Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Exmond posted:

Can you parry light attacks?

You can parry every attack, fam. It's always funny when you parry someone's unblockable attack and they start moaning about how broken your character is and how the game is bugged. When that happens, I just say "yeah it's fun to exploit that bug" to make them even angrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there such a thing as MMR in this game? Cause most of the time, 2v2 puts me up against people who get dominated. 60% of my matches are now purely made up of bots because people rage quit after a round or two.

I WISH Ubi would add a drat suspension penalty for ragequitters, it's honestly bullshit. You end up being forced to fight against a dummy bot even though it's no fun. Suspend players from rejoining an online match for 15 minutes or something if they ragequit.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Aye, Prestige is nothing. You can get it if you just grind out enough games. I've met plenty of Prestige 2 classes who suck at the basics like parrying and feinting.

Also, matchmaking is sorta broken: most of the time I'm up against people who have no chance. It's rare that I'm up against an enemy at the same or better skill. Makes fighting not so fun when it's just ez combo and they can't even land a hit on you. Especially when they can't even tech a guard break.

punch drunk posted:

Can you guard break Shugokis run? What do I do when they run to a choke like a bridge?

Don't bother trying. The chances of you pulling it off are slim. I'm not even sure it's possible, and the guy who said it's happened to him probably got to the end of his run and was available to get grabbed. Unblockable charges aren't grab breakable, I don't believe.

My best advice would be not to fight Shugoki in tight places that have cliffs / ledges nearby. If he charges and misses, his hitbox still pushes you over and can knock you off the edge. I've seen it happen so much on that map with the bridge that has big gaping holes in the floor. He also has that bull-rush run that can knock you off the edge even if it doesn't connect. So yeah, if you're up against Shugoki, fight him in an open place that gives you plenty of room to dodge to the side and out of the way.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 17, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really respect an opponent who is majorly outclassed by me, but insists on trying to learn instead of just bitching. If I unleash a killer combo that basically leaves them dead before they can land a hit on me (because I parry their hits and then hammer them with another fast combo), it makes me so happy when the person I just whomped asks me for tips to avoid that happening. I'll happily rematch them and tone down my tryhard attitude to help them realise it's not about a class being OP or unbeatable. It's about using combos you know work well, and assessing what your enemy does so you can counteract it with a different set of combos.

If I notice an enemy is super bad at teching guard breaks, I'll add guard breaking into my combos. If I notice a guy is awesome at teching guard breaks, I'll only guard break when I know it's guaranteed to land (like after a parry or if they dodge I'll grab them quick). If they're a parrying king, I'll throw feints into the mix to leave them open to a few light attacks or a grab. It's a really chill feeling when you get to pass that knowledge onto another person and see them flourish in just a few rounds.

If - however - my opponent immediately goes into a bitching tirade after I parry his unblockable by claiming I'm using bugs or the game is broken, it'll just fuel my desire to smash his face in and not give him any leeway.

I personally think a lot of high level players would queue up in a "Coach" matchmaking system. At the end of the day, I'd be happier coming across tougher opponents. It would help me personally grow my own skill. It's not fun when you're just constantly joining matches that are curbstomps. I learn nothing, the act of owning them becomes stale. If anything, it leads to toxic behaviour because that's the only satisfaction you can gain from hammering them to death. Some days I feel like teaching, some days I feel like learning. If that Coach option was there, I'd regularly queue up for a few rounds just to help a lil babby out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I dunno if my controller is borked or what, but a lot of my inputs are delayed like gently caress. I don't think it's a network problem, cause my speedtest results were good. God drat though is it frustrating. I'll dodge forward and attempt to attack, but nothing goes through, so my flow gets all hosed up and my brain takes a second to catch up.

It's super frustrating and doesn't happen on the one-off, either. It was happening consistently. If I dodged sideways and tried to light attack, nothing would register, I'd just dodge and that's it. I dunno what else it's affecting, that's all that really glared at me. I noticed I wouldn't move forward quickly when performing overhead light attacks. In the past, I'd shuffle forward quick with the attack to punish enemies, but now I 90% of the time just swing stupidly at air.

