Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I lol'd when I was reading some guide on reditt and came across the planning threads for the faction war. It included people trying to spy on offsite forums where other factions were alleged to be planning.

Who gives two shits about the faction war???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

FunkMonkey posted:

For LB, it's not even possible to escape in the open, you're just straight hosed because you can't recover fast enough to react in time.

Edit: unless it's the guard break cancel, which you can counter normally.

Does LB not roll as far as the other characters?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Are there any decent videos for learning poo poo? As in not 'HEY GUYS WHAT'S UP HOW Y'ALL DOING NEW VIDEO HERE TALKING ABOUT SOME SWEET STRATS I'M A JACKASS YOUTUBER' videos. I tried finding some and now I want to rip my ears off.

This guy is covered a bunch (all?) the heroes with little videos with a higher level player of that particular class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3ZFSeULXY

edit: it looks like the forums don't like linking to youtube playlists, so I linked to one individual videos in this series.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

zeldadude posted:

Does everyone else get a crazy amount of Wow! spam when playing valk? Every time I chain stun someone they spam the poo poo out of it until the end of the match. Like, don't you know that's what Valkyrie does?

I imagine on PC they'd be typing up a storm of salt but on PS4 all they can do is spam wow!

Not a lot of valk players around that are very good at working her combos so I imagine they are quite WOW!'d when they just get owned without knowing what to do.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ambi posted:

Alright what the gently caress voodoo houdoon arcane magic bullshit do you have to do to make this game not take a raging shitfit in Skirmish and Dominion? I've been trying to complete today's Skirmish orders but so far three games in a row have kicked me out due to FPS dropping below 30.

I've set all Graphics option to low, updated my drivers, upped the priority of For Honor in properties, closed down all other programs, and still at some point (usually whenever I'm getting pummeled by 2-3 dudes at once, and especially it seems if I pop Revenge or there is a fire nearby) the game will suddenly chug like molasses and boot me from the match.

Maybe it's the games way of warning me away from the garbage fire modes, but I have no goddamn idea what is causing this, and everything else runs fine - I get 40-45 FPS minimum on the benchmark, and every other game installed (inc. MMOs) runs a good 50-60 FPS on high settings except this steaming PoS. i5-4460 CPU, GTX 970 GPU, 16GB RAM, what can I do to unfuck this thing and actually play Dominion or Skirmish?

Some games are insane and I've seen For Honor in particular run better on HIGHER settings on a friends PC compared to when he ran it on low. I see you have an NVIDIA card, have you tried going into the NVIDIA experience application (the interface that runs shadowplay and poo poo) and let it choose the 'optiomized' settings it thinks it should set? I would do that and then turn off any anti aliasing.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 18, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out how to time my guard break counter outside of the lovely training mission. Am I missing something that might help me (besides the split second indicator) or am I just trash and should die more practicing?

I don't think the training covers it but you must counter GB as they make physical touch to you, not right as you see the red icon appear on your opponent.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
UhhRrrrrRsrrgghjffh <-- my thoughts when playing against a PK in 1v1 who knows his poo poo.

Vs PK is about the only matchup I can't reliably win with my warden. My stupid idiot brain can't deal with the light attack mixup plus the heavy into light feints. If the PK sticks to lights, heavy into light feints and gb I have a hard time generating an opening because I can't parry anything. Maybe I'll just stick to conq vs PK...

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Loopoo posted:

Shugoki manages to dodge my stuff as Valk just fine. Even though he doesn't move very far, it's still far enough to get out the way of the spear sweep. Can't accurately say whether it's far enough to dodge my shield slam, but I'm pretty sure it is.

I have a hard time dodging the sweep with my lovely warden shuffle 'dodge'.

Do you have to dodge into it? Or backwards?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I really hope they get some ancient Chinese dudes in eventually. Playing that tiger knight game introduced me to all sorts of zany rear end weapons and armor (no idea if it is real, probably no 3 headed halberds)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mambo No. 5 posted:

This is going to sound weird, but has anyone else seen this happen? I was playing as Warlord against a Conq in elimination and I got what I think is the first frame or two of a confirmed hit then it would get blocked. When the block animation would start, the Conq's life bar would refund the damage I did. I even had the Conq dead, the black box popped up for the execute options then it disappeared, refunded the health, and he hit his revenge (gear score OP). This is so weird and the only reason it was frustrating was because we were having such a good fight. We must be right around the same skill level.

As an aside, I noticed there's three ways to report someone but no way to give them a positive feedback thing.

I've seen the opposite thing happen on PS4. Looks like it was blocked for a few frames, split second, but then damage goes through. It even made the little block effect graphic and sound. Happened all through a duel with someone including once where he appeared to block it then died. I figured it was lovely lag or big time packet loss or something.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Peacekeeper has been banned from all MLG Tournaments after dominating every single quarterfinal and above for weeks.

