far the strongest class in the game. Bleed needs to not kill, just bring people down to 1 hp. It's far too viable to just do a quick attack to bleed, then back off, rinse and repeat. Nobushi is at 0 risk when fighting characters without a quick dashing attack, which is most of them.

Some characters have a passive that grants immunity to bleed, but it seems pretty costly to give up one of your slots just in case you get a bleed. I agree it should stop at 1hp.

tokenbrownguy posted:

The only other game that's scratched the competitive itch which FH so neatly reaches has been Rocket League. If you're the competitive sort, you can binge this game's 1v1 for hours.

4v4 is great too. Its like DOTA.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keegers posted:

Is there a meta for dominion? Like 1 stay home, 2 mid, 1 floater?

Hard to say for sure, but it sounds like you're thinking about it already. Ideally you want to grab A and C and then have all 4 of your dudes fight together at B, because only people fighting at B get a lot of mooks to level up on, and then you can work together to 4v4 or 4v3 or 4v2 your enemy, kill them, and then level up more than them while they're dead. Then if the enemy breaks off to cap A or C again, you send 1 or 2 people off to go stop them.

I imagine a well-coordinated team would play kinda like a DOTA team with calls for people from A and C to sneak back mid and gank players from behind and stuff. Teaming up against enemies is really powerful, in a 2v1 you're almost guaranteed to win. So try to force 2v1 or 3v2 or 4v3 encounters so you can kill your enemy easily, then kill the other remaining player while those players are respawning.

If you're losing though, you want to plant one person on your closest point, A or C, because having somebody stand there gives you +2 points a tick instead of +1. If orange holds B and C and blue holds A but there's a blue player at A and not an orange player at C, then the teams earn the same number of points. +2 and +2. So you can tie the game just by holding a single point and giving them hell. If they push for C, you rush A (and or B).

Another thing is if you're having some people hang at B and others run off to contest or hold A or C, the people at B are going to level faster. So do you let one or two people stay at B, get all their abilities, and become the "carry" ? Or do you rotate out so everybody gets equal XP? I don't know. It'll take lots of experimentation to find the real meta.

Unfortunately a skill-based game beta means you're mostly matched up with people who have never played the game before and can't do poo poo.

STOP WITH THE FRIENDLY FIRE GUYS! I'M ON YOUR TEAM!

Very sick of being just short of finishing off an enemy, when some ally runs in, beats me up and staggers me and interrupts my combo, and then the enemy player turns and runs away. Yeah, thanks for the help buddy!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I agree that a more robust "big battle" mode would go a long way towards bringing up the game's value. Dominion isn't awful or anything... but it's really not great either. It's just there. It feels like it only exists because they felt obligated to have a "big team" mode and not because they actually had any cool ideas they wanted to implement. Unfortunately it's probably impossible for them to implement something that truly feels like a grand battle with just 4v4, because peer to peer hosting is really sketch the higher the player count.

Completely disagree. Different strokes for different folks and all that, but since they fixed the server issues so I can actually get a game of Dominion with players now and not just AIs, I haven't gone back to duels once. Its really good when you get the hang of it.

There's no mooks in 1v1! Killing mooks feels good man :)

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Dominion really needs to incentivize standing and fighting or just punishing retreats

It does, holding a point heals you constantly. The thing is this is a beta for a competitive game and half the players don't even know the melee controls much less how to play dominion properly. They're clueless. Its like playing poker with complete newbies; you can't get any strategy together because people's bets are completely random and nonsensical. You can't read players.

Once the full game is out and there's a much bigger audience to matchmake with, it'll improve. Whenever I get in a round where most of the players are level 20+ its an absolute blast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Corte posted:

I'm having fun but I feel like I'm getting outclassed by higher level better equipped players when dueling. Is there going to be any control over matching players of equal skill, level or equipment? It's not as fun picking a lvl 1 character just to go up against a lvl 11 peacebringer.

Don't let the equipment get to you, its really pretty minor. The game just has pretty deep, complicated combat. Its very close to a fighting game in that regard. Move cancels, combo strings, mixups, etc. If you're not really trying to learn all that, you're going to get rocked regardless of gear level.

Try fighting a level 1, level 2 or level 3 AI. Those shouldn't have any gear whatsoever beyond the defaults, so then you can tell if its just skill or not. Level 3 bots are pretty competent.