Anyone else had this problem before? It caused me to quit playing, cause I was playing awfully. Was trying to learn Peacemaker and Valkyrie, and I thought I was just bad at them, but then when I hopped onto my main, I was getting curbstomped cause of it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 18, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RIP, my right bumper is faulty. So I'm screwed. There's literally nothing else I can rebind light attack to.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

super macho dude posted:

Parrying seems frustratingly hit or miss with me. Do you hit Parry the instant the attack notifier starts FLASHING or the first time you see the notifier?

I don't go off by the indicators. Seems dumb to tunnel vision yourself like that. I just go by sound cues or visual cues. It makes for a much more fluid feeling. It also allows me to get parries off in 2v1 because I'm looking at my enemies and not for a tiny hard to miss red flashy icon.

So yeah, what I did to learn parries was go up against a class I wasn't good at parrying, and then just spend a few rounds getting the timing of the parry right. Then in the future, it'd slow sink in what sound or animation I need to parry at to get it off without a hitch.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Alkydere posted:

About the only "Pay 2 win" thing I saw was that you can pay steel to unlock all of a class's feats from the start. Complete with an "unlock all" button in the Store.

But that's less "pay to get something unique" and more "pay to unlock something without grinding". Probably something I'll see normal people do with their normal steel after a while anyways when they switch to a new character.

The great thing is it definitely doesn't make it pay to win. Even if they unlock feats or buy a poo poo tonne of steel to get crates (if that's even possible), at the end of the day it boils down to player skill which you can't buy, and everything you can buy, you can grind. Gear stats really don't make a huge difference in 4v4 either.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So hype for getting a new controller. It's gonna be so loving nice to finally be able to dodge attack again. It wasn't just affecting that either, now that I think about it. My feints were awful because I'd feint then just stand there.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Peacekeepers are way overpowered, need a nerf badly.

No one's overpowered. No one needs a nerf. Scrubs would want every class in the game to have basic attacks that are easy as gently caress to parry because you don't dedicate the time to get good at whatever class you play and learn to punish classes you find difficult.

I'm glad Ubi ignores the general outcry and instead patches poo poo that is actually overpowered, like the guard break poo poo where if theirs lands a split second before yours does, you're staggered and can't break out of it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pinbacker posted:

I think Warden does need a small nerf on the shoulder charge, it's too safe a move right now.

Skillful Warden players scare me as Orochi. Their fast swing attack always hits me because it's too quick for me to react to as I don't have permanent guard. Their shoulder charge combos are also very hard to dodge out the way off since it starts up so quickly. One day though I'll get to the point where they no longer scare me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Orochi can deal with the warden charge really easily. Always do a side dodge attack. If they let the charge go, you'll avoid it and hit them. if they cancel the charge into a GB you'll avoid it and hit them because you can't GB someone who's attacking.

Yeah that's my main method to tackle it. It's just when they pull it off so close to me that it often catches me off guard, cause I'm hypervigilante waiting for that instantly quick side swipe attack or overhead attack.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

My dude its cool that you like the game but you are dead wrong. There's a reason why the higher level of play consists of mostly Peacekeepers, Wardens, and Orochi. Their kits are just plain superior.

Everyone seems to forget there is a 4v4 mode, in which the other classes excel at. No poo poo Assassin classes are gonna dominate 1v1 / 2v2 matches? The point of the game is to have each class excel at what they do. Assassins are sure as hell gonna excel at... assassinating the poo poo out of people. Other classes manage outside of 4v4. I still stand by what I say, Orochi / Warden / Peacekeeper may be the preferred choice for high level play, but other classes can stand their own as well. You just gotta be hella good at what you do.

As an aside, no matter how hard I get poo poo on, I never ragequit a game. The only time I ragequit is if it matches me with someone I just fought who was an utter oval office. But even then, that's rare. I usually stick it out to try and whomp their face in for sweet revenge. Ragequitters are dickheads, and the fact they leave and force some other poor bugger to fight against a boring bot is just bad form.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 18, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

4v4s are a literal joke and if 4v4 is a consideration in class balance it will fail.

4v4 is awesome if you do it with a friend (just one, or more, I've only ever played with another friend). You can work together and run around owning poo poo. The main problem with 4v4 are the mechanics aren't that easy to grasp. Once you know what you're meant to do, life becomes much easier and it's a hella fun mode. I don't play it often as the matches drag on too long.