LOL

Are these tournaments are usually played on PC or console?

I know most of the streamers are on pc but I dunno if that is the 'pro scene' too. I actually find it easier to beat PK on PS4 than on pc but I think it's because PS4 players are shittier.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Amazon's got a sale on a physical copy of this for $35 right now and it definitely looks worth the buy. Any reason why it wouldn't be? I think I may be about to get it.

There are some frustrating disconnect bugs for sure, mainly on PC (I play it also on PS4 and have experienced almost no disconnects on that platform).

Also if you are the type of person who loses and wonders "why did I lose, hmm" you will enjoy the game. If you are the type of person who flips out and rages I would recommend purchasing an extra controller right away.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 9, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'd be playing on PS4 and I really enjoy games like Bloodborne and Nioh where losing is part of the process of learning to win, so that sounds promising.

Good luck, start off playing 1v1 and 2v2 to actually learn. So many minor things will frustrate you if you just play dominion over and over again because you never get a chance to really analyze what happened when you die in a big gangbang fight.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fuzz posted:

Except the amount of stamina it takes me to dodge is more than the amount of stamina it takes for him to bash, so.... eventually the math wins.

Edit: Words are hard.

Dodging takes no stamina though?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Welp, I don't know if it's something on my end or something with the update but I can't play this game anymore. Nothing but red NAT all the time now. I've gone through a ton of guides to try and fix it and nothing seems to be working. RIP

P sure Ubisoft servers are just hosed currently. Most people can't even log in, and if you do you have the hosed nat.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Liu posted:

can't seem to complete quests with the AI anymore, guess i missed that memo

vs AI games? Or games where you turned the matchmaker off and played you + 3 AI vs AI?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 30, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Did they change Shugoki in a recent patch? I haven't played the character in a while and it seems like Oni Rush doesn't cause knockdown anymore. Hit people dead on multiple times and they only got staggered, which meant no guaranteed heavy.

They indeed did nerf Oni to work as a bash/stagger instead of a knockdown. Not sure if you can even get a free light out of it now.

You can still clear bridges with it at least.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What do the devs even want the Fat Man to do? You can't steer the Oni Charge or even knock down with it anymore, your super armor can be eaten by guard breaks, and you get stomped on by pretty much everyone. I'm curious what the play style is even supposed to be anymore.

Kind of changes depending on the game mode:

1) if it looks like your opponent will gb then light into headbutt

2) if it looks like opponent will light or heavy, throw gb, armor eats their attack then you bash/throw them closer to a wall

3) wall bang throw into hug

Pretty difficult to crack a defensive opponent through considering your basically never leaving neutral first. I've seen hella high prestige Shugs do well with that style. Would be nice if he could headbutt off a missed light at least.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is GB techable if they catch you in a dodge?

Or is it guaranteed like the GB you get after a parry?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The season 2 changes look pretty good, especially the gear overhaul.

However no mention about implementing the some kind of cool arena/coliseum mode which I think would be awesome in this. Let people live bet steel on matches too.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
P sure you can remap on PS4 using the system configuration remaping and on steam I think you can remap using the controller settings via big screen mode (or whatever it's called).

If you bought on pc via uplay I guess your boned though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Shockeh posted:

How are there so many mechanics changes to give Raider mixups, and Shu stays exactly as is. How?

Sounds like they were working on the Raider changes for a while, even before the patch that nerfed Oni charge.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Conq is still in the highest tier of heroes. His bash isn't that slow. What's probably happening is your opponent knows your pattern (and conqs limited options into bash) and is able to predict dodge. Trying to dodge his bash on true reaction (only once you see the bash move wind up) is very difficult and some heroes actually can't dodge far enough at that last stage.

Try mixing up heavy feints by using the all block, and don't always bash after a forward dodge. YouTube up some high tier conq play to see. If your ever on the receiving end of a conq who is doing dodges into attack into all block and mixes that with dodge into bash it's rough.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

titties posted:

Holy poo poo that is good.

What level does that rarity start dropping at? I have PK at 5 and Nobushi at 3, everyone else is at 1 except for the new characters.

E: how do you even parry a light? I have played this game a fair amount and I have never been able to do that.

If your on console you basically can only parry a light on prediction. On pc it can be done on reaction but I believe only possible as a teenager or cracked out on stimulants.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I actually prefer playing on PS4 (I own it on pc too). The population is higher so the matchmaker does a good job of placing you with your skill level (I mainly play 1v1). Plus console is filled with thousands of literal 420weedlordxbongx players who are terrible (just like me).

The lower frame rate on console really reduces the ability to block 100% of lights. While this can be frustrating vs a PK, if you try and sit and block, I think it opens the game up from the defensive meta found on pc. The game can be a lot of fun if players are letting attack strings rip instead of waiting to parry the opposing player. It also lets more characters move set be used because you no longer have to stick to only the fastest attacks to have a chance of getting past your opponents guard.