Level 11 is nothing dude. You go up to like level 60 and then you prestige and do it 10 times. Level 11 is like, an hour of play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

The game is growing on me

It was incredibly frustrating for the first hour or two as I just failed at everything and had no idea what to do and that loving enemy nobushi kept slicing me apart

But now I'm racking up kills and it feels good. Still, the game needs more gamemodes and wayyyyyyy more maps or else people won't stick around

Yeah, I think there'll be at least one more game mode in the full version, but the whole "more game modes coming in free patches" does sound like they're bracing for not having a ton of content.

The single player / co-op campaign actually looks decent at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6O8XQsoQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7akTdXwfWU

Gunder posted:

This game needs a winner-stays-on Duel mode. Some place you and your friends can take turns dueling each other, with the victor staying on to face the next challenger.

Yeah, it really need a duel arena where you can chill and challenge each other and spectate people like Blade Symphony or a couple other games.

Or at least a winner-stays arcade style 1v1 mode where everybody spectates and takes turns trying to take down the current guy.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Any word on if I should get this for PS4 or PC?

PC is having network problems, I haven't played the PS4 beta but people say its not as bad? That'd be a strong reason to go console.

It is a great looking game though so if your PC is beefy you can really take advantage of the visuals.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Game needs a map that is 10x the size of the current 4v4 maps and then make it a 12vs12 map :getin:

They should also do

*mounted combat
*naval combat and boarding
*wizards

Yeah that's what I really want, huge Dynasty Warriors style maps. I'm actually fine with it being 4v4 with mooks, just have some larger maps. What would be really cool is a progression of like, you siege the outer ramparts, then you siege the main castle walls, then you fight inside the city up to the inner castle or throne room or something.

Mounted combat and naval combat is all super feature creep pipe dreams though. They should just focus on melee.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of modes, one of the ideas that had been floated was also a hardcore mode that disables all UI elements. I figure that would be a pretty fun change of pace to keep things mixed up in the long term.

That's one thing I was thinking about, they don't even try to make you read the attacks, you can see your opponents stance with the UI as soon as they change it, so you have time to block. It would be real interesting to see how it played if you didn't have that. Blocking would be way harder. I guess it depends upon how readable the animations are..

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

The mooks are there to be "immersive." and the ranged attacks you mentioned are basically someone's killstreak ability.

Mooks are not there to be immersive. Mooks are the fastest way to level up and unlock your skills, which are extremely crucial.

Lots of people are knocking dominion with kneejerk reactions who haven't yet figured out all its nuances :v:

And its not at all a killstreak. Killstreaks you earn after fast kills and then consume and have to earn again. This is something you level up and unlock for the rest of the match, with a short cooldown. (the cooldown isn't related to killing mooks anymore)

Its exactly like a MOBA.

DrGreatJob posted:

So... what is the point of the minions? To be incredibly annoying and just in the way?

And why are there ranged attacks that do like 75% of my HP?

I like this game, but man, there are some highly questionable design decisions.

Mooks are how you level up, like in a MOBA. Exactly like a MOBA. There's even lanes like a moba!

E: Those ranged attacks that do 75% of your HP are ultimates you get for leveling up, by killing mooks. Again, like a MOBA. Its a very good design because you have to balance as a team holding points A and C for point value but you wanna hold B for mooks to level up. Getting those ultimates lets you straight up murder the enemy, but the team who gets the points initiates sudden death for the other first. So its a balancing game. Don't judge competitive design based on the headless chickens in a beta.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 29, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This is beautiful.

Also you look like Raiden with that color and armor getup.

Keegers posted:

It's just people who refuse to learn how to counter play styles. The game is pretty balanced nothing it really op.

Yeah. And its made worse by being a beta. When the real game is out there'll be tons of wikis and youtubes with information so the people who aren't very observant can go find out what they've been missing, and then they'll stop complaining about this being OP or some game mode making no sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Perestroika posted:

To be fair, there are times when it's legitimately easier to dispose of a guy one on one instead of having the "help" of a somewhat overeager teammate. Raiders in particular seem very fond of just swinging for the bleachers with wild abandon, hitting their teammates more often than their enemy :v:

Yeah Raiders are definitely my least favorite teammates. Either because that class attracts people who just think straightforward and charge around or because its attacks are more sweeping, they seem to constantly charge in and interrupt my combo and help my opponent get away. Like god drat dude, he was almost dead. I had him.

Its beta though so lots of people are still playing for the first time and haven't even learned that you can interrupt allies with your swings. (I like that it works that way, no friendly fire damage but you do have to make room for each other; but its annoying with noobs :cheeky:)

Megaflare posted:

Interesting. The counterintuitiveness of that is possibly related to the thing where sometimes the Warden will step forward in to his guard break animation and sometimes will just stand there. I can't for the life of me figure out why sometimes he'll close distance and sometimes he won't.