Main thing with 4v4 is "don't be scared to run and regroup or fight someone you're more comfortable with". As long as you running doesn't leave your teammate in an unwelcome gangbang, do it. Sometimes I'll be up against a guy I know will kick my rear end, so instead I just back off and try and help a teammate, or go near to where my teammate is fighting and do my best to stall the enemy until he kills his opponent and helps me out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I am really, really, really liking Valkyrie. I suck so much with her, yet I can see the potential. She's really good at juggling moves, she has a lot of utility, her shield bash is fantastic for baiting enemies. I love her. It's so refreshing playing her instead of Orochi, cause Orochi has none of the same defensive moves she has. I've noticed her sideways attacks land a lot more regularly than Orochi's do, and I'm not sure why. It might be cause people don't know her moveset, or it could be cause she's so fuckin quick.

I'ma keep playing her to build up skill. I think she might be my 2nd prestige class. Kensei is definitely going to be my 3rd.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any tips for grab spamming Shugoki? I'm playing as Valk and a lot of her moves chain well with dodge attacks, but grabs supercede dodges (which is bad imo). So I'm stuck doing the same lovely attack patterns cause I can't risk dodging cause all he does is spam grab and if I initiate with a dodge attack, his superarmour allows him to grab me right out of it where I can't counter it.

Also, any idea if Ubisoft will make guard breaks counterable after a dodge?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I think a fair compromise would be to make them parryable but not blockable.

How... do you parry a guard break?

Edit: I finally got what you meant. That's what I wrote. If after a dodge you can atleast cancel out of a guard break attempt. Making dodge provide invulnerability against guard break would be too OP, but the way it is now where dodging can get you insta-grabbed is a bit too punishing.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 19, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Playing as any hero that can dodge into light attack attack, just throw the attack if you know he's spamming the gb and that way it won't land. Alternatively, dodge less and get better at teching guard breaks. It really is immensely easy even if a vocal minority of the playerbase thinks that it isn't.

I can tech guard breaks easily. But the fact is if you dodge, whether you attack or not, if someone grabs you whilst you're dodging, it instantly goes through and you can't tech out of it. I noticed sometimes if I dodge and attack, their grab gets cancelled, but it depends how quick they are. Which is why I really think Ubisoft should at least make it so if you dodge and get grabbed, you can still have that small window to tech out of it.

Zzulu posted:

Did they buff the valkyrie yet?

Why does she need a buff? I'm playing as her right now at level 8 and she seems fine to me. She doesn't need a buff. Her shield slam, spear swipe combo are fantastic. Giving her a buff would be retarded.

Playing as a class and sucking at them isn't automatic grounds for them to get a buff.

7c Nickel posted:

Here's something that might interest you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgXooUkTjg8

This seems to be the longest combo in the game right now.

That's awesome. I've been using that combo myself a lot lately, it's really good, but they can dodge out the way of the spear swipe if they're quick enough. I force myself not to spam shield charge cause I've come against conquerors and wardens who just spam it and it's lame. I prefer mixing it up so I am actually good at the class I play, instead of being a one trick pony.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You're honestly being insanely predictable if they can can grab you before the attack starts every time. Switch up your strategy. Making more actions totally safe is not the answer.

I guess so. For a majority of players, it's usually not an issue. It's only an issue when you come against a Shugoki who has a combo that consists entirely of "grab opponent, homerun them with kanabo, rinse and repeat". So they pretty much stand there waiting for any opportunity to grab. It forces me to cheese them if they can parry, cause using feints against a Shugoki is bad since they have superarmour and can punish you easily.

signalnoise posted:

Oh, I see what you mean. Personally I would make it so you cannot counter a guard break if you "dodge" forward or back (assuming you are in range) but you can't grab someone out of a side dodge, or at least make side dodges guard break cancellable. That poo poo is infuriating.

100% agree. Dodging into or away from an enemy should keep guard break as it is. But side dodges should at least give you the chance to tech it. Making it so someone can't grab you from a side dodge would be horrible since they'd be totally vulnerable to your attack, it should stay as it is but give us the chance to tech it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zebrasectomy posted:

I picked this up last night, watched some tutorial s while it downloaded and ended up going with the peacekeeper. I won my first four matches (all against orochies) and got some angry messages about playing an OP class.