Edit: captain__beans (two underscores because I'm so cool) on PSN if anyone is looking for games on PS4

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 5, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

FAUXTON posted:

How much of an issue is the frame rate thing?

If you play on pc then go play on PS4 you will notice it without question. But now that I haven't played on pc in a while I don't notice a problem with it.

I'd say the game is in a pretty good state on PS4 after the nerfs to centurion, especially considering you can pick it up on PS4 for like $15.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 23, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
They are allegedly reworking all the original heroes due to that creep.

Shaman is like the ultimate personification of the power creep, she can do almost everything. That’s fine I guess, I just think she needs to lose the heal ability and she could be quite balanced(but still makes some old heroes seem lame).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
As a new player try to resist the temptation to go 100% into the ‘flagship’ 4v4 mode Domination. Getting ganked in a 1vs many situation as a new player is very frustrating (later on 1v2 can almost be an advantage). Try to play some 1v1 duels, it will allow you to really focus on the mechanics of the game in isolation. It will also help expose you to the different opposing classes and how to face them (knowing the capabilities of your opponent is just as important as knowing your own character). Treat duels as a learning opportunity, to see what you can/can’t do. Don’t get upset if you get whooped (it will happen).

When you find a character your interested in playing more and want to focus on them, go look on YouTube for someone who plays that class to help pickup tricks. There is a lot more to playing each class than just knowing their list of combos.

Take a look at the options for controls and UI, they are quite extensive. I turned off all the crazy rear end fire explosion emote effects for example.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 26, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Raged posted:

Are there any particular YouTubers that put out good guides? Trying to find one for the Warden Vanguard (because I am boring) and not having much luck

Edit: Never mind think I found a good one.

Edit 2: Any recommended characters for someone who is getting old and doesn't have the reaction speed they used to have?

As a getting old myself I play a lot of Warden, Raider, Shugoki. I also play on PS4 which compared to PC slows your reaction window down too.

Warden is great because he has a very fast guard switch, but it can be difficult to crack open a defensive player. The lack of many moves mean you don't have to memorize a bunch, but you need to be creative in mixing up stuff to get into your opponents mind. This youtube has a ton of high level Warden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbilcRtTGU

Raider has a slower guard switch which can get you in trouble if you try to start blocking all the light chains some of the faster heroes throw at you, but he has a pretty nasty mixup mind game. Like Warden, you don't have a huge move list so its all about how you mix up the mind games. Raider is also a good introduction to unblockables, his zone attack can be used any time to fire off an unblockable. I find going on the offensive to be easier on my reactions than defensive, and I think Raider plays into that well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWT19syEyk0 this guy has a lot of Raider videos.

Skugoki just has a very different playstyle all together due to this hyper armor that allows you to take hits and trade damage.

Lastly this youtube called For Honor Hero school has a lot of good in depth videos on heroes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJOTpSIIvAI Some of these are slightly out of date, but they do a great job of demonstrating the details in each character extend well beyond their defined move list.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 27, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Are you on PC? I’m on ps4 and I don’t see team differences like that anymore.

Occasionally I’ll see a big rep difference in duel or brawl, but the text comparing your ‘skill level’ (opposed to rep) is usually accurate. I’ve played some 20+ rep people who were total poo poo, I assume they just play a ton of games.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I though Warlord had recovered from his initial over nerf when they buffed him back up a bit?

He definitely suffers from the ‘initial character balance’ effect though. His special stuff like hyper armor and superior block are very widespread now. However, he is still the best character at ledge killing people, as his throw range is far and easily aimed in any direction. A lot of players don’t take advantage of that because chucking people off ledges is looked down on by some, but I think it’s needed for Warlord to not be poo poo tier.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is lawbringers throw distance really that far? When Warlord gets you on his shield and takes you for a ride it feels like you go forever. I think only Raiders over the should carry goes farther, and that is limited in only going straight forward.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

exquisite tea posted:

Did they make any changes to Zerker? She was my favorite but very difficult to win with as soon as that horrible dumbfucker Centurion was put into the game.

Zerk got a huge rework, gains uninterruptible hyper armor on light chains and heavy chain finishers are unblockable. YouTube up some videos to get an idea.

Centurion blows now btw. It’s much more difficult for him to get his cutscene beat down going now that he isn’t guaranteed a gb on parries.

Capn Beeb posted:

How's the valkyrie these days?

On console she is not great, but ok, thanks to her 500ms lights. On PC, she is in pretty rough shape, as PC players are able to react faster to the lights. Valk suffers from her chains requiring the 2nd hit to always be a light. If you fight someone who knows this you could be in for a rough time. However, she is such a rare pick that you may not run into players who understand how to counter her move set very often.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Comrayn posted:

For reasons I do not fully understand I bought this game and unsurprisingly suck major rear end. I’ve been looking at stuff on the game’s subreddit instead of doing work. Are there any other good resources? Any popular key rebinds? The default ctrl and alt don’t seem too convenient.