Maybe you're talking about something else, but Warden's bodyslam can be charged for longer distance. But that's not actually warden's guard break. Kensei has the same and you can cancel it, maybe into guard break...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 29, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Are there people that honestly, no joke, believe that when someone says "this game doesn't have enough content" that more maps and a redundant game mode are all that they want?

Just lol.

lol at every bitchy shitpost you make, Chomp

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Prawned posted:

Seeing Zaphod join another thread and poo poo it up with relentless (and thoughtless) fanboyism, wonderful.

Explaining how dominion works to people too dumb to understand MOBA mechanics isn't fanboyism. I complained about the networking problems same as everybody. Chomp's just here to bitch like always, dunno why he doesn't go play something he likes instead.

Prawned posted:

This is a depressing thought, but I'm hoping that they'll take the lessons they learnt from siege and copy-paste right from the start.

Given the network problems though I wouldn't hold your breath. We'll be lucky if the network issues from beta are fixed by launch. Even if they start to scramble to copy Siege's anti-cheat from launch, it'll take them a couple months to test it fully and deploy it.

I'm having enough fun with this game so I don't mind riding it out for some patches, especially with a co-op campaign I can blast through. Cheaters don't matter for that, or for doing 1v1 duels with friends. But I wouldn't expect it to be altered significantly from beta next week.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CountingWizard posted:

I don't understand why this fighting system wasn't used for some sort of musou game or roaming armies mount and blade style game. Instead we get boring "matches". Not that there is anything wrong with 1v1; it is perfect for honing technique.

4v4 gives youa bit of the feel of musou, with the mooks and running between capture points. But yeah I agree if the maps were much much bigger it'd be waaaay cooler. The answer is probably technical limitations with the engine they're using, although with dynasty warriors style games you also run into a design problem...

Dynasty warriors is pretty much always 1 player or 2-player co-op on the same team. Running around for hours fighting mooks not running into another player wouldn't work very well.

They'd have to do something like musou online and probably just didn't want to put in the budget for all that infrastructure. Which is sad but those kinda games are crazy risky.

We can just hope that the patches add some bigger modes.

slap me and kiss me posted:

4v4 is pretty fun if you do have eight people doing individual 4 individual combats, and then reducing from there, like some sort of ornate elimination bracket.

This should really be an actual game mode, also a "sparring hangout" mode like we were discussing before where you can just challenge people to fights.

The practice mode is almost there, just make practice mode multiplayer and it'd be pretty sweet for duels as a party.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pyraen posted:

Thank you. I can't look up info on my own. It's too hard :saddowns:
Hoping it will be a great & infuriating game like Overwatch 3v3. If I'm not screaming at my friends, what's the point?

If that's what you want I think the 4v4 for honor has it in spades. If you get into a 2v1 fight you're in a really rough spot (Imagine 2v1 street fighter or tekken) so teammates really need to be aware and work together when multiple enemies show up. Similarly good teamwork pays off really well if your friends are co-ordinating with you.

Plus its got deep combat, so having people perfectly block your moves and destroy you with all kinds of fakeout cancels can be infuriating, just as mastering the same and using them on people who haven't yet feels rewarding. :black101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

2v1 is manageable if you keep calm, block well and use the revenge mechanic wisely, and it's very fun and satisfying to displatch 2 attackers, 3 or more i can imagine is not going to end well

What if they're on either side of you though? I guess run or something, but then they can kinda back you into a corner..

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keegers posted:

Cheating isn't even that rampant in PC games with good antihacker systems. Like CSGO with their prime matchmaking.

CSGO takes a lot of steps to cut down on hacking, but its an ever present threat and problem. They have a whole program for letting reputable users review other gamers' game footage to determine if they've been cheating, and even at the highest level of pro play you get accusations of cheating and clear evidence of aim botting. So... yeah... about that.

Gunder posted:

People seem to be massively overestimating the likelihood that they will encounter cheaters. In my many years of playing online PC games, I think I've encountered cheats about 20-25 times MAX. Even if there is day one obvious cheating going on, it'll still be in a small minority of games, and you're probably pretty unlikely to see it very often. If you don't care what platform you get this on, then you are probably even less likely to play against cheaters on a console, but even on PC, I wouldn't let that factor into my decision making.

Yeah I really don't care. I ran into a few cheaters in GTA Online, you just hop to another server. (Or maybe they give you free money lol)

This game is fun enough just as a co-op vs bots game, where I can play with my friends, if cheating is a big issue on random matches.