Should I feel bad about playing Peacekeeper? I'm not up to date on the meta except that my guard break used to be a death sentence and got nerfed?

Play whatever class you enjoy playing the most and gently caress what others say. PK isn't OP, and it's a bit rich hearing that from Orochi players seeing as everyone collectively thinks they're too OP. Glad you got the game, man, hope it is as fun for you as it is for the rest of us.

Also, regarding the Valk buff, my bad. Now that you all put it that way, I can kinda see why she needs a buff. It does take a hell of a long time to kill someone as Valk.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Well they said they were going to buff her, I'm wondering if those changes went live

Yeah my bad, I spoke without knowing any of the poo poo I was talking about.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

explosivo posted:

Whoever suggested doing a custom AI duel against Orichi with 10 minute rounds and no damage is a saint. Once you can reliably stop their ability to do the running slash on demand that fucks with a lot of people's games. Doing it over and over again really reinforces that muscle memory.

Take care, though. A good Orochi doesn't initiate with that move. They'll dodge back and do it to punish you when you attack. I've done that loads and it leads to really easy combos cause you catch them off guard when you dodge back out the way of their swing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone who mains a Warden got any tips against high level play Wardens? I play Orochi, and god drat they're fast. Especially if they throw feints in. I gotta keep a constant look out for the really quick swipe attack you do, and their overheads are really fast too but manageable. The problem comes when the enemy feints and then leads straight into the overhead and / or the swipe. It's literally impossible for me to react fast enough as Orochi. If their defense is on point, none of my attacks land, and attempting to feint just gets me hit with the overhead strike. I couldn't parry, no matter how hard I tried, cause their moves land too quick.

So yeah, I wanna be able to stomp on Wardens, cause right now every time I see one I poo poo myself. Advice would be appreciated. Any weaknesses I can exploit etc. etc.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Floppychop posted:

This is kind of funny because I main warden and Orochi give me fits. By far my least favorite matchup.

Maybe others are seeing something we're not (either one way or the other)

I dunno fam, if you parry my attacks I'm pretty useless. Even when I tried to feint the opponent out, it was really hard to do cause his defense was loving insaaaaane.

I also am quite rear end with feinting. Like I dunno what combos to lead into right after a feint.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Floppychop posted:

Seems like most of the time when I parry an Orochi they end up outside my light attack range. Then if I try a heavy they recover quick enough to deflect it.

Overhead heavies are slow as gently caress, it's better to hit with a side heavy after a parry, as they land quicker.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

I don't think deflect works on unblockables. So don't do that against a Kensei or the fatty.

Orochi here, I wish you could have all witnessed the splendour of me attempting to deflect an unblockable. I ate that axe so loving hard. You can't deflect unblockables, unfortunately. Parry them instead. Or dodge backwards out of range.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Everytime Warden does that bash move, all I hear is "Miserlou!" and think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnFqpAtRT0

Qubee
May 31, 2013

We had a cheeky opponent Lawmaker who kept wrecking our 1v1s, but I found it funny cause he did them in silly ways. My Warden teammate got annoyed, so last round, he cheesed it completely by doing the nonstop shoulder bash swirl of death.

Post-game, I said "Welcome to the Warden vortex train" and he replied "Next stop: never". 10/10 reply

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

The text-chat really makes this one but unrelated I wish more classes had emotes you could cancel for stuff like that, most just look broken but with the conqueror it's just gold.
Especially if you add the fire-effect from the elite-skin.

Honestly the tackiest skin and I have no idea what the gently caress Ubi was thinking when they decided to add it to the game. It's ridiculous.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

"Losing the game is fine, losing your honor isn't" - quote from some absolute autist in 4v4 on our team.

I'd be getting gangbanged 2v1 and he just stands there. Or I'd be in a 1v1 against the last dude and all 3 of my teammates just stand and watch cause "muh honur" despite the fact the enemy team doesn't give a poo poo. Funny thing is the last guy won cause he was a Warden and juked everyone.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

4v4 gives me an aneurysm, it makes me so salty. Like my team always consists of the honor-spewing Mormons. I hate that 80% of contracts are to do with 4v4 though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

There is no penalty for leaving. Don't play with those people.

