Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Okay I've been holding back on this theory because I felt like it's potentially spoilers but I feel the latest TBC has enough evidence to support me.

The one that's setting off all the nuclear wars is one of the Ulf's surely? He's manipulated the other Ulf's into finding potential triggers for the wars and is..... Some how using that information to cause them? The two flaws I can see with my theory are:

1) How would Ulf manipulate events in another Ulf's timeline even if he knows what will cause it?

2) Ulfs can read each other's minds, how could he keep the rest from not finding out?

Regardless, I'm positive there's an evil Ulf out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

+1 to enjoying Concerned. It and 8 bit theater were my big introductions to webcomics.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I've read all of these before but I love the series.

Particularly when the author starts going into nitty gritty detail about medieval life, dude is a genuine history buff.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I teach kids about that age, Boulet is spot on about most children's imaginations. They're just as bad when it comes to writing. Now I'll usually let slide characters named Naruto but last week we were writing a suspense story with a focus on setting, during the planning stage I had to ask them not to write about The Backrooms/the setting for that Huggy Wuggy thing/FNAF.

We had just read The Wolves In The Walls by Neil Gaiman, we expect and encourage them to copy ideas they've seen as long as it's fit for purpose.

Boulet fails when the kids are continuing his comic with what he sees as clichés, to the kids that's not a cliche that's just how stories go. If he wanted them to experiment he could of "yes, and" their ideas or give them inspiration points like key words or images to include.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I'm having a hard time parsing what I see here but it appears to be one of those caterpillar robots from sonic but green and with huge hands.

I don't like it.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Splicer posted:

I mean it's superman. You're not going to get away and he's not going to break your arms for shooting at him or whatever so, you know, why not?

I bet bullets that repelled off of Superman sell as collector's items.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Gotta give credit where it's due: that was some drat fine swan boy.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That line really would be at home in a Simpsons episode. A good one. I'm not sure who'd be saying it, though it's almost Homer.

It's Lenny. It'd be delivered in an off hand, casual way possibly in reaction to something to do with Homer.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

Y-CHROMOSOMES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

At this point I think I trust Thorsby over your "conventional" science.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Has it been long enough for someone to start posting newspaper Spiderman again? That's what got me here in the first place but I caught it near the end.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Big thank you to Kenny Mann for beanworld posting. I started reading it late in the story so I've actually gone back to the beginning to read it properly now.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I'm going to be honest, I've fallen off of school of world. After a while seeing it pop up my heart would sink at the thought of having to read it. The premise ran thin a long time ago.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I remember this, it was linked on VGcats (please don't judge me) back in the day which is how I found it. For the era I guess it was good enough for me to stick with to the end, kind of just fizzles out but there were glimpses of something half decent over its run.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I want to shout out the lunchbox panel. In almost every other manga the whole "woman makes food, it looks awful but tastes great " twist the food will be either be depicted lazily as possible like a black sludge or an over the top joke with tentacles or censorship blurring. What I admire here is that while the food is not well presented, it is identifiable food that's just a bit roughly handled and over stuffed. What's great is it doing some great show not tell; the husband's high food standards are the cause of his disappointment and the wife's slapdash meal we can infer from her busy work life. It's not even mean spirited as so many other jokes like this are!

Anyway I'll take a double baconator and a sprite.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I've been enjoying the comics thread for over a year now, I won't list every thing I've enjoyed here so let me just say thank you for introducing me to so many things I have enjoyed.

I've finally found something I want to share but before I dive into it; is it okay to link directly from mangadex here or should I put it up on Imgur or something first? Where are you guys linking images from?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Okay here goes nothing, introducing Nick and Lever.

From the Mangadex description:

quote:

The story of two foreign men living in Japan.

(from ebookjapan):

Nick, with his stylish hair, and Lever, with his dazzling eyes behind his sunglasses, are a HOT & CRAZY foreign duo who will face any obstacles that come their way!

The genius Kyogoro Miyata, who wastes no time in drawing, unleashes a shocking high-speed manga. Nick and Lever are finally here!