Controller is much more natural to play with, even on PC. If you have a controller, I would use it. There is some merit to keyboard+mouse being slightly more accurate, but that is only at extreme top tier (so who cares).

Early on it is easy to get rolled and feel like you suck, especially against characters you don't have much practice fighting against. Play plenty of duels (1v1 mode) at first, as it will help you learn without worrying about getting ganged up on, and because you have a greater chance of being placed into matches with appropriately skilled opponents (not garunteed though). Pick whatever character you think is cool and go watch some youtube videos. If you get lucky in a 1v1 and run into someone who is nice and playing the character you want to learn try to message them and see if they will rematch and throw some tips your way.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2018

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Comrayn posted:

I do have a controller I’ll give it a shot. I went with keyboard so I could use push to talk but oh well.

L1 is pretty useless, I would bind your discord push to talk to that.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Just don’t panic and light attack through it. If you let them get the sb off you have to play their guessing game of sb or gb. If you just light attack with your quickest move when you see them start up sb you can hit them before it either goes off, or before they recover from canceling sb into neutral.

Also you can keep good distance, if you get the spacing correct you can just unlock and walk away.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Just be boring and use gear that has +5% better everything instead of the insane poo poo that’s +20 one stat, -20% everything else.

I don’t like to use those crazy swing stat gear pieces because I don’t want damage/stamina to change drastically as I switch between gear stat modes (4v4) and non gear stat modes 1v1, 2v2).

What character would you like a current guide for?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 8, 2018

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I still hate centurion. Get hit once and you've lost all your stamina, get knocked against a wall and you're basically instantly dead :ohear:

I used to hate him too until I unlocked him and realized all of his openers can be shut down with a light attack. His kick has to follow a forward dodge, if you see him dodge forward, just light attack. Don’t try to predict dodge his kick because he may just forward dodge into gb and catch you. If he goes for a charge heavy, don’t try to parry it. The variable charge time will get you in trouble every time. Instead just light attack. If you play a character with slow light attacks just accept your death.

Although you are right about being OOS vs cent is very bad indeed.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you having problems with zone attacks (and are using a controller) try to consciously think to hit heavy ‘first’, but still try to hit both buttons at the same time. That sounds strange but it seems to work for me.

Shugoki is in kind of a rough place right now, although I still love me some fat man. His offense has no really strong moves that force a tight reaction. You’ll really need to master basics like Mind games, feints and knowing your opponents move set. Try playing much more passively, and try this exercise - never press light attack until you see your opponent attack first. They will hit you, but the hyper armor will let your light attack connect (unless they have a confirmed 2nd hit, you’re pretty hosed then). Then headbutt, get in their face and do it again. Occasionally throw a heavy, feint, then gb. No doubt you will lose some games like this (some attacks may out trade you in damage), but stick with it. This will help to enforce that Shugo fights are about a series of engagements where you trade damage, then the fight is ‘reset’ (headbutt or you run away to get hyper armor back). The pace should be slow. Later on you will need to master learning when you can take a hit on the hyper armor and gb through the hit, which leads to the throw -> wall splat -> confirmed embrace. Play duels to really learn him, 4v4s are tough without really knowing Shugs style. You take extra bonus damage when you take hits without the hyper armor, making getting ganked as Shug very dangerous.

To start beating mid level players reliably you’ll need to start using every dirty trick in the book. If you manage to get someone on the ground you can perfect the timing of the hug to catch them on wake up(correct timing is tight, but done correctly they can’t dodge). There is an emote that looks like the start of Deamons Embrace, you can use that to hopefully force a dodge and catch them. Do crazy rolls in middle of combat (for some reason people always seem to throw a gb, which bounces off the throw), and throw a light attack as soon as your out. Do weirdo moves where you turn away to start running, then unlock attack (this whips you around instantly for an attack). Use the Oni Charge even though it doesn’t confirm you any damage to maybe force a dodge that you can catch with a gb. The zone attack, even if parried, should leave you out of range of any character besides Nobushi (you must not hold move forward while using zone, instead hold move backward).

Basically you have to hustle to go on offense with Shugoki, and most tricks could be used as any character and be more effective than using them as Shugoki. I do love sitting on people and rubbing my tummy on executes, so although there are defiantly more effective characters out there, I still love the fat man.

TopRamenShaman on YouTube has a lot of Shugoki videos, he’s good but not godlike. So I feel like he is a good template for learning.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Just attack into a feint heavy zerker.

Don't be tempted to play his game. If you sit there are try to react to swing, feint, swing, feint, ect. eventually you will guess wrong.