I'm no bitch. I hate when people do it to me, why would I subject others to it? The height of hypocrisy would be to bitch about how much I hate them and how they ruin the experience, then go and do it myself.

This is why Ubi needs to sort this poo poo. If I wanted to play against or with bots, I'd go Player vs AI. It's a heap of poo poo. We get punished cause someone else is too big a baby to play the game win or lose.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zzulu posted:

I kind of wish the AI in the AI modes was a bit better. Sometimes they can be kind of dangerous but most of the time they are crap and you can always defeat them easily by tossing them into a ravine

Yeah, abusing the AI with nonstop guard breaks is so easy to do. When I'm up against an AI, it's what I resort to.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

titties posted:

I kind of like to do this. I don't mind giving the guy a shot but it is less about being honoruburu and more about wanting to watch them fight.

There's no point in doing that in 4v4. 2v2 is more understandable. I just hate the gamemode though so I suppose I just want it over as fast as possible, win or lose.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zzulu posted:

pray that he is bad and not good

if he is good, there is nothing you can do

You and me both, brother. Every time I get matched against one in 4v4, I think "poo poo" cause if he's good, it'll take me ages to kill him and he'll most likely get backup. If he's bad, I thank Jesus for dying for my sins. Legit so little you can do against them, even feinting isn't that good because their overhead fast attack hits before you can cancel + light attack them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For real, Warden is the one champion that can beat me consistently. It's that really fast side swipe attack he does that's a total bitch to block as an Assassin, since we don't have permanent block. The overhead fast attack is a bitch too. Don't even get me started on the pizza cabo spam they're fond of. So as Assassin, I'm stumped, cause I can either keep guarding for the side swipe and leave myself open to the overhead, or vice versa.

I hate fighting Wardens with a passion.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

I just found out that Crushing Counter (Warden top light) isn't actually a parry. It's a top light attack with superior block that's so fast it usually interrupts whatever it's "countering." Functionally it's pretty close to parry, but are there unblockable attacks that are fast enough to interrupt it? Most unblockables are so slow. Or am I way off base with how it works?

I wish I could test it because it seems like Shugoki's charged top heavy unblockable would still hit as long as Shug has superarmor.

I've managed to get hits on him with Orochi's zone attack, but it's not enough to interrupt him. My memory might be tricking me, but I may have gotten one or two interrupts against his top light, though that could be cause we both initiated at the same time and mine hit just before his super armour clocked on.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Shockeh posted:

Incidentally, I said that knowing almost certainly we won't get it - It'd mean re-engineering the world map architecture, which they won't be arsed to do when comparatively it's 'easy' to add a 5th class to each of the existing factions.

E: Re-post - So, what's the best guaranteed follow-up to a Shugoki Parry?

Why would they have to remap everything? It'd be easy adding another zone off to the side.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Exmond posted:

A three way is much better to balance than a four way for the map. Otherwise you get weird 2 on 1 things happening on the faction map

Ah, I see what you mean. 3 factions works cause each has their borders connection at all times, but with a 4th in the mix, it wouldn't work.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat, can't wait for that Roman soldier to unlock. I'll play the poo poo out of him just cause I'm in love with everything Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The plan is 2 heroes every 3 months, so those 2 are likely the first two, and they've likely already started work on them.

That said, could take a month of work before they're ready and then they could release the other two one month apart and still make that schedule. And it looks like the ninja guy is first, so it could be 2 months before we get the legionnaire.

But yeah I can't wait to go all Titus Pullo :hist101:

Nah, they're following the Rainbow Six way of doing things, so all heroes will be released in pairs. So hopefully we get to enjoy both at the same time.

I don't even care if the Legionnaire sucks, I'ma still play him just to veni, vidi, vici the poo poo out of people.

Also, everyone saying Valk is trash, you're 100% right. I played her in 4v4 for the Elimation Hybrid contracts. Her god drat overhead heavy doesn't even take a single bar of health off of PK. That poo poo is ridiculous.