I stumbled across this series very recently and to my great delight I found that 1) It was still being translated. 2) The author had recently turned to independently publishing the series on their website, one of the later chapters links to something like a Japanese patreon if I get to posting it. It's a series of very short (usually just two pages) gag comics about two increadibly upbeat yet dense Americans living a carefree lifestyle in Japan. There's far too many things in it that I love for me to try and talk about all at once here but I feel these first pages from comic zero highlight one of them perfectly.

Right there, Nick's projectile eyeball, is a recurring gag that I adore. While Nick and Lever feels very Japanese in the writing and has a very distinct realism artstyle, it features the kind of cartoony expressions and 4th wall humour that when layed over the other two just tickles me the right way.

For now, I'm going to skip chapter 1 (because it's 12 pages long) just to show case more of what I mean. Here's chapter 2:

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

Aaaaahhhh this was totally on my list of things to post. Ah well. Do the boys justice! And yeah, I rehost all my stuff on imgur.

By all means do, I'm unlikely to be consistent so if you've got the drive go for it!

Emzedoh posted:

No no, you're stuck with them now. I've got a long long list, I'm happy for you to take them.

CheeseThief has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Nov 17, 2023

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Alright because it's the weekend let's get chapter 1 done, 0 and 2 are more representative of the manga's usual content but chapter 1 is an extra long episode formally introducing our titular characters.

Nick's projectile eye saves the day! This chapter firmly establishes the themes of the comic and the pair's powerful friendship.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something about Nick and Lever looks weirdly familiar. I also get very Beavis and Butthead vibes from them.

I've heard that they're actually based on wrestlers, Nick in particular is a dead ringer for someone in the WWE, but I don't know enough about wrestling to say for sure.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

You (depicted as the incel): I have lost faith in Cooking Papa's credentials!

Me (as the chad): (packing aromatic vegetables tighter inside the bird, knowing they will shrink).

Trust in papa

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Nick & Lever chapters 3 - 5

Chapter 5 is definitely my kind of jam, I love this kind of stuff.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Let's see how Nick and Lever are doing!

Ecologically concious Lever.

I'll admit it took me more than one read to properly get this last one.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Nick and Lever are here to play!
Nick and Lever, two wholesome boys to brighten your day!

A personal favourite. Lever is a good boy who plays by the rules, he's just happy he can enjoy such savings!

Why were you carrying those around, Lever?

First time I read this one I couldn't figure out the punchline. Apparently it's a bit of a cultural joke, what they're eating is a type of jelly for feeding insects.

Thank goodness you were only light.... cropped?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Time for a bumper crop of winter themed Nick & Lever! I swear I didn't plan for the Christmas chapter to land in December, it's a Christmas miracle!

Lever on the naughty list, unthinkable!

Nick seems to agree...

We should all strive to be the kind of friend Nick is to Lever.

This just seems efficient to me.

Modern problems require modern solutions.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Kennel posted:

I'm glad that she exploded.

Every time mom is on the screen she should be exploding. Just explosion.gif overlayed on her every frame

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Nick & Lever

Chapters 23 to 28

Sorry for the long delay, this is a hell of a busy time of year for me.

Not much I want to comment on these chapters, 24 stands out for two reasons. I think this is the first time we've seen Nick's hair without product in it and this is also the first time the boys have straight up died. (Yes, the first time.)

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Time for Nick & Lever!

April Fool's day

Forced entry

A Major Discovery (Lever repping SA in this one.)

(That last page, such high quality for what is essentially a silly gag comic.)

Loser

(I saw some notes from the translator, in the original Japanese Nick's manner of speaking is supposedly very childish.)

Lever's Morning

(Meanwhile Lever's Japanese is very polite and feminine, also that backpack he's wearing in the last page is apparently of a type for elementary school kids.)

(Over all, in terms of the Japanese they use, Nick & Lever are supposedly perfectly fluent and understanable but switch between alphabets arbitarily giving the impression of foreigners speaking correctly but without knowing the naunces a native speaker would.)

As you've all heard Nick & Lever has ended, well more accurately it had ended a while ago but now translations have reached the end. We've still got plenty of chapters for me to procrastinate over actually posting! We haven't even hit peak Nick & Lever yet and my favourite chapter is still on the horizon.
I believe the translations were a one man effort so shout out to them, I'm just grabbing these from Mangadex to share because I genuinely think more people need to see these.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Nick & Lever

Screw loose

Shadow puppets

An eye for an eye

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Nick is a real human being.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

SimonChris posted:

Velvet Gewgaw

You wish to vibe check the vibe knight? Greater warriors than thee have tried....

