Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the revenge of british ootsuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

idk I'm sure those good catholic missionaries have only the best of intentions

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Oribe choosing to use his smug little goblin powers for someone else's sake is some good character development

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol sasuke lives in the souboutei house

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

furuta is right, adult treehouse is the peak of aesthetics

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lmao

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Isawa's soul is immense

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 62: Anarchy in Japan

See that?

That's character development, that is.

rikyu realized something far later than everyone else in japan: it is impossible to stay mad at sasuke's audaciousness

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Thanks for posting Oskar Andersson! My favourite is still the man who refuses to hold his hat down.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 64: Furuta Oribe and Hot Stuff

Sasuke continues his innovations in kitsch by inventing screen printing

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 38: In Tokyo

What a low level battle.

I love the comfy low stakes energy

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Ah, the judging eyes of children.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 68: Edo Frontier

Sasuke is an extremely talented liar.

Well yeah he's an art dealer

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 71: Mount Kintoki Dreamin'

masamune was the first man to wear random latin character clothing

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Fagtastic posted:

gently caress, same thing up here in Brisbane. Oddest thing is, no-ones ever in them. Shouldn't be surprising as there is absolutely no one in the country who yearns for heinous American vomit chocolate. But then why are there empty ezmarts everywhere with fuckin Bitcoin ATMs in them? Convinced it's some kind of enormous money laundering scheme.

it is actually. all the american cereal/candy stores in britain were a giant money laundering operation by former afghan government people

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 72: D-Spot Tornado

Maybe showing up in full battle array was not the best way to present oneself as a seeker after knowledge.

I wonder - Date came south intending not to be taken lightly (you must not be taken lightly), do you think he managed that?

part of looking like a kabuki man symbolizes that he only seems threatening, but in reality he is comic relief

love how this manga works at multiple levels

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

It makes me feel very dumb at times because I don't know why stuff is meaningful

it helps when you realize a lot of the people are drawn like traditional japanese theatre characters

rikyu represents the ultra serious formalism of noh, sasuke is a goofy kyogen character, and now date is the prototype of a vulgar kabuki protagonist

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think he's overestimating the international demand for Japanese sake. I haven't really seen in in places which don't offer Japanese cuisine. Sometimes there's Japanese beer like Asahi on the menu, but sake is still relatively rare. And honestly, it doesn't really taste all that great. It's fermented rice water and tastes pretty much like the description.

Fancy sake has become a collectors item like wines and other liquors, add in the fact that every city on earth now has a $200 omakase menu and yeah I can see it.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 73: My Song Is Your Song

Drove my chevy to the levee but the levee was made of inferior clay~

get ready for Flat Affect Sociopath VS The World's Most Emotional Clown

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

btw the vase sasuke got is called yonaga and is a big cultural treasure in japan, a lot of tea ceremony vases copy its design

like this gilded one you can see at the met

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i was reading nobunaga no chef and it appeared there too so i had to look it up :shobon:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 74: Dark Tea King

interesting to see hideyoshi's ridiculously gilded armor now as both a symbol of his new rejection of rikyu and his attempt at cosplaying nobunaga for credibility

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

now this is some beautiful artwork

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

sasuke is too pure to live in the sengoku period

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, that makes sense, actually. The guard probably just has that wish that his work goes well.

I think that's Numakawa. Wishing to be super-rich is obviously Isawa's so I think Miyamoto actually just wished for eternal good times with his only friends :unsmith:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Huh, I hadn't even realised they were in frame! I guess Numakawa's the sweetie, then.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 76: Smells Like Child Spirit

.....so all the weird abstract shapes that adorn a lot of painted japanese ceramics were actually invented by a child to be used as a marketing gimmick

this loving manga

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

important to note that the mori clan at the time were hegemons of basically all of western japan. rikyu isnt hinting at some internal palace coup but a civil war

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

That would certainly explain why Lord Mori is so willing to speak out against the Toyotomi. That's usually not a... Life extending move.

yeah terumoto's grandad mori motonari was basically the littlefinger of japanese history who set up the family as hegemons of everything west of the oda/toyotomi. they're like the tokugawas in that hideyoshi doesnt have direct control over their forces

Bro Dad has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Apr 29, 2024

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Edit: Katwin rules.

Yikes.

jesus christ hideyoshi

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

you may murder my friends and steal my daughter but you will pry this tea urn from my cold dead hands

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 74: Aesthete's Crossroads

guys will just look at this and say hell yeah

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 50: Messiah

A happy ending! For now!

glad our boys finally got a win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

wait the japanese government gives you meat for paying taxes??