And I'm pretty sure you still get loot drops and contribute to the war effort / territory mode thing even when playing vs AI.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Perestroika posted:

So, just looking at the silhouettes of that promo image, apparently one of the new heroes will be some kind of ninja-person with sickles, and some sort of roman centurion guy. I'm down with that.

Yep, Samurai with Kusari and some kinda Roman guy with a Gladius, prooobably with a big roman tower shield too.

I wonder if Roman guy is Viking? Knight?

panda clue posted:

Offering up a 3 day open beta leading up to release is a wonderful sign for any game. Really proves the studio is proud of what they've put together and are confident in it as long as people give it a try. That, coupled with the post-release schedule trailer, really has me hyped up for the future of this game.

same

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Minor question, does anyone know if the season pass 30 day exp boost is something that is likely to start automatically or can you choose when to start it? was there something similar in R6 siege or something

Hard to say, but you can buy more days of exp boost with in-game currency later if you want, at the very least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PureRok posted:

I feel in the minority for some reason that I'm going to be probably playing Warden or Conqueror exclusively. Maybe some Valkyrie if I'm feeling frisky.

I mean, I'd be only the Conqueror (love flails and maces) if the Warden didn't look so cool. And Valkyrie because spears are cool and are underrepresented in video games.

Basically, if I could play a Warden with a flail/mace that'd be my dream hero.

I think I'm going to play Warden pretty exclusively. This game really rewards picking one and sticking with it, like a fighting game, and you level up each class individually, so we may actually see a lot of players settle into a single class or a couple classes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I kind of look forward to the singleplayer as well. I like their presentation of some crazy warlady trying to just start wars everywhere because gently caress IT, WHY NOT. STRONG WILL SURVIVE. It's very warhammery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDY3wrX1xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fukpFfz27o

Yeah I always wrote off the single player as "cool to have but probably kinda poo poo" but the more videos I see of it the more it seems like a decent way to play in its own right.

Especially since it supports co-op, co-op with a buddy is always fun. Even a poo poo game with co-op becomes a pretty fun time if you're laughing about it with a buddy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

Oh, is there another currency I'm not aware of? I remember buying an experience boost emblem thing and a new execute with it, so it gives whatever those require.

Steel is used to unlock things and is only either purchased with real world money or earned through activities, most of which are limited on how much you can earn per day. (That said, seems like a good amount. If its balanced like beta you can earn a few hundred steel every day doing little pvp activities, that should add up pretty fast) And is shared across your account.

Salvage is from breaking down armor and is used for very little. And its individual for Knights, Samurai and Vikings.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Prawned posted:

Man they really appear to have phoned-in any attempt at a story (no surprise) for the single-player. Hopefully the campaign is fun to play just for the sake of it, but really why bother make a single-player if you're not gonna have a decent go at it?

Huh? Videos I've seen of the campaign look surprisingly decent. Its not gonna be the next Witcher, but it looks perfectly decent compared to any Gears of War or Call of Duty campaign, I mean poo poo.

I had written it off but from what I've seen on youtube lately it'll be as good as any other generic mainstream game campaign. There are characters with backstories trying to win the day :v: Its not an RPG.

Chomp8645 posted:

I would infinitely prefer some kind of free roam/adventure type deal for SP content instead of a scripted campaign, even if it was very simple.

But alas.

That would require re-writing the game engine completely. No way is that even possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PureRok posted:

I don't care what color your skin is as long as DEUS VULT.

GOTT MIT UNS

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just get the Standard version since maps and modes are free for everybody and other stuff seems to be unlockable without insane amounts of in-game grinding.

AndyElusive posted:

Just get the standard edition and punk all those deluxe and gold bitches with your superior swordsmanship and skill.

They can't use their Special Execution Sunbeam Effect with their heads cut off.

^^^^^^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

New characters/maps seem like a thing they're gonna make you pay cash dollars for, hence the season pass

They already promised you don't have to pay jack poo poo for maps or modes so no you will not. They want everybody playing new maps. Charging for them keeps that from happening. The game industry has been moving away from map packs for awhile. They replaced them with cosmetic purchases. It works better for everybody.

And characters I'm pretty positive we've already said can be earned in-game. So no. The only question is how long it'll take to earn a character. And it doesn't seem long.

So this is all wrong dude. If you actually read interviews with the devs, no. That's not the case. Which is what I was saying already.

The season pass gives you like a week early access to new characters, and gets you them for free and gets you cosmetics. That's what its for. But they can be earned in game by everybody for free so its not really worth it.

Zzulu posted:

This needs to be a customization option. It is historically accurate after all

The new Conan game has a dong slider ;)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 5, 2017