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Nick & Lever Episode 38: The end of the rainy season.

Been a while, right? I keep forgetting, I'll try to less pages more frequently.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I just saw this video the the Nick & Lever volume 1 cover and never before have my eyes seen such a perfect thing.

https://i.imgur.com/i3yIN5J.mp4

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

<How long has this been here?

Well shucks goon, I'm greatly obliged. I'll pay you back with another chapter tomorrow, I'd do it right now but I just got into bed.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

As promised here's some more Nick & Lever

Putting out bottles of ethanol is supposed to scare off animals I think?

This one could use some explaining I think? Nick has applied a "screen tone" to his body to even out his tan, what is a screen tone? Well, when you see something like this in a manga:

It's a screen tone. Rather than the artist applying light and shade across the page you can buy sheets of translucent patterned sheets, lay it over the area you want and cut it to size.

A few days ago Nick & Lever's author, Miyata Kyogoro, posted this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/miyatakyogoro/status/1752481825061298253

So, no Netflix deal in the work as of yet.
Now, I'm not an expert in the Japanese manga scene but I understand that authors like Kyogoro from the more indie scene publish through a website called fanbox. Here's a link to Miyata Kyogoro's:

https://fantia.jp/fanclubs/502997

I don't know how it works but my understanding is that Nick & Lever is still being published (for free!) as a webcomic, not sure if there are translations yet but I have seen new pages in Japanese floating around. The site is mostly in Japanese so I imagine it's not the easiest thing to set up but if you feel motivated to why not sign up and become a fan? Check out this bitching new year's art:

Also, big shout out to the English translator of Nick & Lever. On Manga dex the uploader is credited as boogal of Gikopoi Translation Squad, I hope that's the same person because I don't want to attribute their achievements to an unrelated third party. Either way, they're the one bringing Nick & Lever to the west and deserve all the praise.

And, as always, thank you for loving Nick & Lever.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

There's no way that last panel is not a set up. The boyfriend is going to be hunted like an animal for twenty straight updates, I stake my life on it.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

I started reading this thread like... Two years ago because I caught the tail end of newspaper Spiderman and loved it. I hung around after hoping it would start up again from the beginning and while waiting I caught all of Thorsby et al. I ignored beanworld for most it's run until I gave it a chance, then went back to read it al because of how much I liked it. I still read the thread every day even if I don't post, I love having a wide range of comics I can just read on my phone whenever I need five minutes to myself or need to commute. Same reason I check in with the Daily Life of a Certain NEET everyday.

Is the thread slower/less populated than before? Not to any extent I've noticed, to me this thread is the best place to find something new to read.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'll have a double baconator and a small frosty.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Shorter, more frequent but same great taste: Nick & Lever

Chapter 41

Chapter 42

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Some summer themed fun with Nick & Lever

Chapter 43 The Perfect Place

Looks like Nick developed a taste for ethanol since trying it that one time.

Chapter 44 Let's Clean Up

So much in this page is worthy of comment: the fireworks, Nick's elation in the second panel...

These boys got good morals, I tell ya'.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Nick & Lever here again to chase away those winter blues with some summer themed fun!

Chapter 45 (mislabelled as 43): Hut of Horror

We're bugs!

Chapter 46: Buffet's Open (Featuring Nick's sweet rear end convertible!)

I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to translate and then typeset everything on display here, I think the translator made the right choice in translating just one to get the joke across.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

This is excellent news!

To celebrate I'll post this special chapter that I have no idea where it fits in to what was published, it seems it was a twitter extra? Either way please enjoy Nick & Lever Sidestory: Cosplay

Lit! Cool!

Lever's really gone all out with his costume! If you look closely at the details between the two you can really see the difference: Nick's is shoddy, seemingly home made in places, while Lever's is high quality store bought. He's a dedicated fan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Donardo giving himself a quick mammogram in the last panel, at his age it's important to check for lumps.

ikanreed posted:

Nun headquarters.

Pro celibate sounds way nicer than incel, maybe it's just been a branding problem this entire time? Incel? Unfuckable? Nah, I'm professionally celibate.